PDA

View Full Version : Disposable Tundra's

pauldun170
04-29-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/29/reports-of-aggressively-rusting-toyota-pickup-frames-mounting/

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/19294258/detail.html

Mikey
04-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Those articles are obvious fabrications. Everybody knows that Toyotas are perfect in every way.

I knew a guy once who ran a Toyota pickup with nothing but gravel in the gas tank and concrete mix in the crankcase. For 8872645786234987238467592375934 miles. On the surface of the sun. He'd still have it if it wasn't stolen by Mexican drug runners. They wanted it for it's ability to withstand anti-tank rounds, haul 475 metric shit-tons of marijuana and cocaine, and still be able to break the sound barrier in first gear. True story.

MILK
04-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Those articles are obvious fabrications. Everybody knows that Toyotas are perfect in every way.

I knew a guy once who ran a Toyota pickup with nothing but gravel in the gas tank and concrete mix in the crankcase. For 8872645786234987238467592375934 miles. On the surface of the sun. He'd still have it if it wasn't stolen by Mexican drug runners. They wanted it for it's ability to withstand anti-tank rounds, haul 475 metric shit-tons of marijuana and cocaine, and still be able to break the sound barrier in first gear. True story.

:lol: Wow that sounds exactly like my Camry!

BobTheBiker
04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
sounds more like people neglecting their vehicles and not washing em like they should. common sense isnt it?

Mikey
04-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Seriously? How often do you crawl under your truck to thoroughly wash and dry your frame?

Rsv1000R
04-29-2009, 02:30 PM
sounds more like people neglecting their vehicles and not washing em like they should. common sense isnt it?

lol
No really I laugh!

Particle Man
04-29-2009, 03:14 PM
the gazillion tons of salt they throw down in the winter can't be helping either. yikes.

CasterTroy
04-29-2009, 03:21 PM
Guess hey don't make em like they use too :idk:

http://www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota_images/toyota_hilux_27_05_04.jpg

BobTheBiker
04-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Seriously? How often do you crawl under your truck to thoroughly wash and dry your frame?

you ever been to a carwash that washes the underside as well? those help I think. fuck, if you live in a northern state wehre you see salt on the road, spring for teh extra money when you buy a vehicle and get the underside coated in rhino liner or something. I aint sure if they cover frames with that shit, but I'd think it'd sure help.

Particle Man
04-29-2009, 04:58 PM
you ever been to a carwash that washes the underside as well? those help I think. fuck, if you live in a northern state wehre you see salt on the road, spring for teh extra money when you buy a vehicle and get the underside coated in rhino liner or something. I aint sure if they cover frames with that shit, but I'd think it'd sure help.

every car I've owned was undercoated. I regularly get 150,000+ miles out of each vehicle.

Rsv1000R
04-29-2009, 05:03 PM

They don't, and for the most part undercoatings barely offered anymore, mostly because it didn't seem to help all that much.

You can't wash it enough to keep it off during the winter, cause as soon as your drive it it kicks up salt again, and it does this until the spring rains wash it off the roads. As well as it's a real bitch to have your door freeze shut after you wash your car in the middle of winter.

Rsv1000R
04-29-2009, 05:06 PM
every car I've owned was undercoated. I regularly get 150,000+ miles out of each vehicle.

Dealers around here hardly even offer it, Plus how long did it take for that 150,000? The underside of my 40k mile 2000 GMC pickup looks like those pictures.

Particle Man
04-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Dealers around here hardly even offer it, Plus how long did it take for that 150,000? The underside of my 40k mile 2000 GMC pickup looks like those pictures.

few years at most

Rsv1000R
04-29-2009, 05:14 PM
few years at most

Well, let me know how the undercoating was working 8-10 winters later, what I remember of the car that had it, they still rotted away.

Particle Man
04-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Well, let me know how the undercoating was working 8-10 winters later, what I remember of the car that had it, they still rotted away.

my wife tends to keep cars for 12+ years so I'll let you know :lol:

her last one with undercoating lasted pretty well and that was a little Dodge Colt.

Cutty72
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM

When I worked at a dealership, we offered it on every vehicle sold, from the brand new Lincolns, to the $500 POS out back.

85% walked out without it cause it wasn't worth the $100 I was charging for a lifetime warrany on it. :idk:

101lifts2
04-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Cheap tinscrap IMO. :zowned:

askmrjesus
04-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Toyota bought my Tacoma back from me for 1.5 times the book value, just like in the article.

I'm not even sure how they tracked me down, since I wasn't the original owner (DMV, I guess).

Apparently (or so I'm told) the factory used some shitty primer, which caused the premature rust problem.

The truck had 205K, a broken leaf spring, and was ready for brakes and tires.

They also gave me a voucher for $1000.00 off of any certified used replacement, which I used on my new (used) truck, and a free rental car.

Boy did I get :zowned:

JC

101lifts2
04-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Toyota bought my Tacoma back from me for 1.5 times the book value, just like in the article.

