PDA

View Full Version : Riding Gear that SUCKS

p00kienrayray
03-05-2009, 12:23 AM
It seems that any type of gear I look at, someone is always sayin "oh they make good stuff" or "quality product right there", now I'd like to hear someone say something bad about a product out there so that I can stay away from. I think this thread would help the newbies out too...

Well let me start by saying that the Joe Rocket RKT 101 helmet (made by HJC) is a piece of shit...it feels really clunky, and the visor NEVER stays closed. One of the biggest waste of $$...

Teknic violator boots...ugly and very cheaply made.

JoJoYZF
03-05-2009, 12:32 AM
It seems that any type of gear I look at, someone is always sayin "oh they make good stuff" or "quality product right there", now I'd like to hear someone say something bad about a product out there so that I can stay away from. I think this thread would help the newbies out too...

Well let me start by saying that the Joe Rocket RKT 101 helmet (made by HJC) is a piece of shit...it feels really clunky, and the visor NEVER stays closed. One of the biggest waste of $$...

Ive heard a lot of people say that teknics boots are cheap.

My hjc was ok, but then I tried on an x11 which is better quality in my opinion and fits me a lot better so its no comparison between the two.

I also have a pair of joe rocket atomic gloves that while they are very comfortable, the stitching on them sucks. The velcro on one glove is coming off and I had a seam pop on the other glove and Ive never been down with them on. They werent very expensive and it shows. I now haw a* gauntlets that I love and will be ordering some a* short cuffs very soon.

Dave
03-05-2009, 12:54 AM
ill second that joe rocket gloves are CRAP. comfy but they do not last at all

derf
03-05-2009, 01:00 AM
Not a fan of Icon Halo series Helmets. The plastic vents on mine broke soon after I got it (without being dropped). Visor always fogged on me, and it was hot as all hell. The pads all compressed more than expected (helmet was very snug when I first bought it).

On the plus side it did hold up well in a crash, just everything else sucked about it.

lauralynne
03-05-2009, 03:10 AM
anything Icon - especially the woman's "gear" which, personally, I think isn't even safe to walk around in.

Teknic Violator boots I have to disagree - I'm on my second pair, several race get offs, no foot/ankle injuries and held up during the crash. Comfy to tour in and walk aorund in and the first pair lasted me 3 race seasons and 10,000 street miles (plus endless miles of walking around in them).
The ONLY boot for riders with large calves.

p00kienrayray
03-05-2009, 03:34 AM
honestly i never crashed in the violators, but wearing them, they didnt feel as sturdy as my current sidi b2's. though i did like the fact that they had the screw for the toe slider under the sole.

also i'd like to add any a*s gloves that have the meshed finger tips. damn i swear it seemed like i put a hole in both pairs before it was even broken in.:idk:

Phenix_Rider
03-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Nope, I don't buy what I feel is subpar gear. I have a gripe with my Icon jeans though- they make the opening to the pockets too damn small. The pockets inside are roomy, but the top is tiny, and I do not have tiny hands.

Pookie- I just stay away from anything mesh. My mechanics gloves would wear better than most of the moto stuff out there. Which is to say, very badly.

Rider
03-05-2009, 08:21 AM
AGV Sport Tornado gloves. They blow, the stitching started coming apart after 1 season. I got them free from an AGV rep though so :idk:

Every other piece of gear I've ever owned has been top notch though.

Trip
03-05-2009, 08:26 AM
all my gear is pretty decent, I've crash tested most of it.

marko138
03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
I've got a pair of Icon gloves. The Merc longs. They pretty much suck. Good protection. Held up well in a crash. But they aren't comfortable and the velcro stitching in the wrist strap has been coming undone for years.

But they are crash tested and they passed. So I'll wear them...hoping to get a new pair this season.

BobTheBiker
03-05-2009, 11:13 AM
My opinion says that HJC helmets suck ass. they fit poorly(on my head) look terrible and just plain suck.

Joe Rocket gloves are a close second too. my cheap Icon hooligans have held up much better over a few years time than those crappy joe rocket gloves.

MILK
03-05-2009, 11:17 AM
My Olympia winter riding gloves. They are the ones for 'medium winters' - can't remember more detail than that though. Anyway, had them 2 or 3 years.

Last winter when I went to separate the velcro to put them on, the other side of the velcro ripped away from the glove. Meaning the leather ripped. Happened on the other glove as well. Imagine how it would have held up had I crashed..

