PDA

View Full Version : So, I bought my first bike, what gear do I need?

Fastguy
03-13-2009, 10:02 PM
I read through a lot of this section of the forum and see a lot of gear references. What would you guys (and girls) suggest for a a typical new rider on an older cruiser.

Gratuitous bike pic (yes, its muddy)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/saltysearay/cars/003.jpg

zed
03-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Welcome

helmet
gloves
boots
leather jacket/mesh jacket
over pants/chaps

you don't have to spend a fortune, buy the best you can afford.

derf
03-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Get a good fitting helmet for starters. Then a jacket, gloves, and over the ankle boots and you should be fine.

Others will say add pants to that, but unless you have the $$$ jeans will do. Just realize this, you will crash. No kidding, ask anyone it's gonna happen, and be ready for it.

Leather is better than textile, but in the end some protection is better thanno protection.

Fastguy
03-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Welcome

helmet
gloves
boots
leather jacket/mesh jacket
over pants/chaps

you don't have to spend a fortune, buy the best you can afford.

Ok, I have seen that referenced a lot, what's a mesh jacket?

Mrs. Colleen
03-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I ride a sportbike so I am sure my opinion on gear is different than what the cruiser guys will tell you...so instead of putting in my opinion I am just saying hi. :D :welcome:

Although...regardless of the bike...please wear a good helmet. :angel:

zed
03-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Ok, I have seen that referenced a lot, what's a mesh jacket?

it's a textile jacket that is mesh. very breathable. this one isn't the only one out there but pretty good.

http://www.motosport.com/street/product/JOE-ROCKET-PHOENIX-50-JACKET/?psreferrer=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.google.com%252F products%253Fq%257Cequalto%257Cjoe%2Brocket%2Bmesh %257Camp%257Coe%257Cequalto%257Cutf-8%257Camp%257Crls%257Cequalto%257Corg.mozilla%253A en-US%253Aofficial%257Camp%257Cclient%257Cequalto%257 Cfirefox-a%257Camp%257Cum%257Cequalto%257C1%257Camp%257Cie% 257Cequalto%257CUTF-8%257Camp%257Cei%257Cequalto%257CpBi7Sb7QB4XEMoi0u bYI%257Camp%257Csa%257Cequalto%257CX%257Camp%257Co i%257Cequalto%257Cproduct_result_group%257Camp%257 Cresnum%257Cequalto%257C1%257Camp%257Cct%257Cequal to%257Ctitle&catalogId=110674&CAWELAID=291259945&segment=badger-street

GSXRGirl
03-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Fastguy

try this section for gear
http://www.twowheelfix.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19

MikeSP1
03-13-2009, 10:50 PM
You'll need a good fitting helmet, I'd suggest a full face. If you crash in a half-helmet, then what's gonna protect your chin from the pavement? Also a good set of riding gloves, a jacket, and over the ankle boots. In terms of protection, a leather jacket is gonna be the best, followed by textile, with mesh offering little more protection than a hoodie.

I ride both a big(ger) cruiser and a big sportbike and I ride the same gear for both around town. You will crash, I'm not trying to condemn you to anything. It's just the nature of learning how to ride, everyone on this board has crashed at some point. It's gonna happen, so be prepared for when it does.

All that aside, when you're ready get that old cruiser out be safe and most of all, have fun. Get out and meet new people.

GSXRGirl
03-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Only you will know what is good for you.

I suggest helmet, jacket, gloves and boots

Fastguy
03-13-2009, 10:54 PM
I have a pretty nice Simpson helmet and a few HJC helmets, heavy leather jacket, and high top Timberlands I usually wear as well as leather gloves. I already got the crashing part taken care of. :) Used to ride years ago, oddly enough, an 81 Maxim, and flipped it.
I didn't know if you guys suggest buying specific riding gloves and boots as opposed to general purpose gloves and boots.

Cutty72
03-13-2009, 10:56 PM
I have a pretty nice Simpson helmet and a few HJC helmets, heavy leather jacket, and high top Timberlands I usually wear as well as leather gloves. I already got the crashing part taken care of. :) Used to ride years ago, oddly enough, an 81 Maxim, and flipped it.
I didn't know if you guys suggest buying specific riding gloves and boots as opposed to general purpose gloves and boots.

For gloves, yes. They will give you better feel for the controls than a work type leather glove. Also, they are usually ventilated so your hands will stay cooler.

As for the boots, your timberlands will work.

MikeSP1
03-13-2009, 10:59 PM
For boots, it really doesn't matter, as long as they go over you ankles. For gloves, those that are designed for riding will be more comfortable to wear than regular work gloves. Riding gloves are designed with air vents to keep you hands from sweating, armor to protect your hands from the crash, and are more likely to actually stay on you hand than work gloves.

Fastguy
03-13-2009, 11:00 PM
You'll need a good fitting helmet, I'd suggest a full face. If you crash in a half-helmet, then what's gonna protect your chin from the pavement? .

Definitely full face, my buddy laid his bike down and slid a LONG ways and the helmet burned all the way through. If it was skull cap, he's be missing half his face. As far as gloves, I have regular Simpson driving gloves but I am guessing they would burn through instantly in a crash.

rogue
03-14-2009, 03:47 AM
Depends upon the crash and/or landing. I've went down in a low speed low side in Olympia gel palm gloves with good knuckle protection and they tore at the seems (weren't made well, IMO). I slid/rolled/tumbled about 200 feet in MX gloves and they didn't even look like they even a part of the crash. It all comes down to how well they're made, just like anything else. I do not, however, suggest wearing MX gloves on a motorcycle. I do in the summer, but that's my choice. I have problems finding gloves that fit well, provide decent protection and still be able to feel the controls. But then...I have issues finding ANY gear that fits properly. :rolleyes:

You asked earlier about mesh. If you're leaning toward mesh, especially during the summer, I suggest you look at how tight the weave is. Some mesh has a looser weave which could mean easier to rip apart if you do crash. The crash I had where I slid about 200 feet, I was wearing a mesh and it held up well enough for me to continue riding in it, although some people would probably chunk it and get another. Someone's opinion who I trust told me mine was good enough to continue riding it so I do. There's a reason alot of people call them one time slides...because they usually don't last but the one crash. A jacket should also fit snug. You don't want a loose fitting jacket that stands a chance of riding up during a slide. Road rash is a bitch.

I think most of us started out wearing some sort of boot that at least came to or a little over the ankle, then later moved on to a more motorcycle specific boot.

Pants: I'd love to find a pair of leather pants I can wear that fit properly with all the protection where it's supposed to be but it's impossible at my short stature. I'd prefer to wear leather or even some textile overpants...but that's not going to happen. So I wear jeans. However, I do suggest some overpants over if jeans, if nothing else. Or, if you can afford it eventually, maybe some draggin' jeans, although I've heard mixed reviews with them.

Helmet: Full face - where what fits well. Every brand and even their models seem to fit different according to head shape so be sure to try them on. They should also fit snug...almost tight...when they're new. The pads are extremely stiff when new and after a while of wearing the helmet will fit comfortably and still good. If it's too big, it can pop off your head if/when you go down. Look for the DOT and SNELL approved stickers on the back of the helmet.

Until you know your sizing in gear, it's recommended that you try on gear before purchase. In some places, it's cheaper to purchase gear online so if you go that route, make sure you check out their return policies. Some stores have excellent return policies, some have restocking fees, etc.

Other than that, welcome to the biking community, have fun, ride smart, and watch out for those damn cagers! :D

Keep the rubber side down. :dthumb:

Evadd
03-14-2009, 06:41 PM
i'm suprised by some of the responses here.

jeans are sufficient only if you enjoy the excruciating pain of having hundreds of tiny pieces of them scrubbed out of raw flesh in the ER. if you're lucky, you'll be unconscious. if you're not, the 4mg of morphine you'll get will do little to make you happy with your decision to not protect your legs.

Timberlands (or any other similar boot) are sufficient only if you don't mind having your ankle shattered. yes, the leather will protect from most of the rash, but as you tumble down the pavement for 4 seconds, remember you'll be limping for months (if not permanently).

mesh jackets are the absolute bare minimum - i don't recommend them, and haven't worn one in several years. even in summertime in Miami, i rode in ventilated leather. i would trust myself in modern moto-specific textiles, as they are made pretty well.

we all know someone who'll say "i crashed in jeans and sneakers and i was fine!" no, you were an idiot who got lucky. next time you might not be. it's so not worth the risk.

story of a friend of mine on another forum i help admin:

*grab a drink, this is a long one

It was September 8th, 2000 and I was leaving the house that afternoon for work. It was a cloudy day with slight rain showers in the forcast. I left my house and took the route I always do, living in the sticks as I do, there is only one road that leads you to the main highway. This road is littered with blind hills, sharp curves, no shoulders, no painted lines and an unbelievablely high 55 mph speed limit but changes to 45 as you get closer to the main stetch in town and then down to 30. I was barely 1.5 miles from my home, I'm not certain exactly how fast I was going but I had just left a stop sign and made a left onto the road as I reached an incline. As I travelled up the hill, seemingly in the blink of an eye, I saw a full size, blue pick up truck heading right towards me on my side of the road. I leaned hard right and got to the edge of the road as fast as I could without heading off into some trees but I don't recall hitting the brakes (keep in mind this happened literally within seconds but it was a flash to me) the truck just kept coming. I couldn't see who was driving and I know I was fixating on the truck. *dumb* It impacted the left side of my bike, shoulder and leg with it's left side. I was later told I hit the truck's door and box area. I was thrown like I was hit by a linebacker (only bigger) getting me out of bounds. I went even further right and over my handlebars head first. I remember every split second of this: I saw grass as I flew face down and head first (think Superman but not as graceful) I hit the ground head first on the right side of my head. I immediately pulled my arms in as I went tumbling, like a kid rolling down a hill like a log, and I saw grass, sky, grass, sky, grass, sky quite a few times until I stopped tumbling. At this point I'm on my back like I'm laying on the ground getting a sun tan or something. Somehow, my head is towards the road and my feet are facing a field.

*side note:* The whole road is farm fields and homes, lined with thick brush, trees and/or barbed wire. My accident happened on the ONLY 50 yards of wide open field for miles! Nothing to hit but the ground itself, *whew*

I sat up, dizzy, dazed and confused as only those in an accident like this can comprehend. I looked at my feet. My sneakers were gone (should've had boots!) having flung off in the tumble. My left foot was bleeding a bit. My jeans were torn here and there but I later learned most of the tears occurred as my bones were poking out in the tumble shreading and cutting as I rolled. I didn't see my left foot... it's was kinda behind me only my left leg was ahead of me (!) I grabbed my pant leg and pulled my foot in front where it belonged (remember, dazed and confused at this point) only to find it wouldn't point up, it just flopped over. I tired to slightly lift my leg but only part of it moved, the rest stayed laying on the ground. Immediate and audible, "Aw SH*T!" No pain really, just tingles and shaking. I looked over at my bike which was to my right behind my shoulder quite a ways away. It was on it's right side, the left sticking up, all I saw was some steam and broken plastics though my backpack and books were still stuffed under the cargo net on the passenger part of the seat. Another "Aw SH*T" was spoken out loud.<br>I checked my arms, hands and right leg. Sorta numb and buzzing feeling and my left shoulder didn't move too well but nothing else apperas broken. I removed my heavily scuffed up gloves to find my hands as fine as when I had slipped into them a few mintues before. I took off my now dirty and grass clipping covered glasses and my helmet. I noticed the visor was missing off of it and it was cracked and scratched up. Being kinda pissed at this point I threw it in anger. It was a only 8 days before I was planning to get married, a nice outdoor reception at our house which we had been working towards for weeks if not months. Immediately after throwing my helmet I hear screaming, "Don't move! Don't move! Don't get up!!" Knowing there was no way I was getting up I stayed there while trying to look behind me at who's yelling. I see a lady running towards me FAST and barefoot. Must be the person who hit me I think to myself. she comes over and starts asking the normal stuff, "Are you OK?" Not really. "Do you know where you are?" Up shit creek I reply. "Do you know WHO you are?" Yep. She tells me she heard the noise and the crash and came running out. I ask her if she was driving the blue truck that hit me (still confused) she tells me she lives right across the road with her husband and their both volunteer EMTs and to stay still. I ask where the truck is. She didn't know. No skids marks and no truck. Just me laying in a bloody heap in a field. She told me her husband was calling 911 and was coming over. After some time there was a heap of local volunteers hanging over me cutting off my clothes. I had to beg them to take off my leather coat (not cut it off). It did it's job and I didn't want it all cut up. After some begging, they helped me get it off. It seemed like everyone looked white as ghosts. I tried to make a few jokes about having on clean underwear - as that's all I was wearing it this point, but no one smiled. I asked how bad it was and everyone looked at what seemed to be the head guy in charge and he just said, "Not good." I was bleeding badly and losing blood fast. The ambulance showed up as did the girl that hit me. She hopped out and was screaming asking if I was dead. I heard one guy tell her to get back and just then the local sheriff showed up. They loaded me into the ambulance and I was off to the hospital. It took awhile (seemed forever) to get into surgury. By that point it was late on a Friday night and they were waiting for the doctor to show up. I was in tons of pain by then and bitting down on my own teeth so I wouldn't scream out loud. I had to pee something terrible and I asked for something to pee into. Next thing you know this dude comes over with a tube and a bag. "Oh SH*T!" Yep, insertion time. Owww. But I was able to relieve my over bloated bladder at this point. Ahhhhhh. Off to x-rays. They took tons. I remember being terribly thirsty and practically pleading for some water. Nope. I asked everyone I saw, finally someone came in and gave me some water through a straw and told me not to tell. No problem, THANKS!

The doctor (MY HERO) showed up. Introduced himself and the anesthesiologist (however it's spelled) to me, I was like, "Yeah, fine. Hi how are ya, whatever, just knock me out now it hurts!" Off I went and woke up what seemed like seconds later in the ICU ward with my body in this jungle gym of ropes, pullies and metal tubes. It was about 3AM and my doctor, in his 60s was standing over me. I asked him if I'd make it to my wedding. When is it, he asks. September 16th I reply. What year has asks. Are your serious??, I ask. He was. It was bad and he went on to tell me all about it. I would be in the hospital for months possibly longer (got out in 2 months) and that I may never walk again, (I can walk now). Final tally, left leg: multiple compound fractures of the femur AND the tibia and fibula. Right leg, broken knee cap. Left arm/hand, tons of nerve damage leaving it next to useless for weeks. Still lingering effects to this day. Right arm/hand, just fine.

I went through pain, agony, nightmares, tube feedings through my neck (long story there), and other awful things like nurses toileting me in my bed, etc for weeks while I was in ICU. I moved onto the "step down" unit 2 weeks later which was more of the same but without the immediate care they offer in ICU. Two weeks after that I was onto the rehab floor and had a huge room all to myself that resembled a small hotel room. this wouldbe my home for another 5 weeks or so. I had to learn to walk again after getting out of a wheelchair, shower myself and use a toilet all alone (relief!) all over again. I also worked with someone to retrain my messed up left arm, the very one I use to write with too, bummer. Once home I was still on home therapy with people coming to my home to care for me and help me do exercises and stuff. From there I started going to the hospital on my own to do my treatments there. I lost my job as I couldn't return to it in my condition. Got married three months later to the day of the original one and it was wonderful.

