PDA

View Full Version : Bad Bike Day

JoJoYZF
05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
So I jumped on my bike and rode it up to the gym to lift today and it ran perfect for the short 2 mile trip. After I got done I go out to ride home and sure enough the thing wont start. I went over all the basic stuff, checked the choke was on (tried it on and off), made sure it was in neutral (also tried in first with the clutch pulled and neutral with clutch pulled), flipped the kill switch a few times and still nothing. The starter seems to work but the engine wont turn over. So i end up walking home since I couldnt get a hold of someone to give me a ride. I drive back up there and try it again in case I had flooded it and still nothing. To top it off no one had a truck I could use to get it home so I called the tow company figuring its only a bike and its only 2 miles, plus my insurance should reimburse me for it. They bring a full size car flatbed and ended up charging me $135 to put it on the flatbed, only tie it down with 2 straps, and then tow it 2 miles. Needless to say, we are waiting for a call back from the tow company's owner about the ridiculous charge. Not real happy with my bike right now. $135 spent and it still doesnt start and Ill probably have to pay a dealer to come get it and fix it since I dont have a truck or trailer, plus whatever it costs to fix it.

:rant:

tached1000rr
05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Damn, hate to hear that.

Curb
05-26-2009, 09:09 PM
did you try poppin the clutch? could it be the battery?

JoJoYZF
05-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Tried it and it seemed like it barely wanted to start that way too. It felt like it was trying but wasnt even close to fully starting. And I checked to make sure the battery connection was tight and it was still cranking strongly. Now the battery is getting close to being dead from all the tries so Ill be charging it again tonight to see if I can get it to start tomorrow morning.

Gas Man
05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Check the battery voltage... needs to be at least 12.8
Carbed right?

Has gas right?
Petcock not on off or on ON with too little gas... try reserve. (both have happened to even me)

Don't go taking it to the dealer right off.

Can you get the gas tank off and remove the aircleaner so we can see the carbs? Verify they are indeed getting gas.

Then once you are that far... remove a spark plug wire, hook in another one and see if its getting spark. Really any spark plug will do.

Could you also look at cleaning the solenoid contacts?

JoJoYZF
05-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Check the battery voltage... needs to be at least 12.8
Carbed right?

Has gas right?
Petcock not on off or on ON with too little gas... try reserve. (both have happened to even me)

Don't go taking it to the dealer right off.

Can you get the gas tank off and remove the aircleaner so we can see the carbs? Verify they are indeed getting gas.

Then once you are that far... remove a spark plug wire, hook in another one and see if its getting spark. Really any spark plug will do.

Could you also look at cleaning the solenoid contacts?

I was hoping youd chime in. The petcock hasnt been touched since its set up weird on this bike and the only switch seems to be under the tank. Battery Im going to have to get something to check. My first guess was either spark plugs or dirty carbs but I probably wont have time to tear it apart until friday to check those things. How hard is it to clean carbs and such if thats the issue? Ive never messed with a carb before.

tached1000rr
05-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Last time the bike has been ridden? Bad gas? Definitely check all listed above

Gas Man
05-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Carbs aren't hard to clean, but its the inspection that should be done by someone that knows what to look for. ALL OF WHICH shows the need for a service manual of some kind, whether it be a factory or aftermarket.

I always suggest people in your situation and wrench expierence. Get the carbs off yourself. Take them to a mechanic (not always the dealership but maybe a private shop) and get them cleaned and sync'ed.

Being that its not running at all, tells me that its not just dirty carbs. I would ask about the bad gas but it sounds like you ride it regulary and therefor fresh gas.

The petcock most likely has a screening on it. That screening could be clogged and not allowing gas flow. Clogged with anything from general debris to your tank lining breaking down. What do you mean never touched it and its under the tank? Its not a switch so much as its a valve. Below is a picture of my old big dog petcock (made by pingle) and you can see the screening and the tube. The long tube is the normal ON position being it sticks UP from the bottom of the carb. When the fuel level falls below that, you swing the valve to reserve where it picks up from the base of the petcock and allows you to further drain more gas from the tank.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Sand%20Gas/cleaning009.jpg

Does it have a fuel filter that could be clogged? This is why I would like to know for sure the carbs are getting gas. You can also put gas in a spray bottle and spray into the carbs and see if it starts that way...

