PDA

View Full Version : Cobblejob FTW!

Amber Lamps
03-24-2009, 12:13 AM
Well,I broke my brake lever a while ago and I'm deciding whether I want to replace it or not. Here's my repair job,JB Weld and wire. What do you all think?

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/kdk_0311.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/kdk_0310.jpg

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll220/lontigger/kdk_0321.jpg

derf
03-24-2009, 12:41 AM
Replace it because one day you are gonna need it and its gonna snap right at that one moment

No Worries
03-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Nice repair job. But for safety sake, I would replace it. That JB Weld can keep in fluids, but I don't know how strong it is in shear. Plus, drilling those two holes weakened the lever somewhat.

Dave
03-24-2009, 12:47 AM
heh my hurricane had a jbwelded mirror for months. thing never really dealt with the vibration very well

Amber Lamps
03-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Man...I know you are all right. I'll replace it. I'm a rear brake user anyway,it's been driving me nuts not having rear brakes...well there goes $80,I just had to buy Gilles didn't I?

Amber Lamps
03-24-2009, 01:28 AM
Nice repair job. But for safety sake, I would replace it. That JB Weld can keep in fluids, but I don't know how strong it is in shear. Plus, drilling those two holes weakened the lever somewhat.

I can see that but as it's a "push" type situation,I felt that it would be ok.

ZUKIMON
03-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Nice fix but could you have made the holes smaller?

Rider
03-24-2009, 08:55 AM
I have the stock OEM levers that will fit your bike if you want them.

ceo012384
03-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I can see that but as it's a "push" type situation,I felt that it would be ok.
I agree with this, actually.

When you get on the rear brake, that arm is basically just pushing directly upward on the master cylinder, right?

Since the stroke is not very long, it's basically a linear path of travel for that attachment point on the lever. It's not pushing orthogonal to the arm or any heavy shear type situation like that. What you did there will be fine, in my opinion.

Maybe throw a couple loops of safety wire in those two holes as well, just for redundancy, and periodically check to see if the JB weld or any of the three wire loops are showing signs of breakage. Use the thick gauge (.032 or .041).

Amber Lamps
03-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Nice fix but could you have made the holes smaller?

Yea I considered that,after the fact of course...it was the smallest bit I had on hand.

Amber Lamps
03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
I agree with this, actually.

When you get on the rear brake, that arm is basically just pushing directly upward on the master cylinder, right?

Since the stroke is not very long, it's basically a linear path of travel for that attachment point on the lever. It's not pushing orthogonal to the arm or any heavy shear type situation like that. What you did there will be fine, in my opinion.

Maybe throw a couple loops of safety wire in those two holes as well, just for redundancy, and periodically check to see if the JB weld or any of the three wire loops are showing signs of breakage. Use the thick gauge (.032 or .041).

Actually,I've considered that as well and almost did it before I took the pics but as stated I'm a bit leery of it breaking while I'm on the brakes hard so....:idk: Thanks Chris,a vote of confidence coming from you carries alot of weight but I'll probably just replace it...