PDA

View Full Version : How do you know which bike to buy?

No Worries
03-16-2008, 03:31 PM
How did you figure which bike to buy? Or how are you determining which bike to get next? Do you read reviews in magazines? Sit on them at the dealer and decide which feels best? Which one looks the best? Which one has the highest HP? The fastest? The most expensive? A Gixxer because all the stunters use them? The best according to the internet?

I like to read magazine reviews. I have a bunch of Zerox boxes full of motorcycle magazines from the late 70's to the mid 90's. I recently saw a 1995 Yamaha YZF750 for sale. I dug through my mags and found the April, 1996 issue of Motorcyclist Magazine where they compared the YZF against the GSX-R750 and ZX-7R.

The new (at the time) lightweight GSX-R won the competition. But to me, it wasn't the best bike. The Yami had the best brakes, made the least HP, only 103, had the best fit and finish, had the smoothest-shifting tranny, was the largest and roomiest, had the biggest fuel tank, and the best wind protection.

The Suzuki had to stay between 10,000 and 13,000 to go 2 full seconds quicker around the track than the Yamaha. It was also a half second quicker in the 1/4 mile. So if one only looked at the track and 1/4 mile time, the Suzuki is the winner. But I read deeper into the article and I actually ride on the streets, so the Yamaha was the winner for my tastes.

By the way, when I started looking through my magazines and finally found the right magazine, after looking through all the other articles, the bike had sold. Maybe next time.

DLIT
03-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Since all the major bikes are fairly close, except for Kawi, looks have a big part of it for me. Everybody has a GSXR and Honda's don't have a slipper clutch. I also read past reviews and forums to see what problems they have and see if the maker has corrected the problem. Like Yamaha with the R6's bearing problems. Fixed for '08 and the mid-range is more powerful. The R6 will be my next bike. Just don't know what year yet. It'll be an '08+, but it'll also be another two years before my bike's paid off.

NONE_too_SOFT
03-16-2008, 04:24 PM
I looked at the price tags first.

then i looked at the ones i liked.

Then i looked at the ones i didnt like as much.

Then i bought the one i like that felt comfy and was in my price range.

vabarber2
03-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Price, then looks, then you have to sit on em and realy go off of feel! Because all the manufacturers are keeping them neck and neck as far as performance!! I do read the reviews, but i would rather get a personal review from a friend because i know theyre style and what they're looking for so I ususaly try to find that first! Good thread!

OTB
03-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Where to start............

In my youth (yes, I WAS young once) I would read and research and all that stuff.

Now I look for deals on interesting bikes; buy for price and resale, knowing that I'll be riding another one in a couple of weeks or months. Most of the fun for me is in riding and comparing all the great stuff out there. There really are damn few BAD bikes.

azoomm
03-16-2008, 07:04 PM
My current bikes don't really count - they were part dream... part making things simple. One bike can serve parts to another so I don't ever have all bikes down. So, if something happens, I can order parts / snag parts and always have one running.

I'm right now researching motards... KTM is winning. That, primarily because they are run internationally through deserts, ponds, snow, everything and don't die...

lauralynne
03-16-2008, 07:59 PM
the voices in my head tell me what to ride.

marko138
03-16-2008, 08:28 PM
I read alot of mags. But the reviews are very similar. Almost identical. So they can't be trust too much. I look at torque, not necessarily HP. And the torque curve. Flat wins. Usability. I'm not gonna roll at 150, 160, 180+ mph. So top end don't mean shit to me. I want power where I can use it. Vtwin all the way. Buell has a nice torque curve, and they handle well. They are also unique and not every knucklehead on the block has one. In fact, no knucklheads own them. Win.

Mrs. Colleen
03-16-2008, 08:36 PM
My husband picked mine out...it was my first bike and my birthday present.

All I knew was that I did not want something as fast at the 91 Honda F4i 600 that I had first rode.

He picked it because it was in good shape and it was a good price...also because if I drop it (or if he drops it AGAIN :tt:) I will not be too upset. :dthumb:

t-homo
03-16-2008, 08:40 PM
My current bike, i liked it a lot, was a great beginner bike, and was cheap and close. I am hoping to sell it this spring for a couple hundred more than I paid for it. For me, being in the middle of missouri, I will be looking for the nicest bike that is close and in my price range. If I have a couple different ones to choose from, i will probably go with honda because of their reliability.

OneSickPsycho
03-16-2008, 10:22 PM
Where to start............

In my youth (yes, I WAS young once) I would read and research and all that stuff.

Now I look for deals on interesting bikes; buy for price and resale, knowing that I'll be riding another one in a couple of weeks or months. Most of the fun for me is in riding and comparing all the great stuff out there. There really are damn few BAD bikes.

What about the Bimota?

My current bikes don't really count - they were part dream... part making things simple. One bike can serve parts to another so I don't ever have all bikes down. So, if something happens, I can order parts / snag parts and always have one running.

I'm right now researching motards... KTM is winning. That, primarily because they are run internationally through deserts, ponds, snow, everything and don't die...

I've seen on another forum where a couple guys have blown their KTM's... Treat it like any other dirtbike and you'll be fine though...

I read alot of mags. But the reviews are very similar. Almost identical. So they can't be trust too much. I look at torque, not necessarily HP. And the torque curve. Flat wins. Usability. I'm not gonna roll at 150, 160, 180+ mph. So top end don't mean shit to me. I want power where I can use it. Vtwin all the way. Buell has a nice torque curve, and they handle well. They are also unique and not every knucklehead on the block has one. In fact, no knucklheads own them. Win.

I am a knucklehead and I own a Buell.

For me it was looks, v-twin, and then I rode one. I was looking for v-twins in any sort of variety and always liked the Buells... I wanted to pay cash for something, but I was sick of looking and knew I could afford the payments. Then I sold my bike and went the next weekend to test ride a Buell. I bought my bike that day.

Mudpuppy
03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
rode about every brand - ok not ducati or aprilla or buell - although i just can't get past the belt - i want a chain.. but i have rode all the major brands.. from a long time ago always been partial to yamaha.. then they came out with the R7 - next followed the R6 and R1.. that sold it for me.. i still wouldn't mind owning an R7 & R1 to go with my R6.. have one of each..

bombadillo
03-17-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm kinda in the same question boat right now. I'm currently riding a gs500e that I've done just about everything you can do to a stocker, and quite honestly getting kinda bored with the power its putting down. I was told that when I was bored, it was just me getting used to the power and then I could start to take it on its limits a little more. The problem is I only ride street, so I don't wanna tear up the streets because they have laws against that. This summer I'm gonna ride the crap out of the little thing and whether I'm bored or not ride it anyway. I'm gearing up for the next bike which has to primarily get around town and well. I would like something to be able to take on longer trips (250 miles per day), something that isn't afraid of the twisties, but isn't too punishing. Right now it seems to be the z1000 z750s fz6, sv650s (not the best tourer by all means but capable) f4i. Those seem to be the key tickets lately. Lemme know what anyone thinks.

t-homo
03-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Just from reading a lot I really want an f4i or r6 as my next bike. Probably have to go with a salvage title for money reasons, but thats ok because I plan on riding it until it dies.

dReWpY
03-17-2008, 01:07 AM
i bought the kawi cause it was a good deal, and i bought the rc51 cause i liked the looks and gasman told me to lol

marko138
03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
What about the Bimota?

I've seen on another forum where a couple guys have blown their KTM's... Treat it like any other dirtbike and you'll be fine though...

I am a knucklehead and I own a Buell.

For me it was looks, v-twin, and then I rode one. I was looking for v-twins in any sort of variety and always liked the Buells... I wanted to pay cash for something, but I was sick of looking and knew I could afford the payments. Then I sold my bike and went the next weekend to test ride a Buell. I bought my bike that day.

Ok...apparently 1 knucklehead.

No Worries
03-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I'm kinda in the same question boat right now. I'm currently riding a gs500e that I've done just about everything you can do to a stocker, and quite honestly getting kinda bored with the power its putting down. I was told that when I was bored, it was just me getting used to the power and then I could start to take it on its limits a little more. The problem is I only ride street, so I don't wanna tear up the streets because they have laws against that. This summer I'm gonna ride the crap out of the little thing and whether I'm bored or not ride it anyway. I'm gearing up for the next bike which has to primarily get around town and well. I would like something to be able to take on longer trips (250 miles per day), something that isn't afraid of the twisties, but isn't too punishing. Right now it seems to be the z1000 z750s fz6, sv650s (not the best tourer by all means but capable) f4i. Those seem to be the key tickets lately. Lemme know what anyone thinks.

The best all-around bike has to be Honda's 750 VFR. The new one's with the variable cams and fuel injection are complicated, but earlier ones are terrific buys. Almost always owned by enthusiasts, older models should be in great shape. Good looks, good handling, comfortable, and power right off idle make it great for sport/touring, commuting, streets, and canyon riding.

OTB
03-17-2008, 02:13 PM
The Bimota was one of those things that I had lusted after pretty much since I laid eyes on one back in the seventies, but dispaired of ever riding one, let alone actually owning one. I really didn't care which model; I just knew that if there was ever a time one came along and I had the cash....that I would buy one, period. They are just another bike though; light weight, yes; rolling sculpture, yes; but they still stop, turn and accelerate, they need service just like any other bike, and they can have annoying traits, just like any bike.

Ya know how you can tell you bought the right motorcycle?

You find yourself sitting out in an unheated garage on a cold, windy night staring at your mount with a slight smile................

t-homo
03-17-2008, 02:39 PM
The Bimota was one of those things that I had lusted after pretty much since I laid eyes on one back in the seventies, but dispaired of ever riding one, let alone actually owning one. I really didn't care which model; I just knew that if there was ever a time one came along and I had the cash....that I would buy one, period. They are just another bike though; light weight, yes; rolling sculpture, yes; but they still stop, turn and accelerate, they need service just like any other bike, and they can have annoying traits, just like any bike.

Ya know how you can tell you bought the right motorcycle?

You find yourself sitting out in an unheated garage on a cold, windy night staring at your mount with a slight smile................

What you need next is the Tesi 3D :drool:

fnfalman
03-17-2008, 02:49 PM
First I take into what sorts of riding I want to do then I begin to do research into those types of bikes and see which one a) seems to be the better performer, b) seems to be of good quality and c) check it out at the dealership to see if I like it & test ride. Prices aren't really a consideration because if I can't afford it, I wouldn't even bother to think about it in the first place. A few thousand one way or another don't mean squat if you're going to buy something you're not happy with.

Becca_007
03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
Right now it seems to be the z1000 z750s fz6, sv650s (not the best tourer by all means but capable) f4i. Those seem to be the key tickets lately. Lemme know what anyone thinks.

Skip the Z1000 if you are interested in long distance riding. The seating position is comfortable enough but there is zero wind protection. The Z750S had much better protection and the same comfortable riding position. On either of those bikes you would want to upgrade the seat itself though. A Corbin is perhaps the best mod I've purchased so far. I'm not sure about the other two bikes.

Cutty72
03-17-2008, 03:15 PM
The SV was a right place at the right time kinda deal.

My next bike...
I want something that is commuter comfortable
I want something that is trackable when I want
I like the street friendlyness of the V-twin (ie power everywhere)
Naked is good
Insurance can't be more than the bike payment
I want new.

After all that, the Buell is getting the :dthumb:

marko138
03-17-2008, 03:32 PM
The SV was a right place at the right time kinda deal.

My next bike...
I want something that is commuter comfortable
I want something that is trackable when I want
I like the street friendlyness of the V-twin (ie power everywhere)
Naked is good
Insurance can't be more than the bike payment
I want new.

After all that, the Buell is getting the :dthumb:

Damn right.

OTB
03-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Damn right.

Marko is a Buell Ho!

Becca_007
03-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Any to answer the question in the original thread....

To me, comfort is most important when actually purchasing. Sure you can mod a bike to fit but some things you just can't change.

Next come price/performance. I throw those together because I figure they go hand in hand. I'd evaluate the difference between say a 600cc and 1000cc bike. Are the extra ccs really worth the extra cost? And here is where I become a real naked bike fan. I can't justify paying more money for the plastics on the supersports, when I could put that money towards more performance.

I like to think that looks fall after all that. Looks can always be changed.

But now that I have all that types out it's really the entire package that I look at. Before buying anything I would have a spreadsheet with price, performance, and sidenotes all laid out.

DLIT
03-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Marko is a Buell Ho!

For real. It's a shame.

itgirl
03-19-2008, 11:33 PM
i bought the bike i thought was pretty. i've always been partial to kawasaki though.

Crazy
03-19-2008, 11:56 PM
actually one of the main reasons I bought an SV650 was because of what I heard from this forum (and :twf:). I did read a TON of reviews online and in magazines.

DLIT
03-19-2008, 11:57 PM
actually one of the main reasons I bought an SV650 was because of this forum (and :twf:). I did read a TON of reviews online and in magazines.

Gooder starter bike. So much shit you can do to 'em to make 'em better, too. Like putting a GSXR front end on 'em, for example.

Dave
03-20-2008, 01:22 AM
haha actually i became interested in buying a 954 shortly after i unlocked one in tourist trophy :P liked it enough to get me to dig up old reviews and start looking around for one. and when my buddy mentioned one at the local shop with obscenely low miles i had to go scope it out and well, we all know how that worked out

fnfalman
03-20-2008, 12:28 PM
But now that I have all that types out it's really the entire package that I look at. Before buying anything I would have a spreadsheet with price, performance, and sidenotes all laid out.

That's because you're a woman and women tend to be more sensible than men.

I know that I gave reasons for making my choices, but those were pretty much bullshits. It's more like, "ooh, I like it...I MUST HAVE IT!!!" and out comes the check book.

Rider
03-20-2008, 12:31 PM

If you are serious, I may have my Z up for sale before long...

marko138
03-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Marko is a Buell Ho!

Tis true. I love them.

bombadillo
03-21-2008, 10:52 AM
If you are serious, I may have my Z up for sale before long...

The only thing I don't like about the 750 so far is the front suspenders! I'd love to be able to change damp. rates. Other than that, it looks like what I'd want for day to day.