PDA

View Full Version : Got a sorta offer yersterday

ericr
03-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Guy I know rode by the dealership yesterday on an '03 Z1000 he picked up a little while back. Asked if I wanted to work out a trade for my bike. I'm sure the Z would be fun but I don't know if it'll be a good long distance/all day riding bike. I want an FZ1 but this one's is tempting....:idk: Throw some thoughts and opinions. Anyone had a Z1000 to give me more insite?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/erush69/03Z1000.jpg

OTB
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM
I had one and it was a wheelie monster. It was also a bit buzzy in the pegs, and ther is no respite from the wind blast. The FZ1 would be a better long distance bike IMHO. FWIW.

Porkchop
03-06-2009, 10:55 AM
TAKE IT!!!!

It actually has a modified ZX-9R motor in it. Its known as the wheelie monster.... the front is so light. Supprisingly its comfortable, but comparitively speaking, has no wind protection vs. the FZ1.

Of course i havnt ridden one, but i like them, so ive read up on them quite a bit.

Do some reading, take a test ride. When he said he would work out a trade.... did he mean he was going to be paying you???? The first gens aren't really super expensive.

That color is sweet too. :drool:

ericr
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
He'd have to give me some boot with it. Mine is worth about 1600 more book value without any of the stuff I've put on it. I know that's not much of a factor but 7K worth of mods I'm gonna get something for it.

I'd love to have it as a "second" hooligan bike, but can't do 2 right now :(

Rider
03-06-2009, 11:05 AM
The Kawasaki's are vibe happy by nature. At 4Krpm the rear view mirrors became useless. I had the little brother to the Z1000, aZ750. They are comfy enough for an all day ride, but not as comfy as the FZ1 as the bars are a little higher on the Yamaha. And like everyone else has said, they are wheelie monsters. Great low end torque but they don't have much of a top end. 140-150 tops. Not that you'll ever need to go that fast.

Phenix_Rider
03-06-2009, 12:21 PM
I'd take the Z over an FZ. As long as you're not slabbing all day, I wouldn't think wind blast should be a problem. Anything is better than a cruiser :whistle:

ericr
03-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Great low end torque but they don't have much of a top end. 140-150 tops. Not that you'll ever need to go that fast.

You're right, not that I'd need more speed but the FZ tops out around 160 or so I think. That's not a big issue really.

I'd take the Z over an FZ. As long as you're not slabbing all day, I wouldn't think wind blast should be a problem. Anything is better than a cruiser :whistle:

I don't do much slabbing if I can help it but I do all day rides on 2 lane highways around here and that's about the same over a day.

I think I might ask him if he wants to trade out for a day or two next weekend so I can get a feel for it and see if I'd like it enough to trade.

zed
03-07-2009, 10:22 AM
I have a friend that took a trip from Denver up through Nebraska to mid Illinois and back with his woman on the back. he says it's pretty good in the twisties around Denver too.

Mr Lefty
03-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I think I might ask him if he wants to trade out for a day or two next weekend so I can get a feel for it and see if I'd like it enough to trade.

that's exactly what you need to do... find a nice weekend... and trade it out... or just plan a long route with him... something that has a little bit of everything, slab, twistys, sweepers, lights... ect... and swap bikes.

we talked about the Z1000... and you know I like the FZ1 much more... only because if I was buying something like that... long trips would be on the books.

good luck either way...

No Worries
03-07-2009, 12:27 PM
If I had to have a Kawi, I would get any ZX-11 or a 1998 or newer ZX-9. Instead of the Z1000, I would rather have a 1998 ZX-9. The fairing is a zillion times better, and with the money I saved I could upgrade the suspension and brakes. Plus, I think the 9 looks much better than the Z. As for the carb problem on the 9, a 5-cent shim under the needle cures it.

Porkchop
03-07-2009, 02:11 PM
If I had to have a Kawi, I would get any ZX-11 or a 1998 or newer ZX-9. Instead of the Z1000, I would rather have a 1998 ZX-9. The fairing is a zillion times better, and with the money I saved I could upgrade the suspension and brakes. Plus, I think the 9 looks much better than the Z. As for the carb problem on the 9, a 5-cent shim under the needle cures it.

Honestly, it really comes down to taste. If you want a ballsy hooligan bike then get the Z. If you want a refined comfortable sporty naked bike, then the FZ is your bike. Styling pretty much comes down to eye of the beholder. The FZ is very pretty and smoothe, whereas the Z is badass.

Go here for the Z >>>> http://www.riderforums.com/index.php

Oh, and NW, if i were to get a ZX-9 i'd go with the 2000.....

zed
03-07-2009, 06:37 PM
oh yeah, love the look of the ZX9 that would make it to my short list too.

101lifts2
03-07-2009, 10:23 PM
I've owned alot of bikes (ZX6r, ZX9r (2 of em), 636, EX500 (2 of em), ZR750, GSXR750, SV1000, SV650, YZF600r, Zx10r and CBr600rr)...and I have to say for commuting the YZF600r was the best. Narrow, good wind protection, decent chassis and about 50mpg. The ZX9r would be next, but it def. needs to be rejetted and regeared.

I don't know if I missed any bikes. lol

Particle Man
03-09-2009, 09:50 PM
a friend of mine had one until he moved to the next victim bike :lol:

seemed pretty decent

RedRider2k2
03-10-2009, 04:36 PM
I've always loved the Zs. It would probably take some modding to get it to a point where your happy on long rides. Myself, I've realized just how little I care about my comfort so I think it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

There's an 05 sitting at a local dealership here for the last few months. I've been kinda hoping that it would sell just so I can stop thinking of it.

buzzcutt2
03-10-2009, 05:11 PM

My current ride is a 1998 ZX-9, I'm pretty happy with it. :rockwoot:

Porkchop
03-10-2009, 07:20 PM
I've always loved the Zs. It would probably take some modding to get it to a point where your happy on long rides. Myself, I've realized just how little I care about my comfort so I think it wouldn't make too much of a difference.

There's an 05 sitting at a local dealership here for the last few months. I've been kinda hoping that it would sell just so I can stop thinking of it.

Do it, do it, do it! :rockwoot:

RedRider2k2
03-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Do it, do it, do it! :rockwoot:

I went to see it today. Talked to the guy who sold me mine and got some ballpark numbers together. I think I might put it on hold though and keep mine a while longer. A friend of mine has an 86 500 Interceptor that would be great for my Girlfriend. Maybe it's time for a late Valentines Day present for her.

Mr Lefty
03-14-2009, 11:26 PM
so eric... have you ridden it yet?

ericr
03-15-2009, 11:32 AM
so eric... have you ridden it yet?

I haven't Ebbs. The weather got all nasty here for the last few days and I really decided I won't do it. I want an FZ and that's it :p If it was for a second bike, hells yeah I'd love to have that for a round town hooligan bike :D

Mr Lefty
03-17-2009, 07:31 PM
I haven't Ebbs. The weather got all nasty here for the last few days and I really decided I won't do it. I want an FZ and that's it :p If it was for a second bike, hells yeah I'd love to have that for a round town hooligan bike :D

that's cool... yeah don't settle just cause it's there... you'll regret it. trust me... I'm going through that with my truck... not that it's a bad truck... it's great actually... it's just... I miss my pickup... not a day has gone by since I've been down here that I haven't said (when I've used my X) damn... really wish I had a pickup...

I think I'll be trade'n in the X in the winter... save up a decent down payment and hope to find an 06 or 07 Tacoma in on trade... if not... I'll be buy'n a new one... :idk:

Cutty72
03-17-2009, 10:33 PM
you are in MS... they don't have "winter" :lol: