PDA

View Full Version : fzr wont start?

elimental
03-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Got the VR in the mail earlier this week, went out and bought a RC plane fuel tank to do the overflow tank thing [which looks great!], the R6 short can should be in today with the rest of my mail, got a new maint. free battery all charged and ready to go. Itll crank, but the damn thing wont start! its got gas in the tank, air filter's clean, and good spark across all 4 cyl. but no dice. had a bit of an issue looking for the choke since i was used to the choke on my kawi 250 being on the left handle bar and to my surprise this one didnt seem to have it there, but by where the petcock would be on a regular bike? [unless im blind and it was there all along]

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/x_defiance/new%20addiction/IMG00230a.jpg

I'll be giving it a thorough carb cleaning next week since ill have time then and see how it goes. But before i start taking things off it, anyone have any input as to what else it could be? :confused:

JoJoYZF
03-21-2008, 03:22 PM
My suggestion was going to be cleaning the carbs. Any idea on how long its been since they were cleaned or how long its been since the bike was ridden regularly?

elimental
03-21-2008, 03:31 PM
My suggestion was going to be cleaning the carbs. Any idea on how long its been since they were cleaned or how long its been since the bike was ridden regularly?

previous owner said it ran last summer, he wasnt much into bikes though. he had left it parked in his house with the fuel still in it. [so much for using those fuel lines] drained it and put new fuel in it and no dice.

JoJoYZF
03-21-2008, 03:37 PM
It probably is just gummed up carbs. With him just leaving fuel in it they probably need to be cleaned out real well and I would thing youll be all set.

lauralynne
03-21-2008, 07:08 PM
FZR carbs are finicky - I can pull mine and clean then in the dark at this point. I've had them apart more than 3 dozen times in trying to get my bike to run correctly. Tear them down, clean them out - all cracks and ports. Then put them back together and try again.

No Worries
03-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Got the VR in the mail earlier this week, went out and bought a RC plane fuel tank to do the overflow tank thing [which looks great!], the R6 short can should be in today with the rest of my mail, got a new maint. free battery all charged and ready to go. Itll crank, but the damn thing wont start! its got gas in the tank, air filter's clean, and good spark across all 4 cyl. but no dice. had a bit of an issue looking for the choke since i was used to the choke on my kawi 250 being on the left handle bar and to my surprise this one didnt seem to have it there, but by where the petcock would be on a regular bike? [unless im blind and it was there all along]

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/x_defiance/new%20addiction/IMG00230a.jpg

I'll be giving it a thorough carb cleaning next week since ill have time then and see how it goes. But before i start taking things off it, anyone have any input as to what else it could be? :confused:

Keep looking for the choke cable. Maybe the previous owner broke or removed the choke cable? Some older bikes could have a choke lever on the side of one of the outside carbs.

FZR carbs are finicky - I can pull mine and clean then in the dark at this point. I've had them apart more than 3 dozen times in trying to get my bike to run correctly. Tear them down, clean them out - all cracks and ports. Then put them back together and try again.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you take off the top covers and clean the piston/needle and walls, air bleeds, and check the rubber diaphragm for tears or holes? When you put the top covers back on, did you use Vaseline
in the groove of the diaphragm? An air leak there and the carbs won't run for crap.

elimental
03-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Keep looking for the choke cable. Maybe the previous owner broke or removed the choke cable? Some older bikes could have a choke lever on the side of one of the outside carbs.

When you cleaned the carbs, did you take off the top covers and clean the piston/needle and walls, air bleeds, and check the rubber diaphragm for tears or holes? When you put the top covers back on, did you use Vaseline
in the groove of the diaphragm? An air leak there and the carbs won't run for crap.

confirmed! lever is on the side but it appears to be an aftermarket choke? its definitely not the OEM assembly, perhaps one from a different bike. I'll take it apart next thursday cause i'll have time then. The bike has had a yzf tank conversion so i didnt even see a petcock in there. seems like i have some restoring to do!

elimental
03-30-2008, 06:14 PM
so i cleaned the carbs thoroughly, assembled everything back. turn the key fuel pump winds up and does its lil thing for a few seconds and then it stops. I press the start button and the bike sputters but wont start up. you can hear it wants to start but it just doesnt go. How much is the fuel pump supposed to pump out when the key is turned to the on position? is it supposed to be a stream, or is it supposed to just drip a bit?

Dave
03-30-2008, 09:03 PM
check your fuel filter, also alot of times on a cold start with carbs it can help to stuff a rag in the tailpipe (of course pull it as soon as she fires!). the problem is fuel atomisation and sometimes that extra restriction is just what you needed. good luck!

elimental
03-30-2008, 10:29 PM
check your fuel filter, also alot of times on a cold start with carbs it can help to stuff a rag in the tailpipe (of course pull it as soon as she fires!). the problem is fuel atomisation and sometimes that extra restriction is just what you needed. good luck!

