PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Honda

derf
03-12-2009, 07:04 PM
I would like to thank the engineer of my bike for making it so tight that I had to spend 3 hours taking it apart to change 4 spark plugs. Thank you Mr Nagimasho.
:rant:

JoshuaTree
03-12-2009, 07:09 PM
It only takes me about 4-5 minutes to change my sparkplugs (3), and that's because I use a torque wrench to tighten them and verify the factory-set gap. :shrug:

redflip

zed
03-12-2009, 07:35 PM
I would like to thank the engineer of my bike for making it so tight that I had to spend 3 hours taking it apart to change 4 spark plugs. Thank you Mr Nagimasho.
:rant:

have always said that if the engineers had to work on the stuff they design things would be a lot easier from then on.

Frostz28
03-12-2009, 07:35 PM
well don't feel bad the guy who designed my gix didn't do much better. Ive spent many nights making up new curse words while trying to perform the simplest tasks on my bike. However once its all said and done we need to take a step back and realize that if it wasn't so tightly packed and complicated they probably wouldn't be able to pack as much power into such a small package. So just go out and twist that throttle all the way and suddenly all the frustration will be gone and you will be saying "Im sorry I ever doubted you Mr. Nagimasho"

Cutty72
03-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Did you have to move the engine? They tell me I do on mine, haven't tried yet.

Trip
03-12-2009, 08:01 PM
honda is really good about making what should be easy things into really complicated things.

Dave
03-12-2009, 08:07 PM
honda is really good about making what should be easy things into really complicated things.

try installing headers on an NSX. eighteen hour job. ask me how i know :P

fatburg
03-12-2009, 09:43 PM
the FZ6 is about as fun

JoJoYZF
03-12-2009, 10:43 PM

You have to pull the engine to do it or just 18 hours of fighting with it?

Dave
03-12-2009, 10:56 PM
You have to pull the engine to do it or just 18 hours of fighting with it?

just about, subframe has to come out to include the front motor mount. major pain in the ass trying to unbolt the mount around the frame. and then when you go to put it back together the studs have spread out from the car's weight and you have to do your samson impression to pull the chassis back together enough to get the frame back in

derf
03-12-2009, 11:37 PM
just about, subframe has to come out to include the front motor mount. major pain in the ass trying to unbolt the mount around the frame. and then when you go to put it back together the studs have spread out from the car's weight and you have to do your samson impression to pull the chassis back together enough to get the frame back in

there is an easier way. Ask me how I know.

For my bike I had to pull the gas tank, then the airbox, then the ignition system, then some crappy rubber flap, then a weird piece of plastic, almost half the body pannels, then a my mirrors because I have to get the windscreen support out of the way. And then I realised that I can skip a few other pieces and just use 3 universal joints to get to the plugs. Problem was that the socket wouldn't pull the plug out so I had to use a set of surgical clamps to reach in and pull it out. Thank god i didn't loose the socket or I would have had to pull the engine out.

zed
03-13-2009, 12:17 AM
magnet on a stick works pretty good too.

derf
03-13-2009, 12:37 AM
I have one and cant find it

bmblebee
03-13-2009, 04:16 AM
there is an easier way. Ask me how I know.

For my bike I had to pull the gas tank, then the airbox, then the ignition system, then some crappy rubber flap, then a weird piece of plastic, almost half the body pannels, then a my mirrors because I have to get the windscreen support out of the way. And then I realised that I can skip a few other pieces and just use 3 universal joints to get to the plugs. Problem was that the socket wouldn't pull the plug out so I had to use a set of surgical clamps to reach in and pull it out. Thank god i didn't loose the socket or I would have had to pull the engine out.

You couldn't lower the radiator and come in from the front?

nhgunnut
03-13-2009, 07:01 AM

ou ain't Kidding!
My 07 - 08 project was a 77 Honda 750 Supersport with a bent intake Valve Couldn't get the head off without
A : Pulling the engine out of the frame
B: Cutting the the Upper Gusset on the frame
Went with B cut the Gusset and rewelded.
Just for the record though Victory Bikes are a pain as well I have pull the seat and then to yank the tank to swap plugs

marko138
03-13-2009, 08:57 AM
On my Zuk I had that shit down to a 15 minute job. I had to do it often...pop the tank and bang...out they come. 2 of them I could get to without removing the tank or anything.

MikeSP1
03-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I got valve adjustments on my VTX down to a 1 hour job. Starting at disassembly and finishing at ready to ride took less than 60 min. I've had to do it too many times. Pulling the seat, the tank, air cleaner, etc. Had a tool bag that only had the tools I needed to get the job done, to include the 18" long X 1/2" drive breaker bar for rotating the crank.

Rider
03-13-2009, 09:48 AM
My Kawi took well over an hour to change the plugs. It was a bitch getting around the frame and getting those coil packs out. The coil packs are about 4 inces long but the top of the cylinder head is only 3 inches from the frame.

I didn't put enough miles on the gixxer to have to change plugs.

Dave
03-13-2009, 09:54 AM
my daytona had some oil pressure issues when i rebuilt it. I have in car rod bearing swaps down in the forty minute range

MikeSP1
03-13-2009, 09:57 AM
my daytona had some oil pressure issues when i rebuilt it. I have in car rod bearing swaps down in the forty minute range

wow, thats quick

derf
03-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Well I got the bike all nice and purty and back together, and it ran great after a few starting attempts (filling the float bowls).

BNut then it was running like poop, it was idling at less than 1k, so i turn the idle adjust screw an it comes right off in my hand. so back to the shop and the tank came back off so i could figure out were it goes,

101lifts2
03-29-2009, 08:29 PM

Warranty only pays 2.3...ur slow. LOL