PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions...

upshift
03-24-2008, 05:34 PM
I just found this listed on craigslist:

2000 Kawasaki Ninja 250. Has some cosmetic damage and needs a little engine work. Runs great though. Fast bike for any beginner. Large Fulmer helmet with mirror visor. I ride this bike everywhere its so fun. Will run as is anywhere. But if you was to fix the minor engine problems it would run REAL fast. I think the only thing it needs is valves adjusted. I called Rose Kawasaki in Fort Oglethorpe GA and they said it would only cost $170 for a full valve job. I was asking 1500 for he bike but since it does need the valves adjusted and a little minor cosmetic things im selling it at $1200 FIRM. Serious buyers only please. Will deliver within reasonable range.

The pics of the bike look decent (looks like its 8 yrs old) but Im not worried about that. what I really want to know is if you guys think it would be worth it to spend $1200 plus the $170 for the valve adjustments or just find another bike.

Mr Lefty
03-24-2008, 06:01 PM
I think your gay... oh... not the opinion your looking for? :idk:

it might be worth it... but check the bike out... it may need new tires, and I'd be leary of anyone discribing a 250 as running "real fast" :2cents:

upshift
03-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah thanks for being an ass to a legit post.

6doublefive321
03-24-2008, 06:29 PM
On the surface, it appears the owner knows squat about bikes. I would be weary of it. What was the stated mileage? Also, $170 is most likely for a valve adjustment, not a full valve "job".

Crazy
03-24-2008, 06:39 PM
first off yeah this guy sounds like an idiot... if he's talking about a ninja 250 going REAL fast :lol:... also the valve adjustment could be an easy fix, and you should do it yourself (170 is a huge ripoff).

1200... idk say you have 1000 cash and see where it goes. but be cautious on this one, doesnt seem like the best deal considering you could probably find a clean one for around 1500 :idk:

upshift
03-24-2008, 06:50 PM
found one for $1700 but if i could get this one for $1200 and it be good then Id do that. I emailed him but he hasnt got back yet. But yeah Im being really cautious right now. and for those wondering, I was scheduled to get a 250 TODAY but something came up so I have to look for one on my own now.

Mr Lefty
03-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah thanks for being an ass to a legit post.

the second half of my post was legit...

upshift
03-24-2008, 06:52 PM
the second half of my post was legit...

Tru dat. I dont take lightly to being called a fag tho.

Mr Lefty
03-24-2008, 06:57 PM

why? it's not that big a deal... it was a joke... you should know that by now...

even if it wasn't a joke... someone on the internet called ya a name... so what :idk:

OTB
03-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Me, personally....I'd go find another bike. You dont't say how much milage, but those Ninja twofiddys were built with the idea of no maintenance. I doubt it just needs it's valves adjusted....if it's running so crappy that it's noticable, it likely has other issues. Do you want to ride...or work on bikes? At the price he's asking, I'm betteing you are looking at a whole lot more than a valve adjustment. This is all without seeing the bike....so take it for what it's worth.

Me, if I were a beginner, I'd find something I could ride first.

Mr Lefty
03-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Me, personally....I'd go find another bike. You dont't say how much milage, but those Ninja twofiddys were built with the idea of no maintenance. I doubt it just needs it's valves adjusted....if it's running so crappy that it's noticable, it likely has other issues. Do you want to ride...or work on bikes? At the price he's asking, I'm betteing you are looking at a whole lot more than a valve adjustment. This is all without seeing the bike....so take it for what it's worth.

the man has spoken... make it so

Crazy
03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
EBBS IS A FLAMING NUTMUNCHER.

tru dat ^^^^

even if u can get it for 1200 you'll prolly spend the difference getting it rideable.

Mr Lefty
03-24-2008, 09:48 PM
EBBS IS A FLAMING NUTMUNCHER.

tru dat ^^^^

even if u can get it for 1200 you'll prolly spend the difference getting it rideable.

shut the fuck up you cockgobbleing midget...

upshift
03-24-2008, 09:54 PM
I just got an email back from another guy that had one posted and apparently its the same bike I looked at about a week ago at a local dealer. I was told that it was sold but I guess not, and he dropped the price too! Maybe I can get it this time.

Crazy
03-24-2008, 10:48 PM
what about a new 250?

upshift
03-24-2008, 11:08 PM
what about a new 250?

I cant afford the $3600 they want for one, financed or not. There was something come up in my finances that I didnt know Id have to pay so Im out of alot of money. I would get one if I could tho, that was my plan for today.

Mr Lefty
03-24-2008, 11:15 PM
really... I'd hold off and wait. as OTB said... it sounds like it may need more work than just a valve adjustment. I'd hate to see you spend your money that's already tight on a bike that's gonna cost you more in the end because of repairs.

it's your money though... all I can say is Don't get wrapped up in THIS bike... there are thousands of them out there if you pass on this one. never fall in love with a bike or any vehicle for that matter... till you've already purchased it... it'll save ya some heartache

upshift
03-24-2008, 11:20 PM
really... I'd hold off and wait. as OTB said... it sounds like it may need more work than just a valve adjustment. I'd hate to see you spend your money that's already tight on a bike that's gonna cost you more in the end because of repairs.

it's your money though... all I can say is Don't get wrapped up in THIS bike... there are thousands of them out there if you pass on this one. never fall in love with a bike or any vehicle for that matter... till you've already purchased it... it'll save ya some heartache

Yeah I am VERY money conscious and I make sure I keep a certain amount with me. Im not going to get something that I think will hurt me in the long run. I may be going to look at the other bike tomorrow just to see it again. The guy had wrecked it and messed up the right fairing a little but nothing really bad. The only thing Im worried about is that he bent the front rim and I want to find out if the forks or fork seals are damaged.

Mr Lefty
03-24-2008, 11:25 PM
Yeah I am VERY money conscious and I make sure I keep a certain amount with me. Im not going to get something that I think will hurt me in the long run. I may be going to look at the other bike tomorrow just to see it again. The guy had wrecked it and messed up the right fairing a little but nothing really bad. The only thing Im worried about is that he bent the front rim and I want to find out if the forks or fork seals are damaged.

humm... how is the rim bent? like tweaked side to side? bent the lip? :idk:

upshift
03-24-2008, 11:29 PM
humm... how is the rim bent? like tweaked side to side? bent the lip? :idk:

It was so bad they had to replace it. No pics of the damage but when I went to look at it the first time at the dealer I looked over ther seals and the frame and everything seemed fine. The guy that has it now is the original owner so Im going to ask him some more questions about what all was done.

Mr Lefty
03-24-2008, 11:32 PM
ok... cause if it was just the lip I can understand... but if it was bent side to side... I'd think that amount of force would also tweak the forks as well as possibly the frame... :idk: but I don't know much when it comes to that... just a guess

upshift
03-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Any idea how to check a frames straightness? Im guessing as long as it doesnt affect riding it will be okay. I had one of my friends come with me the first time and he said it looked fine. I want to be sure tho.

Smittie61984
03-24-2008, 11:37 PM
You can find much better deals than that with a Ninja 250.

Which have you considered other bikes? I got a 1994 Yamaha SecaII that had an Air Cooled 600cc I-4 with about 60hp. It was my 1st bike then become the 1st bike of two more people. Both of whom have wrecked it and the bike is still going strong. I paid $1500 for it with that being a little much. I've seen them for cheaper but at that time I had no choice but that bike since I couldn't get financed.

And even though it was a 600cc it wasn't that fast. For about an 1/8th or so it ran with a stock 350z(Non-Nismo) and then the 350z would walk away from it. Did great highway and got 70mpg highway and 50mpg if you ran hard everywhere you went. Here is video from my 1st month of riding(I know you love the gear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1VCVN4UZ30

Good luck with your search.

Mr Lefty
03-24-2008, 11:38 PM
not I... but I'm sure someone can chime in and tell ya

upshift
03-24-2008, 11:52 PM
You can find much better deals than that with a Ninja 250.

Which have you considered other bikes? I got a 1994 Yamaha SecaII that had an Air Cooled 600cc I-4 with about 60hp. It was my 1st bike then become the 1st bike of two more people. Both of whom have wrecked it and the bike is still going strong. I paid $1500 for it with that being a little much. I've seen them for cheaper but at that time I had no choice but that bike since I couldn't get financed.

And even though it was a 600cc it wasn't that fast. For about an 1/8th or so it ran with a stock 350z(Non-Nismo) and then the 350z would walk away from it. Did great highway and got 70mpg highway and 50mpg if you ran hard everywhere you went. Here is video from my 1st month of riding(I know you love the gear)

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the imput but my mom is really not comfortable with me even getting a 250 right now but I want to start small so that maybe she will let me get something bigger in the near future with no problems. To tell the truth, if she wasnt so restrictive I would be trying to get an F4i or something if i could afford it.

OneSickPsycho
03-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Another option would be to start charging for blowjobs...

upshift
03-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Another option would be to start charging for blowjobs...

To convince my mom to let me get a bigger bike? :lol:

OneSickPsycho
03-25-2008, 12:07 AM
To convince my mom to let me get a bigger bike? :lol:

I'll let your mom blow me if you think it'll help.

marko138
03-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Run run run from this bike. You don't want these problems.

upshift
03-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Im going to go look at another one instead. Hopefully I will be able to get this one. Wish me luck! :rockwoot:

Cutty72
03-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Good luck

I just sold a very clean 06 250 for $2000.
Use that as referance.

upshift
03-25-2008, 04:08 PM
Good luck

I just sold a very clean 06 250 for $2000.
Use that as referance.

fnfalman
03-25-2008, 04:15 PM
I bought a 2001 with 8000-miles and some cracked plastics for $1000. The bike ran sweet and makes some badass sounds with the Yoshimura 2-in-1 exhaust that came with it.

DLIT
03-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Fag. Get a new 250R.

upshift
03-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Fag. Get a new 250R.

U call everyone that tho :idk: I dont have the money. Want to loan me about 2 grand? :lol:

Duke238
03-26-2008, 06:05 PM
I would say hold off. My bro.... ebbs15 gave me that advise when I thought I had found a couple of bikes that were comparable with what your looking at. I decided to wait and found a newer one with a lot less miles, and nothing wrong with it. It’s my first bike and it’s a '03 Ninja 250 I paid $1500 for it. And it had less then 12k on it.

upshift
03-26-2008, 08:54 PM
I would say hold off. My bro.... ebbs15 gave me that advise when I thought I had found a couple of bikes that were comparable with what your looking at. I decided to wait and found a newer one with a lot less miles, and nothing wrong with it. It’s my first bike and it’s a '03 Ninja 250 I paid $1500 for it. And it had less then 12k on it.

The one Im looking at now is an '06 for $1700. Im going to take a look at it tomorrow. Wish me luck :dthumb:

Smittie61984
03-26-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the imput but my mom is really not comfortable with me even getting a 250 right now but I want to start small so that maybe she will let me get something bigger in the near future with no problems. To tell the truth, if she wasnt so restrictive I would be trying to get an F4i or something if i could afford it.

My parents weren't either. They just found it in the Garage when they came back from Vacation. Then when I got my New F3 my mom looked at the Spedomter and saw 175MPH on it and freaked.

You could trick your parents and get a DRZ400. Make them think it's a dirtbike until they see you laying Blackies in the twisties.

Good luck with the hunt.

upshift
03-26-2008, 10:06 PM
My parents weren't either. They just found it in the Garage when they came back from Vacation. Then when I got my New F3 my mom looked at the Spedomter and saw 175MPH on it and freaked.

You could trick your parents and get a DRZ400. Make them think it's a dirtbike until they see you laying Blackies in the twisties.

Good luck with the hunt.

Yeah Ive thought about it but ur lucky to find DRZs for under $5k.

Full Throttle
03-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Dude Upshift you just need to go get that brand new 2007 up at Griffiths Kawasaki... its brand new with a 2yr warranty for 2600 or 2700... cant get much better come on... stop looking at the broke, possibly framebent, needing engine work bikes... besides your mom would feel better if you had one that looked good and didnt look like it was going to fall apart...shes not going to like it and never let you ride it if it looks like crap...

upshift
03-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Dude Upshift you just need to go get that brand new 2007 up at Griffiths Kawasaki... its brand new with a 2yr warranty for 2600 or 2700... cant get much better come on... stop looking at the broke, possibly framebent, needing engine work bikes... besides your mom would feel better if you had one that looked good and didnt look like it was going to fall apart...shes not going to like it and never let you ride it if it looks like crap...

I dont have the money man. As much as Id like to I cant. Cars arent cheap u know. Plus the one Im looking at just has some rash on the right fairing and the guy said that nothing happened to the wheel like the guy at the shop said. Im headed down there today to take a look at it.

upshift
03-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Its official. As far as Im concerned this bike is mine. Unless something comes up... 2006 Ninja250 8000 miles for $1650 :rockwoot:

Trip
03-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Its official. As far as Im concerned this bike is mine. Unless something comes up... 2006 Ninja250 8000 miles for $1650 :rockwoot:

awesome, now you have to come to the rally.

upshift
03-28-2008, 09:28 AM
awesome, now you have to come to the rally.

Yep looks like it :lol:

Cutty72
03-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Good deal! :nana2:

Crazy
03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
so wtf happened...

upshift
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
so wtf happened...

Id rather not talk about it...fucking banks...maybe its not meant for me to have a bike cus every time i try to get one SOMETHING STOPS ME...i give the fuck up...

Trip
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Credit issues? Don't feel bad, I had to have a cosigner when I bought my first bike and I really didnt even need a loan, could of bought it straight up with cash. The way our credit system works is fucked up.

upshift
04-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Credit issues? Don't feel bad, I had to have a cosigner when I bought my first bike and I really didnt even need a loan, could of bought it straight up with cash. The way our credit system works is fucked up.

Yeah...Im just going to stop telling people Im getting a bike when I see a possibility no matter how good the chances of me getting it are...

Trip
04-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Just save money, you put your mind to it and stop doing certain things that cost money and put that money to the side and just make sacrifices, you can get that bike with straight up cash.

upshift
04-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Just save money, you put your mind to it and stop doing certain things that cost money and put that money to the side and just make sacrifices, you can get that bike with straight up cash.

Yeah thats what im going to have to do...banks dont like to give out money...

marko138
04-02-2008, 09:37 AM
Thats too bad man. Just save those pennies. It'll happen.

Smittie61984
04-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Yeah Ive thought about it but ur lucky to find DRZs for under $5k.

When I first looked into bikes I was looking into Dual Sports. I found some DRZ400s for fairly cheap used. Usually beat to hell looking but one thing about Dual Sport riders is they seem to take care of their bikes even when they beat them to hell. A lot better than I take care of my street bike.

But good luck on the hunt. I'll keep my eye out for some street bikes. (What was your budget and would you be open to more than a 250).

Oh. Another buddy of mine almost picked up a 2006 GSXR1000 for $2000. It was a totaled bike but was only totaled because of the fairing damage. Frame, rims, forks, engine, etc were perfect. I can see if it's still available for you. Just kidding. I think it was one of those friend's friend's knew a friend type deal.

upshift
04-06-2008, 09:50 PM
When I first looked into bikes I was looking into Dual Sports. I found some DRZ400s for fairly cheap used. Usually beat to hell looking but one thing about Dual Sport riders is they seem to take care of their bikes even when they beat them to hell. A lot better than I take care of my street bike.

But good luck on the hunt. I'll keep my eye out for some street bikes. (What was your budget and would you be open to more than a 250).

Oh. Another buddy of mine almost picked up a 2006 GSXR1000 for $2000. It was a totaled bike but was only totaled because of the fairing damage. Frame, rims, forks, engine, etc were perfect. I can see if it's still available for you. Just kidding. I think it was one of those friend's friend's knew a friend type deal.

Yeah if you find anything throw it my way. Im looking for a 250, SV650, CBR F4i/F4/F3, Katana for around $2000-$3000. Im finally getting all my financial stuff sorted out so maybe this time I can actually get one. Id take that Gixxer1000, I can only ride whatever I get around the neighborhood right now anyways. Id get plenty of practice :lol:.

marko138
04-07-2008, 09:52 AM
I know of a beautiful 1992 GSXR 750 that can be had for cheap.

upshift
04-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Is it pink? :lol:

Mr Lefty
04-07-2008, 10:03 PM
dude... pink or not... that's a bad ass bike...

marko is what makes it gay

upshift
04-07-2008, 10:18 PM

Oh I know I just didnt know if it was his or not :lol:

marko138
04-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Is it pink? :lol:

Uh...right now it is. That can be easily changed.

Fag.

upshift
04-08-2008, 06:47 PM
750 may be a little too much for me. Plus ur like 2000 miles away :lol:

byron12
04-09-2008, 02:56 AM

Dude don't be a pussy I've got a truck lets go get it wheter are not you survive is not dependent on the size of the bike besides you have dirt bike experience and its damn near twenty years old. And you won't have to go into debt which is definitly a bad idea for a first motorcycle. And we also have been following Markos incredible upkeep for years and you Have Otb to vouch for it too because he has seen it in person. I am hearby doing the unthinkable and encouraging a teenager that I don't even know to buy a gsx-r 750 but one must examine each situation differently and that is my humble opinion on this matter. Also move out of moms house so you can do what you want. I will drive you to PA though to buy it if you want say the word dude I am all about it; I'm a flaky motherfucker though so give me a months notice so I can ask off work and explain to my wife.

t-homo
04-09-2008, 03:00 AM

I am hoping to get a 97 750 for my bike and 6-800 cash. My bike is only worth 1800 or so but am going to tell the guy mine is worth more. He traded my neighbor something for it and is deathly afraid of it now. So he is down for trading me for a smaller bike. And he's like 45-50.

Quick281
04-09-2008, 03:16 AM
I am hoping to get a 97 750 for my bike and 6-800 cash. My bike is only worth 1800 or so but am going to tell the guy mine is worth more. He traded my neighbor something for it and is deathly afraid of it now. So he is down for trading me for a smaller bike. And he's like 45-50.

Sometimes opportunity knocks.

I got my 06 600 for 4000$ with 3k miles with some minor fairing damage, and a free jacket with minor matching damage on the arm. Seller even gave me most of the new oem parts to fix the bike. The kid that owned it laid it down in a gas station parking lot and then got scared of it.

If this deal hadn't popped up, I doubt I would have gotten into bikes in the next 3 years with me moving into a heavy traffic city with 0 space to practice.

t-homo
04-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Sometimes opportunity knocks.

I got my 06 600 for 4000$ with 3k miles with some minor fairing damage, and a free jacket with minor matching damage on the arm. Seller even gave me most of the new oem parts to fix the bike. The kid that owned it laid it down in a gas station parking lot and then got scared of it.

If this deal hadn't popped up, I doubt I would have gotten into bikes in the next 3 years with me moving into a heavy traffic city with 0 space to practice.

Damn man, that is an awesome score. Congrats.

marko138
04-09-2008, 09:06 AM

Don't be crazy. Plus Byron's got your back. And PA isn't not 2000 miles from GA. Probly 1200. :lol:

upshift
04-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Dude don't be a pussy I've got a truck lets go get it wheter are not you survive is not dependent on the size of the bike besides you have dirt bike experience and its damn near twenty years old. And you won't have to go into debt which is definitly a bad idea for a first motorcycle. And we also have been following Markos incredible upkeep for years and you Have Otb to vouch for it too because he has seen it in person. I am hearby doing the unthinkable and encouraging a teenager that I don't even know to buy a gsx-r 750 but one must examine each situation differently and that is my humble opinion on this matter. Also move out of moms house so you can do what you want. I will drive you to PA though to buy it if you want say the word dude I am all about it; I'm a flaky motherfucker though so give me a months notice so I can ask off work and explain to my wife.

Don't be crazy. Plus Byron's got your back. And PA isn't not 2000 miles from GA. Probly 1200. :lol:

Only 1200?!?! In that case i may have to make an exception :lol: j/k Thanks for the offer byron but Im looking for something a little closer. I dont even know how much u want for it marko :lol: