PDA

View Full Version : Soumy helmets

Yamerhaw
03-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Just bought one, what do you guys think of these, i think its a Spec 1? How do they fit compared to Shoei/Arai?

edit: yeah i know i mispelled the name, i know how to spell it,just typo

azoomm
03-13-2009, 11:42 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE my Suomy's

Fit close to a Quantum/Astral Arai... kind of.

The shells are VERY similar. But, what I have found the less expensive Suomy's have better venting, and the shield is easier to change - Vandal is my shell of choice. VERY light weight - and the shield is held on with a Dzus type bolt.

Yamerhaw
03-13-2009, 11:45 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE my Suomy's

Fit close to a Quantum/Astral Arai... kind of.

The shells are VERY similar. But, what I have found the less expensive Suomy's have better venting, and the shield is easier to change - Vandal is my shell of choice. VERY light weight - and the shield is held on with a Dzus type bolt.

uh oh, i for sure dont have an Arai shaped head

Over200
03-13-2009, 11:51 PM
I have the Extreme Gambler and I'll tell you Most other helmets just don't compare the way it feels on your head...Although i will say changing the visor isn't so user friendly!!..But that is a small pain to deal with in comparison to the Pro's of the Helmet....On a side note though I must say my favorite is my AGV Stealth...Love the Look and Feel!!!

azoomm
03-13-2009, 11:55 PM

Hard to explain - something that has to be tried on. It is the first helmet I've owned that I've actually sworn off other brands because of it. The Spec's have the cover on the side of the visor that needs to be popped off to change... not difficult, but freaky.

Mine fit me around the crown like a ball cap... PERFECT fit and feel. And, it closes around your face. I don't know another way to say it.

Yamerhaw
03-14-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm a die hard Shoei man, but looking forward to getting this and trying it out

fnfalman
03-14-2009, 01:37 AM
I have yet to see any helmet other than the Shark that is the equivalence of Shoei or Arai.

marko138
03-14-2009, 10:39 AM
Love Suomy. I won't wear anything else.

Sanchez
03-14-2009, 02:55 PM

Arai actually has two shapes. There's one for rounder heads like mine, and there's one for more oval shaped heads. Measuring your head helps, too. I thought I was an L, but a tape measure showed I'm actually an M, and sure enough my medium Corsair fits like a glove.

My ex GF has a Suomy Extreme, and the shield release mechanism made me want to hurl it against a wall. It takes a tool to release the side covers, and getting them back on is a son-of-a-bitch.

fnfalman
03-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Arai actually has two shapes. There's one for rounder heads like mine, and there's one for more oval shaped heads. Measuring your head helps, too. I thought I was an L, but a tape measure showed I'm actually an M, and sure enough my medium Corsair fits like a glove.

My ex GF has a Suomy Extreme, and the shield release mechanism made me want to hurl it against a wall. It takes a tool to release the side covers, and getting them back on is a son-of-a-bitch.

Arai has helmets for at least four head shapes. The Corsair fits differently from the Quantum and the Quantum fits differently from the Vector which fits differently from the Profile.

Between the Nolan, the AGV and the Vemar, I'm done with Eye-tie helmets, at least for serious hauling ass use anyway.

Sixxxxer
03-15-2009, 02:28 PM
My first Helmet was a Suomy...Ventura. I bought a size to small but it was still a good lid...Quieter than my Scorpion but the Visor Fogged up worse. So its a give and take.

marko138
03-16-2009, 08:21 AM
My first Helmet was a Suomy...Ventura. I bought a size to small but it was still a good lid...Quieter than my Scorpion but the Visor Fogged up worse. So its a give and take.
My first Suomy was a Ventura too. Shield never fogged on me. But it did fly open at speed if you turned your head. That annoyed me. But it was a very comfortable lid.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/markgraves138/IMG_4290.jpg

Yamerhaw
03-21-2009, 06:30 PM
sorry, its not a spec 1 , its a Gunwind

Sixxxxer
03-21-2009, 07:49 PM
My first Suomy was a Ventura too. Shield never fogged on me. But it did fly open at speed if you turned your head. That annoyed me. But it was a very comfortable lid.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m95/markgraves138/IMG_4290.jpg

You had a Diff Visor so maybe thats why??? Mine was just clear...Same Style Suomy as Mine except I had Black and Silver not Blue....Def a Good Lid.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v227/Braindamaged0386/DSC04793.jpg

Amber Lamps
03-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Suomy is one company I've stayed away from. Not that their products are inferior or anything,I just don't typically like their graphics and for the money,why not a Shark or high-end Arai? You typically can't walk in to a shop and pick up a visor. I've also heard that the shield change is fucking murder and it flips open at speed.

Sixxxxer
03-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Sheild CHange was a PITA Ill give you that...never had The visor flip open during High speed runs though...And I like some of there Graphics.

Amber Lamps
03-21-2009, 08:54 PM
Sheild CHange was a PITA Ill give you that...never had The visor flip open during High speed runs though...And I like some of there Graphics.

Oh graphics are definitely a matter of taste for sure!

Sixxxxer
03-21-2009, 08:58 PM
Def...Every compaany has some Funky Graphics...Soem like them others dont.

marko138
03-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Thats what I love about them...the graphics. The shield change on the Spec 1R's are tough...time consuming. But on the Vandal it's cake. And the shields lock...on the Vandal...and the Spec 1R's I believe.