PDA

View Full Version : Painting questions.

DLIT
03-27-2008, 08:56 AM
I have to save my money in case we move here soon. So I've decided my only option is to rattle can it. I want to take my time, put multiple coats on it and then wet-sand it. Here's some questions.

1. Do I start to wet-sand once the coat is completely dry?
2. What grit of paper should I use?
3. What's the best paint I should use (because the plastics have to flex, I don't want the paint to crack)?

That's all the questions I have for now. I'm sure I'll have more.

JoJoYZF
03-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Id probably use a couple different sand papers on it. Start with something like a 220 or finer and then get finer as you go in order to get the smoothest finish. As far as paint goes, the one that flexs the most is latex, but most spray paints are oil based. I know that Rustoleum has a paint made specific for plastic that would probably work well or they have one line that is called Painters Touch that is a latex spray paint.

OneSickPsycho
03-30-2008, 01:27 AM
1. Yes
2. 600 grit or similar is what I would use
3. Krylon Fusion or something like it... No primer needed on plastics with that shit...

Mr Lefty
03-30-2008, 01:35 AM
here... I bookmarked this a while back..
http://www.cbrforum.com/m_484838/tm.htm

should help a bit

jalaan1
03-30-2008, 02:40 AM
good info to know, gonna do one of my lowers in about a week or so.

rattle can also.

Dnyce
03-31-2008, 03:47 AM
are you talkin bout your track plastics/fiberglass, or your street stuff?

DLIT
03-31-2008, 03:53 AM
My track 'glass. I actually dropped it off to a guy from a local forum to paint it. Little ghost flame action in a couple spots.

Amber Lamps
03-31-2008, 04:14 AM
I know you're trying to save money but if you know ANYONE in the bodyshop biz and especially if you're willing to wait or aren't picky with color. I've gotten a whole bike painted for $60 before. I would at least check into it. It seems alot of shops will do it cheap because it's a change of pace,someone there rides or something. Just tell them you'll bring in the parts ready for paint and as long as you're not color fussy and have time to wait and will buff it out yourself,the most time consuming part of the process,btw. I'll bet you can get a deal. Heck if you do it yourself,you'll spend $100 in supplys,not to mention ALOT of time. Note,try going in the back and asking a peon,you may get lucky and they'll do it on the side. FYI I got all of the white parts of my bike,including the rims,which he broke down dis/remounted and balanced the tires,in pearl white. Plus he did the white stripe on the tank and re-clear coated it. Total job $140. Oh did I mention that he picked up the bike,took the parts off the bike,painted them and reinstalled them and then delivered the bike back to me when it was done? Heck,I gave him an extra $20! He makes $10 an hour at the body shop,he worked on my bike on a Sat for about 8 hours.

Mr Lefty
03-31-2008, 04:18 AM
I know you're trying to save money but if you know ANYONE in the bodyshop biz and especially if you're willing to wait or aren't picky with color. I've gotten a whole bike painted for $60 before. I would at least check into it. It seems alot of shops will do it cheap because it's a change of pace,someone there rides or something. Just tell them you'll bring in the parts ready for paint and as long as you're not color fussy and have time to wait and will buff it out yourself,the most time consuming part of the process,btw. I'll bet you can get a deal. Heck if you do it yourself,you'll spend $100 in supplys,not to mention ALOT of time. Note,try going in the back and asking a peon,you may get lucky and they'll do it on the side. FYI I got all of the white parts of my bike,including the rims,which he broke down dis/remounted and balanced the tires,in pearl white. Plus he did the white stripe on the tank and re-clear coated it. Total job $140. Oh did I mention that he picked up the bike,took the parts off the bike,painted them and reinstalled them and then delivered the bike back to me when it was done? Heck,I gave him an extra $20! He makes $10 an hour at the body shop,he worked on my bike on a Sat for about 8 hours.
if you can hook a brother up I'd ship my shit to ya next winter and get it painted while my bike is getting powdercoated...

DLIT
03-31-2008, 05:02 AM
I already dropped them off and paid half. I'm very excited to see how it'll look.

Amber Lamps
03-31-2008, 05:58 AM
good decision. I've never seen a really good rattle can job. Besides,like I said,you'll end up spending close to the same loot anyway. How much btw?

Oh and Ebbs,sorry I don't live in Mi anymore...

DLIT
03-31-2008, 06:01 AM
I'm gonna wait to announce the price. I'm hoping the result matches the price. You guys will be the judge.

Amber Lamps
03-31-2008, 06:05 AM
hmmm ok,now I'm curious.....

Mr Lefty
03-31-2008, 06:22 AM
well if you approve we will... your the most anal mother fucker I know when it comes to detail... :lol:

DLIT
03-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Believe me, it's nothing complicated or anything like that. It's very, very basic with a little custom flare. When I left his house, I felt goof that I'm going to get something clean and smooth. He's also putting more coats of paint and clear on the front leading edge to help prevent chips. And there's gona be some airbrushed ghost flames. Just a little bit though.

LaFemmes
04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Sorry,
Cant help you here, the only thing I know how to paint are my toe nails and my finger nails.

t-homo
04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Sorry,
Cant help you here, the only thing I know how to paint are my toe nails and my finger nails.

that's kinda the same though right?

Dnyce
04-03-2008, 12:06 AM
my dads a painter-but 4hrs is a bit far for a paint job. cant wait to see it

Quick281
04-03-2008, 02:36 AM
Also looking forward to this paint job.

marko138
04-03-2008, 08:20 AM
You're on to something with that scheme, Tigs. You gotta find the kids at the shop who are still cutting teeth. Give them some side action mcgillicutty. You'll get good results and way cheaper rate.

Amber Lamps
04-03-2008, 04:18 PM
You're on to something with that scheme, Tigs. You gotta find the kids at the shop who are still cutting teeth. Give them some side action mcgillicutty. You'll get good results and way cheaper rate.

Exactly,I'm really happy with my bike! The guy worked his butt off and APOLOGIZED for some minor imperfection.

fpzx10
04-03-2008, 04:26 PM
well if you approve we will... your the most anal mother fucker I know when it comes to detail... :lol:

:bn: