PDA

View Full Version : alarms

t-homo
03-05-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm looking at getting an alarm system for my bike this spring. I know that scorpio is supposed to be top of the line. Gorilla seems like a cheaper alternative but not as nice. Anybody have experience with both?

lauralynne
03-05-2009, 02:17 AM
why not lo-jack and get that fucker back if it's stolen? I don't put much faith in audible alarms. The bike's gone before anyone gives a shit about a *BEEP*

askmrjesus
03-05-2009, 07:04 PM
why not lo-jack and get that fucker back if it's stolen? I don't put much faith in audible alarms. The bike's gone before anyone gives a shit about a *BEEP*

Good advice.

A bike alarm went off at a BMW rally I was at a few years back. IIRC, somebody threw a shoe at it. :lol:

JC

Amber Lamps
03-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I've had Scorpio and I have a Gorilla now. What I did was buy the Zoombak and the alarm for about the price of the Scorpio. It sounds stupid but my favorite thing about the Gorilla is the led lights (I added an extra for $5),most thieves will tell ya that they go for the easiest score. The Zoombak cost $150 and lets me track my bike on the internet. Nothing is gonna stop a pro but having an alarm could deter the random thief.

t-homo
03-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Hopefully a pro wont be going after a 9 year old bike then.

Amber Lamps
03-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Hopefully a pro wont be going after a 9 year old bike then.

Yea I'm glad you said it...I almost said something to that effect but didn't want to sound like I was crackin on your ride. You should be fine with the Gorilla,it has a tip sensor,shock sensor,electrical sensor. Heck,you can even get a two way pager remote if you want. They install in like 15 minutes which is NOT something you can say about Scorpio!!!:panic:

t-homo
03-06-2009, 12:22 AM
Yea I'm glad you said it...I almost said something to that effect but didn't want to sound like I was crackin on your ride. You should be fine with the Gorilla,it has a tip sensor,shock sensor,electrical sensor. Heck,you can even get a two way pager remote if you want. They install in like 15 minutes which is NOT something you can say about Scorpio!!!:panic:

Hahahaha. My bike has 46 thousand miles on it. I realize its not brand new man. You act like I can't take a joke lol. There is a girl locally who is selling her scorpio so if its the same price, i'll probably go for it. I really want the 2-way pager so it buzzes in my pocket if someone's messing with it.

Gas Man
03-06-2009, 12:50 AM
scorpio with the pager and my glock

nuff said

t-homo
03-06-2009, 12:55 AM
Do you have ignition cut-off and perimeter sensor?

Amber Lamps
03-06-2009, 01:27 AM
Do you have ignition cut-off and perimeter sensor?

I'll answer for him in the affirmative. We had this discussion last Summer,I believe. He has the top of the line Scorpio if I'm not mistaken...

smileyman
03-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I got a base Scorpio. Tip and shock sensored. The alarm is good but the remotes are crap, get a spare first thing and perhaps a spare battery...

Rider
03-06-2009, 09:44 AM
You got your bike insured right? Fuck it, if the bike gets stolen, it gets stolen.
You're detectable is going to cost you the same or less than the alarm. Forget about lo jack. Somebody steals my bike, I don't want that fucker back. No telling what damage was done to it that can't be seen with the eye. I'll take my chances and lock the shit up in a garage at night and not ever leave it parked in place that it can't be monitored. Just use your head. I've NEVER had any of my cars or bikes stolen, much less broken into or vandalized. I left my key in my bike while it was in my garage. I leave my keys in my car all the time. If you are that concerned about your shit being fucked with maybe you should reconsider where you leave your stuff. I'm nearly twice your age T-Rock and I have yet to be a victim.

