PDA

View Full Version : New oil spot in the garage.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-17-2009, 06:50 PM
I took my brakes off today in prep for chging my caliper out and setting up the SS lines on monday, and decided while I was at it i'd change the oil as well. So i get the bike purring to warm the oil up a bit, and get all the stuff i need together to change the oil. or so i thought. After 10 mins of idling I shut her down and cracked the seal on the drain plug and then went to grab my oil pan...

Shit, where did i put my oil pan? after frantically running around my estate looking for ANYTHING to drain the oil into i realize i forgot to re-seal the drain plug, and sure enough i have a 4 inch oil stain right under the bike.

It sucks when u get halfway through a project and realize you dont have the proper tools.

azoomm
04-17-2009, 08:14 PM
DOH!! :panic:

zed
04-17-2009, 08:30 PM
PPPPFFFFFTTTTTT after pulling the head and doing fork seals I've got several new oil spots.

get some of this if you want the stain gone.
http://www.pour-n-restore.com/

http://www.pour-n-restore.com/buttons/ContainerBuy.jpg

Yamerhaw
04-17-2009, 11:15 PM
"new oil spot in the garage"

damn, thought you were gonna say you bought a Harley or something

NONE_too_SOFT
04-17-2009, 11:20 PM

nah, that thread would read "new paperweight in the garage".

Cutty72
04-18-2009, 12:00 AM
Just shows you actually work on stuff yourself.

I have many.

Though if you leave floor dry (or kitty litter) on it for awhile, most of it will go away.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-18-2009, 12:13 AM
i got it before it could really set in for the most part. just hate when u hit a snag on a project cause u dont have the right tool.

Cutty72
04-18-2009, 12:16 AM
i got it before it could really set in for the most part. just hate when u hit a snag on a project cause u dont have the right tool.

When starting a job.

1. Identify the tools required to finish the project
2. Set said tools out (or at least know where they are)
3. Do job
4. Clean tools and return to proper location for next usage.

Gas Man
04-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Earnin that sig Cutty

Amber Lamps
04-18-2009, 06:10 AM
PPPPFFFFFTTTTTT after pulling the head and doing fork seals I've got several new oil spots.

get some of this if you want the stain gone.
http://www.pour-n-restore.com/

http://www.pour-n-restore.com/buttons/ContainerBuy.jpg

Yea or ...:lol:

NONE_too_SOFT
04-18-2009, 06:26 AM
When starting a job.

3. Do job

You might as well be reminding me "right tighty lefty loosy"... You've never made a mistake when following the golden rule? The only tool i've lost in 2 years is a single bit for my screw driver.

Tmall
04-18-2009, 07:08 AM
You might as well be reminding me "right tighty lefty loosy"... You've never made a mistake when following the golden rule? The only tool i've lost in 2 years is a single bit for my screw driver.

Wish I could say the same. I live with a roomate. I can't find half my sockets and my cordless drill smells like its fried..

tommymac
04-18-2009, 07:17 AM
I have numerous spots in the carport, with the dry sump set up on th epriller I prety much always wind up spilling a litttle somewhere :idk:

Tom

Cutty72
04-18-2009, 09:59 PM

Not saying I've never gotten into a job and not had the right tool. But I have always had the obvious ones I knew I would need ready and available.

How do you start changing oil without an catch pan?

NONE_too_SOFT
04-19-2009, 06:46 AM
After 10 mins of idling I shut her down and cracked the seal on the drain plug and then went to grab my oil pan...

I hate it when i have to quote myself.

I Keep it in one spot that its never moved from.that way. I always have it when i need it, I didnt start without one, i started not knowing my dad used it the week prior and had left it in the utility sink in the basement after disposing of his old oil.

bmblebee
04-19-2009, 07:36 PM

The only tool I've lost in the last 30 years was a craftsman 9/16 wrench I was stupid enough to let someone borrow

Mr Lefty
04-19-2009, 07:57 PM
that sucks... but thanks for reminding me I need to change my oil... :D

oh... and just wondering... what do you guys do with your oil after? where do you guys take it? I had a place in AK... haven't looked into it here in MS yet

t-homo
04-19-2009, 08:08 PM
O'reillys

zed
04-19-2009, 08:27 PM
bike shop.

the last one was getting like $1.00/gal when the waste oil people showed up.

Cutty72
04-19-2009, 11:27 PM

oh... and just wondering... what do you guys do with your oil after? where do you guys take it? I had a place in AK... haven't looked into it here in MS yet

any auto dealership or oil change place will take it. I think they are required to actually.

And NTS... that 10 min of idle time is a good time to find your shit... just trying to help

tached1000rr
04-19-2009, 11:33 PM
I would never crack the oil drain bolt unless the pan is right there under it. But nevertheless no biggie.

Cutty72
04-19-2009, 11:45 PM
I would never crack the oil drain bolt unless the pan is right there under it. But nevertheless no biggie.

That was kinda my point.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-20-2009, 12:18 AM
any auto dealership or oil change place will take it. I think they are required to actually.

And NTS... that 10 min of idle time is a good time to find your shit... just trying to help

Its also a good time to sip a beer after work and enjoy the first day in ohio that has eclipsed 70 degrees. quit bustin my balls.

tommymac
04-20-2009, 12:25 AM
The only tool I've lost in the last 30 years was a craftsman 9/16 wrench I was stupid enough to let someone borrow

Now thats prety impressive. Earlier this year I lost an extension and 2 allen sockets. I was doing some last minute work on my track bike while its on the trailer, I left the tools there then drove to the track:panic: we looked around the side streets the following day but they were nowhere to be found :(

Tom

Amber Lamps
04-20-2009, 12:52 AM
Now thats prety impressive. Earlier this year I lost an extension and 2 allen sockets. I was doing some last minute work on my track bike while its on the trailer, I left the tools there then drove to the track:panic: we looked around the side streets the following day but they were nowhere to be found :(

Tom

Fuck don't get me started... I've lost TWO God damn cordless impacts in the last couple years! :panic: Not to mention ladders, hammers, vise grips, gear wrenches, etc.....

tommymac
04-20-2009, 01:02 AM
Fuck don't get me started... I've lost TWO God damn cordless impacts in the last couple years! :panic: Not to mention ladders, hammers, vise grips, gear wrenches, etc.....

damn, all that from misplacing stuff or lending it out only to never see it again?

tom

t-homo
04-20-2009, 01:03 AM
My dad lost a ramp to his trailer when he forgot to put em back a couple years ago. 6 miles down the country road later, he thought about it, but could only find one. lol.

Amber Lamps
04-20-2009, 01:14 AM
damn, all that from misplacing stuff or lending it out only to never see it again?

tom

Ah I work as a service tech and am rushing around all day and just fucking forget shit! No excuses. Some hand tools are from "borrowers" though.

Particle Man
05-01-2009, 04:01 PM
I wish I had a nickle for every oil stain I've cleaned up on my garage floor :lol: I'd be able to redo the thing

racedoll
05-03-2009, 09:54 PM

I was waiting to hear the same thing.

When starting a job.

3. Do job

This would make it all too easy!

Me too, needing to change oil. We have Autozone in OH so I just take it there... or to work.