Corey
03-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Another vote for Icon anything. None of the Icon stuff I've had held up for longer than a year before falling apart.

Icon Mainframe helmet: I had the blue Rubitone paintjob. It looked awesome as hell. About two months into owning it, the decals on the helmet peeled off. The vents were funky and stopped closing all the way. The chin strap started to fray all over the place. The rubitone paint started chipping away. I stopped wearing it and went back to my Shoei RF800.

Icon TiMax gloves: The stitching that held all the velcro down kept popping and coming loose. Some of the seams came loose. It went from being a slightly tight fit to feeling like a plastic bag flopping around on my hands. All this happened in less than six months.

Icon Superduty boots: Laces came apart in about a month (easy replacement). The ratcheting mechanism that tightened at the ankle kept popping open during regular walking. Ended up having to wear it loose to keep it from popping open all the time. The sole of the left boot started to come apart. Some of the stitching was beginning to fray. All of this within less than 8 months.

I bought all of it together because the price was right, the stuff looked pretty cool, and I thought it'd last at least two or three years. I didn't get a year out of any of it. You couldn't give me Icon gear to wear now.

Amorok
03-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I'll throw down with Z1R helmets. I know they're a bargain brand but that's what a lot of new riders go for, and they suck. No ventilation, fogs something awful, and the fucking thing is a tank. Plus, the outer shell scuffs and abrades so badly from next to nothing. I'm so glad I bought a Scorpion.

p00kienrayray
03-05-2009, 07:32 PM
idk if i can add this to the list, since i've never worn it...:idk:
but i'll just throw it out there because riders seem to think that just wearing it alone negates the need to wear other gear...

yes, i'm talking about the icon field armor vest....i mean, it does LOOK like it can protect your spine, but does anyone who's worn it have a take on it?

zed
03-05-2009, 07:52 PM
the KBC helmet I had was crap. within a couple weeks all the stops for the visor had broken so it wouldn't stay up. the bottom edge pulled off, pads crushed within 6 months.

Amber Lamps
03-05-2009, 07:53 PM
ill second that joe rocket gloves are CRAP. comfy but they do not last at all

I'll third that,the Joe Rocket gloves I got last Summer had to be repaired after only a few rides.

rogue
03-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Everyone that I know that's used Icon says most of their stuff is crap. Don't know what is worse...their helmets or their gloves.

I crash tested an HJC helmet and it held up well. :idk: I decided to try out KBC's after and crash tested it and it held up even better. Since KBC fits me and passed my crash test, I bought another. Personally I like them.

Joe Rockets gear...the gloves I had sucked. They were the Phoenix gloves, I think. Six months of riding almost everyday and they started coming apart at the seams and got holes in the fingers. :wtf: My JR Powerglide boots were nice. They were in the same crash as my KBC helmet and held up extremely well. I wore them for a year after...the only reason I got another pair of boots is because the soles finally wore out (after almost 3 years of riding). JR mesh jackets are junk, IMO. I had one, but didn't care too much for it so I bought a MotoGP mesh jacket, which I crashed in with the KBC helmet and JR boots. About a 200 ft slide and it held up so well I'm still wearing it. :dthumb: To think if I would have went down in the JR mesh... :panic: ....I think the pavement would have shredded it and some of my skin too.

My MotoGP mess jacket gets two thumbs up. :dthumb:

Combined with what my friends have said and my own experiences, I stay away from Icon and Joe Rocket.

Amber Lamps
03-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Okay you're in MY HOUSE now!!! Hahahaha!
I didn't feel like quoting everyone so here goes;

Nitro ANYTHING!-I've seen a helmet crack from being dropped and the boots have fallen apart during a relatively slow get off.

Joe Rocket Ballistic- JUNK! I've seen one of their jackets fly apart upon first impact. Gloves-junk cheaply made.

Icon-mostly good,sizing could use some work. I have 5 pairs of Icon gloves with 3 sizes. I don't really care for the helmets,I've seen some of the problems described. I've crash tested jackets,boots,gloves,field armor-did the job for me. For the record,I had a pair of A* Gp Tech gloves do the same thing Marko described... As far as the vest,having spent some time in the "stunt world",I've seen quite a few crashed using the Field Armor vest,let's just say that it definitely protects what it covers. If you wore the vest,elbow guards,shorts and knee guards,I would say that you would be properly protected to fall at 30>mph which is the max speed most stunters are going. If you plan on riding any faster than that,You might want to throw on a jacket.

