PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone BT-016 Review and BT-002 RS 1st Impression

Amber Lamps
05-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Well, I changed out my BT-016 tires for the BT-002 RS tires today and here's my take.

BT-016:
Good tires, at first I was leary of them especially at initial takeoff but I may have been unfair to the tires because as they wore in, they seemed to get better at launch. They were very stable and supremely predictable. I felt that even though they were at the end of their life, they acquitted themselves reasonably well at the Gap. They did turn a bit heavy though...

BT-002 RS:
Whoa! Instant confidence! I have enough time in the saddle to differentiate between new tire giddiness and an actual difference in profile. They remind me of an argument we had on this forum a while back about profile and tire size... even though it is labeled as a 190/50 allow me to emphatically assure you that the profile on these tires is much narrower and taller than the BT-016 tires they replace. These are the first tires in a long time that are making me reconsider my 36/42 tire pressure regimen. These babies literally fall into corners almost too easily. They would have been great at the Gap but they may take some getting used to on the long sweepers around here. I'll post more impressions as I have them. As a 1st impression... well if some of you Pirelli and Michelin snobs are willing to take a chance on tires that cost $239 shipped, I think that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

tached1000rr
05-20-2009, 11:54 PM
How many miles did you get out of the BT-016s?

I'm actually running the same pressure you referenced, 36/42 and when we go up into the mountains, GAP, Snake etc, I usually take a few psi out of each while there and add it back afterwards

HokieDNA01
05-21-2009, 12:36 AM
I actually just started using the BT021 sport touring tires and LOVE THEM. Never slipped once (well except for some gravel on the road) and are showing no signs of wear. I was only getting about 2500 miles out of the BT014s. I think I will be sticking with the 021's from now on.

tached1000rr
05-21-2009, 12:43 AM
I actually just started using the BT021 sport touring tires and LOVE THEM. Never slipped once (well except for some gravel on the road) and are showing no signs of wear. I was only getting about 2500 miles out of the BT014s. I think I will be sticking with the 021's from now on.

Wow, I got 48XX out of my 014 rear, and 7100 on that front. I did run them too long down to chords on the back and the front was close.

I like the sport touring compounds out there right now. On my 1000rr right now I have a Dunlop Qualifier on the front with the Dunlop Roadsmart on the rear, I love it with this setup, I've clocked 3400 miles on the rear and it appears it's going to make at to about 7,000 or so, I've not had any major slips and we ride pretty aggressive on the mountain roads of NC. I'm likely going to stick with this setup unless I find a killer deal like I just missed. A local shop had a one day only Pirelli special on Rossos set of 120/180 for $189 and 120/190 or $199.

t-homo
05-21-2009, 01:34 AM
I love my rossos. I'll show you what 1000 miles of superslab does to a pair of used stradas here in a few weeks though. A friend is using my rims with Rossos on em at a track day one weekend, then the next I am using his with stradas on em to do the iron butt. I'll get before and after pics.

I am most likely going to be putting 016s on mine after these rossos are toast.

was92v
05-21-2009, 07:31 AM
I got 3500 out of BT014 & 5000 out of BT021.

TYEster
05-21-2009, 08:27 AM
Have a set of 190/55s on the way... Thanks for at least posting the cyclesector link and getting me a set of tires real cheap.

BTW what's the manf date on yours?

Rider
05-21-2009, 09:24 AM
I wore through a set of BT021 in 3500 miles. PP's lasted 3500 miles and they were waaaaay better tires. BT016s had 3000 on them and I could probably go another 1000 or 2. The only thing I didnt like about the BT016 was that they took a lot longer to warm up and they slipped when cold. Once warm I was happy with their performance.

Amber Lamps
05-21-2009, 09:48 AM
I wore through a set of BT021 in 3500 miles. PP's lasted 3500 miles and they were waaaaay better tires. BT016s had 3000 on them and I could probably go another 1000 or 2. The only thing I didnt like about the BT016 was that they took a lot longer to warm up and they slipped when cold. Once warm I was happy with their performance.

Yea but PP and BT-021 are totally different tires, for completely different conditions/uses... I've run PPs myself and I guarantee that these BT-002 RS tires are as good if not better. What I don't know is how they'll stack up against Rossos and 2CTs.:idk: What I do know is that I'd try a 190/50 before I went with a 190/55 because this buns are tall!

marko138
05-21-2009, 10:06 AM
I think OTB has or had the 002's on his Bimota. They felt fine to me (with only about 100 miles on them)...but at the time I much prefered the Pilot Powers I was riding on.

Amber Lamps
05-21-2009, 10:09 AM
I think OTB has or had the 002's on his Bimota. They felt fine to me (with only about 100 miles on them)...but at the time I much prefered the Pilot Powers I was riding on.

You know there's always the comfort factor and what you are used to as well... I didn't think I could ever like a tire as much as the Diablos I've been running. It's really hard to say without running all the tires back to back.:idk:

marko138
05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
You know there's always the comfort factor and what you are used to as well... I didn't think I could ever like a tire as much as the Diablos I've been running. It's really hard to say without running all the tires back to back.:idk:
I hear ya. I swore I'd never run anything but PP...but I've grown fond of the Corsa III.

Amber Lamps
05-21-2009, 10:48 AM
I hear ya. I swore I'd never run anything but PP...but I've grown fond of the Corsa III.

Yea I remember the epic Michelin vs Pirelli battles we used to have on the old forum! :lol: Man, you guys were almost FANATIC about PPs!!!

marko138
05-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Yea I remember the epic Michelin vs Pirelli battles we used to have on the old forum! :lol: Man, you guys were almost FANATIC about PPs!!!
I'm still a fan. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Pilot Powers. The Pirelli's just happened to be on my bike when I bought it last year. They've performed admirably so I might as well stick with them.

dReWpY
05-21-2009, 02:01 PM
i love the pp and will prolly still be my tire of choice... but 225 for a set of 016's is hard to beat

CrazyKell
05-21-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm running the new BT016's at the Gap right now and absolutely LOVE these tires. Seriously, I've never been more in love with a set of tires than these bad boys. Amazing grip.....I heart them!

dReWpY
05-21-2009, 02:40 PM
not to change the topic too much...

best tires i have ever had on the pig...

pirelli supercorsa Dragon

insane amount of stick

insanely fast wear... until a 1k miles and there were toast

marko138
05-21-2009, 04:19 PM
i love the pp and will prolly still be my tire of choice... but 225 for a set of 016's is hard to beat
I don't worry about prices when it comes to tires. I buy what I like...why cheap out on tires? They is yo life, holmez.

DLIT
05-21-2009, 06:53 PM
The O16s are worth every penny. I wouldn't run 'em on the track myself, but they definitely are solid on the streets for me! Just make sure you aren't fucked into buying the OEM compound with that cheap price. I forget how to tell if it's the OEM compound or not, but worth looking into. The OEM compound is garbage, I've heard from buddies.

JoJoYZF
05-21-2009, 07:00 PM
The O16s are worth every penny. I wouldn't run 'em on the track myself, but they definitely are solid on the streets for me! Just make sure you aren't fucked into buying the OEM compound with that cheap price. I forget how to tell if it's the OEM compound or not, but worth looking into. The OEM compound is garbage, I've heard from buddies.

I saw a lot of people say that about the OEM ones before I bought mine. Most sites list them as Suzi or Kawi oem but Im sure some just say 016 and figure people wont know.

DLIT
05-21-2009, 07:10 PM
The OEMs and not OEMs have different letters (or numbers) on the sidewall.

Cutty72
05-22-2009, 01:18 AM

If I could get 5K out of a Corsa III, I'd run them constantly. Sadly, I cannot. After 2 tries, and an average of 3K per rear, I'm on PP's. We shall see how they do. Road 2's are next on the list for a rear tire.

Tmall
05-22-2009, 05:49 AM
If I could get 5K out of a Corsa III, I'd run them constantly. Sadly, I cannot. After 2 tries, and an average of 3K per rear, I'm on PP's. We shall see how they do. Road 2's are next on the list for a rear tire.

I have 3000 on a pilot road sitting in my basement, and it looks better then the corsa III I have on the bike with 1000 on it.

Ill be switching back as soon as I use up the pirellis.

I've never taken the pilot road beyond its grip, so I have no need for the corsa.

marko138
05-22-2009, 07:41 AM
I go with the same rationale on milage that I do on price: I dont care about it. I need it to work and I need it to grip. So if 3k is what I get out of a Corsa than so be it...but at the same time, I've got about nearly 3k miles on my Corsas and they look fucking great. So...right now I'm good for atleast 5k, IMO.

Maybe your application of the big twins throttle needs to be a little smoother, youngbuck. :lol:

Tmall
05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
I go with the same rationale on milage that I do on price: I dont care about it. I need it to work and I need it to grip. So if 3k is what I get out of a Corsa than so be it...but at the same time, I've got about nearly 3k miles on my Corsas and they look fucking great. So...right now I'm good for atleast 5k, IMO.

Maybe your application of the big twins throttle needs to be a little smoother, youngbuck. :lol:

If you went through more tires, I bet you'd care more.

3000 on the original tires on your bike? For some of use, that's 2 months of riding.

I've had mine a little over a year, and I'm on my third set of overpriced tires.

marko138
05-22-2009, 08:06 AM
If you went through more tires, I bet you'd care more.

3000 on the original tires on your bike? For some of use, that's 2 months of riding.

I've had mine a little over a year, and I'm on my third set of overpriced tires.
I buy 'em as I need 'em, brutha. Thats all I can do.

Rider
05-22-2009, 09:05 AM
The OEMs and not OEMs have different letters (or numbers) on the sidewall.

If it is an OEM tire, it will have an "OE" code on the side. In the case of my GSXR it was an M. If there is no OE code on the side then it in NOT an OEM spec tire.

Cutty72
05-22-2009, 01:20 PM

Oh I know that my throttle hand is very aggressive, and I know that leads to increased wear of the rear tire (but saves on the front when its not on the ground :lol:)

And I need my tires to grip and work as well. But if I can find a tire that will wear longer for the same or less money and still meet my traction needs, well then why not?

The only time I got the Corsa to step out was at the track, last session of the day, about 4 laps left of that session, full lean and WAY to hard on the gas coming out of the corner. I don't NEED that kind of stick on the street.

marko138
05-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Oh I know that my throttle hand is very aggressive, and I know that leads to increased wear of the rear tire (but saves on the front when its not on the ground :lol:)

And I need my tires to grip and work as well. But if I can find a tire that will wear longer for the same or less money and still meet my traction needs, well then why not?

The only time I got the Corsa to step out was at the track, last session of the day, about 4 laps left of that session, full lean and WAY to hard on the gas coming out of the corner. I don't NEED that kind of stick on the street.
hahahahahahha....I love torque. That is all. Back to you.

dReWpY
05-22-2009, 03:08 PM
torque>all

but i am in the same boat cutty is in, to balance tire life, cost and performance

101lifts2
05-25-2009, 10:38 PM
I thought the BT016 was stickier than the 002RS. I'll have to ask the Bridgestone Distributor the next time I get a new 003.

I always run race tires on the street..003..soft and medium and run 31/29 pressures..but we only run a 3 mile up and down and need the grip and the profile.

If I was running two hundred miles a weekend, then I'd run the hard races.