PDA

View Full Version : cleaning your visor

Frostz28
03-12-2009, 01:32 AM
OK Im sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find it, so forgive me if this is ANOTHER visor thread. Anyway, how do you guys clean the visor on your helmets? My Dad SWEARS up and down you aren't suppose to use any type of cleaning agents on the windshields and visors. However, plain ol water and a rag just aint gettin the job done. I got some crusted stuff on it now and even when I think I get all the crap off I still can't see as well as Id like to. Maybe my visor is just old and I need a new one but do you guys have any tricks of the trade that you might be willing to share? Ive always ended up buying a new helmet before I got to the point where the visor needs replacing so I guess I don't know the warning signs of an old visor. Oh and by the way the title was suppose to be cleaning your VISOR! sorry.

Riceaholic
03-12-2009, 03:08 AM
windex and a paper towel has always worked for me.

Amber Lamps
03-12-2009, 03:19 AM
windex and a paper towel has always worked for me.

Windex destroys any fog coating on contact...water and a soft towel ftw.

derf
03-12-2009, 03:59 AM
Windex, and I've never had a problem with the anti fog stuff being wiped off except on an icon helmet

neebelung
03-12-2009, 08:30 AM
I use a plastic-safe window cleaner (with a soft cloth), then Honda Polish (with a t-shirt or microfiber cloth). If I have a lot of dried bugs on it, I use a really wet towel first to loosen them up, then the Honda Polish.

I use Zooks (I think that's the name of it - it's ice blue) anti-fog on the inside.

Rider
03-12-2009, 08:33 AM
Honda polish and a microfiber towel cleans the bugs off real easy.

Archren
03-12-2009, 09:05 AM
I've always used Plexus on mine, never had any problems with it, but I only have a clear shield. When I had mirrored shields I always just used water and a soft cloth because those damn things scratch so easily.

Mr Lefty
03-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Dish soap. It'll break up the bug guts...

Other than that I use 3m glass cleaner... Stuff fucking rocks... But I rarely use it on my visor... As dish soap works perfect

t-homo
03-12-2009, 09:09 AM
warm water and dish soap.

Ninjakel
03-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Honda polish and a microfiber towel.

Dave
03-12-2009, 09:29 AM
warm water and a little bitty dab of dish soap.

Sixxxxer
03-12-2009, 01:10 PM
I just use windex and a paper towel...Works for me...Even with the anti fog.

Amorok
03-12-2009, 02:11 PM
I use that shit you buy to clean sunglasses. Spray a little on a micro fiber cloth, wipe it with the wet side then go across with a dry one.

zed
03-12-2009, 02:11 PM
what ever is handy.

plexus, honda polish, windex, don't matter to me. soft cloth mostly, wet paper towl if nothing else.

buzzcutt2
03-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Windex and paper towel here.

Frostz28
03-12-2009, 03:40 PM
hmm well sounds like windex don't hurt anything which is good to know. I can see the dish soap working real well at breaking up the guts. Im gonna go try it right now. Thanks for the advice!

JoJoYZF
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
I use some stuff called stoner glass cleaner. It doesnt have ammonia which is what I heard messes up the anti fog coatings and its only like 2 or 3 bucks a bottle at wal mart.

neebelung
03-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I use some stuff called stoner glass cleaner. ... and its only like 2 or 3 bucks a bottle at wal mart.

And works equally well as bong water I suppose?

Archren
03-12-2009, 04:11 PM

:rofl:

JoJoYZF
03-12-2009, 04:14 PM

I wonder that myself. Ive never smoked anything in my life but I do have a few pot head friends thatd probably be willing to try it.

Amber Lamps
03-12-2009, 04:52 PM
I wonder that myself. Ive never smoked anything in my life but I do have a few pot head friends thatd probably be willing to try it.

It probably keeps that unsightly tar stain from forming on your bong...

ZUKIMON
03-21-2009, 02:25 AM
warm water and dish soap.

Bare hands and Dawn FTW! :D Sometimes I use glass cleaner or rubbing alcohol if I don't have the time or what have you to pull the visor and clean it in the sink. I do keep it waxed with Mcguires cleaner polish to help with the bug guts and to help shed water if I get caught out. ;)

was92v
03-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Spray & Shine for a quickie. If the shield is off the helmet, warm water and mild soap, dry with a soft cloth. I never use a paper towel, they all scratch. For the dried bugs that have been there a few days, place a damp cloth over the shield and let it stay there for 10-15 minutes, then just wipe them off.
I keep a wet cloth in a baggie and a dry cloth in a baggie under the seat. Then I have something to clean my visor with all day.
Usually everyone around uses it too...
Amazingly a wet cloth stays wet for about 3 months. Doesn't smell very good, but it stays wet.

Amber Lamps
03-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Spray & Shine for a quickie. If the shield is off the helmet, warm water and mild soap, dry with a soft cloth. I never use a paper towel, they all scratch. For the dried bugs that have been there a few days, place a damp cloth over the shield and let it stay there for 10-15 minutes, then just wipe them off.
I keep a wet cloth in a baggie and a dry cloth in a baggie under the seat. Then I have something to clean my visor with all day.
Usually everyone around uses it too...
Amazingly a wet cloth stays wet for about 3 months. Doesn't smell very good, but it stays wet.

I could imagine a wet rag,with bug guts on it,under the seat for 3 months.... whew!:jd:

tommymac
03-21-2009, 09:38 AM
I usualy use an alcohol prep pad from work/ the hospital or whatever glass/plastic cleaner we have at home. I do want to get a small bottle totake on rides as well. Esp since that first bug decides to commit suicide right in my line of vision, after cleaning my shield.

Tom

Mrs. Colleen
03-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Just water. Lay a wet microfiber cloth over the screen for about 10 minutes then wipe everything away. Those were the instructions that came with my husband's Arai. :beers:

marko138
03-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Plain old water and a MF towel.

rogue
03-28-2009, 11:43 PM
I usualy use an alcohol prep pad from work/ the hospital or whatever glass/plastic cleaner we have at home. I do want to get a small bottle totake on rides as well. Esp since that first bug decides to commit suicide right in my line of vision, after cleaning my shield.

Tom

This is similar to what I did at work. I used the sanitizer wipes on mine. If I'm at home, good paper towels work.

And it never fails, let me clean my visor while I'm out riding and some huge fucking bug decides to spill his guts all in my line of vision. Bastards.

zed
03-29-2009, 12:38 AM
This is similar to what I did at work. I used the sanitizer wipes on mine. If I'm at home, good paper towels work.

And it never fails, let me clean my visor while I'm out riding and some huge fucking bug decides to spill his guts all in my line of vision. Bastards.

like this?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/zedx10r/Tina%20MO/toTinaMO013.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/zedx10r/Tina%20MO/toTinaMO010.jpg

t-homo
03-29-2009, 12:52 AM
What the fuck was that? I know there was one night in late May when I was driving my dad's truck on the toll highway headed to topeka and we hit enough junebugs we had to stop twice to clean the windshield.

Yamerhaw
03-29-2009, 12:53 AM
warm water and dish detergent

rogue
03-29-2009, 01:02 AM
like this?

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/zedx10r/Tina%20MO/toTinaMO013.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h84/zedx10r/Tina%20MO/toTinaMO010.jpg

I've never had one or two splatter that bad at once, but my helmet's looked similar but with a few more bodies...or body parts still stuck to it. :lol:
What the hell hit you? :scratch:

Are those Icon TMax gloves? If so, how do you like them? :D

NONE_too_SOFT
03-29-2009, 01:31 AM
windex.

spit.

water.

whatever. As far as the chromatic lens' go, they're hit or miss. some people have never had them chip/fade and others have had em go bad in a week... and i haven't heard any single definitive way to prevent it.

the things getting hit with pebbles and bugs at 80mph, i dont think my washcloth/shirt/sock is going to really hurt anything.

Amber Lamps
03-29-2009, 05:49 AM
I've never had one or two splatter that bad at once, but my helmet's looked similar but with a few more bodies...or body parts still stuck to it. :lol:

I have both short and long TiMax gloves and I love them! My shorts and I have been down twice without any immediately visable damage to the gloves and zero damage to my hands.

fatburg
03-29-2009, 09:43 AM
best method guarentee: wet a paper towell and place it on the visor nice and smooth, come back in 15 min, remove towell, wipe with a soft rag. nice and shiney, no chemicals, no damage. i do the same for my windscreen

zed
03-29-2009, 10:35 AM

I have no idea what it was, looked like a black tennis ball till it splatted.

yes, they are TMax gloves. I really like them but, the right glove after worn for a bit makes about half my fingers numb. I have worn a pair of the shorties that were great, no pressure points.

Amber Lamps
03-29-2009, 11:29 AM
I have no idea what it was, looked like a black tennis ball till it splatted.

yes, they are TMax gloves. I really like them but, the right glove after worn for a bit makes about half my fingers numb. I have worn a pair of the shorties that were great, no pressure points.

Yea Icon has had some sizing issues for sure. Luckily,I got my shorties from an Icon stocking dealer and he had a bunch of pairs in stock. The TiMax were especially terrible for irregularities. Supposedly,they fixed all that with the TiMax II gloves but they're fugly!

Mr Lefty
03-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Tigger have you EVER paid retail for anything? :lol:

rogue
03-29-2009, 02:35 PM
I don't know about Tigger, but I have NEVER paid for any of my gear retail. I've bought new and used. My latest aquisition is a pair of Frank Thomas Agua boots for $28. :D Someone bought them and they didn't fit them right so they sold them. Their loss. My gain. :D

http://i2.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/37/cc/be6f_1.JPG

I had a pair of the Icon Hooligan gloves a couple of years ago. That's why I asked about the TiMax's. I tried every trick people told me to help break them in, but I eventually gave them away because the padding in the palms were so thick I couldn't feel shit and it made it hard for me the levers. I had thought about getting a pair of TiMax's but was hesitant...afraid I'd have the same issue.

zed
03-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Yea Icon has had some sizing issues for sure. Luckily,I got my shorties from an Icon stocking dealer and he had a bunch of pairs in stock. The TiMax were especially terrible for irregularities. Supposedly,they fixed all that with the TiMax II gloves but they're fugly!

yeah, I don't like the looks of the other TiMax gloves either. the originals are my favorite. I have found a place that still sells them but they still want original price for them. :(

zed
03-29-2009, 05:39 PM
I had a pair of the Icon Hooligan gloves a couple of years ago. That's why I asked about the TiMax's. I tried every trick people told me to help break them in, but I eventually gave them away because the padding in the palms were so thick I couldn't feel shit and it made it hard for me the levers. I had thought about getting a pair of TiMax's but was hesitant...afraid I'd have the same issue.

my hands aren't huge but can tell the difference between my TiMax gloves and the Teknic's I have. I like my MotoGP gloves fit better than the TiMax and they look pretty good too ;)

Sixxxxer
03-29-2009, 09:21 PM
I think the best thing I have to say is I flipped my Visor down and INSTANTLY A bug shit right on my Line of sight...I was like damn if I left it open my face would have been all nasty and I could have crashed...

I had nats galore in the summer on my Lid.

Amber Lamps
03-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Tigger have you EVER paid retail for anything? :lol:

Seriously?....nope! They hate it when I come into the dealership! I installed a car horn on my bike Sat and beat the guy down at Autozone to $15 on a 132 db unit.