PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have ACL Replacement Surgery???

TATER
03-21-2008, 04:59 PM
I am due to go under the knife at the end of the month.... any feedback from anyone who has had this done???

Full Throttle
03-22-2008, 01:27 AM
Ive never had it done but 2 of my friends did and it really helps to have lots of Physical therapy... it costs alot but hopefully your insurance will pay... but both of them were down for a few weeks and then were limited for a few more. but there good now and dont even seem to of ever had surgery. hope all goes well dude.

OneSickPsycho
03-22-2008, 02:33 PM
They told me if I ever blew out my knee again I'd have to have it... So I quit going to the hospital when it pops out... Been a couple years since it last happened though.

'73 H1 Triple
03-22-2008, 07:06 PM
I am due to go under the knife at the end of the month.... any feedback from anyone who has had this done???

I had ACL reconstructive surgery on my left knee in sept 2002. A coworker fell off a three step ladder and I caught him. I'm only 6' and 215lbs, he was 6'-3" and 280 lbs. Snapped my ACL in half. I got fitted with a brace to help with stability.

I had a patella graft which means they used the center of my own left patella as my new ACL. By doing that procedure, I ended up with a new ACL that is over twice the strength of the original.

The surgeon had me doing physical therapy for 6 weeks before my operation to strengthen the surrounding muscle groups and lessen the swelling. I was also getting my knee drained two or three times a week. As someone who used to hate needles, I was looking forward to getting my knee drained as it felt so much better.

I was in the hospital for 23 hours. Came in the morning and left the next morning after the surgery.

I had a scar about 2.5 inches long on my knee cap where the took the center of my patella tendon, three small ( 1/2" ) scars around my knee where they worked with the scope and one very small scar above my knee on my thigh where they tension the new ACL.

I had a "cool suit" around my knee with quick connects to a igloo style cooler.It was filled with ice cubes and water. It had a small circulating pump which ran off a wall mounted adapter. ( like your phone recharger) That circulated cool water around my knee which reduces swelling.

If you only listen to one part, this is it
Do your best to keep your knee iced down. If you can reduce the swelling, you WILL reduce pain and discomfort. Keep your leg elevated as much as possible. That helps too.

I used that cooler system and never had bad pain.

After about two weeks, I started PT. I'll tell you straight out, you are going to experience discomfort. Tough shit, deal with it. You will get back what you put in to it. Work thru it and get YOUR leg ( and mobility ) back.

Pay attention to what your physical therapists tell you to do and what not to do. They do this and know what's best. The closer you follow their direction, the faster your recovery will be.

I was 42 years old when I had mine done and my surgeon told I responded better than even his high school athletes.

Feel free to ask any more questions you might have either here, PM or email.

Jeff

marko138
03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
My wife tore both ACL's. She describes it as the worst pain of her life.

'73 H1 Triple
03-22-2008, 09:28 PM
My wife tore both ACL's. She describes it as the worst pain of her life.

At the same time? :panic:

marko138
03-22-2008, 09:33 PM
No...about a two years apart. One was during bball practice and the other was track season.

'73 H1 Triple
03-22-2008, 10:13 PM
No...about a two years apart. One was during bball practice and the other was track season.

Still sucks but better than at the same time.

marko138
03-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Truth. She has video of one of the surgery's that she used to try to get me to watch. No thanks.

'73 H1 Triple
03-26-2008, 09:34 PM

Any other questions Tater? :idk: