PDA

View Full Version : 96 suzuki katana 600

baby Ray
04-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Gettn ready to change tha oil, does anyone know the correct amout it holds, I don't have the manual. Thanks, Baby:idk:

JoJoYZF
04-15-2009, 11:06 PM
http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/GSX600F-numbers.shtml

This says 4.7 liters. Id try that and just watch the level when filling it just in case its a little off.

BobTheBiker
04-16-2009, 02:49 AM
Remember, you're probably not going to get the full amount in until you've started it to put some into that HUGE ASS oil cooler the katanas have. you know how damned big that bitch is? looks like the water cooler on my 1000R.

baby Ray
04-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the info, yeah that oil cooler cost more than a small yacht, thought i was going to have to replace it, just a loose nut:rockwoot:

marko138
04-16-2009, 09:25 AM
My 750 GSXR took 4 quarts...but you can't drain the oil cooler (easily)...so probly more like just shy of 3.5 qts.

Gas Man
04-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Too bad they don't hv an oil scavenger system for rice. I just got a new one for my new hd twin cam... that would allow you to flush the oil cooler
look up rogue scavenger complete oil change system..

baby Ray
04-16-2009, 01:35 PM
One thing for sure changing oil in the machine is a pain in the ass, had to remove headers, what's up with that. You would think things would be easy. I like easy :wtf:

BobTheBiker
04-16-2009, 02:20 PM
Want easy? I'll build you an old GPZ1000. oil changes are easy. changing exhausts and other items..... not so much.

marko138
04-16-2009, 02:44 PM
One thing for sure changing oil in the machine is a pain in the ass, had to remove headers, what's up with that. You would think things would be easy. I like easy :wtf:
Remove headers? No way. Shouldn't have to. I'm guessing it's b/c of the oil filter. You should be able to get to it w/o removing headers. Put some foil down to reduce the amount of oil that drips all over the place.

JoJoYZF
04-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Remove headers? No way. Shouldn't have to. I'm guessing it's b/c of the oil filter. You should be able to get to it w/o removing headers. Put some foil down to reduce the amount of oil that drips all over the place.

Thats kinda how mine is. Someone on my bike specific forum suggested using a piece of pvc thats cut in half long way to drip it over the headers instead of on them. It works great.

baby Ray
04-17-2009, 12:05 AM

maybe these are not stock pipes but no way that filter was coming off, still had thread to go and was tight against the pipes

marko138
04-17-2009, 09:30 AM
maybe these are not stock pipes but no way that filter was coming off, still had thread to go and was tight against the pipes
It should slide right between cylinders 3 and 4. Barely but it should. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust? Actually...mine was a full Vance and Hines...so I did have aftermarket headers.

ZUKIMON
04-18-2009, 12:20 AM
My '03 Can-a-tuna held 1 gallon (4 quarts) exactly. :) It was a 600, btw. Been told time and time again, that more or less, for every 1000 ml that is listed on the case cover, it's basicaly a quart of oil. That's been damned close thus far.