I'm not even sure how they tracked me down, since I wasn't the original owner (DMV, I guess).

Apparently (or so I'm told) the factory used some shitty primer, which caused the premature rust problem.

The truck had 205K, a broken leaf spring, and was ready for brakes and tires.

They also gave me a voucher for $1000.00 off of any certified used replacement, which I used on my new (used) truck, and a free rental car.

Boy did I get :zowned:

JC

Prolly cause there were some cases of fire or something..lol

Toyota usually won't pay for shit, esp. out of warranty unless the government steps in and makes them. They had a slew of engines in their minivans that burned too much oil...many people took them to court and they only gave them an extended warranty.

I would venture to say you made all that ish up.

askmrjesus
04-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Prolly cause there were some cases of fire or something..lol

No, there were some cases of frame failure at one of the weld points.

I would venture to say you made all that ish up.

I didn't believe it myself when they handed me a check, but then again, they bought me a new truck and you didn't, so fuck you. :lol:

JC

Porkchop
04-29-2009, 11:57 PM

JC

Hmmmmm..... that would do it..... :panic:

101lifts2
04-30-2009, 01:18 AM

I didn't believe it myself when they handed me a check, but then again, they bought me a new truck and you didn't, so fuck you. :lol:

JC

Frames cracking is a saftey issue. I can assure you the government forced them to repurchase or fix certain vehicles and not of Toyotas "good will". I've seen it many many times with Japanese OEMs. Your vehicle prolly costs more to repair then to just buy the vehicle outright.

Rangerscott
04-30-2009, 01:34 AM
Had a guy on my 4x4 get a new pickup because of his Toyota pickup frame rusting out.

Rsv1000R
04-30-2009, 07:59 AM
Cheap tinscrap IMO. :zowned:

While my frame hasn't broken in two, my GMC truck has horrible rust.
The bolt heads on the transfer case have swelled up so much they look round.
I've had to replace all of the brakelines
The fuel lines are as bad as the brakelines, it just hasn't split yet.
I can't remove the fuel filter, see above. But it's only 10k miles past the 30k change interval (for the math impaired that's 40k miles on it).
The factory rotors lasted about 1 winter before they pitted so bad chunks started flaking off of them.

askmrjesus
04-30-2009, 09:01 AM
Frames cracking is a saftey issue. I can assure you the government forced them to repurchase or fix certain vehicles and not of Toyotas "good will". I've seen it many many times with Japanese OEMs. Your vehicle prolly costs more to repair then to just buy the vehicle outright.

That may well be, but I doubt the government forced them to buy it back at 1.5 times retail blue book, and throw in a rental car and a cash inventive to repurchase one of their vehicles.

Rsv, you get any letters offering to fix or replace your GMC?

No, didn't think so.

I guess brake lines aren't a safety issue.

JC

Rsv1000R
04-30-2009, 10:11 AM
That may well be, but I doubt the government forced them to buy it back at 1.5 times retail blue book, and throw in a rental car and a cash inventive to repurchase one of their vehicles.

Rsv, you get any letters offering to fix or replace your GMC?

No, didn't think so.

I guess brake lines aren't a safety issue.

JC

Hell no, But to be fair I never complained about the brake lines it was well out of warranty. On the other hand I did complain about the rust after about 3-4 years, and I was told it was normal for my part of the country.

What pisses me off, is that for a few hundred $'s in better metal that I'd gladly pay, it doesn't have to be this way.

Rider
04-30-2009, 01:00 PM

They don't, and for the most part undercoatings barely offered anymore, mostly because it didn't seem to help all that much.

You can't wash it enough to keep it off during the winter, cause as soon as your drive it it kicks up salt again, and it does this until the spring rains wash it off the roads. As well as it's a real bitch to have your door freeze shut after you wash your car in the middle of winter.

I had my Maxima undercoated when I bought it new in 97. 12 years and 127K miles later I have zero rust. Living in MI I see American cars looking like rusted out shit boxes in less than 10 years. Undercoating and frequent under body cleanings in the winter will substantially increase the life of your vehicle.

Rsv1000R
04-30-2009, 01:27 PM
My wifes 8 yr old Jeep which wasn't undercoated either looked a lot better than my GMC at 8 years.

So while UC might have helped the Maxima, it could have just been better metal.

Rider
04-30-2009, 01:30 PM
My wifes 8 yr old Jeep which wasn't undercoated either looked a lot better than my GMC at 8 years.

So while UC might have helped the Maxima, it could have just been better metal.

True, I see lots of old Maximas still on the road and they too are pretty much rust free.

RCM78
04-30-2009, 03:16 PM
This is a known issue on tacoma's. Toyota has a program going right now if your taco falls within a certain vin range and has enough rust on the frame they will buy it back for 1.5X the book value.

Looks like they have the same problem with the tundras of the same time frame.