PDA

View Full Version : onesec.... VORTEX rearsets

Trip
03-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I ended up purchasing these today since I no longer have a right side. We will see what the quality is of them now. I went with these because they are only $250 and for the 07 600RR, it makes it real easy to go to GP shift, which the stock ones cant do.

dReWpY
03-16-2008, 12:55 PM
how easy is it to set up the rear brake light switch on those?

Trip
03-16-2008, 12:57 PM
how easy is it to set up the rear brake light switch on those?

dont know dont care, i never use my rear brake without the front brake on the street anyway. I will probably just pull the wire for the rear brake switch. I know they have an adapter you can get to use it though.

DLIT
03-16-2008, 12:57 PM
What do they look like? Personally, I wouldn't even set up the rear switch. I never use it.

Trip
03-16-2008, 01:05 PM
What do they look like? Personally, I wouldn't even set up the rear switch. I never use it.

assholes

go to hell onesecondfaster

DLIT
03-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Any reviews on 'em? I want a pair of adjustables.

Trip
03-16-2008, 01:11 PM
from kanwisch at twf

I bought a set of rearsets for my '05 Kawi ZX-6R because I got tired of shelling out for a complete OEM set any time the right side went down at any speed.

Sato and Gilles are among the favorites out there, but are incredibly pricey. Got my OneSecondFaster rearsets for ~$225 (IIRC) and they're made entirely in the U.S. with U.S. machinery tools and materials. That was a big plus for me.

Install instructions were only fair as there is only 2-3 pictures, but they weren't overly complicated to understand. The finish is really nice on them and, of course, they're very adjustable. I haven't ridden on them to give feedback on flex yet but will do so once it warms up here.

I did have two issues on the install. One was that one of the holes wasn't tapped all the way through, though it was close enough for me to force the bolt through a few times which allowed it to be loose enough to get the bolt entirely through. Locktite, of course, is recommended for all fittings.

The other issue I had was that, following OSF's instructions, my shifter wouldn't move once the peg bolt (which pinches the shifter) was tightened to spec. Perhaps it was the cold of winter but I realized some 2 months later that removing one of the shims included and recommended for install resolved the problem, with only a very slight negative impact in side-to-side motion. I seriously doubt I'll ever note it with my foot.

In terms of customer communication, I was initially very unhappy because my initial request for help on the two aforementioned issues went completely unanswered. I figured out the first problem on my own but followed with a second email to them. Turns out their spam filter didn't like my Hotmail account and one of the guys happened to catch that some of their email was being incorrectly dumped. He was apologetic and helped immediately. I'm now quite satisfied with customer service there. In hindsight, I should've just called them.

During that email discourse Chris indicated they were looking at picking up a CNC lathe at which point pegs would drop to $10ea This is why shims are currently included in the rearset purchase but the instructions need to be revised to indicate that one should only use as many as needed to provide a tight but operable fit. Obvious in hindsight.

I checked out sato/vortex/gilles and just decided to go cheap because expensive parts break just as quickly as cheap parts in a hard slide.

Amber Lamps
03-16-2008, 03:59 PM
from kanwisch at twf

I checked out sato/vortex/gilles and just decided to go cheap because expensive parts break just as quickly as cheap parts in a hard slide.

I have the Gilles rearsets. Do these use bearings at the pivot points? Is every part,down to the screws, individually available for purchase? I crashed and broke two parts on the right side. I paid around $50 and had the parts in a couple days.

Mr Lefty
03-16-2008, 04:04 PM
from kanwisch at twf

anyone invite him over?

Trip
03-16-2008, 04:05 PM
I have the Gilles rearsets. Do these use bearings at the pivot points? Is every part,down to the screws, individually available for purchase? I crashed and broke two parts on the right side. I paid around $50 and had the parts in a couple days.

yep, you can buy each part seperately.

Amber Lamps
03-16-2008, 04:08 PM
yep, you can buy each part seperately.

Sweet! You ought to get an extra base plate and foot peg or two,just in case...

kanwisch
03-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Sweet! You ought to get an extra base plate and foot peg or two,just in case...

The pegs will be down to $10 once they get a CNC machine. Ballbearings basically are used at the levers (brake, shifter) and they are very smooth.

Brake light is avail using a Banjo connection, purchased separately. As has been said, what's the point? Well, besides being DOT-approved, but if you've done your can(s) or changed your plate or signals then you're already out of compliance so don't bother.

kanwisch
03-17-2008, 10:57 AM
I have the Gilles rearsets. Do these use bearings at the pivot points? Is every part,down to the screws, individually available for purchase? I crashed and broke two parts on the right side. I paid around $50 and had the parts in a couple days. Don't know that detail level yet. Main pieces obviously yes, the rest are the kind of bolts I think I can pick up at some auto-specialty hardware places.

