PDA

View Full Version : Crash tested

Amorok
03-12-2009, 02:19 PM
So I've heard people say this about their gear on here a few times. I'm not knocking anybodsy, but I've always been told you replace a helmet after a crash. I know people who have gone down multiple times with a helmet and still wear it, but I can't see doing that, especially since my insurance compeny will buy me a new one. So would you buy a new one after laying the bike down? Do you have it serviced or just press on? What about Jackets, boots, gloves and pants (assuming there's anything left of them)?

Rider
03-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Buy a new one without question. I have a wrecked one that I sell super cheap if someone wants it. . Shoei TZR size M. First $25 + shipping can have it. I also have a non wrecked one identical to it that I will let go for $150.

Curb
03-12-2009, 02:34 PM
it depends on the type of crash. if my head took the brunt of the impact then yes...get a new one. but like my crash in january my body hit first and then my head slid on the pavement and scuffed it up pretty good...but I use it now for work...and once i get a little extra cash i'll get a new one for my daily use

z06boy
03-12-2009, 02:36 PM
If the helmet hit the ground or any other immoveable(?) object I'd replace it without question. If it didn't get damaged or just had a scratch or two then I probably wouldn't replace it.

tommymac
03-12-2009, 02:44 PM
it depends on the type of crash. if my head took the brunt of the impact then yes...get a new one. but like my crash in january my body hit first and then my head slid on the pavement and scuffed it up pretty good...but I use it now for work...and once i get a little extra cash i'll get a new one for my daily use

I agree, my last 2 crashes on the track my body took the brunt of the crashes and didnt realy hit my head, but if I do hit my head i will replace the helmet since i believe they are supposed to be one and done. As for the rest of my gear it would depend on how it fared in the crash.

Tom

Archren
03-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Same as what others have already said.. if it's a helmet that took impact during a crash, I'll replace it.

Certain jackets/boots/pants/gloves or whatever will survive more than one crash I imagine, assuming the stitching remained intact and the material wasn't too worn down from sliding, but any armor inserts that were impacted should be replaced, IIRC.

PhiSig1071
03-12-2009, 03:48 PM
You can send Shoei's in to be X-Rayed and tested. I did that with one helemt and they said it was fine and returned it to me. If they didn't say it was OK I would have bought a new one. Helmets are cheaper than heads, and sweat dries faster than skin heals.

fasternyou929
03-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Like any real decision in life, you have to evaluate it. If my head barely touched the ground and I had a knick in the paint, I wouldn't rush to donate more money to Shoei. If the damage was severe enough to cause any doubt about its reliability, it'd be gone.

JoJoYZF
03-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Ive yet to it my head (or really any part of my body from a wreck) so I havent had to worry about it, but if my helmet hits the ground itll either get sent out to shoei like phisig did or replaced.

shmike
03-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I agree with the majority.

Helmet: If it takes an impact it gets replaced. If it gets scuffed from a minor lowside, I'll reuse it or downgrade it to mini-bike or street duty.

I bought a new lid last year after a lowside during practice. A rock scratched the lid and it lost a vent in the process. I replaced it because I wasn't sure it would pass tech at the next race. I was wrong. Now I have two race ready helmets.

Suit: Been down more times than Tater's wife at a swingers club. If a panel gets worn out or worn through, it gets fixed. If any of the Knox armor takes a serious impact, it gets replaced.

Amber Lamps
03-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Same here,if a helmets gets more than a few scratches,it gets replaced. As far as jackets,boots,etc if they are still good,I keep using them.

lauralynne
03-12-2009, 07:30 PM
call my sponsor and have a new one shipped. :scared:

PhiSig1071
03-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Suit: Been down more times than Tater's wife at a swingers club. If a panel gets worn out or worn through, it gets fixed. If any of the Knox armor takes a serious impact, it gets replaced.

I agree with that one, my suit hasd a lot of "character".

marko138
03-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Replaced. I'm not taking the chance. It's my dome afterall. I ordered a new one post haste.

Amorok
03-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Sounds about right. So when people say something is "crash-tested", you mean that model or brand, right?

ETA: Awesome that I put two options up there for the same thing. I kick ass.

rogue
03-13-2009, 07:32 PM
If my head hits the pavement, I get a new one. However it may take me a little bit to get a new one...but it still gets replaced.

Mr Lefty
03-13-2009, 07:48 PM
you've seen my gear... my helmet didn't touch when I went down... but as I was claim'n my bike... I threw my helmet in on the tally too... got a new one... need to anyways... it was 4 years old...

the rest of my gear was rashed up a little... but still works... don't need new stuff... but I'll probably get some... but buying it has nothing to do with the wreck.. it's just cause I want more shit! :lol:

but yeah... if your head hits... get a new helmet.

gear... as long as you didn't fuck up any seams... and there's no holes that are gonna make it tear easy... then your good.

fnfalman
03-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Well, I'd buy a replacement helmet IF the helmet had actually contacted the ground. I had a crash where I slid and rolled for about fifty feet and the helmet never even touched the ground.

rogue
03-15-2009, 01:55 AM
Well, I'd buy a replacement helmet IF the helmet had actually contacted the ground. I had a crash where I slid and rolled for about fifty feet and the helmet never even touched the ground.

The last crash I was in I thought my head never hit the pavement either since I didn't feel it....then I saw the helmet... :panic:

:lol:

Dnyce
03-15-2009, 03:59 PM
i still use my helmet i crashed in, but it never hit the ground. soon as i find a new m10 rated helmet, i'll pick one up and retire this one, cuz its alil old