PDA

View Full Version : Nissan Xterra questions

canibeyou
02-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Sorry to be posting out here where the big kids play, but I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who has owned or does own a Nissan Xterra.

I'm looking to buy one in the very near future (read: within a month) and I'd like to hear your personal review of it. Did ya like it? What didn't you like about it? If you had to do it over again, would you still have owned one? Etc.

Any personal feedback is greatly appreciated! :dthumb:

Corey
02-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Drop a PM to Ebbs15. I believe he just picked one up and seemed to be very happy with it. I've got a buddy who's had one for going on four years and he's never been let down by it.

Mr Lefty
02-24-2009, 08:40 PM
:rofl: seriously?

I just bought one... two weeks ago friday.

I love it... it's an 06... base model... but still is nice... 4.0 V6 with 265hp and 285ftlbs...

I towed a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul trailer from AK... and averaged 15mpg. I have a 6 speed manual... which is perfect for me... as I HATE autos.

lots of room... I'm 6'3 and still don't need the seat all the way back. I can get in the back... and though my knees are against the seat... they're not jamed into the back.

the one things that's kinda annoying is the back is all plastic... so things slide back and forth with ease...

I'll have some pics soon... (been promising them for a couple days now :lol:)

Corey
02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
:rofl: seriously?

I just bought one... two weeks ago friday.

I love it... it's an 06... base model... but still is nice... 4.0 V6 with 265hp and 285ftlbs...

I towed a 5x8 enclosed Uhaul trailer from AK... and averaged 15mpg. I have a 6 speed manual... which is perfect for me... as I HATE autos.

lots of room... I'm 6'3 and still don't need the seat all the way back. I can get in the back... and though my knees are against the seat... they're not jamed into the back.

the one things that's kinda annoying is the back is all plastic... so things slide back and forth with ease...

I'll have some pics soon... (been promising them for a couple days now :lol:)

Any impressions and problems you'd have would be within the first month of ownership, and i figured since you were doing a big haul and lots of miles, any problems would become apparent to you pretty quick. Besides, you're the only person I could think of who has one on the board. :lol:

Cutty72
02-24-2009, 08:50 PM
He had to ditch he studded tires before going south :lol:

Mr Lefty
02-24-2009, 08:50 PM
Any impressions and problems you'd have would be within the first month of ownership, and i figured since you were doing a big haul and lots of miles, any problems would become apparent to you pretty quick. Besides, you're the only person I could think of who has one on the board. :lol:

lol yeah we replied at the same time... didn't see yours till I had already posted...

back to the OP... what year Xterra you look'n at? 05+ is the 2nd Gen... and has the 4.0 V6 in it... before that... the reviews I read said the power was pitiful... only the supercharged was decent... and it doesn't touch the 4.0

the 4.0 is a bored out 3.5 from the 350Z... and in the case of the manual 6 speed... has the same transmission.

canibeyou
02-24-2009, 10:02 PM
I was loving the '05 model. I'm trying to pay cash for it so I don't owe anyone any money (I have a "phobia" about that).

What I'm mainly going to be using it for is errands around town (all 12 square miles of it) and I just started my own pet sitting business. I might be takin' doggies to the dog park and things. Plus, we (my husband and I) live ridiculously close to Seqouia National Park and we're getting back into hiking and camping.

I'm not sure I'd be towing anything, but since I've never really owned a tow vehicle maybe I will! I'm thinking like a trailer to put the bikes on and drive out to the coast for a weekend.

If I can't afford an '05, than an '03/ '04 would be my next choice. And I don't know how to drive a stick-shift http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/Smilies/hide.gif so I'm looking at an automatic and a 2WD.

LOL... basically the opposite of everything you got! :p

I've been trolling on Xterra forums and I hear a lot of people talk about the bad gas mileage, but I'm currently driving a Cadillac STS that gets about the same gas milage, yet it takes premium so it costs me twice as much to fill up as the Xterra will. I've also heard about problems with the power windows no longer working and little things like that, but I think it's safe to assume that if I'm buying used, those problems have already occurred for other owners and they've been fixed. Or maybe I'm just wishful thinking.

I've only been able to talk to one Xterra owner in person (and she was driving an '02) so I'm kinda lacking in the personal dept. when finding out about the car and a dealer's gonna tell me whatever he thinks I want to hear.

Do ya like all the little nooks and crannies in the car or do they just become obnoxious? LOL I'm thinking a lot of camping gear can be jammed into 'em and if need be you could even sleep in the back, although that wouldn't be the most comfortable night sleep.

Let me know if I'm bothering you by askin' about everything! Don't want to be a tool. ;)

Mr Lefty
02-24-2009, 10:26 PM
:lol: you're fine... I'm happy to help...

yeah looks like what your looking for is the last thing I'd buy... why would you want a 2wd xterra? not trying to insult your taste or anything... just wondering... if you only want 2wd... why not get something that gets a bit better gas milage? a CRV or a Rav4 would probably be better as far as MPG... but they're smaller.

as far as the nooks and cranny's... there's plenty... nissan does kinda like adding in little compartments here and there... pretty cool... though I don't have a ash tray and that sucks... I use them to gather change...

I haven't had any issues with any electronics... though I'd be highly pissed off if I did... I hit 53000 miles on this trip... and it's an 06 so no way should I be having issues...

sleeping in the back wouldn't be too bad... if your under 6'... and have a nice pad... when the seats are laid down they slope to the rear so it's not totally flat... and it's all plastic and hard.

the knobs and switches are nice IMO... they're built to be easy to use with gloves on... they work... that's all I care about :lol:

the roof rack is nice... haven't used it yet... but it's solid...

G-Rex
02-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I have a 2000 model V6 4x4 automatic in my stable. It's got 175k, and they've been pretty trouble free save a few small things that just happen with miles.

I enjoyed it until about 120k when I gave it to my mom. She loves it and it has turned her into a type a personality driver. :lol:

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy another one. It's been a good truck and I have enjoyed driving it.

I haven't driven a newer one, so I can't comment on the power, other than to say even though they rate it for 5000 pounds of towing capacity, I wouldn't. As soon as I hitched anything up to it, mileage went down to 10mpg and it did drag the truck down power-wise.

If your primary use was towing, I wouldn't do it, but for your needs, sounds like it would be perfect.

Quick281
02-25-2009, 12:13 AM
I worked at a Nissan dealership for about a year in my college town. The town was literally crawling with ton's of Xterras so one would assume that I saw a lot of them.

From the dealership view point, they were the least likely to come in for any major work. They always just needed regular maintenance like rotations, oil changes and filters.

The Altimas and Sentras were usually in there with many off the wall problems.

My point is based on what owners here have said and what I saw in my time at the dealership, they are good reliable cars that can take you most of the places you want to go! They also have a huge following so that helps too.

101lifts2
02-25-2009, 01:46 AM
....I've been trolling on Xterra forums and I hear a lot of people talk about the bad gas mileage, but I'm currently driving a Cadillac STS that gets about the same gas milage, yet it takes premium so it costs me twice as much to fill up as the Xterra will. ....

Actually Premium is about 20 cents more per gallon...and at about 220 for 87 and 240 for premium that doesn't come to half.

Personally I'd keep the Caddy. lol

101lifts2
02-25-2009, 01:47 AM
=ebbs15;170689....... I haven't had any issues with any electronics... though I'd be highly pissed off if I did... I hit 53000 miles on this trip... and it's an 06 so no way should I be having issues...

sleeping in the back wouldn't be too bad... if your under 6'... and have a nice pad... when the seats are laid down they slope to the rear so it's not totally flat... and it's all plastic and hard.

the knobs and switches are nice IMO... they're built to be easy to use with gloves on... they work... that's all I care about :lol:

the roof rack is nice... haven't used it yet... but it's solid...

Did you wash it yet?

canibeyou
02-25-2009, 02:39 AM
Actually Premium is about 20 cents more per gallon...and at about 220 for 87 and 240 for premium that doesn't come to half.