I kept busting the whole bracket on my 636's sets which is why I went this route. That and I ground up my left peg at Mid-Ohio so I'm hoping for some more clearance.

kanwisch
03-17-2008, 10:58 AM
anyone invite him over? OSS did but I was still evaluating whether I need another place to check.

fpzx10
03-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Interesting.

And I agree on the rear brake. If I'm using it, I'm off the pavement and won't need a light

marko138
03-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Do you guys have state inspection, Trip?

Trip
03-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Do you guys have state inspection, Trip?

nope, thats why I can get away with it.

marko138
03-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Yeah that shit don't fly here. PA sucks.

Mr Lefty
03-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Yeah that shit don't fly here. PA sucks.

rear sets don't fly with inspections? :wtf:?

Trip
03-17-2008, 04:27 PM
rear sets don't fly with inspections? :wtf:?

if you have a rear brake that doesnt trigger the brake light.

azoomm
03-17-2008, 04:31 PM

You mean, your bikes don't have that with rear sets? interesting.

Cutty72
03-17-2008, 04:33 PM
You mean, your bikes don't have that with rear sets? interesting.

It's an option... but they are choosing to not go through the hassle of hooking it up.
Claim they never use the rear brake w/o the front.

azoomm
03-17-2008, 04:37 PM
It's an option... but they are choosing to not go through the hassle of hooking it up.
Claim they never use the rear brake w/o the front.

Huh... interesting. Mine are all more simple than that. Just remove the stock pegs and bolt on rear-sets. There was one "complicated" part that was a tiny little secure clip that had to be put on with dental tools. But, that was it. Electrical for the brake is not with the pedal. And, if I want to go to GP Shift, it's one bolt.

ceo012384
03-17-2008, 05:24 PM
Not that I want you to wreck again, but I'd like to know how those rearsets hold up in a crash before I decide to take that route over woodcraft/sato/gilles/etc
Personally, I wouldn't even set up the rear switch. I never use it.
Yup, don't need it.

Trip
03-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Huh... interesting. Mine are all more simple than that. Just remove the stock pegs and bolt on rear-sets. There was one "complicated" part that was a tiny little secure clip that had to be put on with dental tools. But, that was it. Electrical for the brake is not with the pedal. And, if I want to go to GP Shift, it's one bolt.

There should be a spring running to a wire that has a plunger like switch that sends the signal to the light.

azoomm
03-17-2008, 06:21 PM
There should be a spring running to a wire that has a plunger like switch that sends the signal to the light.

Plunger is on the bottom... it's all contained. Just remove the old, and bolt on the new.

Trip
03-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Plunger is on the bottom... it's all contained. Just remove the old, and bolt on the new.

yeah you have a different style hook up then a lot of bikes. Yours is actually a button, not a plunger. I have a spring that attaches under the brake lever that pulls the plunger. It's not attached to the actual braking mechanism.

Mr Lefty
03-18-2008, 06:04 AM

ahh ok... yeah I can see that being illegal

kanwisch
03-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Not that I want you to wreck again, but I'd like to know how those rearsets hold up in a crash before I decide to take that route over woodcraft/sato/gilles/etc Kawiforums discusses these somewhat extensively (for a niche manu anyway) and there are guys on there who crashed. Check there if you want the skinny on crashing with them.

ceo012384
03-18-2008, 10:32 PM
Kawiforums discusses these somewhat extensively (for a niche manu anyway) and there are guys on there who crashed. Check there if you want the skinny on crashing with them.
Got a link? I'm a lazy piece of shit.

Trip
03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
It's been 10 days since I ordered these no shipping notice, no response to emails, does not answer the phone, I have left messages........

JoJoYZF
03-26-2008, 07:49 PM
Did you order them straight from onesecondfaster? Thats pretty fucked up

Mr Lefty
03-26-2008, 08:07 PM
It's been 10 days since I ordered these no shipping notice, no response to emails, does not answer the phone, I have left messages........

was your account charged?

if not I'd be putting an alert to hold payment... then take my money elsewhere...

Amber Lamps
03-26-2008, 09:00 PM

I'm sorry Bro! If you're interested I know of a pair of TiForce rearsets and a set of Vortex rearsets. I can see if they're still available both were around $200. They have them at the dealership here. Some yahoos order them and don't pick them up. Let me know and I'll check tomorrow.

Trip
03-26-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm sorry Bro! If you're interested I know of a pair of TiForce rearsets and a set of Vortex rearsets. I can see if they're still available both were around $200. They have them at the dealership here. Some yahoos order them and don't pick them up. Let me know and I'll check tomorrow.

get me a quote on both to ship to knoxville if they have them and pm me, I need to get payment cancelled on these first.

Trip
03-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Where's kanwisch when you need him, I can't get in contact with this mofo for nothing. I am going to call my credit card company tomorrow if he doesn't respond to my phone or email messages.

ceo012384
03-28-2008, 01:46 AM
Fuck that shit man... get the ottimoto ones like I told you on AIM. No communication with buyers is my big pet peeve. It's FAR worse than the delay itself. He could have the courtesy to let you know what the deal is.

kanwisch
03-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Where's kanwisch when you need him, I can't get in contact with this mofo for nothing. I am going to call my credit card company tomorrow if he doesn't respond to my phone or email messages. Been out sick. There is a lead time on the rearsets, guess I forgot to put that in there, oops.

Let me think...... my lead time was something like two weeks and it noted it in the Ebay auction. Also, as I did note in my OP on this org, they must have some overpowered spam filter because my Hotmails were getting dumped like Britney Spears. Its possible the same's happening to yours. And they definitely need to work on their Ecom system, its not up to what's considered quality by today's standard.

I'll PM you the direct email to Chris, who helped me out.

On the upside, I got the bike back together and am closely eyeing next Monday. If the rain shifts out of the forecast then I should have some feedback on Tuesday on how these suckers feel.

NeonspeedRT
03-28-2008, 10:45 AM
Be carefull with those rearsets. I've seen people post on multiple boards that they are pretty much crap. I've seen posts from horrible customer service to crappy product.

I've never used them, but from what i've read, you pretty much get what you pay for with them.

Amber Lamps
03-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Be carefull with those rearsets. I've seen people post on multiple boards that they are pretty much crap. I've seen posts from horrible customer service to crappy product.

I've never used them, but from what i've read, you pretty much get what you pay for with them.

YIKES! What about Gilles rearsets?

Trip
03-31-2008, 07:58 AM
Filed a dispute payment affidavit, should get my money back soon.

Found a place that sells vortex pretty cheap, and everyone at the track usually has parts for vortex. So I am going to go that route instead.

Mr Lefty
03-31-2008, 08:03 AM
I like my vortex rear sets... the fitment was a little tight... they needed a little grinding to fit properly... but nothing crazy... and I'd rather have them fit tight than loose...

ceo012384
04-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Filed a dispute payment affidavit, should get my money back soon.

Found a place that sells vortex pretty cheap, and everyone at the track usually has parts for vortex. So I am going to go that route instead.

Most track dudes I talked to weren't too hot on the vortex dealies... one said "I've crashed with woodcrafts and vortex. Don't buy vortex".

Trip
04-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Most track dudes I talked to weren't too hot on the vortex dealies... one said "I've crashed with woodcrafts and vortex. Don't buy vortex".

One reason I bought vortex was because I was steered that way from racers because of the ease of getting parts when you do go down and most people have them at the track. Shit is going to break at speed no matter what you get.

Trip
04-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Well I got my vortex rearsets today and got em installed. Finally can do GP shift. God, these are nice. I am very happy with my purchase. I was finally able to get back on two now that these came in. It felt great. I missed riding so much. I will do a more in depth write up later and put in some pics. These were a super easy install.

ceo012384
04-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Well I got my vortex rearsets today and got em installed. Finally can do GP shift. God, these are nice. I am very happy with my purchase. I was finally able to get back on two now that these came in. It felt great. I missed riding so much. I will do a more in depth write up later and put in some pics. These were a super easy install.

Nice title edit :lol:

This your first chance at GP shift? Hard time adjusting?

It took me about one day of riding for it to become second nature.

Cutty72
04-11-2008, 12:14 AM
i really wish i could get the 1125 to GP shift... :tt:

Trip
04-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Nice title edit :lol:

This your first chance at GP shift? Hard time adjusting?

It took me about one day of riding for it to become second nature.

I had GP shift on the SV til I got the lowers, then it wouldn't work unless I cut the lowers and I didn't really want to do that and the coolant hoses on the RR just don't let you switchover real easy on the RR.

I have had a couple oopsies already, couldn't find neutral at one red light. Finally gave up and stalled out in 4th or 5th gear :lol:

ceo012384
04-11-2008, 12:19 AM
Haha the first couple rides I made some dumb mistakes... luckily none of them were near redline or it might have been a pretty hairy situation.

But now that I'm used to it.... GOD gp is so much better. Clicking off those clutchless upshifts feels so great.

marko138
04-11-2008, 08:40 AM
FUCK the GP shift.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-11-2008, 01:48 PM
I had GP shift on the SV til I got the lowers, then it wouldn't work unless I cut the lowers and I didn't really want to do that and the coolant hoses on the RR just don't let you switchover real easy on the RR.

I have had a couple oopsies already, couldn't find neutral at one red light. Finally gave up and stalled out in 4th or 5th gear :lol:

lol whens the last time you've done that on accident...

Trip
04-11-2008, 02:23 PM
lol whens the last time you've done that on accident...

It's been awhile. I got pretty decent at finding neutral in normal shift.

dReWpY
04-11-2008, 04:04 PM
hondas have silky smooth trannys

ceo012384
04-11-2008, 08:04 PM
FUCK the GP shift.
That's absolute pure retardation right there. Like we're talking IQ = shoe size level retardation.

marko138
04-12-2008, 11:41 AM
That's absolute pure retardation right there. Like we're talking IQ = shoe size level retardation.
Get over yourself.

Iv
04-17-2008, 09:55 PM
May be a bit late, but I love my vortex rearsets, and marko138 your welcome to your own opinion but gpshift is better, clutchless upshifts, with shift detent kit ftw. I use it on the street aswell... Pic of vortex rearsets as gpshift, I'm going to get the r6 parts to mod it into a 1 bar system but right now its using two;
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4512/vortexrearsetje3.png
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6240/vortexrearset2qr8.png

Trip
04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
May be a bit late, but I love my vortex rearsets, and marko138 your welcome to your own opinion but gpshift is better, I use it on the street aswell... Pic of vortex rearsets as gpshift, I'm going to get the r6 parts to mod it into a 1 bar system but right now its using two;

The 07 600rr parts are 1 bar. I know I can use 03-06 rearsets, I wonder why they just didnt do that in the first place.

Iv
04-17-2008, 10:01 PM
The 07 600rr parts are 1 bar. I know I can use 03-06 rearsets, I wonder why they just didnt do that in the first place.

Vortex didn't know about it untill customers started modding them to one bar. I know how to convert the 03-06 to a one bar just haven't gotten around to doing it plus my bike is plenty light heh but every little bit counts, I can't lose anymore weight with out haveing problems heh.

Mr Lefty
04-17-2008, 10:36 PM
May be a bit late, but I love my vortex rearsets, and marko138 your welcome to your own opinion but gpshift is better, clutchless upshifts, with shift detent kit ftw. I use it on the street aswell... Pic of vortex rearsets as gpshift, I'm going to get the r6 parts to mod it into a 1 bar system but right now its using two;
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4512/vortexrearsetje3.png
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6240/vortexrearset2qr8.png

I cluchless upshift 80% of the time anyways... and I'm standard shift. :idk:

what's the shift detent kit?

ceo012384
04-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Get over yourself.
Ok done. Now go try GP and realize how wrong you were.

Mr Lefty
04-17-2008, 11:00 PM
when I first got into bikes... I always thought it was weird the way things were setup... to me GP was the way I assumed it should be... I've yet to switch mine... not sure if I can... :idk:

ceo012384
04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
when I first got into bikes... I always thought it was weird the way things were setup... to me GP was the way I assumed it should be... I've yet to switch mine... not sure if I can... :idk:
I'll never go back.

I'm sure you can do it. It's a question of if it's a simple mod or if you need aftermarket rearsets to do it. It might be a little harder to find for the non-supersport bikes. I.e. if you had a zx-6r it might be more common, or if I instead had a yzf600 it might be less common, etc. Mine was a 5 minute job. Cash money.

Mr Lefty
04-17-2008, 11:07 PM
I'll never go back.

I'm sure you can do it. It's a question of if it's a simple mod or if you need aftermarket rearsets to do it. It might be a little harder to find for the non-supersport bikes. I.e. if you had a zx-6r it might be more common, or if I instead had a yzf600 it might be less common, etc. Mine was a 5 minute job. Cash money.

I have Vortex rearsets... and my bike is a ZX6r... it's the 02 version :wink:

I've asked the question on another forum that has alot of ZZR riders on it... so well see... but I'll try when I get home.

ceo012384
04-17-2008, 11:18 PM
I have Vortex rearsets... and my bike is a ZX6r... it's the 02 version :wink:

I've asked the question on another forum that has alot of ZZR riders on it... so well see... but I'll try when I get home.

I see. A lot of aftermarket rearsets just offer two different shift rods for the shift types.

Mr Lefty
04-17-2008, 11:23 PM
humm... mine is adjustable.. and I have quite a bit of play... just can't remember if I can flip the clamp or if I'll have to do some extra work...

Mr Lefty
04-18-2008, 06:15 AM
I may have an issue with both the frame and the front sprocket cover... :idk:

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u257/Ebbs15/My%20Bikes/DSCN0006-1.jpg

OneSickPsycho
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Can't tell from the pic, but you might be able to reverse it where the linkage runs into the lever... Possible clearance issues... again, I cannot tell. Def clearance issues if you did it at the output shaft...

Mr Lefty
04-18-2008, 11:17 AM
no the lever and where it attaches are all machined one piece...

ceo012384
04-18-2008, 03:48 PM
That makes me wonder if vortex makes a separate rearset for gp, probably has a rod with a kink in it to clear the frame... if you flip the bracket on the knurled shift rod does it clear the sprocket cover?

Amber Lamps
04-18-2008, 06:12 PM
That makes me wonder if vortex makes a separate rearset for gp, probably has a rod with a kink in it to clear the frame... if you flip the bracket on the knurled shift rod does it clear the sprocket cover?

We all used to ride GP style back in the day. I gave up on it when I quit goin to the track.

Ebbs,I think you should try it and see,I think that it'll be close but will work. Besides,it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.

Mr Lefty
04-18-2008, 08:32 PM

We all used to ride GP style back in the day. I gave up on it when I quit goin to the track.

Ebbs,I think you should try it and see,I think that it'll be close but will work. Besides,it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.

yeah the more I look at it... if I flip it it may JUST clear... the tightening bolt is on that side... only concern now would be the frame...

it's on my list to do when I get home:dthumb:

Cutty72
04-19-2008, 08:09 PM
Ebbs, you have tried it... when you rode my SV :lol:

Mr Lefty
04-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Ebbs, you have tried it... when you rode my SV :lol:

by trying it I meant... trying to convert my bike... :lol:

Cutty72
04-19-2008, 08:20 PM
by trying it I meant... trying to convert my bike... :lol:

add that to the "to do" list.

I think that bitch is getting pretty long :lol:

Mr Lefty
04-19-2008, 08:31 PM
not too terribly long

Change Oil and filter
Change fuel filter
Clean and Lube chain
install HID lights and delay
cut new fairings and install sliders
Wash wax and buff... (needs it after my fucking tarp rubed it so much on the way down from AK)

and, Convert to GP shift

Cutty72
04-19-2008, 08:37 PM
and ride

Mr Lefty
04-19-2008, 08:45 PM
and ride
and new signals... but those will take 30secs with the fairings already off...

I really think this will take 1 day AT MOST... I'll soak the chain and sprocket in Kero. first... let it soak till the last thing... cut the fairings while draining the oil...

I think I'll flush the coolant while I'm at it... I need to put a new overflow bottle on as it's required for the sliders... and I'll put some water wetter in.

and most fucking defiantly ride!

Cutty72
04-19-2008, 08:48 PM
and new signals... but those will take 30secs with the fairings already off...

I really think this will take 1 day AT MOST... I'll soak the chain and sprocket in Kero. first... let it soak till the last thing... cut the fairings while draining the oil...

I think I'll flush the coolant while I'm at it... I need to put a new overflow bottle on as it's required for the sliders... and I'll put some water wetter in.

and most fucking defiantly ride!

yeah, need to do a coolant flush on the SV too, and probably bleed the brakes as well...

ah well, i'm out for awhile.

Mr Lefty
04-19-2008, 08:49 PM
well if you haven't done it by then... bring it over... we'll do both! :lol:

Cutty72
04-20-2008, 08:03 PM
well if you haven't done it by then... bring it over... we'll do both! :lol:

Sounds like a plan...

marko138
04-21-2008, 09:03 AM
I heard someone say "Fuck the GP shift." I agree.

ceo012384
04-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Ebbs did you get it figured out? Possible or no?
I heard someone say "Fuck the GP shift." I agree.
Yeah I heard someone say that as well. Man he must have been a fucking moron.

Mr Lefty
04-23-2008, 03:34 AM
I think it's possible... won't know for sure till I try it in september... it'll be in my blog