PDA

View Full Version : Front stands

was92v
04-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Opinions please!

I am going to buy a front stand and I can't decide between the pin in bottom of the forks type or one with the two horizontal pins that catch the bottom and rear of the lower forks. What do you all prefer? Why?

I've been riding sport bikes with no center stands since 92' and have gotten by without one. Now I don't have any bike riding friends around where I live to bum off of and I'm going to have to buy one. Actually a rear stand will lift mine by putting the flats under the caliper mounts, but since I am going the have to buy something it might as well be a real front stand.

fasternyou929
04-27-2009, 08:24 PM
I have the Pit Bull stand that does both. Get that one. :) The bottom for lift is good for quick set-up, but the center pin type has advantages:

1. you can remove/install the wheel without setting it back down (you should not loosen/tighten pinch bolts while on a bottom lift type stand because the added pressure on the lower forks can strip threads)
2. you can remove the forks

Trip
04-27-2009, 08:35 PM
go with the pin in the triple tree, you can pull your forks and work on them.

was92v
04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
When I said pins, I really meant studs that go into the holes in the bottom of the forks.

I'm not going to buy a center pin lift, just a fork lift. I'm thinking a Black Widow universal looks like something I can use without spending too much money.

I also wonder if the center stand used on Euro Honda F4's compromises ground clearance much? factory center stands are the bomb if they don't kill your lean angle..

NONE_too_SOFT
04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
go w/ the tripple tree stand, or at least one that can be upgraded. I wish i had.

was92v
04-27-2009, 10:08 PM
go w/ the tripple tree stand, or at least one that can be upgraded. I wish i had.

I have yet to try one that didn't hit the bodywork. If I have to take the body work off (Honda! like 19 fasteners just for the for the lowers..) to raise it I would just jack it up and stick a couple of jack stands under it. :) no really.

My old fart brain thinks that for the price of a pit bull triple tree lift, I could buy a 1 ton engine hoist and put a lift pin on the end of the boom. In fact with a little creative thought the whole damn bike could be lifted. hum..

azoomm
04-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I have http://www.powerstands.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=43&Product_ID=15&CATID=3

My 998 lower triple doesn't have a hole for a pin, so I went with the one that just wraps around the lower triple. Besides, they make the best single-sided swingarm stands out there - MUCH better than my pit-bull in that the arm is longer which means better leverage. :dthumb:

Cutty72
04-27-2009, 11:12 PM
If you are not going to go with a triple tree stand, then get one with the two rubber knobs that the bottom of the fork rest on. It will be more solid than one with pins in the bottom of the forks.

Riceaholic
04-28-2009, 12:44 AM
I've had the pins in the fork legs for years. (I've never pulled my fork legs off at the track though.)

No Worries
04-28-2009, 12:46 AM
...I also wonder if the center stand used on Euro Honda F4's compromises ground clearance much? factory center stands are the bomb if they don't kill your lean angle..

Center stands are so unbelievably useful, I can't believe that manufacturers don't put them on just to save a few pounds. Both my bikes have them, and I use them every time I park my bike. If you get one, you can always take it off for the track.

was92v
04-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I have a plan now.

Phenix_Rider
04-28-2009, 07:33 AM
No one else mentioned T-Rex stands, but I love mine.

z06boy
04-28-2009, 09:31 AM
I have the Pit Bull stand that does both. Get that one. :) The bottom for lift is good for quick set-up, but the center pin type has advantages:

1. you can remove/install the wheel without setting it back down (you should not loosen/tighten pinch bolts while on a bottom lift type stand because the added pressure on the lower forks can strip threads)
2. you can remove the forks

Yep that's the route I went. Found a great deal on a used one.