PDA

View Full Version : brake fluid-what and why?

Dnyce
03-30-2009, 09:18 PM
i usually just buy some dot 4 or 5 as im walking out the store, but they make synthetics, 5.1, 6, and even 7 i think. what do you guys use, and why?

i gotta buy some cuz i got some galfer superbike lines, but b4 i do em i was wondering if i should care what i used.

tached1000rr
03-30-2009, 09:19 PM
interested in hearing others replies...

JoshuaTree
03-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Maybe someone else can chime in with the chemistry specifics, but some brake fluids are not compatible with some lines/seals. I'm pretty sure that mixing the wrong types can cause the fluid to become a paste/grease consistency that will not be good news for your brakes or braking ability.

In general, unless you know you have a need for 'higher boiling point' rated fluid in your specific brake fluid's chemical family (i.e. racing, heavy trackday usage, etc.), I wouldn't bother "upgrading". Its MUCH more important to change your brake fluid regularly (i.e. yearly or every other year at the latest), and to have the system bled properly at all times.

When you replace the brake lines, if you have to remove a 'banjo bolt' fitting, always ALWAYS use new sealing rings. ;)

Put rags around and under drip areas - brake fluid and painted/powder coated finishes are not happy with each other. If you do have a spill, flush the area with water (you might invest in a simple spray bottle with water in it).

As always, YMMV... :shrug:

azoomm
03-30-2009, 09:56 PM
After learning more than I ever wanted to know about brake systems, I have come to learn this... unless your bike can take a synthetic, don't go to a higher number than recommended. And, do not mix. There will be no benefit, and the 5.1, 6, etc. may eat parts that aren't compatible.

BobTheBiker
03-30-2009, 10:14 PM
I just run standard DOT4 fluid in my brakes and clutch. I dont ride hard enough or use the brakes aggressively enough to warrant anything else, plus I change the fluid frequently to keep the system in top shape.

bmblebee
03-31-2009, 08:53 AM
I use the fluid that is called for on the cap of my master cylinder reservoir. I can't claim to know more than the people who designed the system

marko138
03-31-2009, 09:13 AM
I generally use what's called for. I have a bottle of Bel-Ray Super DOT 5 I need to put in soon.

Yamerhaw
03-31-2009, 01:02 PM
Dot 4

zed
03-31-2009, 01:13 PM
I put a synthetic dot4 in mine last time because that is what I had on hand at the shop. thought it was castrol but their site don't show it as synthetic.

OTB
03-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Dot 3 and 4 are Glycol based and are hydro attractant; Dot 5 is Silicone based and is NOT compatable with the other types. Mixing Dot 3/4 with Dot 5 can cause catastrophic seal failures/seizures.

The difference between Dot 3 and 4 is the amount of additives used to elevate the boiling point.

Dot 5 Fluid won't hurt your paint, but usually gives a spongier feel, and since it is non-miscable with water, the water gavitates to the lowest points of the sytem and causes corrosion.

Unless your system is specifically designed for Dot 5 and above, using it will garner few benefits.

JMHO

marko138
03-31-2009, 04:20 PM
I generally use what's called for. I have a bottle of Bel-Ray Super DOT 5 I need to put in soon.
Check that...It's Super DOT 4 I have.

ceo012384
04-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Motul RBF600 is the prime track shit... a little pricey though.

was92v
04-10-2009, 06:53 AM
Dot 4 for me.

tommymac
04-10-2009, 07:18 AM
been using DOT 4 even on the track bike and had no issues. its tough finding the DOT 4 in the auto stores and the dealers charge an arm and a leg for it so I usualy just order a bottle when purchasing other things.

tom

Rsv1000R
04-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Dot 5.1 is sometimes compatable with Dot 4 systems. Dot 5 is not the same as 5.1 nor do they mix. My HD has Dot 5, and my Aprilia says Dot 5.0 (4.0 compatable) which I think is what they call 5.1 in Europe.

tommymac
04-13-2009, 02:48 AM
Dot 5.1 is sometimes compatable with Dot 4 systems. Dot 5 is not the same as 5.1 nor do they mix. My HD has Dot 5, and my Aprilia says Dot 5.0 (4.0 compatable) which I think is what they call 5.1 in Europe.

I will have to double check but am 99% sure the futura used dot 4 for the brakes and the clutch.

Tom

NONE_too_SOFT
04-13-2009, 06:34 AM
Use whats called for w/ the specific brake system you have. if you've got aftermarket parts on your brakes i'd consult them, rather than what the OEM calls for.

I've heard that using High Temp DOT 5 will reduce Spongy feel during intense/frequent braking. have yet to test it, but i've got some in the mail.

Rsv1000R
04-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Use whats called for w/ the specific brake system you have. if you've got aftermarket parts on your brakes i'd consult them, rather than what the OEM calls for.

I've heard that using High Temp DOT 5 will reduce Spongy feel during intense/frequent braking. have yet to test it, but i've got some in the mail.

If you're getting US Dot 5, be careful about mixing it with even a trace of Dot 4, as it turns to goop. There a whole procedure for switching it over you need to follow.

Dot 5 doesn't absorb moisture, which reduces the boiling point of Dot 4 brake fluids, But your brake system will still collect condensation, and then you get water settling to the lowest point it can get to, and if it gets into the calipers, you still boil it, and it corrodes everything it touches.

Apparently, there have been a lot of expensive cars that had dot 5 put in during restorations, and had the brake systems ruined from condensation.

ZUKIMON
04-28-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm still unsure about my fluid. My 929 says DOT 4 on the caps, and I have a quart of DOT 4 Castrol Synthetic sitting here on my workbench at work. Is there a DOT 4 that's not synthetic? Will this be OK in my bike? I've never messed with anything other than DOT 3. :( :idk:

racedoll
04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
I use whatever it says to use.

zed
04-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm still unsure about my fluid. My 929 says DOT 4 on the caps, and I have a quart of DOT 4 Castrol Synthetic sitting here on my workbench at work. Is there a DOT 4 that's not synthetic? Will this be OK in my bike? I've never messed with anything other than DOT 3. :( :idk:

without looking it up somewhere I don't know the answer, did you look on the container and see if it says not to mix with other DOT4 fluids?

ZUKIMON
04-30-2009, 12:01 AM
I'll quote it when I get back to work tomorrow, but it never stated that it either could not mix, or could mix with DOT 3/4 fluid. ??? That's what threw me.... :idk:

I mean, my cap says DOT 4, and this fluid is DOT 4 Synthetic. How do I know if mine is synthetic or not and if they will combine if mine isn't. I'm at a loss on this one. Can you even get DOT 4 that's not synthetic?

ZUKIMON
04-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Here's what I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Castrol-Synthetic-Brake-Fluid-quart/dp/B0002JMAKW

If you read the specs, that's exactly what it says on the bottle. Not one word mentioned about mixing or changing/flushing out the DOT 3 or non-synthetic DOT 4.

101lifts2
05-25-2009, 10:39 PM
Motul 5.1...the suspension guy told me to run it. Didn't notice any difference.