PDA

View Full Version : Bar ends?

NONE_too_SOFT
03-29-2009, 01:27 AM
I've never had to deal with this before, but i cant figure out for the life of me how to install my bar ends. I took the one i did have off, and just tried putting the new one on in place. worked fine, but stuck out way too far. i thought i understood the mechanics to it (the mount you screw the actual bar end into screws into the clipon, if im not mistaken) but couldnt adjust that mount at all.

so i go to the otherside, and have the exact opposite problem. the mount was recessed too far back.

Any ideas?

Amber Lamps
03-29-2009, 06:17 AM
I've never had to deal with this before, but i cant figure out for the life of me how to install my bar ends. I took the one i did have off, and just tried putting the new one on in place. worked fine, but stuck out way too far. i thought i understood the mechanics to it (the mount you screw the actual bar end into screws into the clipon, if im not mistaken) but couldnt adjust that mount at all.

so i go to the otherside, and have the exact opposite problem. the mount was recessed too far back.

Any ideas?

Swap them left to right?:idk: Use some stainless washers to shim out the recessed side to match?

Trip
03-29-2009, 09:54 AM
on the short one, you are going to have to attach the bolt not very far in at all and try to pull that one out some. It's a pain in the ass. If you put the bolt too far in it will expand and it won't budge.

on the long one, do the same with the bolt and beat it in with a rubber mallet to desired distance.

Amber Lamps
03-29-2009, 11:33 AM
on the short one, you are going to have to attach the bolt not very far in at all and try to pull that one out some. It's a pain in the ass. If you put the bolt too far in it will expand and it won't budge.

on the long one, do the same with the bolt and beat it in with a rubber mallet to desired distance.

Well,there ya go!

Dave
03-29-2009, 12:12 PM
yer kidding right?

HRCNICK11
03-29-2009, 12:18 PM
If its the stock ones the insert moves. There is a clip on it that digs into the inside of the bar itself.

NONE_too_SOFT
03-31-2009, 06:36 AM
i was thinking about trying the rubber mallet, but the thing looks threaded, so i figured it turned...

i guess i could use my engineering knowhow to find a way to pull the other one out... i'll probobly kill myself somehow.

Yamerhaw
03-31-2009, 01:07 PM
i was thinking about trying the rubber mallet, but the thing looks threaded, so i figured it turned...

i guess i could use my engineering knowhow to find a way to pull the other one out... i'll probobly kill myself somehow.

could you leave a note for someone else to post up if you do manage to kill yourself replacing bar ends?

HRCNICK11
03-31-2009, 01:50 PM
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/44/Year/2003/ModelID/6979/Model/CBR600RR/GroupID/300366/Group/HANDLEBAR_TOP_BRIDGE

That link might help it has a photo of all the parts involved.

More than likely the insert broke about a inch in if its spins. The bar end and the insert should have half circles that interlock so you can hold the bar end to keep the insert from spining. Lots of times the bar end breaks and takes about 3/4 of a inch of the insert with it. You would need to replace the insert also.

If you need to replace the insert a slide hammer works nice to remove it. There is a one way clip that snaps into a hole in the bar and is damaged when removed.

Amber Lamps
03-31-2009, 03:12 PM
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/1/Make/Honda/YearID/44/Year/2003/ModelID/6979/Model/CBR600RR/GroupID/300366/Group/HANDLEBAR_TOP_BRIDGE

That link might help it has a photo of all the parts involved.

More than likely the insert broke about a inch in if its spins. The bar end and the insert should have half circles that interlock so you can hold the bar end to keep the insert from spining. Lots of times the bar end breaks and takes about 3/4 of a inch of the insert with it. You would need to replace the insert also.

If you need to replace the insert a slide hammer works nice to remove it. There is a one way clip that snaps into a hole in the bar and is damaged when removed.

Ok I'm up to speed now...Would it be better for him just to "beat the insert in further and buy aftermarket,even Suzuki style ends?

HRCNICK11
03-31-2009, 07:56 PM
It would vibrate more if he did that, plus if he ever wanted to sell it that would key me off to the fact that it has hit the ground.

He needs to look in the end and see if its broken off or not. If its not it should look just like the end of the bar end. Really this is not rocket science you just need to figure out what going on in there and move stuff around a little.