PDA

View Full Version : John Madden retires

Lucky3623
04-16-2009, 12:12 PM
NBC broadcaster John Madden retires

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090416/ap_on_en_tv/fbn_madden_retires

NEW YORK – John Madden, the burly former coach who has been one of pro football's most popular broadcast analysts for three decades, is calling it quits.

Madden worked for the past three seasons on NBC's Sunday night NFL game. His last telecast was the Super Bowl between Arizona and Pittsburgh.

"It's time," Madden said. "I'm 73 years old. My 50th wedding anniversary is this fall. I have two great sons and their families and their five grandchildren are at an age now when they know when I'm home and, more importantly, when I'm not."

Madden said he still loves all aspects of the game and his job, and that's why it took him a couple of months to make the decision.

Rider
04-16-2009, 12:18 PM
He will be missed. I liked his broadcasts.

6doublefive321
04-16-2009, 01:58 PM
Thank God. Now if Phil "flip-flop" Simms, Chris "look at the size of my neck" Collinsworth, and Ron "I'm hooked on uppers" Jaworski would all die in a fiery plane crash, football would be more enjoyable.

Dave
04-16-2009, 02:03 PM
prolly a little spooked by harry kalas's untimely passing

t-homo
04-16-2009, 04:30 PM
He'll be back. He's pulling a Brett Favre.

6doublefive321
04-16-2009, 08:21 PM
prolly a little spooked by harry kalas's untimely passing

Kalas was a dying breed, no pun intended. Kalas and the old school guys understood that the game on the field is the focus of the broadcast, not how cutting edge the announcer can be. Not many of those guys left today.

baby Ray
04-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I tell you them commentators piss me off to no end, I'm like get your azz out there if you can do anybetter:rockwoot:

t-homo
04-17-2009, 01:46 AM
A lot of them did, back in their day.

tommymac
04-17-2009, 01:49 AM
Thank God. Now if Phil "flip-flop" Simms, Chris "look at the size of my neck" Collinsworth, and Ron "I'm hooked on uppers" Jaworski would all die in a fiery plane crash, football would be more enjoyable.

dont forget my favorites, joe theisman and paul mcguire. Sun night games were soooooooo painful listening to them 2. I wished LT had snapped theismans vocal chords instead of his leg.

Tom

bmblebee
04-17-2009, 07:37 AM
People seem to forget his coaching. Madden won 100 games in 10 years when the seasons were only 12 games. I believe he was the first

tommymac
04-17-2009, 08:35 AM
I didnt forget, its tough being a raiders fan, it stunk tha the retired so early, but the fear of flying did him in. However as an announcer he was a babbling idiot. Seemed like there were 2 or 3 guys who he would basically suck their dicks each season, and would just go on and on about them

Tom

Lucky3623
04-17-2009, 11:21 AM
I loved Madden, just can't stand to listen to him... One of these days someone is going to teach that man how to speak in full complete sentences, and how to get to the point in less than 400 words and a telestrator.

the chi
04-17-2009, 01:35 PM
I cant even think about Madden without hearing Frank Caliendo in my head...:lol:

Amorok
04-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm so glad John Madden is done, him retiring is the next best thing to him dying. I'm sick of the guy going on and on about the few players he picks to beat off to every year, and how little sense his marking on the freeze frame makes. I'm also tired of his repeating stuff incessantly that my two year old has figured out and dismissed as unimportant. Goodbye Captain Obvious, and good riddance.