PDA

View Full Version : Bikeless *sniffle, pout*

neebelung
03-24-2008, 11:25 AM
....for a week or two anyway.

Took lil bike to the Doctor's (a friend who does all the more major work on her) yesterday. He's going to work on the carbs, try to isolate a small oil leak (replace a bunch of gaskets in the process), give her an oil change AND try to locate a new anti-freeze drip that just popped up. :no:

In the meantime, we've got spectacular weather expected all week, but since it'll take a week for the gaskets to get there, it'll be at least that long before I'm riding again.

*sigh*

Oh well.... she'll *knock on wood* be good as new when I get her back, so it's worth it.

Trip
03-24-2008, 11:25 AM
I been bikeless since the wrecks, so I feel your pain. I am waiting desperately for my rearsets, that's all I need to get back up and running again.

Rider
03-24-2008, 11:28 AM
So you have an oil leak and now a coolant leak? I'm not trying to be negative, but I hope its not a warped or cracked head. Hopefully it is just a gasket or loose bolt. Sucks to be down for a week. At least she'll should be back in shape in no time.

neebelung
03-24-2008, 11:31 AM
I been bikeless since the wrecks, so I feel your pain. I am waiting desperately for my rearsets, that's all I need to get back up and running again.

:no: And your weather is probably pretty nice already, too, isn't it?

So you have an oil leak and now a coolant leak? I'm not trying to be negative, but I hope its not a warped or cracked head. Hopefully it is just a gasket or loose bolt. Sucks to be down for a week. At least she'll should be back in shape in no time.

Nah, they don't seem to be related. He thinks the oil leak is the valve cover gasket I believe, so he's going ahead and ordering that gasket set and just replacing them all while he's in there.

The antifreeze leak LOOKS like it might just be a little crack in the reservoir, based on where/how it's dripping.

BUT, if he gets in there and it's something major, we'll just button it up and get rid of it. Not worth dumping major money into, IMO.

Trip
03-24-2008, 12:32 PM
:no: And your weather is probably pretty nice already, too, isn't it?

Yeah, it has been. It's cold today though, been kinda snowing this morning.

I want to get the bike up to the gap though. So Chewy can earn his dragon sticker.

NeonspeedRT
03-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Don't worry baby. She will be back safe and sound soon. She is in good hands at Dr. Jimmy's.

Cutty72
03-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Better to wait a week and ride in great shape, than push your luck with some marginal parts.

No Worries
03-24-2008, 01:02 PM
That's why you should keep an old bike in the garage. So you should never be bikeless. Plus, they (some of them) have character.

azoomm
03-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the nice weather Neebs... so sorry your baby isn't running well. I know ALL about cracked reservoirs, the 998s have a chronic issue with blowing the seams on the water tanks. I've replaced three so far :td:

I vote that you get a Haynes manual and learn that bike - not to start working on it NOW, but read it and learn it.

neebelung
03-25-2008, 07:51 AM
I vote that you get a Haynes manual and learn that bike - not to start working on it NOW, but read it and learn it.

Oh we've got the Haynes and the factory service manual. Really though, that bike hasn't been problematic. And it'll PROBABLY only be around for another year anyway.

LaFemmes
03-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Hi,
Sorry to hear, you can always do things around the house to keep you busy, or shop!:whistle:

neebelung
03-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Good news....

Spoke to the bike Doctor yesterday mornin'. Everything sounds like it's fine - he said all of my gaskets were in bad shape (dry, brittle), but we don't think they'd ever been replaced, so he's already got them all on order. But he said he does believe that's the reason behind the little oil leak, and doesn't see anything else that could be causing it.

Carbs are a mess; there's some valve he said is ALL gunked up, so he's got that torn apart and is working on cleaning everything out (which should reduce or eliminate that 'hiccup' she's got in first gear).

So it'll be a few more days (he thinks he had ordered the wrong spark plug gaskets, so he had to reorder those), but it sounds like she'll be coming home with a clean bill of health. If she does, then the next project is getting her some new skinz, and making her pretty.

Mr Lefty
03-29-2008, 09:59 AM
sweet! I get mine back in... 148 or so days

neebelung
03-29-2008, 10:00 AM
sweet! I get mine back in... 148 or so days

You need a little ticker for your sig!! :D

Mr Lefty
03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
You need a little ticker for your sig!! :D

well as soon as I nail down a specific date i'd planned on it... but I'm still trying to figure out when I wanna be home... I'm think'n I'll start my mid tour a little earlier than I'd originally planned (1Sep)... so probably like 24Aug... gives me a little more time before Indy to get my bike ready and shit straight.

Rider
03-31-2008, 08:15 AM
Spark plug gaskets??? Did he order the radiator bearings as well? :lol:

neebelung
03-31-2008, 08:18 AM

:gtfo: Look, this was a super technical person talking to a WAYYYYYY non technical person. I never claimed to know thing one about working on my own bike-- that's what I have Chris and Jimmy for. :lol:

There was some gasket he was saying he thought he ordered wrong, and it was in the same sentence as spark plugs... WTF do I know? :dvrofl:

Mr Lefty
03-31-2008, 08:22 AM
tell him you need also wanna upgrade from halogen headlight fluid to HID... he'll hook ya up

neebelung
03-31-2008, 08:40 AM
tell him you need also wanna upgrade from halogen headlight fluid to HID... he'll hook ya up

:dvrofl: I love that one... headlight fluid... nice... :lol:

NeonspeedRT
03-31-2008, 09:29 AM

Spark plug tube seals are what she is refering to.

However, we may have to look into the muffler bearings while we have it apart :dthumb:

azoomm
03-31-2008, 09:52 AM

I thought if you went with that you had to get flush mount fluid :skep:

:lmao: Neebs, I'm so glad your baby is getting the attention she deserves!!

neebelung
03-31-2008, 10:01 AM
:dvrofl:

Gas Man
03-31-2008, 03:23 PM
What's this antifreeze stuff? I have that on my car... its right next to the windshield washer fluid... :D

neebelung
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
What's this antifreeze stuff? I have that on my car... its right next to the windshield washer fluid... :D

:gtfo: :lol:

Rider
03-31-2008, 03:49 PM
coolant, antifreeze, tomato, tomato... :lol:

I think he's poking fun because his bike doesn't require any. :lol:

neebelung
03-31-2008, 04:14 PM
I think he's poking fun because his bike doesn't require any. :lol:

I kinda figured it was something like that. :lol:

Cutty72
03-31-2008, 04:19 PM
:neeb:

DIMford
04-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Nee, I will say high when I am over there tomorrow.

neebelung
04-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Nee, I will say high when I am over there tomorrow.

"high" :dvrofl: Was that a Freudian slip?

HOPEFULLY she'll be back up and running for this weekend... the Orlando guys are invading this weekend, and we're supposed to ride Sunday.

ceo012384
04-08-2008, 02:07 AM
HOPEFULLY she'll be back up and running for this weekend... the Orlando guys are invading this weekend, and we're supposed to ride Sunday.

Get her back? Didja ride?

neebelung
04-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Get her back? Didja ride?

Nope. The rest of the parts hadn't come in from Ron Ayers yet. HOWEVER, a friend loaned me his Busa for the ride, so I didn't have to miss it. :D

marko138
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Nope. The rest of the parts hadn't come in from Ron Ayers yet. HOWEVER, a friend loaned me his Busa for the ride, so I didn't have to miss it. :D
Busa? What did you think?

neebelung
04-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Busa? What did you think?

Strangely, I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's a big, beefy bike, but it's like riding a Cadillac... SO comfy and smooth. I have to admit, I was intimidated at first, just because it's (obviously) the biggest displacement bike I've ever ridden (other than the Mean Streak I demo'd last year), but I actually had a LOT of fun with it.

I posted up quite a bit about it on my ride blog. :D

marko138
04-08-2008, 09:59 AM
Nice. Was your blog super wordy? Cuz I probly didn't read it if it was. :sorry:

neebelung
04-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Nice. Was your blog super wordy? Cuz I probly didn't read it if it was. :sorry:

:lol: Yup, sure as hell was. (I used to do quite a bit of writing... consumer reviews, articles, etc... so it's my nature to be a bit wordy :lol: :sorry:)

Ok, the Busa in short: big, wide, heavy and super comfortable. My initial reaction was "Why the hell do people slam and stretch these bikes!" because for as big as it is, it handles really, really nicely. At no point did I feel like I had to manhandle it or really TRY to make it do anything (even though it's got 80 lbs on my lil ZX6R).

The instrument cluster is like a freakin CAR: really well laid out, easy to read and lots of information. It has a freakin clock :lol: (look, I don't even have a fuel light or gauge, so this was a big deal to me :lol: ).