I put a new fuel filter in today and nothing. im gonna empty out the tank and put new fuel in and spray some starter fluid on the carbs. hopefully she'll start tomorrow. :idk:

Gas Man
03-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Don't do starter fluid...

Get some seafoam if you're trying to short cut.

However, you should replace the gas. Gas can go to shit in as short as 3 weeks in the correct environment. A quick way to check is to get a spray bottle of known GOOD GAS and spray it directly into the carb like you would starting fluid when you're cranking it over. If it starts... it is either your gas or your gas delivery.

Have you checked for spark?

Also, moving this to tech... sorry I missed it before. I'll try to help the best I can over the internet... take it for what you want... Ithink I know how to turn a few bolts...

Mr Lefty
03-31-2008, 12:38 AM
seafoam FTMFW

elimental
03-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Don't do starter fluid...

Get some seafoam if you're trying to short cut.

However, you should replace the gas. Gas can go to shit in as short as 3 weeks in the correct environment. A quick way to check is to get a spray bottle of known GOOD GAS and spray it directly into the carb like you would starting fluid when you're cranking it over. If it starts... it is either your gas or your gas delivery.

Have you checked for spark?

Also, moving this to tech... sorry I missed it before. I'll try to help the best I can over the internet... take it for what you want... Ithink I know how to turn a few bolts...

yes sir, good spark all across. disconnected the fuel lines and inspected them and they're good. the fuel pump winds up and pumps well. its got fuel, spark, and air. im gonna pull the plugs on her again tomorrow and re-check everything once more.

Gas Man
03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Check the plugs again... but I would lean more towards bad gas!!!

elimental
03-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Check the plugs again... but I would lean more towards bad gas!!!

i tried to run it with some starter fluid and it ran for a few seconds. I drained the tank, added new gas turned it over and the same thing happen. sounded like a damn shotgun every time. its got clean gas, air, and i tested the leads to the sparkplugs, im starting to think the spark plugs are fouled.

Cutty72
03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Try kicking it... that always worked on my quad :lol:

elimental
03-31-2008, 07:22 PM
did that and she sputtered next step louisville slugger! took out the plug from cyl 1. clean as a whistle. the other 3 black as night. cleaned'em up real good and now im waiting till the battery charges fully before i go back at it.

No Worries
03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
i tried to run it with some starter fluid and it ran for a few seconds. I drained the tank, added new gas turned it over and the same thing happen. sounded like a damn shotgun every time. its got clean gas, air, and i tested the leads to the sparkplugs, im starting to think the spark plugs are fouled.

That sounds like you have mixed up the spark plug wires.

did that and she sputtered next step louisville slugger! took out the plug from cyl 1. clean as a whistle. the other 3 black as night. cleaned'em up real good and now im waiting till the battery charges fully before i go back at it.

That sounds like the float needle/seats are leaking on carbs 2, 3, and 4. I don't think the choke could stick on one carb and not another. But anything is possible.

Gas Man
04-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Here's how to read your plugs (http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm)

elimental
04-05-2008, 08:10 PM
cleaned out the plugs really good, fired her up and she ran with the choke on. wouldnt run for its life without the choke. So im gonna swap fuel filters again, maybe this one wasnt as clean as i thought it was after all. i'll update in a few minutes

UPDATE: fuel filter changed, still wont stay on much longer without the choke. and it keeps backfiring. timing issue maybe? I adjusted the idling screw and it helped some now it idles at about half choke. any ideas about what else it might be?

Gas Man
04-06-2008, 12:44 AM
Have you pulled the air box and checked to see if all the carbs are spraying gas?

May be looking into pulling the carbs. You will need a service manual. Or take them to a dealer for cleaning and sync. And would be an ideal time to consider at least a stage 1 jet kit.

elimental
04-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Have you pulled the air box and checked to see if all the carbs are spraying gas?

May be looking into pulling the carbs. You will need a service manual. Or take them to a dealer for cleaning and sync. And would be an ideal time to consider at least a stage 1 jet kit.

ran the bike with the airbox off as well as with it on, i think they need to be synced. the throttle butterfly doesnt open as wide on carbs 1 and 2 as it does on 3 and 4. dont know how it got off sync, i didnt detach the carbs when i cleaned them a few weeks ago. I checked the maint manual, couldnt find anything on the flow chart regarding the bike not idling without the choke. maybe its cause im tired.

Gas Man
04-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Most of the time your manufactures say you are suppose to sync yearly.

elimental
05-11-2008, 11:24 PM
damn i havent been around in over a month? crazy!! here's a summary of what's been happening. I bought new [used] carbs for the bike from craigslist for 50 bucks. threw them on and after some slight tuning she runs, idles rought but she runs. without the choke! Ive yet to take apart the old carbs to see exactly what it was that was causing the bike to run like trash. I'll do that some time during the week. Next stop is this r6 shortcan mod! thanks for all your help guys.