PDA

View Full Version : Brake shims and springs?

JoJoYZF
04-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Someone on my bike specific forum said that you need to change the brake shims and springs when changing the pads, but Ive never heard of this. Is that true? I asked on there but that forum is very very slow compared to this one and I may be waiting a while for a response. If it is true, any ideas where I can get them?

Dnyce
04-23-2009, 11:46 PM
only springs i know of are in drum brakes....

methinks you shouldnt get your advice from this "someone"

JoJoYZF
04-23-2009, 11:49 PM
only springs i know of are in drum brakes....

methinks you shouldnt get your advice from this "someone"

Thats kind of my guess too.

EDIT: After reading through part of my haynes manual it references both but doesnt say if theyre pieces that need to be replaced. And the spring they mention looks like a type of retaining clip.

BobTheBiker
04-24-2009, 12:55 AM
you very likely dont have to replace that part. you will however, have to push your pistons back into the calipers, which is kinda trick. keep the old pads in to do that so you dont screw up new ones. its how I'd do it.

Gas Man
04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Before you push the calipers back in... pull up the rubber boot and inspect the pistons. If they are clean, just spray em with some lube. Then push back in. If not, clean them up, spray, and push.

But I don't there are any parts needing to be replaced besides the pads. Might want to check n lube the slides.

G-Rex
04-24-2009, 08:44 AM
And before you push the pistons in, take the cap off the master cylinder and wrap a towel around it and cover the top.

I have to agree with everyone else. I have yet to see any kind of a spring on a motorcycle disc brake (any disc brake for that matter), and as for the shims, why would you need to replace them? They aren't a wear item. Their primary purpose as I understand it is to help control brake squeal. Hell, back in the day, we always took those off when we changed pads. :lol:

Nowadays, I'm a little OCD about stuff like that, so they go back on. What I will do is give them a good cleaning with a scotchbrite pad, and put a little anti-squeal compound on them, and call it good.

JoJoYZF
04-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Everyone has pretty much confirmed what I was thinking. Thanks guys.