PDA

View Full Version : Spring Tune Up

OTB
03-20-2008, 07:48 AM
Weather was nice the other day, got to go off and shake the cobwebs off. I did what I have done for the better part of 30 some-odd years of riding; did a check out of the bike (tire pressures, pulled on the brakes to make sure they were attached to something, took a couple of wrenches and did a walk-around to make certain important things were still screwed on tight, checked chain tension and condition, ect.) . Then I went out to my "shakedown" route.

My shakedown route is a stretch of semi-residential-semi rural streets/roads a couple miles from my house. It's really nothing more than about a two-mile loop of a mixed bag of right and left hand right angle turns with a couple of low-speed (under 30 mph) sweepers thrown in. If you live in Florida or North Dakota, yours might be a couple of seldom-traveled suburban streets and an off-ramp or two. As long as it has some non-heavily trafficked rights and lefts with a moderate-speed sweeper or two thrown in.

The purpose of the "shakedown route" is for me to reacquaint myself in a non-threatening environment with the basics of motorcycle control and to reorient my brain to the four dimensional aspects (up and down, left/right, bankleft/right, and speed/time) of my beloved avocation, so that I don't spend my spring picking gravel out of my hide and mending busted bikes.

My tactic is to take a very gentle (read SLOW) tour of my loop....both to get comfortable and to scout the road surface for changes/hazads/gravel. I then make several circuits of the loop, slowly increasing velocity, but more importantly, increasing precision. I talk NOTHING like a fast pace; from slow to legal speeds....the purpose is not to set timed laps; the purpose is to get me into the zone, where braking, shifting leaning and throttle control are automatic; and I do it in my boring loop so that errors and bobbles stand out like a sore thumb. I can't concentrate on my technique if I'm concentrating on what shape the road is in around the next blind/unfamiliar turn.

It's kinda boring, but after a few laps, it becomes challenging to get smoother and more precise.

Which will pay off everyday on the street or track.

Just a suggestion on something passed on to me.

Happy riding.

marko138
03-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Excellent point.

OneSickPsycho
03-20-2008, 09:05 AM
I need to find a shakedown route.

fpzx10
03-20-2008, 09:34 AM
:dthumb: Good read

Cutty72
03-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Great read... and yeah... gotta find an on/off ramp for the sweeper :lol:

vabarber2
03-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Good thread. I cant wait to get home and know these cobwebs off!

dReWpY
03-20-2008, 06:57 PM
my shake down run, a 1,200 mile loop from OH to nashville, :lol:

NONE_too_SOFT
03-20-2008, 07:04 PM
my shake down run, a 1,200 mile loop from OH to nashville, :lol:

i think OTB was refering to people that have actually had a hiatus from riding this winter.

jalaan1
03-20-2008, 08:16 PM
great read.

def. the best thing to do at the begining of every season.

i plan on doing something similar as well as going to my usual empty
lot and do all the training routines that i learned/remember from the
MSF.

pickle.of.doom
03-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Heh... My shakedown run is going to be turning laps at Grattan Raceway next weekend.

dubbs
03-21-2008, 01:03 AM
Good shit man..

Love reading your posts and agree completely.. I need to reacquaint myself with the newfound grip the warmer temps bring.. My tires are starting to look awfully square..

:slide: