PDA

View Full Version : Chains...

Mr Lefty
04-26-2009, 05:20 PM
I've never fucked with mine other than to clean and tighten it... but I've ordered a new set of sprockets and a chain... that will be here next week...but as I know I'm gonna be short on time... I figured I'd get everything ready to start the process.

so I took off the rear tire... then took off the cover for the front sprocket... then realized something... I gotta break the chain to get it off... and that's when I realized another thing...

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS. :idk:

I'm assuming there's a tool that will break it... :idk:

what about the new chain and the master link... do I need a special tool for that?

I feel like an idiot... but hell... ya gotta learn some how.

while we're on that topic... any advice about the process that might ease it along?

I'm still not sure how I'm gonna get the front sprocket off.... will the gears hold it enough for me to loosen it or will I need an impact wrench?

Phenix_Rider
04-26-2009, 05:32 PM
I've never fucked with mine other than to clean and tighten it... but I've ordered a new set of sprockets and a chain... that will be here next week...but as I know I'm gonna be short on time... I figured I'd get everything ready to start the process.

so I took off the rear tire... then took off the cover for the front sprocket... then realized something... I gotta break the chain to get it off... and that's when I realized another thing...

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO THIS. :idk:

I'm assuming there's a tool that will break it... :idk:

what about the new chain and the master link... do I need a special tool for that?

I feel like an idiot... but hell... ya gotta learn some how.

while we're on that topic... any advice about the process that might ease it along?

I'm still not sure how I'm gonna get the front sprocket off.... will the gears hold it enough for me to loosen it or will I need an impact wrench?

My front sprocket was supposed to be torqued to 90 ft-lbs per the service manual. NOPE. You need an impact. Break that sprocket loose before you cut the chain, and you can use the rear brake to hold it.

To get the chain off, you can just cut it with a grinder/dremel/hacksaw. Most good press/rivet tools also have a pin to press out a link pin. BE SURE to GRIND OFF THE HEAD of the rivet or you'll probably break the tool.

Easiest way to replace the chain is to loosen the front sprocket, count the side plates of the old chain, cut the old chain, cut the new chain, pin/wire/whatever the new chain to the old and pull it through- all before you pull the rear wheel off. Taking the sprocket off the rear is a nothing job- bunch of bolts around 20 ft-lbs. Replace rear wheel, press on side plates, peen rivets. Pressing the side plates and peening the rivets requires some finesse- which is why you should get a spare master link. I pressed the first one too far, and the rivets twisted and cracked. Helps to put a dab of grease on the end of the tool before you peen the rivet.

You did make sure you're getting a rivet master, Right?

Mr Lefty
04-26-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm not sure what I'm getting... the chain will be pre cutt for me to the length I need for the sprockets I have.

ok... so I should put the rear tire back on and then break the sprocket loose? figures :lol:

thanks...

derf
04-26-2009, 06:13 PM
If you get a clip on style master link you dont really need any special tools. just make sure that you put the clip so that the closed end faces the direction that the chain travels, and make sure that is seated in the grooves on the pin good.

Also, if you are by yourself, zip ties are your friend, use them to hold the chain together so you can work with the ends of it easier.

Go to Home depot, buy an electric impact gun, use it to break the front sprocket loose and return it, just dont get it dirty. Also, if you are gonna use a impact gun, make sure that you have the rear brake on, the impact gun has enuff force to spin the rear tire, and roll your bike forward and off a side stand.

What would be real nice is if your base has an auto hobby shop you can use. The guys that work there can usually give you a hand.

And you do know that you can get away without a new chain, just buy a 1 or 2 tooth larger sprocket, and your chain can stretch a few more inches before your replace it. (Please dont take that serious, I heard of one local guy that actually did that and his chain snapped on him)

BobTheBiker
04-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Go to Home depot, buy an electric impact gun, use it to break the front sprocket loose and return it, just dont get it dirty. Also, if you are gonna use a impact gun, make sure that you have the rear brake on, the impact gun has enuff force to spin the rear tire, and roll your bike forward and off a side stand.

I've figured an easy fix for this. roll your bike's front tire up against a sturdy wall first when you park it, then you can pull the nut easy. it cant go forward when theres a wall in front of it.

derf
04-26-2009, 06:19 PM
The first time I replaced a chain I wasn't so smart and I had a bike laying on me a few seconds after I started to use the impact gun. The bike wasnt damaged though, it landed on me and I didnt scratch it.

Mr Lefty
04-26-2009, 06:20 PM
how about putting the sprocket back on... and torque'n it down? do you wait until you put the chain on first?

thanks for the help guys

derf
04-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Yes, put the chain on, as tight as you can until you start to spin the engine over, then the back wheel, the chain, then with the chain and back wheel on hold the back brake, and use a tq wrench to get it back to spec.

And dont use one of those cheesy deflection tq wrenches, us a good clicker type one.

Mr Lefty
04-26-2009, 06:35 PM
yeah got a clicker... cool THANKS

bmblebee
04-26-2009, 08:22 PM
When do you expect to receive the chain and sprockets? I have a chain press/rivet tool and I could come help you with it

Mr Lefty
04-26-2009, 08:35 PM
actually just checked... the kit I ordered comes with a chain press/break tool...

as for when I should get it... that's the million dollar question. I ordered it on Wed... with delivory expected on Tues... but Thursday late afternoon I got an e-mail saying that the website had an error on it and wanted to know what color banjo's I wanted with my Galfer lines... so I sent it back saying what ever was normal was fine (silver I think :idk:) but still haven't gotten a shipping conformation or tracking number... I'll be fuck'n pissed if it hasn't shipped yet!

Phenix_Rider
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I'm not sure what I'm getting... the chain will be pre cutt for me to the length I need for the sprockets I have.

ok... so I should put the rear tire back on and then break the sprocket loose? figures :lol:

thanks...
I'd still double check the chain length. They usually come in standard lengths that aren't quite right.

I had my bike on the rearstand with my dad holding the rear brake. Having the weight on the rear wheel might have helped.

Mr Lefty
04-26-2009, 08:55 PM
yeah I'm thinking I'll take it down off the stands to break it loose.. gonna have to try and get someone to lend me a hand...

have to see if Amorok is free... and thursty :lol:

Antwanny
04-26-2009, 11:18 PM
"Go to Home depot, buy an electric impact gun, use it to break the front sprocket loose and return it, just dont get it dirty. Also, if you are gonna use a impact gun, make sure that you have the rear brake on, the impact gun has enuff force to spin the rear tire, and roll your bike forward and off a side stand."

Derf do you know this from xperience? A bad day full of F bombs i take it

derf
04-26-2009, 11:39 PM
Yeh dude, I'm a riot when I have a project and a case of beer.

tommymac
04-27-2009, 12:10 AM
Yeh dude, I'm a riot when I have a project and a case of beer.

thats got a trip to the er written all over it :lol:

I may try to swap my chain tomorrow too. I realy need t get the forks off and get them to the shop though and trying to swap a chain with the whole front end off has too much potential for disaster.

Tom

BobTheBiker
04-27-2009, 12:30 AM
thats got a trip to the er written all over it :lol:
Tom

Usually said trip to the ER is preceded by the words hold my beer an watch this shit. :rockout:

bmblebee
04-27-2009, 07:04 AM
Usually said trip to the ER is preceded by the words hold my beer an watch this shit. :rockout:

Or, "hel(, that's easy, let me show you how it's done!"

marko138
04-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Service manual, perhaps?

Mr Lefty
04-27-2009, 07:54 AM
yeah just found the manual and down loaded it. though I'm thinking things like hold the rear brake and put the bike against a wall when breaking loose the front sprocket aren't on there :lol:

marko138
04-27-2009, 07:55 AM
yeah just found the manual and down loaded it. though I'm thinking things like hold the rear brake and put the bike against a wall when breaking loose the front sprocket aren't on there :lol:
There's the old "wrap a 2x4 in a towel and put it through the wheel" gag, too.

Cutty72
04-27-2009, 11:53 PM

I was just about to add that! :lol: I think a pry bar would work better though.

tommymac
04-28-2009, 07:21 AM

I have a single sided swingarm so that doesnt even work as well.

Tom

marko138
04-28-2009, 07:29 AM

Tom
I guess not.

Tmall
04-28-2009, 07:37 AM

Tom

Sure it does, except you use the swingarm and the ground instead of both sides of the swingarm.

tommymac
04-28-2009, 07:44 AM
Sure it does, except you use the swingarm and the ground instead of both sides of the swingarm.

I hav ebeen lucky so far and havent had to do that on the priller yet. Did it on the tl a few times though.

Tom