Personally I'd keep the Caddy. lol

Well... camping in the Caddy... eh... not gonna happen and neither is dog hauling. Premium here runs $1.03 more than regular. And we don't pay $2.20- $2.40 for gas. More like $3.83 for regular. There's a HUGE price gap between regular and premium here. Why? Who knows but I'm happy to pass the Caddy on to someone who wants to pay for premium. But I do admit that it's a nice ride! Feels like you're driving your couch down the road.

yeah looks like what your looking for is the last thing I'd buy... why would you want a 2wd xterra? not trying to insult your taste or anything... just wondering... if you only want 2wd... why not get something that gets a bit better gas milage? a CRV or a Rav4 would probably be better as far as MPG... but they're smaller.

I had a list of the ones I liked and the Hyundai Santa Fe and Saturn Vue were on that list. When we went to the dealers I just wasn't impressed with the size of them and they seemed more... "luxurious" than the "rugged" I'm looking for. I was REALLY impressed with what Hyundai had to offer and when I'm in the market for a nice SUV, I'll be taking a second look at Hyundai's Veracruz. VERY nice car indeed. I didn't pay much mind to the Vue as the size seemed even smaller than the Santa Fe and the inside of the ones we saw weren't anything to get excited about. Seemed rather cheap. As with Hyundai, I'm not too familiar with the Saturn brand and hearing that GM is dropping that soon, I'm just not gonna bother.

I liked the truck feel of the Xterra. The size appeals to me too. I really have no need for the 4WD and the 2WD gets a little better gas mileage. :idk:

Thank you, G-Rex and Quick281 for the comments too. Good to hear things like that!

Homeslice
02-25-2009, 04:10 AM
$3.83 for regular??????? Where do you live, Mammoth Mountain? Lake Tahoe? I can't think of anywhere else in CA that could justify those kinds of prices. It's not even that bad in Beverly Hills.

Quick281
02-25-2009, 06:08 AM
I have a ticklish sensation that she may live in Canada despite what her location says. Could be wrong though, but the French quote in her sig made me suspicious too. :D

She noted "We don't pay 2.20-2.40 for gas" and maybe she did a conversation from liter to gallon and got the 3.80 per gallon.

Just my 6 am guess. :sorry:

nhgunnut
02-25-2009, 07:14 AM
Ok I owned a Titan purchased new for 4 years, not an Xterra but I feel like I should warn you Nissan is by far the absolute worst company(the callous disregard for the customer service was uniform at every dealer) for service after the sale I have dealt with in the past 20 years. Getting them to honor their warranty was required on average a week or more of multiple phone calls to the dealers, usually at least 2 phone calls to Nissan America and on several occasions calls to Japan. As a result of having purchased a Nissan Truck, I will never purchase another new Nissan Product including their Infinity line.

Tmall
02-25-2009, 08:13 AM
I've wanted one for some time. But, everybody I know who has one says they're gutless, gas pigs.

Seems like they fixed that with the 4.0. You have my interest peaked now..

Mr Lefty
02-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Did you wash it yet?

washed it in fargo.... and sprayed it off yesterday as I was washing the uhaul to return it... I'll give it a proper wash today though...

I had a list of the ones I liked and the Hyundai Santa Fe and Saturn Vue were on that list. When we went to the dealers I just wasn't impressed with the size of them and they seemed more... "luxurious" than the "rugged" I'm looking for. I was REALLY impressed with what Hyundai had to offer and when I'm in the market for a nice SUV, I'll be taking a second look at Hyundai's Veracruz. VERY nice car indeed. I didn't pay much mind to the Vue as the size seemed even smaller than the Santa Fe and the inside of the ones we saw weren't anything to get excited about. Seemed rather cheap. As with Hyundai, I'm not too familiar with the Saturn brand and hearing that GM is dropping that soon, I'm just not gonna bother.

I liked the truck feel of the Xterra. The size appeals to me too. I really have no need for the 4WD and the 2WD gets a little better gas mileage. :idk:

Thank you, G-Rex and Quick281 for the comments too. Good to hear things like that!
Ok... yeah like I said... it's your money and your choice... the Xterra is a great rig so far in my opinion... but as I've preached here about toyota... reliability is key to me... will it still be running after 150000 miles? I think/hope so... but who knows

I've wanted one for some time. But, everybody I know who has one says they're gutless, gas pigs.

