PDA

View Full Version : BT-016 Tires $225 a set shipped.

Amber Lamps
04-08-2009, 10:11 AM
They've gone down another step on the price of the Bridgestones...

http://www.cyclesector.com/product_p/bstone-bt016-set.htm

Rider
04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Fantastic deal.

dReWpY
04-08-2009, 10:52 AM
are they worth it?

Rider
04-08-2009, 11:02 AM
are they worth it?

Yeah they are good, you just need to let them warm up a bit longer than PP's

t-homo
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Probably 2/3 of the guys here in Southwest MO run 016s or 002s. They are normally around 250 a pair for a 180/55 and 15-25 bucks more for the 190/55. They will probably be my next set of tires.

dReWpY
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
compared to the pr2 i have on now, im sure i can wait a lil while to get heated, it damn near took half a trip through the gap to heat these suckers up, but when they did... :yikes:

fatburg
04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I have them, treated me good last weekend

TYEster
04-08-2009, 08:04 PM
I've been looking at these tires VS the BT002RS's I found at motorcycle-superstore.com.

Quick question - are the 002s the older version on the 003s? Or are they completely diff(which I wouldnt think are)

azoomm
04-08-2009, 08:08 PM
003R are the new ones tye.

The 016's are worth it, if they aren't out of date. Which at that price would have me worried.

TYEster
04-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Which price - cyclesectors $250(for me 190/55) or moto-superstore $277? Or both lol..

BTW what's out of date? Past year? 2 years?

HAHA btw Ed Clemmins ava > *

azoomm
04-08-2009, 08:57 PM
The only way to know the date is to have them.... The date is stamped on every tire made (tire rack has a great guide on it). But, the trouble with buying online is you could easily get what you pay for. :wink:

Amber Lamps
04-08-2009, 09:18 PM
003R are the new ones tye.

The 016's are worth it, if they aren't out of date. Which at that price would have me worried.

What are you talking about? BT-002 RS are the newest street tire from Bridgestone according to the website. The BT-003 is a "race" tire and not recommended for street use even though it is DOT. As far as "out of date" goes,the damn BT-016s haven't been out long enough for that to be a concern. I only buy and/or post deals from what I believe to be reputable sources. BTW if you're REALLY worried just call Competition Accessories and have them (or Dennis Kirk) match this deal. I just ordered the BT-002 RS tires for $240 shipped from Competition today using this technique.

TYEster
04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
:idk:

DLIT
04-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Yeah they are good, you just need to let them warm up a bit longer than PP's

A lot bit longer. I was slipping all over the place on my way to work today.

Amber Lamps
04-09-2009, 12:42 AM

Yea,that's my only complaint with them. Pirellis have always been ready to go out of the garage and now I have to wait....Oh well we'll see if the BT-002RS tires are any better.

fatburg
04-09-2009, 07:40 AM
What are you talking about? BT-002 RS are the newest street tire from Bridgestone according to the website. The BT-003 is a "race" tire and not recommended for street use even though it is DOT. As far as "out of date" goes,the damn BT-016s haven't been out long enough for that to be a concern. I only buy and/or post deals from what I believe to be reputable sources. BTW if you're REALLY worried just call Competition Accessories and have them (or Dennis Kirk) match this deal. I just ordered the BT-002 RS tires for $240 shipped from Competition today using this technique.

You can find good deals on the BT-16's, last fall they had a buy a rear get a free front at Cyclegear. That's were I picked up mine

azoomm
04-09-2009, 09:00 AM

Jesus Christ - I'm not trying to poop on your deal finding. I'm trying to let people know that there are shitty dealers out there, and it's VERY easy to get taken when buying tires online.

Hell, there were people HERE in Austin that didn't understand dates on tires and bought old tires from Cycle Gear in person. They were BT016's - which the product number has been out for a few years - you just need to make sure you're getting the NEW compound and not the OLD ones.

The ONLY way to do that is with a date check.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

HurricaneHeather
04-09-2009, 09:41 AM
Jesus Christ - I'm not trying to poop on your deal finding.

Nothing to add....just wanted to laugh at this. :rofl:

Amber Lamps
04-09-2009, 11:15 AM
You can find good deals on the BT-16's, last fall they had a buy a rear get a free front at Cyclegear. That's were I picked up mine

A$214 shipped! That's where I got mine!

Amber Lamps
04-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Jesus Christ - I'm not trying to poop on your deal finding. I'm trying to let people know that there are shitty dealers out there, and it's VERY easy to get taken when buying tires online.

Hell, there were people HERE in Austin that didn't understand dates on tires and bought old tires from Cycle Gear in person. They were BT016's - which the product number has been out for a few years - you just need to make sure you're getting the NEW compound and not the OLD ones.

The ONLY way to do that is with a date check.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

I love you Zoomie! Call me! man,I was just fucking with you,yeesh! Now,I understand that the BT-016 have been out for a few years but as far as a compound change goes...that's the difference between the OEM tires and the aftermarket tires baby cakes. Last I knew the OEM buns cost WAY more than the aftermarket tires. I will admit that I thought you were saying that the tires might be "bad" because of age which would be absurd. Anyway,sorry for teasing you buttercup!

Amber Lamps
04-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Nothing to add....just wanted to laugh at this. :rofl:

God I love firing her up! Pssst...don't tell her that I actually like her ok?

HurricaneHeather
04-09-2009, 11:24 AM
I love you Zoomie! .... baby cakes....buttercup!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

azoomm
04-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I love you Zoomie! Call me! man,I was just fucking with you,yeesh! Now,I understand that the BT-016 have been out for a few years but as far as a compound change goes...that's the difference between the OEM tires and the aftermarket tires baby cakes. Last I knew the OEM buns cost WAY more than the aftermarket tires. I will admit that I thought you were saying that the tires might be "bad" because of age which would be absurd. Anyway,sorry for teasing you buttercup!

:lol: Buttercup :rofl:

I wish they would have re-numbered them rather than just updating the information about them.... not that the "old" 016's were bad, but now they are OLD. So, not only could you get something that's been sitting in a warehouse BUT - you could get the OLD compound. :wink:

I buy through the trackside race supply

Amber Lamps
04-09-2009, 11:30 AM
:lol: Buttercup :rofl:

I wish they would have re-numbered them rather than just updating the information about them.... not that the "old" 016's were bad, but now they are OLD. So, not only could you get something that's been sitting in a warehouse BUT - you could get the OLD compound. :wink:

I buy through the trackside race supply

Yea? Do they have the freshest buns,sweetie? I hear what you are saying and I understand that the tires might be an old compound but I don't think that there is any "danger". For the most part,everyone pulls from the same pool of tires,so regardless of who you buy them from you are almost certain to get the same "quality"/"age" of tire IMHO. Unless you know someone who is getting them straight from the factory....

azoomm
04-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Yea? Do they have the freshest buns,sweetie? I hear what you are saying and I understand that the tires might be an old compound but I don't think that there is any "danger". For the most part,everyone pulls from the same pool of tires,so regardless of who you buy them from you are almost certain to get the same "quality"/"age" of tire IMHO. Unless you know someone who is getting them straight from the factory....

Eh, not necessarily dangerous. It's just my opinion that if you think you are buying something - you should get that something. Not an older version of it. I know, crazy concept :lol:

A race supplier not only gets the R compounds that others can't, they go through their stock at a rapid rate. So, yup - the freshest buns :rofl:

Amber Lamps
04-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Eh, not necessarily dangerous. It's just my opinion that if you think you are buying something - you should get that something. Not an older version of it. I know, crazy concept :lol:

A race supplier not only gets the R compounds that others can't, they go through their stock at a rapid rate. So, yup - the freshest buns :rofl:

You realize we're talking about street tires right?:lol: Okay,okay you win. God I love a feisty woman!

Amber Lamps
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM

This is how much respect I have for you Zoomster! I called Cycle Sector and asked about their tires and prices. The general manager assured me that they,like almost everyone else,have their tires dropped shipped from the distributor,who periodically sells out of the Bridgestones btw, so you can be assured that you are getting the freshest buns available to anyone in the U.S. I further checked with Competition Accessories who also stated that they were having my tires drop shipped from the distributor. He stated that," Tell your friend that the only way to get them any "fresher" would be to steal them from the factory in Japan!":lol:

Rider
04-09-2009, 01:54 PM

Yeah when they are cold they suck... Why do you think my bike got totaled. 40 degrees out on a dewy November morning and about 1/4 mile from my house is where my accident happened. The tires had no grip and they weren't slowing my bike down when I crested a hill. Warmer tires on a warmer day would have saved me.

DLIT
04-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah when they are cold they suck... Why do you think my bike got totaled. 40 degrees out on a dewy November morning and about 1/4 mile from my house is where my accident happened. The tires had no grip and they weren't slowing my bike down when I crested a hill. Warmer tires on a warmer day would have saved me.

That'll do it. They handled good at this one place where I ride spirited at today, where the Powers didn't inspire confidence.

Tmall
04-10-2009, 11:29 PM
There's a set of 4 numbers on your tires. First 2 are the week, last two are the year. Or vice versa.

5108 means made in the third week of December of 08. If its the other way, I apologize. But, you get the idea.

TYEster
04-10-2009, 11:35 PM
LOL still no answer...

t-homo
04-11-2009, 12:00 AM
LOL still no answer...

to your question about how old is too old?

A 2 minute google search (top result for searching "motorcycle tire too old") told me to never get anything over 6-7 years old and that in general, the newer the better. That was a hell of a lot easier than posting a question on here then proceeding to make your self look extra douchey today, huh?

Amber Lamps
04-11-2009, 05:44 AM

A 2 minute google search (top result for searching "motorcycle tire too old") told me to never get anything over 6-7 years old and that in general, the newer the better. That was a hell of a lot easier than posting a question on here then proceeding to make your self look extra douchey today, huh?

Yea,but the funniest thing is that the BT-016 tires have only been out for a couple of years. That was my point about the age of the tire not having ant real impact in this case. The compound issue she was addressing was due to the difference between the OEM tires and the aftermarket buns which has nothing to do with age,as far as I know...

TYEster
04-11-2009, 10:56 AM

I guess it's just a crime to ask questions these days because it just means a bigger douche has to come along with the "use the search function" reply instead of taking those 2 minutes to post the answer.

But hey whatever works for ya!

t-homo
04-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Sorry, it irritates me when people use the forum in place of google.

TYEster
04-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Sorry, it irritates me when people use the forum in place of google.

Just to clarify - I was actually waiting for Azooms reply because I'm more inclined to trust her answer than a random one from google.

HokieDNA01
04-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Ok so I'm about to order the BT016 for the front (I use the BT021 rear) and all this talk about them being slick when cold is making me second guess my decision. I usually run BT014's but they have been discontinued. I ride in all weather conditions so I will be out in cold/hot/rain etc and want a front tire to stick. Are they really that slick?

101lifts2
04-12-2009, 02:53 AM
Just to clarify - I was actually waiting for Azooms reply because I'm more inclined to trust her answer than a random one from google.

Tye who is in ur avatar?

The BT016s are better than the BT002RS according to the Bridgestone distributor I buy my tires from. I have run stones for the last 3 years...BT002 Racing and now BT003 Racing on the street and they stick and grip very well. They usually last me 5-6 months on the street. I actually wore out this last set of BT003s to the point that being hard on the gas made them slide, but not much.

If your going to run on the street only, then you can run the 016s...but on the track, go with the 003s. Personally I like running race tires on the streets because I only do "laps", so there is no long distance done to wear out the center portion.

Amber Lamps
04-12-2009, 05:51 AM
Ok so I'm about to order the BT016 for the front (I use the BT021 rear) and all this talk about them being slick when cold is making me second guess my decision. I usually run BT014's but they have been discontinued. I ride in all weather conditions so I will be out in cold/hot/rain etc and want a front tire to stick. Are they really that slick?

It's relative bro. I'm used to the Pirelli straight out of the garage grip. The BT-016s are slower to warm up. I very much doubt that it's worse than the BT-021s. Besides,I've never had any front end problems.

TYEster
04-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Tye who is in ur avatar?

The BT016s are better than the BT002RS according to the Bridgestone distributor I buy my tires from. I have run stones for the last 3 years...BT002 Racing and now BT003 Racing on the street and they stick and grip very well. They usually last me 5-6 months on the street. I actually wore out this last set of BT003s to the point that being hard on the gas made them slide, but not much.

If your going to run on the street only, then you can run the 016s...but on the track, go with the 003s. Personally I like running race tires on the streets because I only do "laps", so there is no long distance done to wear out the center portion.

Take a guess - the Govenator.

And my issue is I don't know how much street use my bike will see. CURRENTLY I only do trackdays, and go out for fun on the weekends for the same "laps". HOWEVER if my girl loses her job AND gas shoots back up to $4 a gal, I'll be riding to work to save THUS putting me in a predicament on my next set of tires.

However I have 2CTs Pilots on there now which are fairly new. They're actually starting to wear to a point now :lol: Whereas before the moron before me who traded the bike in on a harley, decided flat and wide was a better tire choice. (190/50 :nono: )

t-homo
04-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Take a guess - the Govenator.

And my issue is I don't know how much street use my bike will see. CURRENTLY I only do trackdays, and go out for fun on the weekends for the same "laps". HOWEVER if my girl loses her job AND gas shoots back up to $4 a gal, I'll be riding to work to save THUS putting me in a predicament on my next set of tires.

However I have 2CTs Pilots on there now which are fairly new. They're actually starting to wear to a point now :lol: Whereas before the moron before me who traded the bike in on a harley, decided flat and wide was a better tire choice. (190/50 :nono: )

190/55 FTW. Tigger ran a 200/50 for a while.

TYEster
04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
190/55 FTW. Tigger ran a 200/50 for a while.

I hope so, cause last time I checked superbike tires aren't really supposed to be this flat. Ugh

Oh well, few more trackdays and maybe some burnouts will tear em up enough to justify a new set of tires.

Amber Lamps
04-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Um...who's a fucking moron? They were running and may still run a 200 series tire on the rear in World Superbike. I'm sure that YOU know better though,right Sparky?

TYEster
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Um...who's a fucking moron? They were running and may still run a 200 series tire on the rear in World Superbike. I'm sure that YOU know better though,right Sparky?

Who you talking to? lol

*I was refering to my tires btw, not yours. If you could see mine, they almost literally looked squared off when I picked my bike up. Plus I like em coming to a "sharp" point, for a quick drop in/drop down, whatever you call it. My rim is apparently made extra wide to fit the bigger tire, and thus putting a lower profile on it leaves it handling less than optimal.(or at least says the physics in my head)

Amber Lamps
04-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Who you talking to? lol

*I was refering to my tires btw, not yours. If you could see mine, they almost literally looked squared off when I picked my bike up. Plus I like em coming to a "sharp" point, for a quick drop in/drop down, whatever you call it. My rim is apparently made extra wide to fit the bigger tire, and thus putting a lower profile on it leaves it handling less than optimal.(or at least says the physics in my head)

You and you're bike isn't special. You have a 6" rim just like I do. Are you sure that you even have a ZX-10... The only tires that I've seen like that is the Stinko,I mean Shinko drag race tires.

Amber Lamps
04-12-2009, 08:29 PM

This is your ignorant post,right? Basically stating that anyone with a 190/50 on the rear is a "moron". Hey we're going to Deal's Gap next month,why don't you come on over and show us morons how to do "laps" track boy?

Amber Lamps
04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Oh and motorcycle tires aren't car tires. The manufacturers use different belt profiles/techniques which will give the tires vastly different handling qualities between brands even though the tires are the same "size".

dReWpY
04-12-2009, 09:31 PM
make sure i sit on the inside of the turn with my bowl of popcorn for this one

Amber Lamps
04-12-2009, 09:42 PM
make sure i sit on the inside of the turn with my bowl of popcorn for this one

Ha yea,I'm just busting his chops. He's probably okay but he definitely smells funny with these comments about "only doing track days" or "laps" and the my rim is wider than a "normal" bike. Btw are you going to be at the Gap on the 5th or 6th when we get there?

TYEster
04-12-2009, 09:52 PM
You and you're bike isn't special. You have a 6" rim just like I do. Are you sure that you even have a ZX-10... The only tires that I've seen like that is the Stinko,I mean Shinko drag race tires.

Wow u mad much?

TYEster
04-12-2009, 09:53 PM
This is your ignorant post,right? Basically stating that anyone with a 190/50 on the rear is a "moron". Hey we're going to Deal's Gap next month,why don't you come on over and show us morons how to do "laps" track boy?

Nope, just the guy who put the tire on and then proceeded to wear it down in the middle, thus making a giant flat spot on it. If 190/50 works for you then great. I prefer different, and pretty much if I believe its better, than chances are I'll ride better.

And no I won't go to Deals Gap because I'd rather just ride the track that's 5min from my house, than ride hard on a road I don't know and risk taking a spill. And the area would increase that risk moreso than the profile of my tire.

t-homo
04-12-2009, 09:56 PM
The special wide wheel was a pretty fuckin stupid comment, in all reality. Pretty sure every 1000cc bike has the same size wheel, which is bigger than that of a 600. Even my 2000 does.

TYEster
04-12-2009, 09:59 PM
The special wide wheel was a pretty fuckin stupid comment, in all reality. Pretty sure every 1000cc bike has the same size wheel, which is bigger than that of a 600. Even my 2000 does.

I guess, but probably moreso because I haven't ridden sportbikes in 3 years. When I picked my bike up and after reading about certain changes they've made to the bike, it seemed like the rear wheel was manufactered wider than "normal".

If it's all the same to you guys, great. I'm essentially "new" to sportbikes and riding the track as of this year. Sorry for "being ignorant" aka asking questions and making statements about the ACTUAL condition of my bike.

Amber Lamps
04-12-2009, 10:21 PM
I guess, but probably moreso because I haven't ridden sportbikes in 3 years. When I picked my bike up and after reading about certain changes they've made to the bike, it seemed like the rear wheel was manufactered wider than "normal".

If it's all the same to you guys, great. I'm essentially "new" to sportbikes and riding the track as of this year. Sorry for "being ignorant" aka asking questions and making statements about the ACTUAL condition of my bike.

Ha,there is a difference between "asking questions" and making statements like (paraphrase) "the last guy who owned my bike was a moron because he ran a 190/50" That implies that everyone with a 6'' rim ,basically ALL liter-class sportbikes,that runs that size tire (which is stock btw) is a moron! Oh and just for the record,if you indeed had a say,6.25 or 6.5 wide rear rear,it would most likely BENEFIT you to go with the 190 or 200 series tire.

IMHO there is an almost "magic" correlation between the "profile" of the rear tire and my ability to get my bike around corners. That relationship is further affected by; brand of tire,model of tire,air pressure suspension settings and wear. When I find a sweet spot that works for all of these conditions...well,it's like God has graced me for the day! I know MANY guys who claim that the 190/55 is superior to the 190/50 BUT I would always proviso a statement like that with "for my bike,riding style and conditions". With my suspension set-up,my bike already falls into corners, I don't need the help of a narrower tire to enter a corner but I do appreciate the greater contact patch of the wider tire while exiting. Since you are stuck riding a Kawasaki,I can see how you might need some help cornering....

TYEster
04-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Ha,there is a difference between "asking questions" and making statements like (paraphrase) "the last guy who owned my bike was a moron because he ran a 190/50" That implies that everyone with a 6'' rim ,basically ALL liter-class sportbikes,that runs that size tire (which is stock btw) is a moron! Oh and just for the record,if you indeed had a say,6.25 or 6.5 wide rear rear,it would most likely BENEFIT you to go with the 190 or 200 series tire.

IMHO there is an almost "magic" correlation between the "profile" of the rear tire and my ability to get my bike around corners. That relationship is further affected by; brand of tire,model of tire,air pressure suspension settings and wear. When I find a sweet spot that works for all of these conditions...well,it's like God has graced me for the day! I know MANY guys who claim that the 190/55 is superior to the 190/50 BUT I would always proviso a statement like that with "for my bike,riding style and conditions". With my suspension set-up,my bike already falls into corners, I don't need the help of a narrower tire to enter a corner but I do appreciate the greater contact patch of the wider tire while exiting. Since you are stuck riding a Kawasaki,I can see how you might need some help cornering....

LOL ok...

tommymac
04-13-2009, 01:16 AM
man after al this I feel so inadequate running a 180 tire :lol:

tom

t-homo
04-13-2009, 01:49 AM
man after al this I feel so inadequate running a 180 tire :lol:

tom

As you should.

dReWpY
04-19-2009, 05:34 PM

i do love the burn at the end:zowned:

having ridden all three in the pp or 2ct- the 190/55 seems to be a better tire for the liter bike, quicker fall in in conjuntion with the sticking power when you are coming out of the corner at wot(ish).

but for the money i run a 180/55 for touring, cheaper and easier to find

t-homo
04-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I am going to try to find a cheap set of roads or stradas for my run down to Birmingham and back.

Cutty72
04-19-2009, 11:16 PM
[/B]

i do love the burn at the end:zowned:

having ridden all three in the pp or 2ct- the 190/55 seems to be a better tire for the liter bike, quicker fall in in conjuntion with the sticking power when you are coming out of the corner at wot(ish).

but for the money i run a 180/55 for touring, cheaper and easier to find

a 190 wouldn't have fit on my bike because of exhaust clearance issues. It might now with the Drummer... but i'll just stick to stock and remember to not ham fist it when leaned full over in the corner. :panic:

Amber Lamps
04-19-2009, 11:53 PM
a 190 wouldn't have fit on my bike because of exhaust clearance issues. It might now with the Drummer... but i'll just stick to stock and remember to not ham fist it when leaned full over in the corner. :panic:

Besides, don't you have a 5.5" rear rim?

Cutty72
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Besides, don't you have a 5.5" rear rim?

Yup.