PDA

View Full Version : Chain replacement questions

derf
04-23-2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=110313108&store=Main&catId=&productId=p110313&leafCatId=&mmyId=

I need to replace my chain, and I cant seem to find a clip on style 525 108link chain. The link above is for the only chain I can find that looks remotely like it will work. I have a few questions.

1. Is this a clip on style master link chain?

2. Can I use a clip on master link on a rivet chain?

3. Is there anyone in or near south Jersey who has a chain rivet tool I can use?

4. Anyone have a good link for a 108 link 525 chain?

tommymac
04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
I have a chain press but am not that close :idk: I will prolly be swapping my chain early next week.

Tom

BobTheBiker
04-23-2009, 10:21 PM
you can run a clip style link just fine. I prefer to have the same brand/size link over other brands, since the center pins may be of different diameters. the clip style link is just fine, you just have to use common sense and install the clip the right direction.

derf
04-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Thanks, I called DK and they cant figure out what tpe of link it has, so I was thinking about ordering that chain and a clip style master link.

Even with the broken gimp in a cast hand I am making plans to attend the rally with my bike so I can ride. I need a new chain and my bro is gonna come over next week to gimme a hand replacing it.

tommymac
04-23-2009, 10:38 PM
Thanks, I called DK and they cant figure out what tpe of link it has, so I was thinking about ordering that chain and a clip style master link.

Even with the broken gimp in a cast hand I am making plans to attend the rally with my bike so I can ride. I need a new chain and my bro is gonna come over next week to gimme a hand replacing it.

if you think it will make it to the rally I can bring my chain press tool and we can swap it down there. Some chains/manufacturers only sell them in preset lengths so you have to pop off a link or 3.

Tom

derf
04-23-2009, 10:50 PM
I'll let you know if you should bring the chain tool. I ordered a 108 link chain (I counted the links today) and a clip style master link. I also made sure that they were the same manufacturer, and the same series/style chain.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=119327&store=Main&catId=&productId=p119327&leafCatId=&mmyId=

Worst case I just replace it down there, but I'm going to try and replace it here next thursday.

LittleTaz
04-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Clip type master links work fine. Grease the pins and install the clip with the closed end toward the direction of travel (Left side on most everything). If the clip is seated in the groove and looks even on top and bottom you are good to roll. I've never seen one that was in good condition and correctly installed come loose.
w92v

Gas Man
04-24-2009, 08:15 AM
rivit style master links FTW

HRCNICK11
05-06-2009, 10:19 PM
I had a clip come undone and bust the cases on my F2. The cost of the engine cases is way more than a chain tool. Trust me use the rivet style.

Also avoid RK chains not only are they junk they do not stand behind there warranty. EK and DID work great.

HRCNICK11
05-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Oh by the way chains normally come in 110 and 120 lenth and are cut down to what you need lots of hondas came with 108s and needed to be cut from 110s.