I drove an 02 back in 02... and remember it not having much power... but rest assured.... the 4.0 has enough.... well... enough for me...

James
02-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Ok I owned a Titan purchased new for 4 years, not an Xterra but I feel like I should warn you Nissan is by far the absolute worst company(the callous disregard for the customer service was uniform at every dealer) for service after the sale I have dealt with in the past 20 years. Getting them to honor their warranty was required on average a week or more of multiple phone calls to the dealers, usually at least 2 phone calls to Nissan America and on several occasions calls to Japan. As a result of having purchased a Nissan Truck, I will never purchase another new Nissan Product including their Infinity line.

I have a 2004 titan, and have had the exact opposite experience.

1) brake rotors - replaced under warranty for warping w/o any trouble at all - no charge.

2) bed liner bubbled up - they got me a rental car and had a new liner put in by Rhino Liner, including complete removal of OEM - no charge.

3) stock rear end was leaking a little, took it in and they put a completely new rear end in place, 2007 rear end at that w/the aluminum cover etc. No charge.

None of these problems ended up with any struggle with the dealership at all. They've been great, actually.

nhgunnut
02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I have a 2004 titan, and have had the exact opposite experience.

1) brake rotors - replaced under warranty for warping w/o any trouble at all - no charge.

2) bed liner bubbled up - they got me a rental car and had a new liner put in by Rhino Liner, including complete removal of OEM - no charge.

3) stock rear end was leaking a little, took it in and they put a completely new rear end in place, 2007 rear end at that w/the aluminum cover etc. No charge.

None of these problems ended up with any struggle with the dealership at all. They've been great, actually.

I am glad for you. I had the brake problem as most of the 04s and they did fix that one with no charge or difficulty.
It took endless calls some intercontinental to get them to take responsibility for a complete failure of the front differential. Even after ten days of fighting and their eventual agreement to honor the warranty I was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks before they could ship one. After several more phone calls it only took three weeks I had to fight to get them to honor the warranty when the exhaust manifolds cracked within a month of each other and had to fight both time to get them fixed. It took a month to get them to fix the stereo (they eventually acknowledged that they had run a sheet metal screw through the wiring harness during assembly. the fact that the truck ate a set of tires in the first 8k miles only too 4 weeks for them to resolve. I would caution anyone who is thinking of purchasing a Nissan product to read through the Titan forums and you will see a pattern of callous disregard for customer service after the sale. If you were the exception I congratulate you and the dealership you dealt with. I will also say that after several posts my documents on my experience with Nissan was forwarded by request to the AG.
Of Cars purchased by my wife and my self in the past 12 years , 7 cars from 6 companies in total. Nissan by far was the worst experience we have ever had.

canibeyou
02-25-2009, 02:17 PM
I have a ticklish sensation that she may live in Canada despite what her location says. Could be wrong though, but the French quote in her sig made me suspicious too. :D

She noted "We don't pay 2.20-2.40 for gas" and maybe she did a conversation from liter to gallon and got the 3.80 per gallon.

Just my 6 am guess. :sorry:

LOL... I know I'm girl... but please give me a little more credit! :p I live up in the mountains of So. California. When I went to fill up the car yesterday, I paid $4.86 a gallon (for premium). :idk:

The French saying in my sig translates to: “What a marvelous thing to draw your life’s work from your passion.” I just like it 'cuz I started my own business this year and making money from a passion of mine is a double cherry on the cake of my day.

Thanks for all the responses. Just when I think I've made my mind up... I read things like this that make me reconsider, all over again, as to what I should get. I can never remember car shopping to be this "stressful" :panic:

101lifts2
02-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Well... camping in the Caddy... eh... not gonna happen and neither is dog hauling. Premium here runs $1.03 more than regular. And we don't pay $2.20- $2.40 for gas. More like $3.83 for regular. There's a HUGE price gap between regular and premium here. Why? Who knows but I'm happy to pass the Caddy on to someone who wants to pay for premium. But I do admit that it's a nice ride! Feels like you're driving your couch down the road.

Oh you live in Canada...I thought So.Cal was southern California. What does So.Cal mean then?

101lifts2
02-25-2009, 09:02 PM
I am glad for you. I had the brake problem as most of the 04s and they did fix that one with no charge or difficulty.
It took endless calls some intercontinental to get them to take responsibility for a complete failure of the front differential. Even after ten days of fighting and their eventual agreement to honor the warranty I was told it would take 6 to 8 weeks before they could ship one. After several more phone calls it only took three weeks I had to fight to get them to honor the warranty when the exhaust manifolds cracked within a month of each other and had to fight both time to get them fixed. It took a month to get them to fix the stereo (they eventually acknowledged that they had run a sheet metal screw through the wiring harness during assembly. the fact that the truck ate a set of tires in the first 8k miles only too 4 weeks for them to resolve. I would caution anyone who is thinking of purchasing a Nissan product to read through the Titan forums and you will see a pattern of callous disregard for customer service after the sale. If you were the exception I congratulate you and the dealership you dealt with. I will also say that after several posts my documents on my experience with Nissan was forwarded by request to the AG.
Of Cars purchased by my wife and my self in the past 12 years , 7 cars from 6 companies in total. Nissan by far was the worst experience we have ever had.

Typical of Japanese automakers esp. if the distributor (Nissan Motor America) has a high stake in lowering warranty costs back to Japan.

canibeyou
02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Oh you live in Canada...I thought So.Cal was southern California. What does So.Cal mean then?

I live in the mountains of Southern California. So. Cal., So. Cali., etc. Born and raised, 3rd generation here.

But currently looking to possibly get out.

Mr Lefty
02-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Typical of Japanese automakers esp. if the distributor (Nissan Motor America) has a high stake in lowering warranty costs back to Japan.

I can't speak for Nissan... as I haven't dealt with them yet... but I've NEVER had an issue with toyota.

actually I just had a situation that could have turned really bad with them before I left AK. They did maintenance on my truck and all of a sudden the entire charging system goes to shit. they swore up and down they didn't have anything to do with it... that it was a coincidence. well obviously I didn't agree... but they took care of me... gave me a loaner vehicle so I could continue packing up my storage... they priced out the parts to fix my truck and even knocked off the labor (5hrs worth) to try and do right by me... but the parts were still 1200... and worse... they couldn't get them in before I had to be on the road.

So they cut me a deal... $5000 off the price of any vehicle over 10000... I found the Xterra and talked them down a little... then took the $5000 off... walked out paying 9950+ ttl. not bad for an 06 with 48383 miles.

Toyota did right by me... always have.

only other dealer I have experience with was a Chevy one... not the greatest... service didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground... but they got the work done...

Mr Lefty
02-25-2009, 09:41 PM
My Xterra :D

It's dirty inside... I need to clean it... :panic:

http://ebbs15.smugmug.com/photos/480875402_gUGzB-L.jpg

http://ebbs15.smugmug.com/photos/480874370_tEg5M-L.jpg

http://ebbs15.smugmug.com/photos/480878885_qWQ2B-L-0.jpg

http://ebbs15.smugmug.com/photos/480877137_akQjB-L.jpg

http://ebbs15.smugmug.com/photos/480879761_uQ6UL-L-0.jpg

James
02-27-2009, 10:32 AM

This reminds me of my issues with Jeep! Crazy... I can certainly understand your frustration! I would never buy another Nissan if I were you either. Wow.

101lifts2
02-27-2009, 08:24 PM
I can't speak for Nissan... as I haven't dealt with them yet... but I've NEVER had an issue with toyota.

actually I just had a situation that could have turned really bad with them before I left AK. They did maintenance on my truck and all of a sudden the entire charging system goes to shit. they swore up and down they didn't have anything to do with it... that it was a coincidence. well obviously I didn't agree... but they took care of me... gave me a loaner vehicle so I could continue packing up my storage... they priced out the parts to fix my truck and even knocked off the labor (5hrs worth) to try and do right by me... but the parts were still 1200... and worse... they couldn't get them in before I had to be on the road.

So they cut me a deal... $5000 off the price of any vehicle over 10000... I found the Xterra and talked them down a little... then took the $5000 off... walked out paying 9950+ ttl. not bad for an 06 with 48383 miles.

Toyota did right by me... always have.

only other dealer I have experience with was a Chevy one... not the greatest... service didn't know their ass from a hole in the ground... but they got the work done...

1200 bucks for what? The generator? Entire charging system went to shit? WTF does that mean? You have 1 generator on the vehicle and a slew of hiring harnesses of which an individual wire could be repaired. Sounds like someone got taken for a ride. lol You didn't pay the 1200, right?

The Xterra is tight...esp. with the manual, tho I would have bought a Jeep if I was going to buy a something other than a truck that was 4wd.

canibeyou
03-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Ebbs.. your ride is SWEET!!!!!! :drool:

Mr Lefty
03-01-2009, 09:33 PM
thanks! i like my new one better :lol:

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo178/serp161/DSC01313.jpg

Lamnidae
03-01-2009, 09:53 PM
thanks! i like my new one better :lol:

http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo178/serp161/DSC01313.jpg

niiiiiice.

Mr Lefty
03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
yeah... apparently I have a subliminal fetish for silver :idk:

Lamnidae
03-02-2009, 07:43 AM
yeah... apparently I have a subliminal fetish for silver :idk:

can't blame ya.

Quick281
03-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Did you get the bike? Bet you are glad to have warmer weather and hopefully some time to ride.

Mr Lefty
03-03-2009, 11:25 PM
yup rode today... 150 miles.

Quick281
03-03-2009, 11:30 PM
yup rode today... 150 miles.

Nice, I will just assume you are happy as hell to be riding anything again.

I just finished my 1900 mile road trip to Ohio and Illinois in a cage. Glad to be home again though.

Gotta get busting on plans to move to Alaska now!

Mr Lefty
03-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Nice! I never got the book sent off to ya... :sorry: when are you leaving? it's in my storage burried... I'll be moving out of it on the 16th

Quick281
03-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Nice! I never got the book sent off to ya... :sorry: when are you leaving? it's in my storage burried... I'll be moving out of it on the 16th

lol, its all good. I don't quite know when I am leaving but it will probably be around the 16th so the timing might suck. Who knows, until I am packed and ready to go, I won't know. Gotta love last minute trips across the country!

Mr Lefty
03-04-2009, 09:27 AM
:lol: yeah i hear ya... did you get a truck yet?

z06boy
03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
I worked at a Nissan dealership for about a year in my college town. The town was literally crawling with ton's of Xterras so one would assume that I saw a lot of them.

From the dealership view point, they were the least likely to come in for any major work. They always just needed regular maintenance like rotations, oil changes and filters.

The Altimas and Sentras were usually in there with many off the wall problems.

My point is based on what owners here have said and what I saw in my time at the dealership, they are good reliable cars that can take you most of the places you want to go! They also have a huge following so that helps too.

How about the Xterra v.s. the Pathfinder ? I currently have a Jeep Cherokee Classic with 136k on the clock and have not had many issues but will be replacing it at some point in the future and thought about the Xterra but "think" I like the Pathfinder a little better overall. It will be a 4x4 whichever one I decide to go with. I don't want a Grand Cherokee or a Liberty so that's why I may be going the Pathfinder route. Thanks

Quick281
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
:lol: yeah i hear ya... did you get a truck yet?

I have been working on securing a loan which has been really tough right now especially considering I don't technically have a job yet and the banks have tightened up on loaning to people. Managed to get my Dad to co-sign and hopefully I should hear today if it went through. Then I truck shop and then I pack, and then I travel onward!

How about the Xterra v.s. the Pathfinder ? I currently have a Jeep Cherokee Classic with 136k on the clock and have not had many issues but will be replacing it at some point in the future and thought about the Xterra but "think" I like the Pathfinder a little better overall. It will be a 4x4 whichever one I decide to go with. I don't want a Grand Cherokee or a Liberty so that's why I may be going the Pathfinder route. Thanks

Tough call on that one. From what I recall the Xterras that did come in were mostly basic repairs and a couple came in for recalls. I want to say the Pathfinders didn't really have a ton of problems either but we did have a our share of older ones coming in and out but those can be credited with age and high mileage for their issues. Not that I am an expert but from my dealership experience both SUVs were definitely in and out for much smaller things than any of the more common vehicles.