What's dangerous about a bike of this size (displacement I mean) is that it's REALLY quiet and the power is so smooth that it's easy to haul ass without FEELING it. 110 on the freeway felt more like 70 or 75. You've got so much wind protection that you're not getting beat up at all, and the bike doesn't sound or feel like it's working hard, so speed is deceiving.

I dunno that I'd want it for a daily rider, just cus it IS so big, but when we start looking for a sport tourer, something comfy we can slap some hard bags on? Yeah, it's on the list, definitely.

marko138
04-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Good information. I also do not have a fuel light or gauge. When she sputters I know I'm about out. :lol:

neebelung
04-08-2008, 10:12 AM
:lol: Yeah my fuel gauge is opening the tank and looking in... can I see gas? Cool. Can't see it? Guess I'd better fill up (that, and I go by my trip odometer).

Cutty72
04-08-2008, 12:27 PM
I have a Clock, a fuel light, a seperate odomoter that keeps track of miles traveled since the fuel light came on, an instant MPG and an average MPG guage. :wink:

dReWpY
04-08-2008, 02:57 PM
does it come with a bj too...

neebelung
04-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I have a Clock, a fuel light, a seperate odomoter that keeps track of miles traveled since the fuel light came on, an instant MPG and an average MPG guage. :wink:

Does that come with dual front, and side impact airbags, too? :lol:

Cutty72
04-08-2008, 03:04 PM
does it come with a bj too...

orgasm, yes... not so much bj though

Does that come with dual front, and side impact airbags, too? :lol:

I think you could fit a front airbag in there... not so much on the sides though :lol:

ceo012384
04-10-2008, 11:13 PM
And the most ridiculous front fairing available on any modern motorcycle.

Cutty72
04-11-2008, 11:18 AM
And the most ridiculous front fairing available on any modern motorcycle.

But damn is it nice for blockin the wind.

I'm actually anxious to get this in some wind on the highway. With a double bubble, I don't think you'd hardly have to tuck.

Trip
04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
I am not bikeless anymore, hoorah!

neebelung
04-11-2008, 12:02 PM
I am not bikeless anymore, hoorah!

:tt: Yeah rub it in my face.....

Still bikeless.... hopefully will get her back early next week.

NeonspeedRT
04-11-2008, 12:12 PM
:tt: Yeah rub it in my face.....

Still bikeless.... hopefully will get her back early next week.

And she will be better then ever :rockwoot:

Cutty72
04-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I have 2 bikes, sittin in the garage, begging to be ridden...

and then snow outside... :fu2:

vabarber2
04-11-2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I have one in the garage and one at the dealership waiting to be picked up and im still stuck in this hell hole!

the chi
04-11-2008, 04:22 PM
:lol: Yup, sure as hell was. (I used to do quite a bit of writing... consumer reviews, articles, etc... so it's my nature to be a bit wordy :lol: :sorry:)

Ok, the Busa in short: big, wide, heavy and super comfortable. My initial reaction was "Why the hell do people slam and stretch these bikes!" because for as big as it is, it handles really, really nicely. At no point did I feel like I had to manhandle it or really TRY to make it do anything (even though it's got 80 lbs on my lil ZX6R).

The instrument cluster is like a freakin CAR: really well laid out, easy to read and lots of information. It has a freakin clock :lol: (look, I don't even have a fuel light or gauge, so this was a big deal to me :lol: ).

What's dangerous about a bike of this size (displacement I mean) is that it's REALLY quiet and the power is so smooth that it's easy to haul ass without FEELING it. 110 on the freeway felt more like 70 or 75. You've got so much wind protection that you're not getting beat up at all, and the bike doesn't sound or feel like it's working hard, so speed is deceiving.

I dunno that I'd want it for a daily rider, just cus it IS so big, but when we start looking for a sport tourer, something comfy we can slap some hard bags on? Yeah, it's on the list, definitely.

thank you, glad to see im not the only one who can appreciate these beasts while not riding one regularly! :dthumb:

neebelung
04-11-2008, 04:23 PM
thank you, glad to see im not the only one who can appreciate these beasts while not riding one regularly! :dthumb:

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot. Might be ridin it again this weekend, too... :D

ceo012384
04-11-2008, 08:04 PM

I'm actually anxious to get this in some wind on the highway. With a double bubble, I don't think you'd hardly have to tuck.
That's one benefit of it I can't argue with.

Mr Lefty
04-11-2008, 11:37 PM
I got 134 days!:tt:

marko138
04-12-2008, 09:48 PM

Shit...with a DB you could stand up on the seat and still be straight.