PDA

View Full Version : changing oil/filter

jalaan1
03-29-2008, 10:37 AM
hey guys,
this going to be my first time changing the oil and filter on my bike myself.
just a couple ?s

-should i go to a stealership and order an OEM filter and oil?
or do you guys recommend any particular online place.
-do you guys recommend any particular type/brand oil?
- i don't have stands for the bike, should that be a problem?
( i'm thinking not :idk: )

TIA

Cutty72
03-29-2008, 01:51 PM
hey guys,
this going to be my first time changing the oil and filter on my bike myself.
just a couple ?s

-should i go to a stealership and order an OEM filter and oil?
or do you guys recommend any particular online place.
-do you guys recommend any particular type/brand oil?
- i don't have stands for the bike, should that be a problem?
( i'm thinking not :idk: )

TIA

I have always used OEM filters on my bikes... Just a personal preferance, and I buy oil at the same time.
Stands are not necessary to change the oil, just make it easier. When you drain the oil, just be sure to stand it straight up for a bit to get all the oil out (depending on where your drain plug is)

Gas Man
03-29-2008, 02:28 PM
You can also get fram bike filters at the auto stores. Murrays auto around here also sells some MC oil.

marko138
03-29-2008, 03:13 PM
I use K&N filters. A little pricey...and I've used the fram's...and used OEM filters. They are all with in a few buck of each other. I use Repsol 10W40 synth blend. I buy it from www.sportbiketrackgear.com

No Worries
03-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Read this: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Consumables.html#OilFilters and make your own decision. I use the long Purolator Pure One filter on the CBR and GTX oil. But I have heard good things about Shell Rotella.

dReWpY
03-29-2008, 07:27 PM
amsoil and kn filter

NONE_too_SOFT
03-29-2008, 07:37 PM
just put a k&n on... as far as oil brands go, eh, just change em every few thousand miles and you're money.

WARputer
03-29-2008, 08:03 PM
K&N here too ....with any good synthetic .

PhiSig1071
03-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Stands do make it easier, but as long as you remember to stand the bike up to drain out all the oil then you'll be fine.

Get a K&N! Sportbike oil filters go on tight, if you've changed the oil in your car then you know you usually spin it on til it makes contact then tighten it a quarter to half turn (and it can still be a bitch to get off). Sportbike filters usually go on until they make contact then two complete turns to tighten, so you might not be able to get it off without stabbing it with a screwdriver. The K&N has a nut (kinda) at the end of the filter which makes it easier to get it on or off, especially after it's been on there a while and it's tight.

I have used Castrol Act-Evo non-syn (20k plus miles with no problems), Castrol R-4 Superbike full synthetic (handful of trackdays with no problems) and Mobil 1 full syn with great success. I have also heard very good things about Rotella-T full synthetic, which is a car oil. You can use car oil in a bike, just make absolutely sure it does not have "friction modifiers" such as molybendium in it, they bind to clutch plates and cause slippage. Generally if it says "with energy saving additives" you can't use it. For the slight difference in price I recommend using motorcycle specific fully synthetic oil.

A couple general things, (this is what I do) run the bike and get the oil hot, then allow it to cool until it is only slightly warm, then drain the oil. This is because the oil passages in a motorcycle are very small, if you start the bike and get the oil a little warm then there will be oil in the passages when you try to drain it. If you get it hot, then let it sit, it'll still be warm and drain easily, and there will be enough time for it to drain out of the head. Also make sure you put something on the mid-pipes (newspaper works great) or oil will get on them when you take off the filter. Some oil will still get on the mid-pipes, so the bike will smoke a little when you start it. Also, put in the required amount of oil in the bike, run it for a minute or two, then check the oil level as recommended by the owners manual. This will give the oil time to circulate into the oil passages in the head. If I can think of anything else I'll post it up.

Good Luck!

NONE_too_SOFT
03-29-2008, 08:36 PM
pretty right on. some bikes actually recommend you put the bike on its kickstand to drain because of the location of the plug. basically just be patient and give her time to drain.

after its drained, check your oil for debris, it may indicated abnormal engine wear. metal shavings, or anything else that looks odd.

and check your OM, because some plugs require you replace the o-ring after each change to ensure a proper seal.

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 12:04 AM
If you plan on keeping your bike I suggest a K&P oil filter... WAY WAY nicer!!!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Wrenchin/blingy003.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/Day13023.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/Day13040.jpg

Mr Lefty
03-30-2008, 12:06 AM
how much is that Gas? I remember think'n about the Scott's one.. but it was like $100+

PhiSig1071
03-30-2008, 12:07 AM
I didn't know KP made them for sportbikes.

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 12:10 AM
K&P makes them for everything... I think Scotts buys them from K&P.

K&P Application (http://www.kandpengineering.com/roadbikes.html)

I got a guy that is a deal for the K&Ps

And yes they are in the $100 range. But do the math on it... say $12+ per K&N... less than 9 oil changes and you're home free.

Plus I know a few guys that told me that after they went to the K&P, sense you wash it out yourself... you see everything that has been filtered. They found paper in there for a the first few changes.

Mr Lefty
03-30-2008, 12:13 AM
yeah that's what I was thinking... but I remember posting about it over at :twf: and ya'll talked me out of it by saying you've never seen a bike fail becuase of flow problems when it came to oil... :idk:

truth be known I've always been planning on getting one... just haven't done so... maybe in sept.

K&P makes them for everything... I think Scotts buys them from K&P.

yeah they have them linked on the "where to buy" section

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 12:28 AM
Yeah its not a flow or filtration thing that is bad. But these are better. Plus its one less thing to have to buy all the time. Plus for me it looks soooo much sweeter!!

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/Day13027.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/Day13033.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/Day13040.jpg

Oh and I emailed my guy that sells them... maybe he'll post up here... and yes he's a big dog guy... sorry.

Of coarse... you all would buy a black one... and save some cash. But the guy I have told to come here... also sells anadized colors too!

Mr Lefty
03-30-2008, 12:38 AM
shit I say if he's got knowledge about 2wheels he's more than welcome... but you might warn him to expect a bit of friendly ribbing :wink:

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 12:46 AM
Shit... I think he can take it... he's an ex-michigander that got smart...hence "EX" We can take alot...

Mr Lefty
03-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Shit... I think he can take it... he's an ex-michigander that got smart...hence "EX" We can take alot...

:lol: sounds good... now if you'd only get smart!

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 12:55 AM
No shit... but my family is here. Without family and friends I would be like OSP... just plain cranky!! :lol:

Mr Lefty
03-30-2008, 12:58 AM
No shit... but my family is here. Without family and friends I would be like OSP... just plain cranky!! :lol:

you've got Twowheel'd family nation wide... :dthumb:

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Yeah that is true... but...

And my job is here...

Uma and I are a very home body type people...

Mr Lefty
03-30-2008, 01:19 AM
fair enough... well I look forward to meeting ya both in September... with luck that is

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 01:25 AM
And I'll get to shack your hand for all you do for all of us

:pat:

Mr Lefty
03-30-2008, 01:34 AM
shack my hand huh... uh... no thanks... but Uma can shack my hand any day :lol:

jalaan1
03-30-2008, 02:27 AM
thanks, so far, for the info guys.:twfix:

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 11:13 AM
shake your hand isn't code for anything... get your mind out of the gutter you damn zoomy

DIMford
03-30-2008, 11:21 AM
You have taken a step into a larger world. You're changing the oil today. Tearing the bike down and doing a major overhaul tomorrow.

marko138
03-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I've heard issues of not enough micron filtering on the reusable filters.

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 11:34 AM
The K&P will filter down to a white blood cell.

marko138
03-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Impressive.

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Plus it has a magnetic pre-filter.

No Worries
03-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Speaking of filters, did you ever change oil on an old VW bug? They use a screen for a filter, just like a window screen. Keeps the big parts out of the pump and engine. Nothing filters out the acids like a good oil change.

OneSickPsycho
03-30-2008, 02:11 PM

Just in case.

Speaking of filters, did you ever change oil on an old VW bug? They use a screen for a filter, just like a window screen. Keeps the big parts out of the pump and engine. Nothing filters out the acids like a good oil change.

I think I remember Drewpy saying that's how the lil' Rebel was... or maybe it was the Nighthawk...

PhiSig1071
03-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I just did an oil change on the KTM, took a little less than an hour. I love working on bikes, it's therapeutic and fun. (Even though the KTM can be a bitch to do!)

Mr Lefty
03-30-2008, 08:49 PM
shake your hand isn't code for anything... get your mind out of the gutter you damn zoomy
you said Shack not shake... :lol:

Gas Man
03-31-2008, 12:01 AM
I just did an oil change on the KTM, took a little less than an hour. I love working on bikes, it's therapeutic and fun. (Even though the KTM can be a bitch to do!)

:withstupid:

you said Shack not shake... :lol:

:sorry::panic:

Amber Lamps
03-31-2008, 03:15 AM
I've checked into the re-useable filters several times. I just don't keep a bike past 3 years so it'll never pay for itself. Oh and I alwas use either Amsoil or Repsol 0w50. Although I think I'm gonna stick to Asoil 20w50 from now on. It's probably me but I feel as though I get excessive engine noise with the Repsol.

Oh and I emailed my guy that sells them... maybe he'll post up here... and yes he's a big dog guy... sorry.

Of coarse... you all would buy a black one... and save some cash. But the guy I have told to come here... also sells anadized colors too!

heck if your guy can get us a deal....:dthumb:

Gas Man
03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
I have told him about here... he's working on some sportbike setups. He also sells the dyna beads that Drewpy and I are using, digital HID kits, K&P filters, ect...

Cutty72
03-31-2008, 03:36 PM
I have told him about here... he's working on some sportbike setups. He also sells the dyna beads that Drewpy and I are using, digital HID kits, K&P filters, ect...

Sounds like a good guy to know.

Rider
03-31-2008, 03:41 PM
Just bought a 4 liter container of Repsol 4T Sintetico Synthetic Blend $25. :dthumb: Cheap....

dReWpY
03-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Just in case.

I think I remember Drewpy saying that's how the lil' Rebel was... or maybe it was the Nighthawk...

it was the rebel, it was funny to find out i wasnt crazy, i kept looking for a filter and i was right there wasnt any:badger::hs:

marko138
04-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Just bought a 4 liter container of Repsol 4T Sintetico Synthetic Blend $25. :dthumb: Cheap....
Thats what I use. I like it.