PDA

View Full Version : Sweet....Miata to lose pounds.

pauldun170
03-24-2009, 04:54 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/24/next-mazda-miata-to-be-lighter-get-smaller-engines-and-electric/

RACER X
03-24-2009, 05:07 PM
it needed to, been getting fatter since the gen1/2 versions.

though i do like the latest version better then the previous ones.

Adeptus_Minor
03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
After test driving one of the newer models (a couple of years back) I was sincerely tempted to put my masculinity on the line and buy a Miata.
Unfortunately, I'm not at a point where I can have a 'second car', so anything I buy will be my daily driver. The lack of space to transport things... groceries, luggage, long guns... keeps making me reconsider.

Getting lighter sounds good, although the thing already corners like it's on rails.
Unless they can keep power up, the smaller motor doesn't sound so hot and EPS... *sigh*.

R6Chick
03-24-2009, 10:37 PM
I love mine! After a rental car all week, I just love hoping into my roadster and hitting the hwy.

The only downsides I find is the lack of space for even luggage, not the best gas milage for a go-cart, and a cheap looking interior.

RACER X
03-25-2009, 07:59 AM
After test driving one of the newer models (a couple of years back) I was sincerely tempted to put my masculinity on the line and buy a Miata.
Unfortunately, I'm not at a point where I can have a 'second car', so anything I buy will be my daily driver. The lack of space to transport things... groceries, luggage, long guns... keeps making me reconsider.

Getting lighter sounds good, although the thing already corners like it's on rails.
Unless they can keep power up, the smaller motor doesn't sound so hot and EPS... *sigh*.

I took a x-mas tree home w/ mine, towed my bike w/ mine had an old skoll 27"(or was it 32") TV in the ft seat......:rockwoot:

R6 the early miata's had a "cheap " interior for a purpose......water resistence.

R6Chick
03-25-2009, 08:05 AM
I took a x-mas tree home w/ mine, towed my bike w/ mine had an old skoll 27"(or was it 32") TV in the ft seat......:rockwoot:

R6 the early miata's had a "cheap " interior for a purpose......water resistence.
Mine's a 2007... I can't even fit my luggage in the trunk so it's hard to have people come in and visit me in Fort Lauderdale.

Rider
03-25-2009, 08:18 AM
It's still a fucking chick car.

RACER X
03-25-2009, 09:01 AM
It's still a fucking chick car.

funny you say that, we were at the track this weekend, and can you guess which car was in more paddocks then any car?

funny watching a miata go around merci.........:rockwoot:

r6, your is fla, what more do ya need then swimsuits and towels......kekeke

Adeptus_Minor
03-25-2009, 10:10 AM
funny you say that, we were at the track this weekend, and can you guess which car was in more paddocks then any car?

I saw a couple of them running at Cresson one time, they definitely hold their own among cars of similar class.
Of course, this was also apparently the Lotus Elise/Exige club day because the other track was chock-effing-full of those little bastards.

smileyman
03-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Just depends on how far you want to go to lighten any car. I think I remember the old 7 lbs is worth 1 HP:idk: So you strip the unecessary stuff, AC, big radio speaker magnets, ditch the stock exhaust and hanger for soem lite free flowing shit. Get desperate and remove all but one seat belt, no more mirrors, throw out those sissy sun visors and buy some shades...Carbon fiber hood, lighter wheels, go crazy and go with CF fenders, replace the grill with screen door screen, Ditch the glass and go back with plexi-glass, remove the carpet pad and sound deadening materials...You can really go nuts.

Weight is a compromise and if your desperate to get your Camaro/Miata/RX7/Mustang down to roadrace weight start stripping it. Why do that unless you are actually using it in competition I haven't the foggiest clue:panic:

Just be happy it rolls and drive it like you stole it!:rockwoot:

Mrs. Colleen
03-25-2009, 10:39 AM

You should have seen our 97 when the husband and I went away for the weekend AND did a track day. :lol: We were so jam packed into that little car. :lol: Two helmets take up a LOT of room! :panic:

the chi
03-25-2009, 10:43 AM
:lol: The memories! I had one through a few hurricanes, can you imagine the evac in that car?! We had a Jeep Cherokee too, but with 5 dogs, 7 cats, and 2 ferrets it was more than an adventure!! I loved that little car tho, the handling was great and for a commute to work in florida it was awesome!!

R6Chick
03-25-2009, 11:14 AM

r6, your is fla, what more do ya need then swimsuits and towels......kekeke

I need my girlfriends to come visit, haha!

Actually I'm working in Houston and commuting every week, so before my corproate apartment, I have to drive to/from the airport with my luggage in the passenger seat. It makes it a little harder to take those off ramps at speed when your rollalong is leaning the wrong way.

RACER X
03-25-2009, 11:22 AM
I need my girlfriends to come visit, haha!

Actually I'm working in Houston and commuting every week, so before my corproate apartment, I have to drive to/from the airport with my luggage in the passenger seat. It makes it a little harder to take those off ramps at speed when your rollalong is leaning the wrong way.

O/T whereabouts in houston? we're basically kinda in houston far SW

check out www.motohouston.com a squidly site but alot of trackdayers on there as well. there was a T/D 3/21 just south of houston, we went down there 3/22 to watch my buddy spin his new formula mazda off the track in his 1st outing w/ the new car......lol

Archren
03-25-2009, 11:23 AM

RX-8 FTW... assuming they fixed that compression in hot climates problem. :scratch: I never had any problems as far as space goes.. the back seat is impressively roomy (I fit BOTH car seats w/ kiddos in there), and the trunk isn't what my Mazda 3 has, but it has a decent trunk.

And you wanna talk about cornering on rails? You can't beat 50-50 weight distribution.

But then I'm a little biased... and want another RX-8 bad (again, assuming they've figured out those compression issues). I've never driven a Miata, so I'm by no means ragging on them. :dthumb:

smileyman
03-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Small tired track cars will teach you how to drive in a hurry. I think that is where the Miatas shine. Inexpensive, upgradeable to whatever enthusiast level, good to teach you performance driving (ask Bob Bondurant).

It is sort of the car equivalent of the SV650...

RACER X
03-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Bob Bondurant).

It is sort of the car equivalent of the SV650...

yup and i've had both :rockout: and been to bondurant to boot!

R6Chick
03-25-2009, 11:40 AM
O/T whereabouts in houston? we're basically kinda in houston far SW

check out www.motohouston.com a squidly site but alot of trackdayers on there as well. there was a T/D 3/21 just south of houston, we went down there 3/22 to watch my buddy spin his new formula mazda off the track in his 1st outing w/ the new car......lol

I'm somewhere off Dairy Ashford near I-10, so I'm guessing it's considered the west side of town.

Thanks for the site.

RACER X
03-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm somewhere off Dairy Ashford near I-10, so I'm guessing it's considered the west side of town.

Thanks for the site.

you're pretty close, LMK if ya need anything. or wanna babysit so i can go ride kekeke

R6Chick
03-25-2009, 02:02 PM
you're pretty close, LMK if ya need anything. or wanna babysit so i can go ride kekeke

Babysit, how much would you pay? How many kids and how old?

I would totally watch some spongebob for extra cash, it's like I have anything else to do in Houston beside work.

Chris S
03-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I love my Miata, it's a great track car and fun on backroads as well, plus very inexpensive to run. If it sells, I'm going to upgrade to a 3rd gen Miata, but not expecting to since I'm installing a new suspension this week.

I never thought much of the new ones until I saw a well-prepped one slaughter every other Miata on the track during a Harris Hill Road DE. I've subsequently test driven a few (one of which had Mazdaspeed suspension, exhaust, and intake), and while somewhat "unfinished" stock, they're a great blank canvas that responds very well to mods.

'99 10AE Miata For Sale (http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=29415)