Found out the girl who commited the hit and run didn't get anything, no ticket, no nothing..... she knew the bastard local cop who let her go. His response to my wife who asked how he could do such a thing, "She was shook up. She didn't mean to leave, she was just scared badly so I let her off." I found out that my bleeding was so bad that had those two people not come out of thier house when they did, I'd have bled to death in the field within 10-15 minutes. The girl showed back up about 20 minutes later. I thank God everyay those people were home and were EMTs who knew what to do. I'm left with a paralized left foot and big brace on my leg. About a dozen screws and some plates holding my bones together on the left leg. Two screws in right patella. Definately will need two knee replacements down the road. That brings me to here. I'm back in school working on getting a job that I like (I was getting burned out at my old job). My injuries allowed me some much needed time to spend all day everyday with my daughter here at home. I also got to do this website, which keeps me busy and has allowed me to stay involved in a sport I love as well as given me incentive to get on a bike again.

Mr Lefty
03-14-2009, 07:22 PM

jeans are sufficient only if you enjoy the excruciating pain of having hundreds of tiny pieces of them scrubbed out of raw flesh in the ER. if you're lucky, you'll be unconscious. if you're not, the 4mg of morphine you'll get will do little to make you happy with your decision to not protect your legs.

Timberlands (or any other similar boot) are sufficient only if you don't mind having your ankle shattered. yes, the leather will protect from most of the rash, but as you tumble down the pavement for 4 seconds, remember you'll be limping for months (if not permanently).

mesh jackets are the absolute bare minimum - i don't recommend them, and haven't worn one in several years. even in summertime in Miami, i rode in ventilated leather. i would trust myself in modern moto-specific textiles, as they are made pretty well.

we all know someone who'll say "i crashed in jeans and sneakers and i was fine!" no, you were an idiot who got lucky. next time you might not be. it's so not worth the risk.

yes... full motorcycle gear is much better... any safety equipment regardless of it's nature is gonna be better at what it was designed for than it's day to day counterpart.

that being said... the truth is not everyone is gonna wear a full leather suit. it's too inconvenient... too expensive... and in many places... too hot. so we all sacrifices in safety for convenience, price, and comfort.

am I saying Jeans are fine for all types of riding... no. but I wear jeans when I ride in town. I know... if I go down they're gonna shred and tear extremely quickly... but it's a choice I'm comfortable with... and I ride accordingly. I also have Alpine Star knee Armor that I wear under my jeans to protect from impacts... so really all I'll be getting is rash and embarrassment when I have a scar on my ass cheek...

if I'm out riding... just to ride... I'll throw on my textile or leather pants with armor under. but for in town... jeans are enough for me.

as for boots... again motorcycle boots with ankle protection will be better... and will survive a more serious crash... but any over the ankle boot will be better than a pair of puma running shoes... if you do go with something not motorcycle specific... I'd suggest getting something with a thinsulate liner (to keep your feet warm in the winter) and a steel toe. just more protection.

I personally wear my Alpine Star SMX4 boots 90% of the time I ride... with the 10% being when I'm riding to work in which i wear my combat boots...

I ALWAYS wear my leather Alpine Star jacket... Full face helmet... and full gauntlet(meaning past the wrist) gloves... again Alpine Star GP Pro's... (Alpine star just fits me well... not pushing them... but they're a great company)

again... I'm not saying this is gonna be as good as motorcycle specific stuff... but it's better than a shorts and flip flops...

and it seems as though when talking to new riders... it's easier to sell them on buying a little bit of gear.. that will at least offer SOME protection... then telling them to buy full gear. in my experience... they look at the price for full gear and get turned off... yrmv...

personally I think if they're a first time motorcycle rider... the motorcycle purchase should automatically include a helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. given as a single price with everything added in.

but then again... I don't see why anyone would not wear a helmet... yet people argue against that every day

zed
03-14-2009, 07:47 PM

that's what I was wearing, Timberland steel toed work boots. 3 years later and I'm still limping around, cold days are worse.

marko138
03-15-2009, 12:33 PM

I agree 1000%.

Fastguy
03-15-2009, 11:11 PM

So what do motorcycle specific boots do, provide more ankle support? It seems that anything you do to stiffen the ankle would just cause a leg break at the top of the boot.

zed
03-15-2009, 11:38 PM
So what do motorcycle specific boots do, provide more ankle support? It seems that anything you do to stiffen the ankle would just cause a leg break at the top of the boot.

I think I'd rather had my leg broke than my ankles screwed up. I've got a piece of bone floating in my left ankle and the other one was twisted good enough that it still hurts.

Mr Lefty
03-16-2009, 09:02 AM

your ankle is a joint... it's gonna be more prone to injury than a bone... bones are actually pretty strong for the most part... ankles and wrists have a lot of other things that can go wrong also... ligaments, tendons or fluid in the joints... ect...

AFAIK... it takes longer for a broken ankle to heal than a broken leg too... and has much longer recovery time... the "splinting" process... ie pins and shit... isn't as easy either...

here's a decent selection of boots... it's sorted by type... but you can go back and browse by brand, type, and price I believe

http://www.newenough.com/boots/all_types/

Evadd
03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
yes, they provide more support and come up fairly high on the shin. that does a couple things: it spreads out the impact over a larger surface, which decreases the chance of allowing a break, and the stress is carried over to some larger, stronger bones that are less prone to breaking as was mentioned. when you tumble down the road, your extremities will likely be banging the ground with some serious force.

if you're worried about causing different fractures, picture it this way: lie on the pavement, and lift your leg two feet in the air. now, slam your bare ankle to the ground as hard as you can on its side. yeah, i don't want to either. now, put on a pair of the boots i have pictured below and do it again - you probably won't even feel any discomfort at all.

also, the type of protection the offer will help do things that ordinary boots don't: they usually come with a limited range of motion, so there is less twisting and over-extension or over-flexion of the ankle joint. in addition, they can help prevent or minimize crushing injuries b/c they have such stronger lateral support.

these are what i wear most often. see the lateral support brace and the plates in the back? they allow enough flexion/extension for walking, but limit it beyond natural movement. also, they allow nearly no lateral torsion which will sto you from "twisting" your ankle. they also help prevent a crushing injury, as does the front shin guard.

Fastguy
03-16-2009, 08:14 PM
lie on the pavement, and lift your leg two feet in the air. now, slam your bare ankle to the ground as hard as you can on its side. yeah, .

Ok, hold on, brb

:)

(guess I'm going gear shopping soon)

'73 H1 Triple
03-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I purchased a pair of A* ( AlpineStars ) SMX-4 boots in the late fall for half price ( $100). I finally got to wear them riding last weekend for a 110 mile ride. Extremely comfortable and no breakin required. I literally forgot I was wearing full motorcycle boots.

http://www.alpinestars.com/SMX_4_Boot/pd/np/111/p/222306.html

( mine are all black )

Jeff

Fastguy
03-16-2009, 10:22 PM
( mine are all black )

Jeff

I'd hope so, the blue would make you look like a smurfing smurfbag on your bike. :)

HokieDNA01
03-17-2009, 02:22 AM
Boots and pants are very important. I have had 2 crashes on my bike and the only injury I have is my big toe. I was wearing armored riding boots similar to the ones shown in this thread and still hurt my toe (bent it backward so hard that it still hurts 3 years later). I think I would have broken my foot severely without the boots. I also slid on my butt for a ways and didn't have a mark/bruise on me with my leather/armored pants. If you don't want to wear full leather pants (and chaps leave your most vulnerable ASSets exposed) maybe look into some riding jeans such as Draggin Jeans or Icon Jeans. They are reinforced however they do not have armor to protect from impact.

Here are some links to the jeans....and you can get armor undersuits if you like the jeans look...

http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/index.htm

http://www.rideicon.com/product_group.jsp?category=1976

Mr Lefty
03-17-2009, 07:49 AM
I purchased a pair of A* ( AlpineStars ) SMX-4 boots in the late fall for half price ( $100). I finally got to wear them riding last weekend for a 110 mile ride. Extremely comfortable and no breakin required. I literally forgot I was wearing full motorcycle boots.

http://www.alpinestars.com/SMX_4_Boot/pd/np/111/p/222306.html

( mine are all black )

Jeff

same boots I have... I've gone down in mine... sprained my ankle pretty bad... had I not been wearing the boots... I'd have a pretty fucked up ankle... and probably some hardware holding it together.

marko138
03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I have the SMX-3...I crashed in them last fall. No bubbles no troubles. Walked away...actually rode away. Fuck that crash.

'73 H1 Triple
03-17-2009, 07:53 PM
I'd hope so, the blue would make you look like a smurfing smurfbag on your bike. :)

I did the smurf thing back in the 80s with my blue CJ-7 with white hardtop :cool:

Fastguy
03-17-2009, 10:12 PM
I work 3 miles from my house, all residential neighborhoods. I work a shirt/tie type job so I am most likely looking for stuff I can wear over my office clothes and then change shoes at work.

zed
03-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I work 3 miles from my house, all residential neighborhoods. I work a shirt/tie type job so I am most likely looking for stuff I can wear over my office clothes and then change shoes at work.

there are over pants but you could end up pretty wrinkled by the time you get to work.

don't think that because you don't have to ride very far you are going to be safe. it usually ends up pretty close to home where a "local" driver pulls out in front of you.

Fastguy
03-17-2009, 10:51 PM
there are over pants but you could end up pretty wrinkled by the time you get to work.

don't think that because you don't have to ride very far you are going to be safe. it usually ends up pretty close to home where a "local" driver pulls out in front of you.

That's what I figured, even though its a short ride, its full of unbridled douchebaggery to the nth degree. What I was getting at it that its low speed, 20-35 mph the whole way so I didn't know of some gear is more high speed oriented. I guess that settles it, I'm not wearing pants to work any more. Stay tuned for the "I just got fired for not wearing pants to work" thread.

Evadd
03-19-2009, 01:36 PM
That's what I figured, even though its a short ride, its full of unbridled douchebaggery to the nth degree. What I was getting at it that its low speed, 20-35 mph the whole way so I didn't know of some gear is more high speed oriented. I guess that settles it, I'm not wearing pants to work any more. Stay tuned for the "I just got fired for not wearing pants to work" thread.
:panic: aaaaagggghhhh...mental image!

i picked up a pair of Alpinestars Twin pants (discontinued, so i got them for $150) which basically look like leather jeans with some armor in the knee on the inside. they're straight-legged, not cut like track pants. they fit over my work pants and when i arrive, my work pants aren't wrinkled at all. good stuff. sometimes i'll just fold my work clothes, put them in my backpack, and change when i'm at work.

Mr Lefty
03-19-2009, 01:44 PM
I have a* street cargo pants.. They seem as though they are meant to be overpants. Ill throw them over my uniform... Bit I took the foam armor out... And got a*knee and shin guards.

HokieDNA01
03-19-2009, 08:24 PM
if you get the overpants with full length zippers down the sides I dont think your pants will get too wrinkled. At least mine don't.

Mr Lefty
03-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I say fuck it go no pants... After all... You don't live anywhere near me... And might help motorcycle awareness

HokieDNA01
03-20-2009, 03:45 PM
That reminds me of this british commercial...HAHAH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-yzKvkysWg

Particle Man
03-20-2009, 05:03 PM
how much are you looking to spend? :)

Mrs. Colleen
03-20-2009, 06:50 PM

:iagree: During the MSF course I remember them drilling into our heads that even driveways are "intersections."