PDA

View Full Version : In ten years, all Infiniti will be automatic CVT hybrids. No exceptions

pauldun170
03-05-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.leftlanenews.com/all-infinitis-will-be-hybrids-within-10-years.html

Homeslice
03-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Sorry but I'll never buy a CVT

Rider
03-05-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't believe it. There is no way the G37 or whatever it will be by then, G39 maybe, go to a CVT or a hybrid for that matter.

Dave
03-05-2009, 12:15 PM
dumbest move evar!

Rsv1000R
03-05-2009, 12:20 PM

Never's a long time.

Dave
03-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Never's a long time.

so is waiting for a one speed planetary to accelerate :lmao:

Cutty72
03-05-2009, 12:30 PM
how can they make a work truck with a CVT?

FAIL

derf
03-05-2009, 03:40 PM
I dunno, in theory the CVT is an incredible move towards using a cars full potential. Just imagine having your engine spin at peak power and just changing your transmission drive ratios. Maybe just call me crazy.

However I have no doubt taht car companies would completely screw with it enough to the point that it sucks.

Cutty72
03-05-2009, 03:48 PM
I dunno, in theory the CVT is an incredible move towards using a cars full potential. Just imagine having your engine spin at peak power and just changing your transmission drive ratios. Maybe just call me crazy.

However I have no doubt taht car companies would completely screw with it enough to the point that it sucks.

u think that, go drive a Jeep Compass.
Merge on interstate, tachs up to 6K and still not going anywhere...

derf
03-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Like I said....

Homeslice
03-05-2009, 04:02 PM
u think that, go drive a Jeep Compass.
Merge on interstate, tachs up to 6K and still not going anywhere...
or a dodge caliber........It won't pull out to pass unless you push the pedal past a mechanical "detent" that tells the motor to jump to like 5500.......It's annoying

Cutty72
03-05-2009, 04:04 PM
or a dodge caliber........It won't pull out to pass unless you push the pedal past a mechanical "detent" that tells the motor to jump to like 5500.......It's annoying

That's cause they are the same vehicle :lol:

Dave
03-05-2009, 06:43 PM
ok you gotta push hybrids cause morons buy the whole heating/cooling/change/whatever it is this week nonsense. but why cant you put a manual in it? iirc honda is the only company to ever release a stick shift hybrid and they dont even sell that one anymore. what fuck

Homeslice
03-05-2009, 06:45 PM
That's cause they are the same vehicle :lol:

really? so now there's a jeep built off that chassis? what a joke

101lifts2
03-05-2009, 08:57 PM

You will if its the only thing they make. :zowned:

101lifts2
03-05-2009, 08:58 PM

The problem is you cannot apply a large amount of torque because you are not "locking" anything unlike a manual (dry clutch) or automatic (clutch pack).

derf
03-05-2009, 11:24 PM
The problem is you cannot apply a large amount of torque because you are not "locking" anything unlike a manual (dry clutch) or automatic (clutch pack).

look in my mind shit works right. I'm right, youre wrong.

Cutty72
03-05-2009, 11:27 PM
really? so now there's a jeep built off that chassis? what a joke

yeah, they came out at the same time.

Actually, there are 2 Jeeps on that chassis.
The Compass and the Patriot.
Both are either front or all wheel drive
Compass is the girl vehicle
Patriot is the pre-pubesecent boy vehicle.

Difference is the Patriot is more squared off (thing mini Liberty) and with the Limited package, you can "shift" it. Not sure how you can shift a CVT, but it makes a diff :idk:
And the Patriot can be "trail rated" (ie it has a low range option on the trans)

Homeslice
03-05-2009, 11:36 PM
So there's FWD Jeeps now? :rolleyes:

Guess it's fitting though, seeing how at least half of these little "trucklet" owners never go off-road. All they want is the "rugged" style to go with their Eddie Bauer safari shirts.

Cutty72
03-06-2009, 12:12 AM
So there's FWD Jeeps now? :rolleyes:

Guess it's fitting though, seeing how at least half of these little "trucklet" owners never go off-road. All they want is the "rugged" style to go with their Eddie Bauer safari shirts.

yup, as of the 08 model year.

they are junk. 4 cyl CVT trans... yuck.
They don't deserve the Jeep logo on the hood. :panic:
but the 3.8L in the Wrangler is a joke too, really gutless.

About the only respectable jeeps left are the GC and Liberty.

Mikey
03-06-2009, 12:29 AM
yup, as of the 08 model year.

they are junk. 4 cyl CVT trans... yuck.
They don't deserve the Jeep logo on the hood. :panic:
but the 3.8L in the Wrangler is a joke too, really gutless.

About the only respectable jeeps left are the GC and Liberty.

Did you just call the Liberty respectable? Are you feeling OK? That thing is about as respectable as a Power Wheels Barbie Corvette.

Cutty72
03-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Did you just call the Liberty respectable? Are you feeling OK? That thing is about as respectable as a Power Wheels Barbie Corvette.

It's got "decent" power, and a true 4WD system...
That's more than any other new Jeep has.
GC has more power, but a "cityfied" 4X4 system

Still think they should offer the 3.0 L diesel in the Lib and Wrangler.

101lifts2
03-06-2009, 01:25 AM
look in my mind shit works right. I'm right, youre wrong.

I'm not sure why ur being dumb. lol

A CVT has 2 big ass cones that are facing opposite each other spaced apart about a foot. You simply move a steel belt up and down the cones to change the gear ratios. Yes CVTs make alot of sense in fact they make perfect sense. The only issue is that they cannot take alot of torque because the steel belt slips.

I have taken apart a few CVTs on the Saturn ION (back in 2000) and they are very simple, but fragile at the same time. GM ditched the CVTs because when the pressure was lost in the trans, the steel belt would fall apart (the belt is comprised of little retangular pieces held together by 2 steel bands). Audi seems to have this CVT stuff down pat.

goof2
03-06-2009, 01:34 AM
how can they make a work truck with a CVT?

FAIL

This kind of confuses me. Infiniti doesn't sell work trucks. The only "truck" Infiniti really sells is the QX (rebadged Nissan Armada) and I expect the QX to get the ax pretty soon.

Cutty72
03-06-2009, 10:26 AM
This kind of confuses me. Infiniti doesn't sell work trucks. The only "truck" Infiniti really sells is the QX (rebadged Nissan Armada) and I expect the QX to get the ax pretty soon.

wasn't talking infinity specifically. if ALL manufacturers go to CVT was more my point.

goof2
03-06-2009, 03:22 PM
wasn't talking infinity specifically. if ALL manufacturers go to CVT was more my point.

OK, I was putting your post in the context of the original article and wasn't sure what you were trying to say.

To the original article, Infiniti is making a pretty big mistake by focusing all their efforts on an engine style that has yet to be profitable. I know Honda and Toyota have stated they loose money on their hybrids. Since they still will not say how much I'm guessing it is a lot. GM and Ford can't make money when using conventional motors. I doubt they are making anything on their hybrids. Infiniti is also making a mistake by exclusively using a transmission style that, at least in this thread, people don't like and don't want.

Add in the fact that this would raise the cost of Infinitis due to having to develop their own powertrains instead of just using what Nissan already has and I am not entirely sure Infiniti will be around much more than 10 years.