PDA

View Full Version : Lane splitting

fpzx10
03-25-2008, 12:27 PM
This guy is on the 10r forum. Thought I would share, and let all of you discuss it. He also claim that he hit 103mph doing this once

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez0Dc2bohW8

Trip
03-25-2008, 12:32 PM
god damn, I was just waiting for someone to switch lanes on him. Is he somewhere it's legal?

I am guilty of doing this, but not in that much traffic.

LaFemmes
03-25-2008, 12:33 PM
I wont do it because I live in NJ.
If I were in Cali, it would be a different story all together.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/LaFemmes/lanesplitting.jpg

fpzx10
03-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Legal or not. Those speeds are crazy

z06boy
03-25-2008, 12:50 PM
I like fast but not in that tight of quarters...unless I'm in a NASCAR mobile. :panic:

marko138
03-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Yes, the vid says he's in LA at the beginning...in which case it would be legal. But over 60 mph? Fuck him.

LaFemmes
03-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Yes, the vid says he's in LA at the beginning...in which case it would be legal. But over 60 mph? Fuck him.

I agree with you, that's not a smart speed to be lane splitting.

Rider
03-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I agree with you, that's not a smart speed to be lane splitting.

Is any speed?

LaFemmes
03-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Is any speed?

In Cali, they move over for the bikes, so yes, if your doing the speed limit it seems okay to split.

DLIT
03-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Pretty ballsy. I usually tuck my mirrors in before I split 'em. Never that fast though. 40 TOPS.

Trip
03-25-2008, 01:15 PM
In Cali, they move over for the bikes, so yes, if your doing the speed limit it seems okay to split.

That was in Cali, they don't look to be moving over do they?

Rider
03-25-2008, 01:16 PM

I grew up in Cali, still not a smart move at any speed.

marko138
03-25-2008, 01:18 PM
It should be legal in all states...at times it's necessary.

azoomm
03-25-2008, 01:20 PM

Now that, is a wise statement... I just don't trust Texas drivers, they have a holier-than-thou attitude that pisses me off. As in, they speed up when you pass them, as if you just woke them up from their mouth-breathing daze.

marko138
03-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Well...most drivers are not to be trusted. If you try that shit in alot of places some wiseguy is gonna move over or open his door and try to ruin your program.

Trip
03-25-2008, 01:22 PM
I would get killed in TN if it was legal here. Road rage is pretty common, they will go out of their way to fuck your shit up.

DLIT
03-25-2008, 01:23 PM

Seriously. Especially the way our bikes heat up when stopped. Especially in the summer.

marko138
03-25-2008, 01:30 PM
I would get killed in TN if it was legal here. Road rage is pretty common, they will go out of their way to fuck your shit up.
Thats what I'm talking about. If it was passed today...it would take a long time till motorists accept it and stop trying to kill us.

Trip
03-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Thats what I'm talking about. If it was passed today...it would take a long time till motorists accept it and stop trying to kill us.

Yeah, I think Kyle was at the overlook when some crazy old man in a Chrysler 300 pulled a gun on everyone and said someone was getting shot if they tried to pass him.

marko138
03-25-2008, 01:35 PM
WHAT?????? Are you kidding?

Rider
03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I think Kyle was at the overlook when some crazy old man in a Chrysler 300 pulled a gun on everyone and said someone was getting shot if they tried to pass him.

:hss: Thats fucked up....

JoJoYZF
03-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Thats fucking rididculous

Trip
03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I wasn't there so I don't know the story, all I know is some crazed dude pulled a gun on everyone and yelled something about not passing him.

Bassplayer
03-25-2008, 01:54 PM
I know im technically stil a newb at riding, but i just dont trust drivers, dont think ill even do it at slow speeds...

a buddy of mine was doin the exact same thing around 45 mphin stopped traffic, and some jackass opens his door.
My buddy nailed the door, flies over and hits the next car (broken ribs, arm)
he got really messed up, sued the driver and won.

But still, it scares me a bit to do it...:panic: :dthumb:

pickle.of.doom
03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
I used to do it when I visited my bro in NYC. Its legal there as well. BUt most people are always at a complete stop, and you are doing maybe 10-15 mph, so its not as dangerous as on the freeway.

Phenix_Rider
03-25-2008, 03:43 PM
I used to do it when I visited my bro in NYC. Its legal there as well. BUt most people are always at a complete stop, and you are doing maybe 10-15 mph, so its not as dangerous as on the freeway.

That's the only time I'd do it.

m0n1
03-25-2008, 04:06 PM
he looked to be heading north on the 105 freeway those tall buildings on th left is the los angeles skyline. most parts of the 105 have pretty decent speeds, but gets really congested the closer you get to los angeles. most people on the freeway i ride do make room for motorcycles, but of course you have those assholes who move closer to you. the only time i split is on a section of the freeway where the carpool and regular lane of traffic is seperated by two double yellows with a 1.5 ft space it between and i only split when traffic is moving 10-15mph. traffice sucks in socal.

Captain Morgan
03-25-2008, 04:23 PM
It's my understanding that it's legal in Cali, but I read somewhere the law states 10-20 mph faster than the traffic is moving. This guy was going well above that. I can certainly understand splitting lanes and I've done it a time or two, but never at those speeds. However, it is illegal here in Indiana.

fnfalman
03-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Without being able to split lane in heavy traffic, I might as well take the cage.

azoomm
03-25-2008, 04:25 PM

He wouldn't have any luck pulling that here in Texas... quite a few guys I ride with carry in their tankbags - two have holsters under arm. It sure would be fun to see though, wouldn't it? :skep:

Trip
03-25-2008, 04:40 PM
He wouldn't have any luck pulling that here in Texas... quite a few guys I ride with carry in their tankbags - two have holsters under arm. It sure would be fun to see though, wouldn't it? :skep:

We carry here as well, but if you carry you know that you can't just whip your gun out in a whim and start firing. It's nice to think you can be John Wayne though.

fnfalman
03-25-2008, 04:47 PM
We carry here as well, but if you carry you know that you can't just whip your gun out in a whim and start firing. It's nice to think you can be John Wayne though.

Carry the shit in the hip holster on your left side. Sure, shooting lefthanded is kinda tough unless you're a leftie, but it's pointblank range, so it's all good.

Mrs. Colleen
03-25-2008, 05:21 PM
It's my understanding that it's legal in Cali, but I read somewhere the law states 10-20 mph faster than the traffic is moving. This guy was going well above that. I can certainly understand splitting lanes and I've done it a time or two, but never at those speeds. However, it is illegal here in Indiana.

I think (could be wrong) that you can only legally go 5-10 mph faster than traffic when lane splitting.

I am still too new to lane split so I don't know all the rules about it.

Just found this on the CHP FAQ site...
Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?

Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

azoomm
03-25-2008, 06:07 PM

The point is, if the douchebag brandishes a weapon in the manner described, you wouldn't then just be whipping it out on a whim ;) The other guy is teh suck though, not arguing that point.

fnfalman
03-25-2008, 07:56 PM
There are no speed limits in California for lane splitting. It's "reasonable and prudence", whatever the hell that means. It probably means that when everybody is crawling at 5-MPH and you're doing 50, it ain't good.

Mr Lefty
03-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Is any speed?

from what I was told by a CHiP motorcycle officer... you can do 5-10 over what the car your passing is doing... and you can't lane split if the cars are doing over 20mph...

so even in Cali he was Illegal. and fucking stupid.

I agree that lane splitting should be legal... but it's because of morons like him... that I doubt it will ever be legal out side of california

lauralynne
03-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Lane splitting is NOT legal in CA. It's just not ILLEGAL. There's a big difference.

I routinely work with a group of people here in WA and have testified on behalf of lane splitting but it still hasn't passed up here. One of the problems is that there's never been a study for OR against lane splitting. So there's no hard core evidence for either side. Then emotions get involved and people like this fucktard give people the impression that lane splitting is dangerous.

Even if we get lane splitting legal in WA, I won't be likely to do it. Too many pissed off drivers up here. In CA, like has been mentioned, people move for you. You get plenty of space, they see you, and it's safe and sane. When we tour through CA, it's amazingly easy to tell who the out of staters are, one of them actually swerved to run me off the road as we were leaving Laguna Seca. I've never seen Louie park his bike and get off of it so fast. I just went on the shoulder, gassed it a little and got back on the road in front of the offender. Calmed Louie down and we went on our merry way and continued to lane split the line of cars out of the track.

That douche was definately an out of towner.

fnfalman
03-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Lane splitting is NOT legal in CA. It's just not ILLEGAL. There's a big difference.

Exactly!!!

But there are codes (that I don't remember the actual numerical titles off my head) that said if there are enough room, two vehicles (not specific to the type of vehicle) may share the lane in various conditions.

So, if you're not splitting lane like a jackass, even at higher speeds, the cops are not going to bug you. But if you're weaving in and out, braking and accelerating, the whole Valentino Rossi thing, you're gonna get a ticket.

t-homo
03-26-2008, 05:20 PM
I have yet to lane split because I live in a small town and rarely encounter heavy traffic. I think it should be legal up to 10-15 mph over the speed, but at 60 is retarded.

Smittie61984
03-26-2008, 11:40 PM

I carry a Shiny 44magnum Revolver with me whenever I ride great distances. I'd be willing to play "My gun is bigger than your gun" with him. Crazy fucks.

I rarely lane split and if I do it's usually 3-4 cars to catch up with my group.

I will say I am split with lane splitting(Good one huh?). Part of me wants it because hell I'm on a bike and that woudl rule. The other part of me thinks "What if I'm in a nice car like a Mercedes, Ferrari, or even a nice truck" and some punk kid with a $1000 bike is coming within a few inches of my $100,000+ car.

Amber Lamps
03-27-2008, 06:24 AM
I carry a Shiny 44magnum Revolver with me whenever I ride great distances. I'd be willing to play "My gun is bigger than your gun" with him. Crazy fucks.

I rarely lane split and if I do it's usually 3-4 cars to catch up with my group.

I will say I am split with lane splitting(Good one huh?). Part of me wants it because hell I'm on a bike and that woudl rule. The other part of me thinks "What if I'm in a nice car like a Mercedes, Ferrari, or even a nice truck" and some punk kid with a $1000 bike is coming within a few inches of my $100,000+ car.

now that's a good point! Lane splitting would never go in Mi,heck when there is construction on the highway and you can get thru with you bike. Assholes see you coming and actually run their cars way over to one side just so you can't pass them! Haters! On the other hand,I'm certain that it would be just fine here in the great state of North Carolina considering how regularly people get out of your way just going down the road.

fnfalman
03-27-2008, 11:01 AM
The other part of me thinks "What if I'm in a nice car like a Mercedes, Ferrari, or even a nice truck" and some punk kid with a $1000 bike is coming within a few inches of my $100,000+ car.

We split pass those fancy boys when they're stuck in traffic around Santa Monica Beach going to and from Malibu (the Santa Monica Mountains twisties) all the times. Give'em a little blip of throttles and flirt with their bitches.

"Hey, your Italian stallion is stuck in traffic and my Italian stallion isn't. Haha!":rockout:

marko138
03-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Carry the shit in the hip holster on your left side. Sure, shooting lefthanded is kinda tough unless you're a leftie, but it's pointblank range, so it's all good.

I'm a lefty.

Trip
03-27-2008, 01:03 PM
now that's a good point! Lane splitting would never go in Mi,heck when there is construction on the highway and you can get thru with you bike. Assholes see you coming and actually run their cars way over to one side just so you can't pass them! Haters! On the other hand,I'm certain that it would be just fine here in the great state of North Carolina considering how regularly people get out of your way just going down the road.

When did you move to NC? I thought you were in Meeechigan.

m0n1
03-27-2008, 01:11 PM
here is something i found at http://laneshare.org/ca.htm

The generally “understood” guidelines seem to be:

Travel no faster than 10 mph faster than the vehicles you’re lane-sharing with.
Merge back in with the traffic when they reach 30-35 mph.
Never exceed the speed limit.
Lane-sharing between lanes #1 and #2 is preferred. (#1 being the “fast” or “inside” lane)
Stay, more or less, in one lane or the other. Excessive meandering might get you cited. (CA code 21658)

Add to this a few other pointers:

Be a competent rider before attempting the practice.
Be prepared to adjust your speed as necessary.
Cover your brake and clutch to reduce reaction time.
Avoid lane-sharing between two large trucks.
Be wary of open spaces inviting a vehicle to change lanes.
Be vigilant of other vehicle operator’s head movements indicative of an impending lane change.
Check your mirrors and be prepared to move over for overtaking motorcycles behind you.
When in doubt, wait for a CHP motor patrol officer and follow him/her. (You might have to travel a bit faster than 10mph to keep up.)

JoJoYZF
03-27-2008, 01:34 PM

Hell, I only lived in Michigan for one year of school before transferring and I knew they would do that shit given the chance. The nice thing that I found was that cops never bothered with the highways I used up there.

Rider
03-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Hell, I only lived in Michigan for one year of school before transferring and I knew they would do that shit given the chance. The nice thing that I found was that cops never bothered with the highways I used up there.

My middle finger gets used a lot up here.

z06boy
03-27-2008, 02:07 PM
My middle finger gets used a lot up here.

:lol: So does mine here in NC on the bike and in the cage.

I'm pretty easy to get along with but some people just do some dumb chit while out on the road.

Amber Lamps
03-27-2008, 02:13 PM
When did you move to NC? I thought you were in Meeechigan.

Yep I moved a few months ago. I got tired of snow. I needed a change. It's 73F outside right now!

:lol: So does mine here in NC on the bike and in the cage.

I'm pretty easy to get along with but some people just do some dumb chit while out on the road.

hey now,I'm trying to convince everyone that NC is the shit! Besides,trust me,I've lived all over the country and it's very relative. The drivers here can be a bit "slow" but they have nothing on up north!

marko138
03-27-2008, 02:49 PM
here is something i found at http://laneshare.org/ca.htm

The generally “understood” guidelines seem to be:

Travel no faster than 10 mph faster than the vehicles you’re lane-sharing with.
Merge back in with the traffic when they reach 30-35 mph.
Never exceed the speed limit.
Lane-sharing between lanes #1 and #2 is preferred. (#1 being the “fast” or “inside” lane)
Stay, more or less, in one lane or the other. Excessive meandering might get you cited. (CA code 21658)

Add to this a few other pointers:

Be a competent rider before attempting the practice.
Be prepared to adjust your speed as necessary.
Cover your brake and clutch to reduce reaction time.
Avoid lane-sharing between two large trucks.
Be wary of open spaces inviting a vehicle to change lanes.
Be vigilant of other vehicle operator’s head movements indicative of an impending lane change.
Check your mirrors and be prepared to move over for overtaking motorcycles behind you.
When in doubt, wait for a CHP motor patrol officer and follow him/her. (You might have to travel a bit faster than 10mph to keep up.)

Hmm...and the ass pirate in this video was doing none of these things.

Smittie61984
03-27-2008, 06:32 PM
On the other hand,I'm certain that it would be just fine here in the great state of North Carolina considering how regularly people get out of your way just going down the road.

That was the first thing I noticed when I rode from Augusta, GA(Which mainly consists of Indians(From Asia not America) who are all over the damn place. To Deal's Gap for the first time was how the NC drivers where. I went to Highlands to check out that waterfall on US64. Once I left the Waterfall everyone and I mean literally everyone all the way to Franklin got out of my way. I wasn't even riding fast. They'd pull over if they could or wave me on.

Georgia is nothing like that. They'll take up 2 lanes if they see a bike behind them in the twisties.

Cutty72
03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Yep I moved a few months ago. I got tired of snow. I needed a change. It's 73F outside right now!
!

Hey, it's the same temp here!!!

oh wait, nevermind... dyslexia kicking in again.. 37F.

Trip
03-27-2008, 07:30 PM
That guy is a pussy compared to these fuckers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Captain Morgan
03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
That guy is a pussy compared to these fuckers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjrEQaG5jPM

Wow, they really need to discover the invention of the traffic light.

Smittie61984
03-27-2008, 09:05 PM
I want one of those yellow Taxi looking things so bad. I'd throw in a Busa motor and pimp it out. Also if you rolled through there on a stretched out Busa you'd be the king daddy of that joint.

One thing that is interesting and why it seems to work so well is just about half of the traffic consist of Scooters/Mopeds/Motorcycles. And odds are the people in the cars probably have a scoot too and pay attention to other scoots too.

Trip
03-27-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't know if I would call that working well, more like surviving.