PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Kit?

jtemple
03-13-2009, 07:36 PM
I lost a fairing bolt and don't want to ride around with my plastics buzzing around, damaging who knows what. I figured rather than ordering just one bolt, I'd just stock up on some of that commonly misplaced junk. Where can I get something like that? OEM, preferably.

jtemple
03-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Anyone ever try BikeBolts.com?

Cutty72
03-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Never heard of it.

Try going to a hardware store. Many times the bolts are just common metric threaded

jtemple
03-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I looked around a little. It looks like BikeBolts has some customer service issues. I don't want to scour around for bolts. What I want to do is get an all-in-one kit for my bike, that includes all fairing bolts, drain plug bolts, etc. Junk you take off a lot, and might lose somewhere. I'd like to keep spares around. I want the little plastic washers on the fairing bolts, too.

Cutty72
03-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Talk to a local dealership, or if you have an independant bike shop local check there. Probalby the only places you will find an all inclusive kit.

azoomm
03-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Never heard of it.

Try going to a hardware store. Many times the bolts are just common metric threaded

Yup. I go with an old skool hardware store. Preferably with one that smells like turpentine and moth balls... they sell everything from Dickies to PVC and every bolt/nail/washer/coupling ever seen. AND, the guy in the back is named Norman.

:dthumb:

jtemple
03-14-2009, 01:40 AM
I did some more digging on BikeBolts.com. It looked like the bad press was just from one or two people. I went ahead and ordered a full fairing bolt kit for around $42 shipped. (use the 4forum20 coupon code for 20% off). Tomorrow, I'll see if the dealer has the one bolt I lost, and I'll use the BikeBolts kit for spares.

zed
03-14-2009, 01:43 AM
problem with getting bolts from a hardware store is they rust. at least the ones I have gotten before.

azoomm
03-14-2009, 08:46 AM
I did some more digging on BikeBolts.com. It looked like the bad press was just from one or two people. I went ahead and ordered a full fairing bolt kit for around $42 shipped. (use the 4forum20 coupon code for 20% off). Tomorrow, I'll see if the dealer has the one bolt I lost, and I'll use the BikeBolts kit for spares.

Why did you ask us?

Corey
03-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Why did you ask us?

A test, and we have failed. CURSE THE GODS!!one!

tommymac
03-14-2009, 09:22 AM
A test, and we have failed. CURSE THE GODS!!one!

I have had enough failures latley hglad i sat this one out :lol:

I do thing having a bolt kit is a good idea since stuff does sometimes fall off and disappear on ya.

Tom

jtemple
03-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Why did you ask us?Because that's what forums are for. Sharing knowledge.

jtemple
03-14-2009, 09:25 AM
I have had enough failures latley hglad i sat this one out :lol:

I do thing having a bolt kit is a good idea since stuff does sometimes fall off and disappear on ya.

TomI'm probably going to hit the dealer up for oil/coolant drain plugs and a filler cap, too. Losing something is a lot less frustrating if you have a spare sitting on the shelf.

tommymac
03-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Because that's what forums are for. Sharing knowledge.

i thought it was for killing time at work :lol:

I don tknow if you ewould need the other plugs you listed, only one I have hear dof loosing is the oil drain plug and even then that was on track bikes that werent safety wired.

i have lost various fairring bolts and the worst was loosing a brake caliper bolt. I may take my set of bolts with me to the twf rally too just in case.

tom

azoomm
03-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Because that's what forums are for. Sharing knowledge.

:lol:

I was with Tommy.

But, seriously... I'm ever curious of threads like these where someone asks a question and ignores the answers. That's all.:idk:

jtemple
03-14-2009, 03:02 PM
Back from the sucktastic dealer. It's a 1-week wait for a stinkin fairing bolt.

What answers am I ignoring? The hardware store solution? It's not out of the question; I just haven't had time to get there yet. My chances are slim, it's one of the big fairing bolts with the goofy shaped heads.

tommymac
03-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Back from the sucktastic dealer. It's a 1-week wait for a stinkin fairing bolt.

What answers am I ignoring?

how much thyey overcharge you for?

Tom

Porkchop
03-14-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the code.... i was just on BikerBolts last night! The dude that sold me my bike lost about half of the side fairing screws... and about 90% of the tail screws. :panic: He basically had store bought self tapping screws on. :panic:

I am just going to get the complete set and redo the whole bike!

jtemple
03-14-2009, 11:32 PM
how much thyey overcharge you for?

TomOh, it's crazy. $3 a bolt for the big ones, $2 for the smaller ones, $2 each for the nylon washers, $2 for each plastic rivet. I'd go broke buying a kit from them! I bought a few from them. The rest of my spare parts kit is coming from BikeBolts. I got a kit to replace every bodywork fastener on the bike for $42.

jtemple
03-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the code.... i was just on BikerBolts last night! The dude that sold me my bike lost about half of the side fairing screws... and about 90% of the tail screws. :panic: He basically had store bought self tapping screws on. :panic:

I am just going to get the complete set and redo the whole bike!I'd choke that fucking mechanic if he did that to my bike. Those idiots would be replacing all the lost stuff on their dime, and more than that if their stupid self-tapping screw idea boogered up any of my threads. That's why nobody wrenches on my bike except me.

Porkchop
03-15-2009, 05:20 AM
I'd choke that fucking mechanic if he did that to my bike. Those idiots would be replacing all the lost stuff on their dime, and more than that if their stupid self-tapping screw idea boogered up any of my threads. That's why nobody wrenches on my bike except me.

The original owner was just some young guy, my age, that didnt do much of any maintinance or upkeep.

Thats why most of my current wrenching is just combing over small stuff.

jtemple
03-18-2009, 03:01 PM
My bolt kit came in from BikeBolts.com. It's different than OEM, but I don't see why this stuff wouldn't work. For the goofy shaped fairing bolts, you use a regular one with a nylon spacer. I think they'll work just fine. I only have one bolt to replace right now and it's one of the spacer kind. I'll let you know how it goes.

jtemple
03-25-2009, 08:52 PM
So far, I'm only using one bolt, and it works just fine. It isn't identical to OEM, but, for the price, it gets the job done.