Amber Lamps
03-06-2009, 10:28 AM
You got your bike insured right? Fuck it, if the bike gets stolen, it gets stolen.
You're detectable is going to cost you the same or less than the alarm. Forget about lo jack. Somebody steals my bike, I don't want that fucker back. No telling what damage was done to it that can't be seen with the eye. I'll take my chances and lock the shit up in a garage at night and not ever leave it parked in place that it can't be monitored. Just use your head. I've NEVER had any of my cars or bikes stolen, much less broken into or vandalized. I left my key in my bike while it was in my garage. I leave my keys in my car all the time. If you are that concerned about your shit being fucked with maybe you should reconsider where you leave your stuff. I'm nearly twice your age T-Rock and I have yet to be a victim.

He's got a point there Bro. On the other hand,I don't know where you live so maybe you have some reason to fear.:idk: I know four guys here that have had their bikes stolen out of their apt parking lots. Not everyone lives in the suburbs or even has a garage,Ed. I have a cable lock attached to a pole,Zoombak and an alarm but I live in a "shady" area without a garage. Again :idk: if a $150 alarm will make you sleep better at night,then why not?

t-homo
03-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I live right by campus, so its not really a bad part of town. I will park it at my friends house in his garage, but I'm sure I will keep it in my apartment parking lot occasionally. I also only have liability. Three years of full coverage would pay for my bike again, and I don't have that kind of money. Hopefully I have nothing to worry about, but just in case.

Amber Lamps
03-06-2009, 10:43 AM
I live right by campus, so its not really a bad part of town. I will park it at my friends house in his garage, but I'm sure I will keep it in my apartment parking lot occasionally. I also only have liability. Three years of full coverage would pay for my bike again, and I don't have that kind of money. Hopefully I have nothing to worry about, but just in case.

Oh yea you're fucking 19! Jesus Ed,they probably want 2k+ a year to insure this kid on a R1! Yeah,go get you an alarm buddy. Like I said,I will probably deter the small time thieves anyway. BTW some insurance companies will allow you to have liability and comprehensive without getting collision,depending on the state. If you haven't checked into that already...

Rider
03-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Oh yea you're fucking 19! Jesus Ed,they probably want 2k+ a year to insure this kid on a R1! Yeah,go get you an alarm buddy. Like I said,I will probably deter the small time thieves anyway. BTW some insurance companies will allow you to have liability and comprehensive without getting collision,depending on the state. If you haven't checked into that already...

Yeah I guess I didnt look at it as to what full coverage would cost on an R1 for a 19yo. You could buy 10 alarms and still save money. LOL

t-homo
03-06-2009, 10:51 AM
I'll look at it. In my hometown of 11K people, only 3 places would insure me at all. Asking between 1200 and 1500 a year for full coverage. Finally found 600 a year for liability. One lady wouldn't tell me how expensive it was because she felt bad, lol. I'll look into the comprehensive thing. Might be a good deal to check out.

Rider
03-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I'll look at it. In my hometown of 11K people, only 3 places would insure me at all. Asking between 1200 and 1500 a year for full coverage. Finally found 600 a year for liability. One lady wouldn't tell me how expensive it was because she felt bad, lol. I'll look into the comprehensive thing. Might be a good deal to check out.

You'll get the shaft for sure. Not to rub it in but I was only paying less than $500 a year for full coverage on a brand new bike with $500 collision and $250 comprehensive detectables.

t-homo
03-06-2009, 11:12 AM
You'll get the shaft for sure. Not to rub it in but I was only paying less than $500 a year for full coverage on a brand new bike with $500 collision and $250 comprehensive detectables.

I can't wait until I am old enough to get that kind of insurance. Hey, do you want to just put my bike in your name? haha.

Rider
03-06-2009, 11:19 AM
I can't wait until I am old enough to get that kind of insurance. Hey, do you want to just put my bike in your name? haha.

Save your money, get liability only, a scorpio alarm and a semi auto of your choice. :dthumb:

t-homo
03-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Once I turn 21, I will have a pistol. That's still another year and 2 months away. I will have the Benelli Nova though. Make sure to aim high, don't want to hit the bike.