If I had to buy a Nissan it would probably be an Xterra and then a PathFinder and overall I would avoid any of the other crap. The Maxima's were nice but they often came in for many issues as well. The 350z was too low for my liking (and I drive a lowered Mustang and damnit I am young!) but they didn't really have issues beyond the front wheel camber recall and young people destroying clutches. The Murano's look nice but I can't speak for any of their issues.

One thing that most people may not know is that the Sentra and some Altimas had recalls out for a problem with their intake system. The little screws holding the butterfly valves on were coming out and going right on through the engine. Most of the time when someone brought it in it was too late and so there were a ton of engine swaps going on but overall they were the same cars having most of the other issues effecting reliability.

If you don't like the Liberty or Cherokee (And I understand that!), I would also look at some Toyota 4 Runners. Should match up with the Pathfinder for what you want and you can't doubt Toyota's reputation. Just my thoughts! I am too young to know much about life but I am always happy to share my thoughts on what I have experience with!

z06boy
03-04-2009, 10:16 AM
I have been working on securing a loan which has been really tough right now especially considering I don't technically have a job yet and the banks have tightened up on loaning to people. Managed to get my Dad to co-sign and hopefully I should hear today if it went through. Then I truck shop and then I pack, and then I travel onward!

Tough call on that one. From what I recall the Xterras that did come in were mostly basic repairs and a couple came in for recalls. I want to say the Pathfinders didn't really have a ton of problems either but we did have a our share of older ones coming in and out but those can be credited with age and high mileage for their issues. Not that I am an expert but from my dealership experience both SUVs were definitely in and out for much smaller things than any of the more common vehicles.

If I had to buy a Nissan it would probably be an Xterra and then a PathFinder and overall I would avoid any of the other crap. The Maxima's were nice but they often came in for many issues as well. The 350z was too low for my liking (and I drive a lowered Mustang and damnit I am young!) but they didn't really have issues beyond the front wheel camber recall and young people destroying clutches. The Murano's look nice but I can't speak for any of their issues.

One thing that most people may not know is that the Sentra and some Altimas had recalls out for a problem with their intake system. The little screws holding the butterfly valves on were coming out and going right on through the engine. Most of the time when someone brought it in it was too late and so there were a ton of engine swaps going on but overall they were the same cars having most of the other issues effecting reliability.

If you don't like the Liberty or Cherokee (And I understand that!), I would also look at some Toyota 4 Runners. Should match up with the Pathfinder for what you want and you can't doubt Toyota's reputation. Just my thoughts! I am too young to know much about life but I am always happy to share my thoughts on what I have experience with!

Thanks for the input man. Yeah I like my Cherokee ...the older square one that I WISH they still made but just don't really care for the Grand Cherokee very much...they seem to have many more problems especially with transmissions.

I think the Liberty that replaced the little Cherokee like mine is a chic vehicle.

I know they are now redesigned but I probably won't be buying new.

Oh yeah...I do like the 4 Runner you mentioned too.

Thanks again.

marko138
03-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the input man. Yeah I like my Cherokee ...the older square one that I WISH they still made but just don't really care for the Grand Cherokee very much...they seem to have many more problems especially with transmissions.

I think the Liberty that replaced the little Cherokee like mine is a chic vehicle.

Thanks again.
I've got an 05 Grand Cherokee. The tranny is solid. Much better than the previous version. In fact, Jeep is backing up the latest version with a lifetime powertrain warranty.

z06boy
03-04-2009, 12:39 PM
I've got an 05 Grand Cherokee. The tranny is solid. Much better than the previous version. In fact, Jeep is backing up the latest version with a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Cool deal. I haven't researched them in awhile but am glad to hear that. I know they are heavier than mine so I thought maybe that was part of the problem over time. If I go for the Grand Cherokee it will have to be a V-8. My inline six has been just fine in my lighter Cherokee Sport.

Flexin
03-04-2009, 01:53 PM

My buddy owns this Xterra. Its supercharged. I found it had great power. My buddy doesn't like the gas mileage at all. I also drove a regular one and the power was nothing to write home about but it was ok. I been in much worse as far as power goes.

James

marko138
03-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Cool deal. I haven't researched them in awhile but am glad to hear that. I know they are heavier than mine so I thought maybe that was part of the problem over time. If I go for the Grand Cherokee it will have to be a V-8. My inline six has been just fine in my lighter Cherokee Sport.
I'd recommend the v-8 as well. I've got the 3.7 v6. It's a dog. But the 4 wheel drive system is as good as ever. Highly recommended.

Cutty72
03-04-2009, 09:33 PM

Thanks again.

The new Lib with the 3.7 is actually pretty peppy, and looks good squared off.
In the GC either of the V8's are good, the 4.7 gets about 3-5 mpg better.

I prefer the Lib option to be able to go true 2 or 4wd. GC is all auto.

Jeeps are cheap now though. Local dealer has them about 10K off sticker, plus 0% for 48 months.
Still have lifetime powertrain, and you can make it lifetime bumper to bumper for about $2K.

marko138
03-05-2009, 08:02 AM

Jeeps are cheap now though. Local dealer has them about 10K off sticker, plus 0% for 48 months.
Still have lifetime powertrain, and you can make it lifetime bumper to bumper for about $2K.
I was a bit weary of the 4wd system in the GC too. I don't even have 4 low. But I took that sucker through some really deep sand in the Outer Banks last year. It performed flawlessly.

And in the snow...I've never felt the system kick in...it's seemless. Never slips, always goes. I like it alot.

Cutty72
03-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I was a bit weary of the 4wd system in the GC too. I don't even have 4 low. But I took that sucker through some really deep sand in the Outer Banks last year. It performed flawlessly.

And in the snow...I've never felt the system kick in...it's seemless. Never slips, always goes. I like it alot.

I had no doubt that the system works. Thats the prob though, it always works. I want to be able to put my vehicle in 2 wheel drive.

Mr Lefty
03-05-2009, 10:06 AM
I had no doubt that the system works. Thats the prob though, it always works. I want to be able to put my vehicle in 2 wheel drive.

yup! and it's why I'd take my 86 truck over any newer 4x4... I lock the hubs in and sit in 2wd... then the exact moment i need 4... I pull the shifter back and i'm immediately in 4... no blinking lights... no waiting for the computer to engage the trasfercase... ect.

really though... that's only useful when your fuck'n around drifting... get a little to sideways... and you're gonna loose it.... just grab 4 and the front end will pull everything back into alignment.

on the X it's ok... cause that bitch is so top heavy i wouldn't try drift'n it anyways... :lol:

Cutty72
03-05-2009, 10:07 AM
pussy

Mr Lefty
03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
pussy

what the fuck am I gonna drift it in now anyways... :lol: haven't found a beach I can drive on....

and I'm strongly considering selling it next year... don't want the payment... and I'm already missing the bed...

Cutty72
03-05-2009, 10:22 AM
RR won't fit in the back or what? :lol:

Mr Lefty
03-05-2009, 10:24 AM
not quite... tried to put it on top... but trip was a bitch and wouldn't help lift :lol:

z06boy
03-05-2009, 11:46 AM

I didn't really like the Liberty when it first came out. I do like the squared off redesign much better. Actually the Dodge Nitro caught my eye and then I realized it was based off the "new" Liberty and was pretty much the same thing.

I agree about the true 2/4wd like in my Cherokee...I reach down and pull the lever when I need to.

My Jeep has never failed me...fingers crossed. :lol:

It has 137k miles and we just got back from a trip to Snowshoe, WV and it ran flawlessly.

Here it is clean...

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b5ce03b3127ccecc383569566400000010O08AcMWjly5cNA e3nww/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Here it is sitting in the parking lot at Snowshoe not so clean.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b9dc07b3127ccec620f5bae08500000040O08AcMWjly5cNA e3nww/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/