Sparx-$100 w/2 shields...but venting fucking SUCKS!!!! Is cheap,feels cheap.

Zamp-sent it back...nuff said

HJC-love the price,if I had never worn Arai,Shoei or Shark it would be ok but...

Alpinestars-good quality,a few minor problems over the years but their customer service is top notch!

KBC-got the fan-boy Mat Mladin replica...took it back,same as HJC,as long as you didn't know any better...

Akuma-decent helmet,lots of bell but the shield changing mechanism fucking SUCKS!

I think I over did it,:sorry:

Dave
03-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Okay you're in MY HOUSE now!!! Hahahaha!
I didn't feel like quoting everyone so here goes;

Nitro ANYTHING!-I've seen a helmet crack from being dropped and the boots have fallen apart during a relatively slow get off.

Joe Rocket Ballistic- JUNK! I've seen one of their jackets fly apart upon first impact. Gloves-junk cheaply made.

Icon-mostly good,sizing could use some work. I have 5 pairs of Icon gloves with 3 sizes. I don't really care for the helmets,I've seen some of the problems described. I've crash tested jackets,boots,gloves,field armor-did the job for me. For the record,I had a pair of A* Gp Tech gloves do the same thing Marko described... As far as the vest,having spent some time in the "stunt world",I've seen quite a few crashed using the Field Armor vest,let's just say that it definitely protects what it covers. If you wore the vest,elbow guards,shorts and knee guards,I would say that you would be properly protected to fall at 30>mph which is the max speed most stunters are going. If you plan on riding any faster than that,You might want to throw on a jacket.

Sparx-$100 w/2 shields...but venting fucking SUCKS!!!! Is cheap,feels cheap.

Zamp-sent it back...nuff said

HJC-love the price,if I had never worn Arai,Shoei or Shark it would be ok but...

Alpinestars-good quality,a few minor problems over the years but their customer service is top notch!

KBC-got the fan-boy Mat Mladin replica...took it back,same as HJC,as long as you didn't know any better...

Akuma-decent helmet,lots of bell but the shield changing mechanism fucking SUCKS!

I think I over did it,:sorry:

my only real gripe with their lids are the plastic buttons that hold the liner in pop loose on occasion

zed
03-06-2009, 12:02 AM
My opinion says that HJC helmets suck ass. they fit poorly(on my head) look terrible and just plain suck.

guess I've had good luck picking my HJC helmets. they fit my head well, and have held up very well, no problem with the visor or padding and they have protected my head in a couple crashes.

that KBC I had fit very well for a month or so then it started tearing up. none of my HJC's have fallen apart as fast. I had a shoei that I didn't like too but I ended up with one that is one size too big that is more quiet than any helmet I have ever worn.

Joe rocket mesh jackets have also served me well. I've slid about 30 foot on asphalt, the jacket did it's job.

for gloves I have tested my technics a couple times. they have held up very good. I've got a pair of MotoGP that I like and a pair of Icon TIMax. I like the Icon's but one hand doesn't feel quite right. I've worn others that both felt good.

Amber Lamps
03-06-2009, 12:10 AM
guess I've had good luck picking my HJC helmets. they fit my head well, and have held up very well, no problem with the visor or padding and they have protected my head in a couple crashes.

that KBC I had fit very well for a month or so then it started tearing up. none of my HJC's have fallen apart as fast. I had a shoei that I didn't like too but I ended up with one that is one size too big that is more quiet than any helmet I have ever worn.

Joe rocket mesh jackets have also served me well. I've slid about 30 foot on asphalt, the jacket did it's job.

for gloves I have tested my technics a couple times. they have held up very good. I've got a pair of MotoGP that I like and a pair of Icon TIMax. I like the Icon's but one hand doesn't feel quite right. I've worn others that both felt good.

Yep,Icon's gloves have historically had severe qc problems,as in on glove being visibly larger than the other,etc.

rogue
03-06-2009, 05:31 AM

Did you know you can call KBC direct and they'll replace anything that's broken at no charge? The snap on the strap broke on one of mine. I called about it and they offered to send me a box and a call tag, replace it, and send it back to me at no charge. Unfortunately I never got to do it since I had to replace the helmet shortly anyway. I've had no real problems out of the KBC's I've had. The only reason I recently purchased another KBC is because it no longer fit me well. I lost alot of weight last year after I got it and lost some in my face (I was kind of baby faced) which caused the helmet not to fit correctly. It's still a great helmet. It fits my daughter well so I gave it to her. The new one is my third KBC helmet.

Like you I had no problems with my first HJC (CL-14). I think they're good helmets. I replaced my HJC with a KBC because it fit me better and the price was right.

I imagine my JR mesh would have done well in a 30-50 foot slide. But the crash I was in, sliding around 200 feet on pavement, not to mention doing some tumbling and rolling...I doubt it would have held up to that type of abuse. Especially not as well as the MotoGP did. The mesh weave on the MotoGP is much better constructed...it's tighter and appears to be made of a different material than the JR mesh, yet still very breathable.

I also have/had a TourMaster textile jacket that I slid about 30 feet in. The only evidence of the slide in that jacket was a little black mark on the shoulder where I hit the pavement and it came off with a little scrubbing.

The Icon gloves I had are the old Hooligan gloves. Those were some bad ass looking gloves. They fit me well, which was surprising, especially since I have tiny hands and have problems fitting any gear well. They're also really warm. What I didn't like about them was the padding in the palms was extremely thick and I couldn't feel the throttle response well in them. I tried and tried to break them in. Wetting them and wearing them, trying to stretch them out, but no matter what I did, my throttle response continued to be jerky because I couldn't feel what I was doing. I eventually gave up trying to wear them while riding and gave them away.

zed
03-06-2009, 09:43 AM
Did you know you can call KBC direct and they'll replace anything that's broken at no charge?

no, I wasn't aware of that. I got it because it was on clearance from TR when I was working in a shop. the parts manager didn't tell me about that. I didn't have a second helmet till I got another HJC anyway, by that time it was so bad (just a few months of wear) that there was no way I would have done that anyway.

I always messed with people that bought KBC before I had that experience because they looked cheap, afterwords I knew the quality and wouldn't ever recommend them.

Amber Lamps
03-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Yea gear brands are like car brands or bike brands,everyone has a horror story or praise story for them. Okay I'm gonna blaspheme here but I've had two Dainese jackets,when I crashed my 'Busa my Dainese jacket fell apart where the different pieces of leather were attached together. Not a problem with my Icon jacket because they started with "solid" jacket and layered the other colors on top. Also,I had an accident involving A* GP+ gloves where the non-floating knuckle design allowed the knuckle armor to actually act as a "chisel" and break all four of my fingers when pressure was applied. Not a problem for my Icon gloves that had "full floating" armor (an Icon idea I believe) and "sloped" armor without an "edge" like my A*s had. I honestly believe that Icon like all companies has some great gear and some not so great gear.

Dave
03-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Yea gear brands are like car brands or bike brands,everyone has a horror story or praise story for them. Okay I'm gonna blaspheme here but I've had two Dainese jackets,when I crashed my 'Busa my Dainese jacket fell apart where the different pieces of leather were attached together. Not a problem with my Icon jacket because they started with "solid" jacket and layered the other colors on top. Also,I had an accident involving A* GP+ gloves where the non-floating knuckle design allowed the knuckle armor to actually act as a "chisel" and break all four of my fingers when pressure was applied. Not a problem for my Icon gloves that had "full floating" armor (an Icon idea I believe) and "sloped" armor without an "edge" like my A*s had. I honestly believe that Icon like all companies has some great gear and some not so great gear.

troof. Floating armor makes my dickbeaters look huge though :lmao:

CrazyKell
03-06-2009, 02:35 PM
I have an Icon Jacket that's stood up very well through the test of time. I haven't crash tested it but it's been through all sorts of weather and held up very well. Sizing is perfect and nothing on it is even fraying. :idk:

I also have 2 sets of Icon gloves that have both held up very well as well.

I guess it's just your personal experience.

Joe Rocket women's jackets are crap imo.

dReWpY
03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
joe rocket atomic 2 jacket
after three seasons the stichting is coming undone
then again paying 70 bucks for it and it lasting 36,000 miles isnt too bad i guess
:idk:

Fleck750
03-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Had an HJC CL-14 that fit like a dream. Replaced it with a CL-15 and the wind noise is about to drive me nuts. May have to try a AC model.

Love the Joe Rocket mesh, held up well on a high side and slide. Am going to get a Reactor to replace it with.

LOVE my ICON TiMax gloves. These are the ones with the titanium knuckles, have had them for 4 years. Found a place online to buy more when these die.

Dave
03-06-2009, 06:03 PM
timax gloves are the shit. Bout to put mine on in a minute when i get off the train lol

'73 H1 Triple
03-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Another vote for Icon anything. None of the Icon stuff I've had held up for longer than a year before falling apart.

........ You couldn't give me Icon gear to wear now.

I have a pair of Icon Super Duty gloves I purchased USED ( $15 )and they've held up great. They'll gotten completely saturated in the rain at least six times and still look/fit good.

Maybe I lucked out :idk:

Jeff

p00kienrayray
03-06-2009, 07:25 PM
...I honestly believe that Icon like all companies has some great gear and some not so great gear.

Second that. I don't really believe ppl when they say, "this is a good brand" or "this brand sucks"

kinda like girls; the moment i tell you that i'm not into midgets, a hot ass midget broad would walk by and i'll be like :drool: and then --->:eatatthey:

Fleck750
03-06-2009, 07:40 PM
timax gloves are the shit. Bout to put mine on in a minute when i get off the train lol

There are several people I'd like to use them on, I know that. :)

Dave
03-06-2009, 08:50 PM
There are several people I'd like to use them on, I now that. :)

oh mine have a list as well :lol:

Amber Lamps
03-06-2009, 09:16 PM
oh mine have a list as well :lol:

I've only punched one person while wearing my TiMax gloves but I can assure you that he has never forgotten that day!

fnfalman
03-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Vemar helmets are crap. They should be around $150-200 at most. Shit for finish, and super lame visor changing system. Hex bolts? You gotta be shitting me.

Sixxxxer
03-07-2009, 01:10 AM
I had scorpion Gloves that Wore out in like a Month...Waste fo money there...The two fingers were made of like Cloth and the other three were fake leather material Odd design...My first pair of gloves I ever bought...SHift Riding gloves were GREAT...except i bought them a size to small and I ripped the velcro sitching near the wrist

I have the ICON Tarmac V.3 Gloves now, There ok...Not great...Looking for a new pair.

My SHIFT Leather jacket was also a decent jacket....And my Cortech is AWESOME!!!

Fleck750
03-07-2009, 01:47 AM
I've only punched one person while wearing my TiMax gloves but I can assure you that he has never forgotten that day!

You're my hero!!!!:rockout:

Yamerhaw
03-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Every single person i've seen on Jason Britton's show "Superbikes" is wearing ICON, so I assume since they are all superbike riders that ICON must be good stuff, though i've never owned a piece of it..:whistle:

I dont know, it may be great stuff, i was just being a smart ass:sorry:

zed
03-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Every single person i've seen on Jason Britton's show "Superbikes" is wearing ICON, so I assume since they are all superbike riders that ICON must be good stuff, though i've never owned a piece of it..:whistle:

I dont know, it may be great stuff, i was just being a smart ass:sorry:

or they are a sponsor or the hooligans like the style over quality.

Yamerhaw
03-07-2009, 09:43 AM

i dont mean just the guys on the show, but whenever they go to a "bike gang night" or whatever they call it, etc, seems like all 3,000 people there are wearing ICON

zed
03-07-2009, 10:10 AM
i dont mean just the guys on the show, but whenever they go to a "bike gang night" or whatever they call it, etc, seems like all 3,000 people there are wearing ICON

oh, it'd be the second one then. style over quality.

JoJoYZF
03-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Makes sense. A lot of the people that I know that wear arai, shoei, a*, etc dont seem to be the bike night type.

Amber Lamps
03-07-2009, 05:54 PM
You're my hero!!!!:rockout:

Nah some guy was drunk and started some crap with one of my friends. When I "foolishly" stepped in to try to stop the fight,The guy took a swing at me with a beer bottle,seeing as I didn't have a CCW,I punched him extremely hard in the face and I happened to have put my gloves on before I did...:whistle: Trust me I don't go looking for trouble,win or lose,it normally isn't worth it.

Amber Lamps
03-07-2009, 06:00 PM

A lot of people say that and I won't argue but I have a A* jacket in the closet named the "T-Stunt" and it was out before or about the same time as Icon hit the scene. In fact A* makes a crap load of stunt rider style apparel, it's not Icon's fault that it isn't as popular as their stuff.

Fleck750
03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Nah some guy was drunk and started some crap with one of my friends. When I "foolishly" stepped in to try to stop the fight,The guy took a swing at me with a beer bottle,seeing as I didn't have a CCW,I punched him extremely hard in the face and I happened to have put my gloves on before I did...:whistle: Trust me I don't go looking for trouble,win or lose,it normally isn't worth it.

Can't imagine getting hit with something that hard. Makes brass knuckles look wimpy. Good you defended your friend, bad for the idiot on the receiving end of the TiMax.

snaps
03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Anything Joe Rocket is ..."okay".... for a little while, while it lasts, but doesn't last long.

Fieldsheer - when I worked at a shop, we had so much FS crap come back ripped, broken, what-have-you. The only good stuff they make is the Adventure pants/jacket, which are actually decent quality.

Icon helmets. Crap.

Same with HJC (A concussion from a soft 15mph crash?? No thanks, not again.)

KBC is only marginally better

Basically, it boils down to "you get what you pay for"... usually the more expensive, the better it'll hold up, and for longer.

zed
03-07-2009, 07:08 PM
A lot of people say that and I won't argue but I have a A* jacket in the closet named the "T-Stunt" and it was out before or about the same time as Icon hit the scene. In fact A* makes a crap load of stunt rider style apparel, it's not Icon's fault that it isn't as popular as their stuff.

yeah but I think the difference at first which helped Icon was the price. A* isn't cheap and Icon will make it look flashy usually for less cash.

I'd rather have good equipment. I got A* boots because as far as I could find out they were the only one with the extra brace for the ankles and a mechanic that I worked with said he had a pair on when he crashed, the bike was on his foot/ankle sliding down the road. he got up and didn't even have a limp. after my last crash and still limping 1+ years later, I got the first pair off ebay I could afford. well worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

don't get me wrong, there are some Icon items I really like. my TiMax gloves are one but with the one glove making two of my fingers numb they are not my favorite gloves to wear.

I really like the looks of the Icon Field Armor boots but they are thick and heavy.

Amber Lamps
03-07-2009, 07:15 PM
yeah but I think the difference at first which helped Icon was the price. A* isn't cheap and Icon will make it look flashy usually for less cash.

I'd rather have good equipment. I got A* boots because as far as I could find out they were the only one with the extra brace for the ankles and a mechanic that I worked with said he had a pair on when he crashed, the bike was on his foot/ankle sliding down the road. he got up and didn't even have a limp. after my last crash and still limping 1+ years later, I got the first pair off ebay I could afford. well worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

don't get me wrong, there are some Icon items I really like. my TiMax gloves are one but with the one glove making two of my fingers numb they are not my favorite gloves to wear.

I really like the looks of the Icon Field Armor boots but they are thick and heavy.

True about the boots,both parts actually. I have Icon FA boots and they are comfortable and I've crash tested them twice without any injuries (to the foot anyway). I do however love my A* SMX Plus boots,oh baby like butter,they are! I have black perforated and white regular.:dthumb:

JoJoYZF
03-07-2009, 07:25 PM
True about the boots,both parts actually. I have Icon FA boots and they are comfortable and I've crash tested them twice without any injuries (to the foot anyway). I do however love my A* SMX Plus boots,oh baby like butter,they are! I have black perforated and white regular.:dthumb:

Thats a helpful post, Im looking for some good boots and if your gear whore self likes the smx plus that much, thatll probably be one of the deciding factors over others.

Amber Lamps
03-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Thats a helpful post, Im looking for some good boots and if your gear whore self likes the smx plus that much, thatll probably be one of the deciding factors over others.

Oh yeah,I even had GP Techs. Nice enough boots but to big of a hassle on and off for me! I didn't like the SMX boots very much but these are the shit! Oh and I've owned an older pair of Garne and SIDI boots,eh nothing special at the time. What I really like the looks of are those fucking Puma top of the line boots in all white!!!:drool::drool::drool::drool:

zed
03-07-2009, 07:30 PM

mine are the A* supertech. I've had sidi and didn't like them as well, the sole on them wore way too quickly.

Amber Lamps
03-07-2009, 07:32 PM
mine are the A* supertech. I've had sidi and didn't like them as well, the sole on them wore way too quickly.

