PDA

View Full Version : Manny to serve 50-game suspension

Lucky3623
05-07-2009, 12:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4148907

Major League Baseball announced Thursday that Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Manny Ramirez has been suspended for 50 games for violating its drug policy.

The commissioner's office didn't announce the specific violation by Ramirez, who will lose about one-third of his $25 million salary.

Ramirez's test result was first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

Curb
05-07-2009, 12:42 PM
i'd like to say that this a case of Manny being Manny...but if his story is legit then I think its F'ed up that he is being suspended. Sports has to make exceptions to the rules in cases of personal health. If it turns out that this drug was prescribed by his doctor then he really shouldn't be suspended for 50 games. And if MLB is so worried about doping then they should have an approved list of doctors that players can visit...its really getting old and fast!

bmblebee
05-07-2009, 01:09 PM
With all the issues about "performancing enhancing drugs" That have been around since the '90's and including the reports about McGuire and Sosa and the book by Canseco, or the problems A Rod is having right now, do we need to include talking about Bonds using steroids...any player caught using a banned substance should be banned from the game...period?

Just because he gets a doctor to write a prescription doesn't make it OK...Didn't Limbaugh face prosecution because he was doctor shopping to get the drugs he wanted?

No Way you can ever convince me cheating is OK

Lucky3623
05-07-2009, 01:56 PM
I'd like to say that this a case of Manny being Manny...but if his story is legit then I think its F'ed up that he is being suspended. Sports has to make exceptions to the rules in cases of personal health. If it turns out that this drug was prescribed by his doctor then he really shouldn't be suspended for 50 games. And if MLB is so worried about doping then they should have an approved list of doctors that players can visit...its really getting old and fast!

Athletes are responsible for anything they put in their bodies... period. Being paid that much to be an elite athlete, you should know EVERYTHING going into your body, especially if it's the RULES.

Just my .02

Curb
05-07-2009, 02:19 PM
You know that acetametphine (sp?) is a banned substance, so one must take ibuprophin...but what if the ibuprophin doesn't work on you and you need to take the acetametaphine...you then get a drug test and bam, you are served a 50 game suspension because you took an asprin instead of an advil. And last time I checked asprin didn't help you're HR count.

Cheating is cheating if you are taking something other than a prescribed drug other than to heal your body from a sickness or injury. Andy Pettite admitted to taking steroids while on the DL list a few years back to get his body healed...no one blamed him for cheating...why is it a double standard then?

t-homo
05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
This blows. I'm really hoping his story holds up. I am a boston fan, and also a fan of manny. I wish he would have gone about wanting out of the red sox differently, but he's still a hell of a player. He's taken like 15 drug tests and never tested positive till now.

Curb
05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
This blows. I'm really hoping his story holds up. I am a boston fan, and also a fan of manny. I wish he would have gone about wanting out of the red sox differently, but he's still a hell of a player. He's taken like 15 drug tests and never tested positive till now.
that's why i'm on his side on this one...and as a die hard Yankee fan its hard.

goof2
05-07-2009, 03:46 PM
You know that acetametphine (sp?) is a banned substance, so one must take ibuprophin...but what if the ibuprophin doesn't work on you and you need to take the acetametaphine...you then get a drug test and bam, you are served a 50 game suspension because you took an asprin instead of an advil. And last time I checked asprin didn't help you're HR count.

Cheating is cheating if you are taking something other than a prescribed drug other than to heal your body from a sickness or injury. Andy Pettite admitted to taking steroids while on the DL list a few years back to get his body healed...no one blamed him for cheating...why is it a double standard then?

He and other players are paying the price for the cheaters in the league. MLB allowed a situation to continue for so long MLB had to go over the top in the other direction. If they hadn't the US Congress was going to step in. What remains is if a player can't survive without drugs on the banned substance list that player should quit the league. Nobody is forcing them to play baseball, it is a choice for the player to make.

Pettite took them before the league had banned them, which is why he didn't receive a ban. He also admitted to taking them later. I blame him for cheating. So did the Mitchell Report.

Curb
05-07-2009, 06:22 PM
He and other players are paying the price for the cheaters in the league. MLB allowed a situation to continue for so long MLB had to go over the top in the other direction. If they hadn't the US Congress was going to step in. What remains is if a player can't survive without drugs on the banned substance list that player should quit the league. Nobody is forcing them to play baseball, it is a choice for the player to make.

Pettite took them before the league had banned them, which is why he didn't receive a ban. He also admitted to taking them later. I blame him for cheating. So did the Mitchell Report.

Look, this whole thing is ridiculous, ok. People need to stop look at sports as a business. These men are paid to preform everyday. we also need to remember that they are human beings and risk injury and illness everyday. unfortunately major league sports has to understand the line between cheating and healing. I stand behind what I have always said...It is bullshit if a sports player has an illness and can't walk into any drug store and buy sudafed or asprin to help alleviate the symptoms because he risks a 50 game suspension because people think he is cheating because a banned substance shows up.

here is an idea folks...next time you have a headache or cold...do nothing and see how it feels and then go to the gym for two hours and do a normal workout and remember that this is the life of an athlete. because that is what i get from most people...these guys are paid millions so they SHOULD have to suck it up.

baby Ray
05-07-2009, 07:19 PM
f all them over paid dickheads:lol:

goof2
05-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Look, this whole thing is ridiculous, ok. People need to stop look at sports as a business. These men are paid to preform everyday. we also need to remember that they are human beings and risk injury and illness everyday. unfortunately major league sports has to understand the line between cheating and healing. I stand behind what I have always said...It is bullshit if a sports player has an illness and can't walk into any drug store and buy sudafed or asprin to help alleviate the symptoms because he risks a 50 game suspension because people think he is cheating because a banned substance shows up.

here is an idea folks...next time you have a headache or cold...do nothing and see how it feels and then go to the gym for two hours and do a normal workout and remember that this is the life of an athlete. because that is what i get from most people...these guys are paid millions so they SHOULD have to suck it up.

A sports player can't go to a drug store and buy sudafed or asprin because some of the chemicals they contain can give them an unfair advantage. What is MLB supposed to do when someone tests positive? If the guy shows up with half a box of sudafed everything is cool?

Cry me a river about the life of an athlete. If they don't like the lifestyle being a professional athlete requires there are other career paths that might suit them better.

ontwo
05-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Look, Curb. This guy was taking gonadatropin. Look it up. The motherfucker was cheating. Fuck him. I like Manny. But he got caught. he is being made an example.

Don't compare what he was takin to Tylenol. he knew it was illegal. Time to pay the piper

Curb
05-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Look, Curb. This guy was taking gonadatropin. Look it up. The motherfucker was cheating. Fuck him. I like Manny. But he got caught. he is being made an example.

Don't compare what he was takin to Tylenol. he knew it was illegal. Time to pay the piper
ok fine...what i've read about this whole thing there was no talk of what he had taken. now that it has come out what he had taken (and i looked it up:)) he deserves what he got.

and i'm done with this subject now

bmblebee
05-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Any athlete, especially one making 25 mil per year, should have a support system that knows the rules.

If an athlete gets injured and he/she seeks medical care, they should have their provider go to the governing body with the diagnosis and regimen of treatment to work out an acceptable plan to avoid this situation.

No way MLB would not have worked with one of their top players who puts fans in seats to allow for treatment for injury. He was cheating and got caught. He has thrown his career away, not lost it.

t-homo
05-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I :lol:ed at what it was he was taking. Womens fertility drug.

goof2
05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Any athlete, especially one making 25 mil per year, should have a support system that knows the rules.

If an athlete gets injured and he/she seeks medical care, they should have their provider go to the governing body with the diagnosis and regimen of treatment to work out an acceptable plan to avoid this situation.

No way MLB would not have worked with one of their top players who puts fans in seats to allow for treatment for injury. He was cheating and got caught. He has thrown his career away, not lost it.

MLB actually does have provisions in their drug testing policy for special cases. If a player has a medical issue that requires a drug on the banned substances list he can go to MLB and request a specific exception for himself.

t-homo
05-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Look, this whole thing is ridiculous, ok. People need to stop look at sports as a business. These men are paid to preform everyday.

Tell the owners its not a business. Especially when you look at the Rays last year. As much as I hate the Rays (for their bandwagon fans and for beating Boston), their story is pretty incredible. The guy who bought em was a 29 year old who had made all of his money in business and on the stock market, but loved baseball and wanted to make it his business. Look it up sometime. The full story is awesome.

What is the difference between them performing their "job" and you? Either way, you are getting paid for what you are hired to do. Look at is as a business and you will see its not much difference at all.

Rider
05-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Who? Oh.. Yeah I don't give a fuck about baseball.

t-homo
05-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Who? Oh.. Yeah I don't give a fuck about baseball.

Woman.

TommyHotWheel
05-09-2009, 10:06 PM
Hockey...FTW!

Tmall
05-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Playing sports yourself for the win!

Homeslice
05-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Playing sports yourself for the win!
Plus one, quit wasting time watching strangers.

:lol

Back on topic, I can't believe some of the risks these guys take. If I earned a salary like that I wouldn't be going to the drug store to circumvent the team doctor :?: