PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Levers...Which are the best?

zippychickie636
04-26-2009, 09:45 AM
So I have a 2005 zx6r, and my little girl hands can barely pull the clutch in, it's too tight, and even after I adjusted it to as close to the handle bars as possible it's not really working for me. I'm wondering what you guys think the best adjustable levers are out there, or what would work for me.

also I need a new chain and sprockets which is probably the explanation for what I'm about to say, but I thought I'd mention it anyway and see if anyone else has this problem. When I first take off theres a quick clanking noise that gets progressivly faster in rythm until like 5-6 rpms and it stops. It only happens in first and second gear and everytime I tighten my chain it seems to go away. BUT what I think is weird is that it comes back within a few days. If it were just the chain I don't think it would loosen up the point of clanking that quickly? but then again I don't really know. Any thoughts guys? (or ladies)

was92v
04-26-2009, 10:07 AM
The noise is the chain/sprockets. The quicker it comes back, the worse they are. The noise will go away when the worn stuff goes away.

Mr Lefty
04-26-2009, 10:16 AM
as far as levers... there are a few good brands out their... but I've only had Pazzo's... I liked them on my ZZR... so I ordered another set for my 600RR... though this time I went with the shorty version.

the adjustable is not gonna do much about how hard it is to pull... it'll just position the lever in it's static position (ie where the lever starts) closer to or further from the grips.

that's why I got them... so I could pull the lever in all the way and not crush my little fingers... and also I only use 2 fingers anyhow...

have you lubed the clutch cable? that may make it a little easier to pull... other than that I'm at a loss for how to ease that up for you

tached1000rr
04-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I would agree about trying to lube your clutch cable. How many miles on your chain and sprocket?

zippychickie636
04-26-2009, 12:31 PM
thanks for the advice guys. There's deffinatly alot of miles on the chain and sprockets I mean I got the bike at 13,000 miles in oct. and I don't know if/when the previous owner chained them last, and now the bikes at 16700...so I know I'm pushin it. I'm very cautious though with the whole thing so it's not like I'm not gonna replace it. I was just curious about whether the noise was related or not but from the looks of things it sure is. thanks again

tached1000rr
04-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Yep I'd go ahead and do the chain and sprockets it will provide piece of mind and like you said you don't know what type of maintenance (if any) the previous owner provided.

tached1000rr
04-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Some of the guys/gals on the board here in your area may be able to help out with the install to save your some $$$$.

zippychickie636
04-26-2009, 12:45 PM
yea I really need to learn how to do some of this maitenance myself. It's so expensive to have it done. I have a couple people around here always offering to help me do some stuff to my bike and just let them know but every time it comes down to getting it done they dissappear...boo. lol

Phenix_Rider
04-26-2009, 01:52 PM
yea I really need to learn how to do some of this maitenance myself. It's so expensive to have it done. I have a couple people around here always offering to help me do some stuff to my bike and just let them know but every time it comes down to getting it done they dissappear...boo. lol

Motorcycle maintenance isn't hard. For most of it, you just need some basic tools and race stands. There are a few specialized tools though- link a chain breaker/press/riveter. You can always ride down here with the parts, and I'll loan the tools and expertise. :wink:

How often do you clean/lube that chain? It probably is due for replacement, but frequent cleaning/lubing helps them last longer. The clanking is chain links binding and not flowing smoothly. They do it when the pins wear, and the internal lubrication has dried up. Look close, and you'll probably notice a dry reddish stain on the inside of the side plates on certain links.

Riceaholic
04-26-2009, 05:49 PM
I have CRG shorty's but if you are having trouble pulling in stock levers I would stick with full size.

Dave
04-26-2009, 05:56 PM
hey zippie, welcome back! i have to put in another vote for Pazzo levers.

Cutty72
04-26-2009, 09:03 PM
I have pazzo's on the buell and love 'em.

Rider
04-27-2009, 08:45 AM
I loved my Pazzo's.

neebelung
04-27-2009, 08:47 AM
I love my Pazzos. I've got the standard length ones, and Chris has the shortys. Both are equally nice.

For me, I prefer the standard length, because I don't "two finger" it. If your hands are stronger, and/or you do prefer to only use two fingers, then shortys are the way to go.

They adjust really easily (as in instantly), and hey, they look pretty sharp, too.

zippychickie636
04-27-2009, 09:47 AM
so I took a look and i forget which one of you guys mentioned a dry reddish stain but whoever it was knows their shit lol. There it was clear as day. The problem is everytime i wanna tighten the chain and do A B and C to it, I have to bring it somewhere because I own no tools. It's pretty ree ree. lol. Anyway it seems like people really like pazzos...gonna have to check them out. Also how long roughly are a chain and sprockets supposed to last. Some harley guy I met last night asked me why I already needed a new chain and sprockets on an 05 bike?

Mr Lefty
04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Lol.. That harley guy needs a bit of an education on sprockets I think. The year of the bike has little to do with Anything. Shit I think warputer has something like 45000 on his busa and I think its an 06. Not sure how long the Average chain and sprocket last though. I'd guess 15k

Dave
04-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Lol.. That harley guy needs a bit of an education on sprockets I think. The year of the bike has little to do with Anything. Shit I think warputer has something like 45000 on his busa and I think its an 06. Not sure how long the Average chain and sprocket last though. I'd guess 15k

15k for steel. About half that for most aluminum

Antwanny
04-27-2009, 11:58 AM
pazzo or crg id go pazzo cheaper and good quality.
Steel sprockets ftw

Dave
04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
15k for steel. About half that for most aluminum

oh yeah and half that again for vortex :lmao:

tached1000rr
04-27-2009, 07:08 PM
As for the Harley rider, it was likely that this bike is more a trophy of "I have a bike" for when he has company over to the house, they honker around the bike and talk lol. The average seems to be about 15,000 but if well cared for maybe 20,000 as the exception more so than the rule.

Homeslice
04-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Get Pazzos, they are cheaper than CRG but still very good. Make sure you get the shorties.....I don't understand peeps who get the long ones.

Phenix_Rider
04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
so I took a look and i forget which one of you guys mentioned a dry reddish stain but whoever it was knows their shit lol. There it was clear as day. The problem is everytime i wanna tighten the chain and do A B and C to it, I have to bring it somewhere because I own no tools. It's pretty ree ree. lol. Anyway it seems like people really like pazzos...gonna have to check them out. Also how long roughly are a chain and sprockets supposed to last. Some harley guy I met last night asked me why I already needed a new chain and sprockets on an 05 bike?

That would be me :rockwoot:

I got 17,500 or so out of my stock chain and sprockets. Replaced with the same or better quality steel sprockets, you should get the same- depending on maintenance, of course.

As for Harleys :rolleyes: most of them travel farther on a trailer or under a service tech than anything. My bike is an '07 with close to 20,000 miles- all of which I put on and did my own maintenance. Buy your own tools, and if you stay in the sport long enough, you save tons of money and help a lot of people.

Phenix_Rider
04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
:rant: Aw, now you must be kidding me- the reps blocks are back? AND I'm a noob?! :rant:

Dave
04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
:rant: Aw, now you must be kidding me- the reps blocks are back? AND I'm a noob?! :rant:

yes you're a noob. but maybe if you are really nice zippiechicky will rep you :lol:

Cutty72
04-27-2009, 11:15 PM
nope... HD's just never have to change a chain or sprocket.

zippychickie636
04-28-2009, 01:50 PM
no fighting boys. lol well now i dont feel so bad because the bike has about 17000 on it and i doubt the previous owner eve4r changed the chain and/or sporckets....

but now for something that gets a 12 out of 10 on my wtf scale....

i was riding today and passed this peice of plastic like 7 or 8 inches long and 5 or 4 or so inches high. I thought to myself oh thats weird its the same color as my bike. it took me the 5 minutes more that i got home in to realise oh shit! thats the same color as my bike cuz its from my bike....got what a damn noob I am! so i hop in the car to go back and get the damn thing and when i get there it's all crumpled up...so now as crazy as it sounds...i cant figure out where the goddamn peice is from!? I'm gonna try to take pictures from a bunch of different angles of my bike and post them maybe we can do some sherlock holmes shit and figure this mystery out...but seriously...what? lol

Sixxxxer
04-28-2009, 03:18 PM
Your front Fender???

Dave
04-28-2009, 03:40 PM
On my old hurricane i had my right side fairing fly off at a little over 100 mph. Had to go back and find it and then hide it in the woods for later. Put it back on with zip ties and that shit never moved again :lol:

zippychickie636
04-28-2009, 04:11 PM
no to the front fender lol. and zip ties lol everybody loves them but the worst part is once you start using them you cannot stop. they're crack lol

Dave
04-28-2009, 05:05 PM
true nuff!

Phenix_Rider
04-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Chain guard...mini hugger... fender extender...tail plastic... too many things it could be. Definitely need pictures.

zippychickie636
04-29-2009, 04:20 PM
well I can't find my camera anywhere so ixnay on the icturepas lol im a goober.

Dave
04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
well I can't find my camera anywhere so ixnay on the icturepas lol im a goober.

camphone and text to your email address!