I never tried those,are they the ones that have two parts like the old GP Techs?

zed
03-07-2009, 07:32 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alpinestars-SMX-Street-Bike-Boots-44-sz-10-10-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7 c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1 Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem19 0290559879QQitemZ190290559879QQptZApparelQ5fMercha ndise

Amber Lamps
03-07-2009, 07:34 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alpinestars-SMX-Street-Bike-Boots-44-sz-10-10-5_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7 c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1 Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem19 0290559879QQitemZ190290559879QQptZApparelQ5fMercha ndise

Hey look around,I honestly got mine for $150 brand new at a dealership,no less. Keep your eyes open and have your money ready!

zed
03-07-2009, 07:36 PM
I never tried those,are they the ones that have two parts like the old GP Techs?

yes, two piece.

yeah, you are correct about being a little more work to get on but for the protection I'll spend the extra time.

p00kienrayray
03-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Fieldsheer - when I worked at a shop, we had so much FS crap come back ripped, broken, what-have-you. The only good stuff they make is the Adventure pants/jacket, which are actually decent quality.
yea unfortunately i'm gonna have to second that regarding their knee pucks. the crappiest fit ever. my left one will not stick to my suit completely, it comes off half way, which sucks cuz i always find myself holding my left knee when i can so that the damn thing won't fall off.

Basically, it boils down to "you get what you pay for"... usually the more expensive, the better it'll hold up, and for longer.
i catch your drift, but does that mean $700 arai lids will hold up better than any other?:idk:

zed
03-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Hey look around,I honestly got mine for $150 brand new at a dealership,no less. Keep your eyes open and have your money ready!

I was just looking to see what they were and seen that. looked like a good deal and thought he might look at them so he knew what to look for.

I think I paid around $150 for mine but they were practically new when I got them. barely a scratch even on the shifter pad.

zed
03-07-2009, 07:41 PM
i catch your drift, but does that mean $700 arai lids will hold up better than any other?:idk:

according to the TR rep, yes it will.

Yamerhaw
03-07-2009, 09:15 PM
yes, two piece.

yeah, you are correct about being a little more work to get on but for the protection I'll spend the extra time.

I've got supertechs and smx-plus, i REALLY like both of them, the supertechs arent too bad to take off and on, i just leave the inner part in them all the time, however if you put on the inner part first then try to put the outer part on, its a bitch

i've got a pair of Diadora's too, just usually wear them when i'm putting around in jeans and a jacket

zed
03-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I've got supertechs and smx-plus, i REALLY like both of them, the supertechs arent too bad to take off and on, i just leave the inner part in them all the time, however if you put on the inner part first then try to put the outer part on, its a bitch

i've got a pair of Diadora's too, just usually wear them when i'm putting around in jeans and a jacket

I think I've only taken the inner part out once just to see what they looked like. for off and on they stay in the boot.

Antwanny
03-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Well i have icon stuff and alpine star gear i have to say the icon jackets are great the mesh is great fitting, not crahs tested (year old) my daytona is crash tested and it looks halfway new (3 years old) and held up great. The gloves however had them about a year went through a crash held up well but now they are coming apart they feel cheap when you wear them but eh they were cheap( the perforated ones cant remember the model) and the icon mechanica helmet is top notch fit a bit snug when i got it but is great now, just need a new reflective visor.
A star boots= pwn
a star 1 piece=pwn a star makes good shit.
HJC helmet for free its a good helmet though after wearing the icon i would never buy a helmet that doesnt feel like 400$
________
Medical marijuana dispensaries (http://dispensaries.org/)

Dave
03-08-2009, 06:58 PM

thats awesome. Assuming i get sent to the 'stan im bringing em ;)

Amber Lamps
03-08-2009, 07:21 PM

Yea I hit that guy as hard as possible and I didn't feel a thing!

Homeslice
03-08-2009, 08:19 PM

I disagree, you can get those for $100-150 all day on Ebay, and for that price they are the best boot period. The insole has mad arch support, and the ratchet does a great job of locking your ankle down.

You want shit gear, buy Shift jackets, the leather is stiff like cardboard, and they are way baggy and ill-fitting. More shit gear includes AGVSport gloves.......Pakistani crap.

Sixxxxer
03-11-2009, 12:18 AM

Your going back???

Dave
03-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Your going back???

nothing official yet. But theres been some whisperings and ive got a strong hunch. Not gonna be soon though. No worries and shit can always change

Amber Lamps
03-11-2009, 12:50 PM
nothing official yet. But theres been some whisperings and ive got a strong hunch. Not gonna be soon though. No worries and shit can always change

Boy that the truth!