PDA

View Full Version : Got caught in a snowstorm today.

No Worries
03-16-2008, 11:49 PM
It was 51 degrees when I left my house this afternoon. Went to the top of Lookout Mountain. Had a cup of hot chocolate in the cafe, and when I came outside the snow was blowing horizontally. Visibility was like 100 feet. I was wearing long johns under my leather pants and had two shirts under my leather jacket. Also had the Hippo Hands over the hand controls.

I headed down slower than usual and came up to a car. Under dry conditions, I would have passed him in a second. I could have stayed behind, but I didn't like the spray off his tires, nor did I like dividing my concentration between the car and the road ahead. So I passed on a straight. Except there is a hairpin turn at the end of the straight. I leaned off like a SOB. Luckily, the snow didn't stick to the road because it was too warm, but the road was very wet. This is when you have to have confidence in your tires and ability.

The snow was sticking to my face shield, but I didn't wipe it. Firstly, I didn't want to smear it as I could look through the clear spots, and secondly, I didn't want to get my gloves wet. I hate cold, wet hands, plus it's dangerous.
I did have to crack the shield a few times to keep it from fogging, even though I had put some Cat Crap on yesterday. I made it off the mountain ok and after I rode past the Coors brewery it stopped snowing. That's Colorado weather for you.

Mr Lefty
03-17-2008, 07:31 AM
It was 51 degrees when I left my house this afternoon. Went to the top of Lookout Mountain. Had a cup of hot chocolate in the cafe, and when I came outside the snow was blowing horizontally. Visibility was like 100 feet. I was wearing long johns under my leather pants and had two shirts under my leather jacket. Also had the Hippo Hands over the hand controls.

I headed down slower than usual and came up to a car. Under dry conditions, I would have passed him in a second. I could have stayed behind, but I didn't like the spray off his tires, nor did I like dividing my concentration between the car and the road ahead. So I passed on a straight. Except there is a hairpin turn at the end of the straight. I leaned off like a SOB. Luckily, the snow didn't stick to the road because it was too warm, but the road was very wet. This is when you have to have confidence in your tires and ability.

The snow was sticking to my face shield, but I didn't wipe it. Firstly, I didn't want to smear it as I could look through the clear spots, and secondly, I didn't want to get my gloves wet. I hate cold, wet hands, plus it's dangerous.
I did have to crack the shield a few times to keep it from fogging, even though I had put some Cat Crap on yesterday. I made it off the mountain ok and after I rode past the Coors brewery it stopped snowing. That's Colorado weather for you.

but at least you were riding... and that's why I'm looking forward to it! :lol:

glad you made it down! that's some intense shit!

Phenix_Rider
03-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Always with the stories. I can do rain, but snow- I don't think so. You're definitely a braver rider than me:dthumb:

If you haven't tried Zooke's you should. I picked up some at the Cycle World show and it works really well. Only get the blue wax if you can though, the spray stuff isn't nearly as good.

the chi
03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Wow, thats pretty crazy...considering I have only seen snow a few times in my life, i cant even imagine what its like to ride in it! Glad ya made it home safe!

marko138
03-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Snow not good.

Cutty72
03-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Snow not good.

Ice even worse... good thing the asphalt was warm yet.

LaFemmes
03-17-2008, 07:05 PM
One pricey hot chocolate ha?:whistle:

Mudpuppy
03-17-2008, 10:53 PM
yeah mountains are a unique weathersphere all in themselves.. here in michigan closest thing we have is trash heaps we turn into ski hills.. our weather is the same all the time partly to mostly shitty.. good story.. glad to hear you made it back alright..

freezing rain and snow tomorrow.. thank god i only work 3 miles from the house..

sfarson
03-17-2008, 10:58 PM
NW... It was a day of snow showers. At least the forecasted dump didn't happen! 4" here in Park County and the roads are now clear.

vabarber2
03-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Wow, thats pretty crazy...considering I have only seen snow a few times in my life, i cant even imagine what its like to ride in it! Glad ya made it home safe!
:iagree:

fnfalman
03-19-2008, 02:07 PM
I got caught in a freak cold front while riding from New Mexico to California last spring and I thought that I was gonna die from hypothermia.

JoJoYZF
03-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I got caught in a freak cold front while riding from New Mexico to California last spring and I thought that I was gonna die from hypothermia.

Damn socal riders, what was it, just 50 degrees?

DLIT
03-19-2008, 08:41 PM
We went riding to the snow once, but it was on purpose.

http://www.702sportbikes.com/gallery/image.php?pic_id=446

marko138
03-22-2008, 05:36 PM
We went riding to the snow once, but it was on purpose.

http://www.702sportbikes.com/gallery/image.php?pic_id=446
Crazy MF'ers.