PDA

View Full Version : Bike Detailing

Rider
02-26-2008, 12:48 PM
What do you guys use to detail your bikes? I use Yamaha brand Bike Polish, but I keep hearing good things about Plexis. Anybody use that stuff?

Beefcake Morris
02-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Well, for the inbetween waxes I use plexis. I have found that it leaves no residue and works great with micro fiber towels.

I am still a huge fan though of the 3 step mothers waxing system with a final coat of spray detail at the end of the steps. Getting ready to do the 3 step here for bike week.

marko138
02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
I use plain old car washing soap for a real deal wash. For a quick wipe down I have some spray stuff that works pretty well....don't know the brand off the top of my head.

neebelung
02-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Well, for the inbetween waxes I use plexis. I have found that it leaves no residue and works great with micro fiber towels.

I am still a huge fan though of the 3 step mothers waxing system with a final coat of spray detail at the end of the steps. Getting ready to do the 3 step here for bike week.

Personally I'm a fan of Honda Polish, but Beefcake is by far the expert on detailing... :bowdown:

marko138
02-26-2008, 01:09 PM
Personally I'm a fan of Honda Polish, but Beefcake is by far the expert on detailing... :bowdown:

I've heard alot of people say nothing but good things about Honda Polish.

Rider
02-26-2008, 01:12 PM
My bike never gets dirty enough to take a hose to it. I dont ride in the rain and I dont ever ride through water. I just use my polish after every ride. I've had it 2 years and it's never seen the hose once and it still looks showroom condition. I have only put 8500 miles on it though. :cry:

fpzx10
02-26-2008, 02:13 PM
+1 on the Honda Polish

fpzx10
02-26-2008, 02:14 PM
:dvrofl:

Mr Lefty
02-26-2008, 10:57 PM
+1 on the Honda Polish

THAT'S FUCKING PRICELESS!

I just use Maguires Quick Detail Spray... I've washed my bike with water exactly twice... when i first got it... and right before I put it up this last October (as it's gonna sit for almost a year) after a ride though it gets a nice spray down of Maguire's Quick Detail wax and a rub down... it'll even take off the bugs!

just keep it off your mirrors... or you'll need to clean those with a good glass cleaner(not windex) to get them clean again.

Gas Man
02-26-2008, 11:13 PM
Hands down the best stuff out is Wizards. They offer a whole line of products!

Trip
02-27-2008, 11:46 AM
+1 on the Honda Polish

Ah yeah, first person to get hit by the plus1 similie. Nice.

fpzx10
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Ah yeah, first person to get hit by the plus1 similie. Nice.

I think I'm just gonna use it all the time as my plus one. It'll make the noobs go :wtf:

marko138
02-27-2008, 01:53 PM
THAT'S FUCKING PRICELESS!

I just use Maguires Quick Detail Spray... I've washed my bike with water exactly twice... when i first got it... and right before I put it up this last October (as it's gonna sit for almost a year) after a ride though it gets a nice spray down of Maguire's Quick Detail wax and a rub down... it'll even take off the bugs!

just keep it off your mirrors... or you'll need to clean those with a good glass cleaner(not windex) to get them clean again.

I have a bottle of that stuff. I just got it. Works great.

Mr Lefty
02-27-2008, 03:35 PM
I have a bottle of that stuff. I just got it. Works great.

as long as your not trying to clean up 4 rides worth of dried on bug guts your good... I've yet to see anything NOT come off with this stuff when applied after a ride... even the next morning... but once you get outside that window it doesn't work nearly as well on the bugs and stuff... then again not much does short of degreaser:lol:

Cutty72
02-28-2008, 08:25 PM
I put on the paint sealant when i first got the bike... (yes the stuff that auto dealers try to sell you when you buy a new car... that's what i do)
the stuff WORKS, makes it WAY easier to clean the bike later.

I've put water to my bike a few times... but then again, I ride in the rain, or anything else, so it takes a bit to clean it.

mondos06cbr1000
03-02-2008, 01:11 PM
wash it with regular meguiars car wash, dry her off with terry cloths, then use Honda Polish:dthumb:

i have claybarred my BMW and it came out great but id be a little nervous to try it on the bike:idk:

Cutty72
03-02-2008, 02:44 PM
wash it with regular meguiars car wash, dry her off with terry cloths, then use Honda Polish:dthumb:

i have claybarred my BMW and it came out great but id be a little nervous to try it on the bike:idk:

why???

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 03:09 PM
I thought claybars wouldn't do shit cept on the tank... cause there's no clear coat on the fairings..

Cutty72
03-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I thought claybars wouldn't do shit cept on the tank... cause there's no clear coat on the fairings..

depends on what it is that you are trying to do..

if there is a paint scuff or something on the fairings, claybar should take it off... at least the color portion of it.

Mr Lefty
03-02-2008, 03:18 PM
depends on what it is that you are trying to do..

if there is a paint scuff or something on the fairings, claybar should take it off... at least the color portion of it.

ahh ok... Good to know