I strgonly suggest you work on it yourself. Even though I hate working on down bikes during riding season it is part of the life.

Remember this... a motor is nothing more than a big air pump. It sucks air in, squeezes it and pumps air out. You only need 3 things, after the obvious compression, to start...

gas
air
spark

Air is always there
Gas has to get there and be fresh
spark has to present and is easy to verify

as I said being its not running ruff, and saying you have good gas... I am betting on eletrical. With your rockets.. I'm wondering if on your yam... will the various kill sensor like kickstand and shit. Do they enhibit the starter or just the ignition? Most of the time its the starter... so that brings up

Is your kickstand up or down while trying to start?
what about nuetral and clutch?

And correct me if I'm wrong... the bike is cranking over...

JoJoYZF
05-26-2009, 10:00 PM
The gas was just pumped into the bike last week and it has been probably 50 miles on this tank so I dont think its bad gas. The petcock valve on my bike is tucked under the tank for some reason so I dont use any type of reserve (unless Ive always just looked right by it).

I do have a haynes manual that I was looking through and getting the carbs off doesnt seem like itll be too hard so I probably will do what you suggest and take them up to a mechanic myself.

It could be a clogged filter somewhere and Ill hopefully be able to check those on friday. Im off all day and hoping to take everything apart to hopefully find the problem.

And yes, the bike is trying to crank and sounds strong when doing so, but the motor wont turn over. I didnt seem to smell any fuel like it was being flooded or anything which leads me to believe its the gas part of the start that may be the issue. I tried to start it both with the stand up, and with it down, like I usually start it.

racedoll
05-26-2009, 10:06 PM
You can always PM Erik (wideopen1) and he could give you some ideas or maybe even help you work on it since we aren't that far away.

I wouldn't take to a dealer just yet. Exhaust all options first.

JoJoYZF
05-26-2009, 10:29 PM
You can always PM Erik (wideopen1) and he could give you some ideas or maybe even help you work on it since we aren't that far away.

I wouldn't take to a dealer just yet. Exhaust all options first.

I may take you up on that, I didnt even remember he was on the board.

I probably wont be taking it to a dealer unless I cant figure it out or if I take just the carbs to someone to work on.

racedoll
05-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, he just registered a week or so ago.
He is still home all day.. no job yet unfortunately.

Don't be afraid to ask. We will help where we can!

JoJoYZF
05-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Yeah, he just registered a week or so ago.
He is still home all day.. no job yet unfortunately.

Don't be afraid to ask. We will help where we can!

Damn, sorry to hear that.

I may be shooting him a PM in the next day or so if I know for sure that Ill be working on it friday. Id gladly pay for his gas to get here and for his help if hed be willing to.

Gas Man
05-26-2009, 11:19 PM
I want you to verify spark....

And the filter will be easy to find IF it has one. Don't laugh... many bikes dont have one.

Verify fuel flow from the tank... remove your fuel line from the tank and see if it comes flowing...

JoJoYZF
05-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I want you to verify spark....

And the filter will be easy to find IF it has one. Don't laugh... many bikes dont have one.

Verify fuel flow from the tank... remove your fuel line from the tank and see if it comes flowing...

Thats probably one of the first things Ill check on friday or if I get time tomorrow night after work. Im really not sure if mine does have a fuel filter or not but Ill be checking that out as well.

No Worries
05-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Sounds like no spark. Nine times out of ten, the safety switch on the kickstand is dirty. I would also check the fuses.

Amber Lamps
05-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Sounds like no spark. Nine times out of ten, the safety switch on the kickstand is dirty. I would also check the fuses.

I'm in the Kickstand switch camp as well... it's the only "sudden" problem I can think of, except the possibility of the tip over switch having fallen off of it's mount.:idk: I agree that you need to check the fuses and see if the fuel pump is running...

Amber Lamps
05-27-2009, 02:27 AM
Just in case...

http://www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/index.php?dlid=573

marko138
05-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Man this situation is all too familiar to me. I'm still not certain what my problem was...but double check that battery. Put it on a Tender anyway. And I'd stop riding that bitch such short trips. Battery won't charge.

askmrjesus
05-27-2009, 09:25 AM
You said the starter "seemed to work" but the bike won't turn over.

Could you hear the started moving? If it's moving and the bike isn't turning over, it could be that the started gear is FUBAR, or that the solenoid is dirty or just plain busted (ala GasMan).

But, let's back up a step first. Put a voltmeter on the battery after charging it. If you don't have a voltmeter, stop reading now, and go get one.

Hi. Welcome back. Ok, what's the voltmeter say? 12.75 or so? Good, but that means nothing. Even though the battery is "charged", you may just have what is called a "surface charge". Hit the starter button, and watch the voltmeter. If the reading drops more than 1-2 volts, you have a dead cell, no fluid in the battery, or some other fucked up battery problem.

Kick stand switches: The Safety-Nazi asshole who came up this this idea, should be shot in the balls. "Hey, I have an idea, lets put a switch that can disable the bike, in a place where it's sure to get dirty and fail!" Cut that fucking thing off and throw it away. Bridge the wires to complete the circuit, or get creative, and wire up a toggle switch in a hidden location (instant anti-theft device).

JC

JoJoYZF
05-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Im going to grab a voltmeter from work tomorrow and throw the battery on the tender tomorrow as well. I just got done fighting with verizon about a extra $80 that was on my bill, so I didnt mess with it at all tonight. This way friday Ill have my voltmeter to test the battery and the battery should be fully charged (unless its the cause of this). I thought about the kickstand switch and will check that as well.

The starter was cranking, but the engine wont turn over.

I also did find that there is a fuel filter and where it is (thanks to the haynes manual) so thats one of the first things Ill be checking after the battery and kickstand switch.

On a good note I did get the tow charge dropped to $75 and got my verizon mistake dropped from $80 to $5.

Gas Man
05-28-2009, 12:06 AM
The starter was cranking, but the engine wont turn over.

Please verify this... or is more like

starter was cranking
engine is turning over but won't fire?

askmrjesus
05-28-2009, 12:40 AM

starter was cranking

This is why I hate diagnosing bike problems on the internet.

JC

HRCNICK11
05-28-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm betting weak battery, its that time of year. Jump it off a NON running car battery. I bet it starts right up.

Have you cleaned or replaced any parts resently like say cleaned and over oiled the K&N air filter.

Gas Man
05-28-2009, 03:46 PM
Batteries are always a source of problems.

if you jump start it... ALWAYS ALWAYS do it off a NON-running car!!!!

racedoll
05-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Damn, sorry to hear that.

I may be shooting him a PM in the next day or so if I know for sure that Ill be working on it friday. Id gladly pay for his gas to get here and for his help if hed be willing to.

OK. I'll make sure he checks in.

wideopen1
05-28-2009, 06:47 PM
But this is what he said in the initial post;
"The starter seems to work but the engine wont turn over."
If the engine won't turn over, that's not a fuel related issue, obviously.
From what I've read, askmrjesus has given you the best instruction so far, and I have to say I approve 100% of all the swear words he used in his post too :rockwoot:

marko138
05-28-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm betting battery too.

Amber Lamps
05-28-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm betting battery too.

Not enough juice to engage the gear?

marko138
05-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Not enough juice to engage the gear?
Perhaps. I'm pretty sure mine was/is a battery issue...and he's describing the same symptoms.

JoJoYZF
05-28-2009, 08:44 PM

starter was cranking

Yeah that sounds about right. The starter was cranking but the engine wouldnt fire.

This is why I hate diagnosing bike problems on the internet.

JC

Understandable. I hate trying to describe them online.

Perhaps. I'm pretty sure mine was/is a battery issue...and he's describing the same symptoms.

Thats what I was thinking too. I had an issue with it before so it may finally be done for completely. If I can get it to start fresh off the charger Ill probably just replace it.

askmrjesus
05-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Understandable. I hate trying to describe them online.

I know what you mean, I have a hard time doing that myself.

"Well, it kind of goes wrrrrrrr and then tictictic...BOOM!" :lol:

JC

Gas Man
05-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Engine cranking but not firing...

I'm saying its not the battery.

I'm thinking either a safety nazi switch or something with the ignition or coils... maybe fuel related like no fuel.

Particle Man
05-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Engine cranking but not firing...

I'm saying its not the battery.

I'm wondering how strong the cranking really is...

JoJoYZF
05-29-2009, 12:27 AM
I'm wondering how strong the cranking really is...

It seems strong as normal, but I also dont pay as much attention to it usually since it starts right up. Ive got the battery on the charger right now so Im going to see if itll start with a freshly charged battery and check the battery with a voltmeter and go from there. If that doesnt work itll be on to the fuel filter, spark plugs, etc.

JoJoYZF
05-29-2009, 11:33 AM
I went out about 5 minutes ago and hooked up my freshly charged battery to see if I could get it to start and no such luck. One thing that I did notice is that it seemed like everytime Id go out to start it before a few days ago and the bike had been sitting for more than a short period of time, there would be a noise when I flipped the kill switch. I typically turn the key, open the choke, flip the killswitch to run, then hit the starter (bike in neutral) and it would start. But it would also make a sort of clicking noise after turning the killswitch to run, almost like the fuel pump priming itself or something. Well today I noticed that its not making that noise at all. Is this possibly part of the problem? It makes me think its fuel related, but I could be way off.

marko138
05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Is that bike carb or FI?

JoJoYZF
05-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Carb

askmrjesus
05-29-2009, 12:05 PM
Is that bike carb or FI?

It's carbed, with a fuel pump.

Jojo, the clicking noise sounds like it could be a relay, but it's hard to tell without hearing said clicking noise.

My fuel pump makes what I would call a "whining" noise when activated, YMMV.

Assuming the battery is okay, you need to verify that the pump is getting juice, so check the fuse if you haven't already done so, and check the connections for corrosion, etc... I believe the pump is external on those bikes, so sorting them out isn't too big of a pain. You'll likely have to remove the tank to get to it. The pump will have an in and an out. There may even be a diagram on the bottom of the fuel tank that says which is which.

Get some clear vinyl tubing, and attach it to both ports, then stick both of them into a gas can (with gas in it), and hit the switch, (I usually do this while smoking a cigarette, but since you're a novice, you may want to skip that step...) if gas comes in and goes out, you can rule out a pump problem.

JC

JoJoYZF
05-29-2009, 12:30 PM
It's carbed, with a fuel pump.

Jojo, the clicking noise sounds like it could be a relay, but it's hard to tell without hearing said clicking noise.

My fuel pump makes what I would call a "whining" noise when activated, YMMV.

Assuming the battery is okay, you need to verify that the pump is getting juice, so check the fuse if you haven't already done so, and check the connections for corrosion, etc... I believe the pump is external on those bikes, so sorting them out isn't too big of a pain. You'll likely have to remove the tank to get to it. The pump will have an in and an out. There may even be a diagram on the bottom of the fuel tank that says which is which.

Get some clear vinyl tubing, and attach it to both ports, then stick both of them into a gas can (with gas in it), and hit the switch, (I usually do this while smoking a cigarette, but since you're a novice, you may want to skip that step...) if gas comes in and goes out, you can rule out a pump problem.

JC

Got it, definitely not a whining noise.

Ill check those things out and then probably pull the tank off. I was figuring on having to do that anyway in order to check the fuel filter and to get to the plugs easier anyway.

I already have a gas can with gas so Ill just grab some vinyl tubing while Im out running errands to check the pump. And Ill skip the smoking step since Im only a mere mortal and dont smoke.

Thanks for the suggestions and if anything else comes to mind feel free to add it to the list. Ive never had to trouble shoot a bike a before so Im completely new to this.

Gas Man
05-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh yes... the fuel pumped carbed bikes... my buds honda shadow is that way. His would still start but it had a blown relay.

Do you have a service manual? This is why I tell all you grasshoppers to have one.

JoJoYZF
05-29-2009, 02:22 PM
I have a haynes manual, no actual service manual.

HRCNICK11
05-29-2009, 02:27 PM
A lot of times the fuel and blinker relays are the same and can be swaped to cheak them. Not always but a lot of the time.

I still say try the jump my wifes F4 had a bad battery it would take a charge and would crank the bike for about 5 min 6 seconds at a tiem of course then die. The battery was just weak may be a cell out and the bike would start right up with with a jump from a strong battery.

I assume you have a car and cables its a easy way to check the battery.

Again I ask have you done any maintenance lately it always sems to be the problem. Even if you only lifted they tank or seat to look at some thing you could have pinched a hose or unpluged some thing and did not notice.

Carbed bikes are easy to see if they are getting fuel they have a drain screw on the float bowls you only need to open it. Bad fuel pumps on carbed bikes are common because they are very low pressure and volume. They are only there to over come the pressure of the ram air system and or the fact that the carbs may be higher than the bottom of the tank.

They have to be weak or they would bypass the float valve.

Most carbed bikes will start and idle fine with out the fuel pump aslong as the carbs are filling(lower than the level of fuel IE: fulltank) But then run like crap once the speeds increase or the revs build faster than the carbs can refill.

Amber Lamps
05-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I'd put a little gas in the carbs and see if it starts...

I have a haynes manual, no actual service manual.

Gee it's too bad that someone didn't post a way for you to get a manual online for free....

JoJoYZF
05-29-2009, 03:27 PM
A lot of times the fuel and blinker relays are the same and can be swaped to cheak them. Not always but a lot of the time.

I still say try the jump my wifes F4 had a bad battery it would take a charge and would crank the bike for about 5 min 6 seconds at a tiem of course then die. The battery was just weak may be a cell out and the bike would start right up with with a jump from a strong battery.

I assume you have a car and cables its a easy way to check the battery.

Again I ask have you done any maintenance lately it always sems to be the problem. Even if you only lifted they tank or seat to look at some thing you could have pinched a hose or unpluged some thing and did not notice.

Carbed bikes are easy to see if they are getting fuel they have a drain screw on the float bowls you only need to open it. Bad fuel pumps on carbed bikes are common because they are very low pressure and volume. They are only there to over come the pressure of the ram air system and or the fact that the carbs may be higher than the bottom of the tank.

They have to be weak or they would bypass the float valve.

Most carbed bikes will start and idle fine with out the fuel pump aslong as the carbs are filling(lower than the level of fuel IE: fulltank) But then run like crap once the speeds increase or the revs build faster than the carbs can refill.

Im about to try the jump right now.

I'd put a little gas in the carbs and see if it starts...

Gee it's too bad that someone didn't post a way for you to get a manual online for free....

Dont pat yourself on the back too hard, you posted one for a 1999-2002 r6. I dont ride an r6, I ride a yzf600r, different bike.

Amber Lamps
05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Man I have spent the last half hour trying to figure out how to send you this fucking repair manual!!! Grrrrrr!!!!!

Amber Lamps
05-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Im about to try the jump right now.

Dont pat yourself on the back too hard, you posted one for a 1999-2002 r6. I dont ride an r6, I ride a yzf600r, different bike.

Well there's your problem...:lol:

Hmm... that's true but wouldn't the R6 manual help?:idk:

JoJoYZF
05-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Well there's your problem...:lol:

Hmm... that's true but wouldn't the R6 manual help?:idk:

It may help some. Im just trying some fairly basic stuff so the haynes is helping.

Question time. Now that the bikes in pieces right now, how do I know if the fuel filter is trash? I think it may be but Im still not sure thats the problem. And right now Im pulling the spark plugs to see if they spark or not.

Amber Lamps
05-29-2009, 05:55 PM
It may help some. Im just trying some fairly basic stuff so the haynes is helping.

Question time. Now that the bikes in pieces right now, how do I know if the fuel filter is trash? I think it may be but Im still not sure thats the problem. And right now Im pulling the spark plugs to see if they spark or not.

Gas is WAY better at this than me but you can pull the gas line and run it into a container, turn on the key and see if you are flowing the proper amount of gas per minute. To be honest, if you haven't changed it, it's probably due by now. The main thing to look for is if you are getting gas flow at all, if not it's your fuel pump.

JoJoYZF
05-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Gas is WAY better at this than me but you can pull the gas line and run it into a container, turn on the key and see if you are flowing the proper amount of gas per minute. To be honest, if you haven't changed it, it's probably due by now. The main thing to look for is if you are getting gas flow at all, if not it's your fuel pump.

Thats what Im thinking. The filter looks kind of dark inside with only a small section that is clean that looks like it flows properly so Im going to hopefully get a new filter tomorrow morning (all 3 main dealers around here closed at 6) and Ill probably just replace the plugs since I have the bike pulled apart already and they look a little rough.

Amber Lamps
05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Thats what Im thinking. The filter looks kind of dark inside with only a small section that is clean that looks like it flows properly so Im going to hopefully get a new filter tomorrow morning (all 3 main dealers around here closed at 6) and Ill probably just replace the plugs since I have the bike pulled apart already and they look a little rough.

Well see if your fuel pump is working... take the fuel line off the carbs and stick it a cup or whatnot and turn on the key. It should flow pretty fast. Your manual may give you the ml per minute number...

Too bad this is the wrong manual, it's very informative!

JoJoYZF
05-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Well see if your fuel pump is working... take the fuel line off the carbs and stick it a cup or whatnot and turn on the key. It should flow pretty fast. Your manual may give you the ml per minute number...

Too bad this is the wrong manual, it's very informative!

Ill be testing the pump because it looks like its either the fuel filter or the pump. The plugs arent in as bad of shape as I thought and are getting good spark. Me and my buddy tried to get it to fire by adding gas straight to the carbs but by that point the battery was too dead to do any good. Hopefully Ill get it to start tomorrow by adding gas straight to the carbs and narrow it down to a fuel problem.

askmrjesus
05-30-2009, 09:29 AM
and stick it a cup or whatnot

Diet Pepsi?

JC

JoJoYZF
05-30-2009, 09:42 AM
The fuel pump was taking gas in and spitting it back out so it doesnt look like thats the cause of this. I tried starting the bike by adding gas straight to the carbs with a fresh battery and got nothing. It sounded like it started to fire, but still wont fully start. I also noticed for the first time that the tach randomly jumped to about 7k and then came back down. Im not sure if theres a short some where or what caused it, or if its related to my problem.

Ive checked the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, fuses, battery and connections, and Im running out of ideas as to what the problem is. Any suggestions or advice or am I stuck taking it to a dealership?

askmrjesus
05-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Did you check the plugs for actual spark, or just have a look at them?

JC

racedoll
05-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Pack up your stuff and drive it down here.

Amber Lamps
05-30-2009, 10:31 PM
The fuel pump was taking gas in and spitting it back out so it doesnt look like thats the cause of this. I tried starting the bike by adding gas straight to the carbs with a fresh battery and got nothing. It sounded like it started to fire, but still wont fully start. I also noticed for the first time that the tach randomly jumped to about 7k and then came back down. Im not sure if theres a short some where or what caused it, or if its related to my problem.

Ive checked the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, fuses, battery and connections, and Im running out of ideas as to what the problem is. Any suggestions or advice or am I stuck taking it to a dealership?

When you check spark, make sure you check more than one plug...

JoJoYZF
05-31-2009, 02:56 AM
Did you check the plugs for actual spark, or just have a look at them?

JC

Tested for spark.

Pack up your stuff and drive it down here.

Dont have access to a vehicle to get it there. I drive a mustang so packing a bike into it isnt a good idea, otherwise Id do that.

When you check spark, make sure you check more than one plug...

Thought about that. Only checked one yesterday and I was busy all day today so I only checked the fuel pump.

askmrjesus
05-31-2009, 11:20 AM
Chances are, if you've got spark in one, you have spark in all four, but test all four anyway.

Someone else mentioned this, but it didn't seem likely, since, as far as I know, you haven't had the bike apart recently, but check all the vacuum lines for kinks, holes, etc.

I'd also verify that the choke cable is working.

Have you tried bump starting it? If you can get it to fire that way, that would help eliminate a lot of possible causes.

JC

racedoll
05-31-2009, 12:47 PM
Dont have access to a vehicle to get it there. I drive a mustang so packing a bike into it isnt a good idea, otherwise Id do that.

I figured. :(

Amber Lamps
05-31-2009, 01:35 PM
Tested for spark.

Thought about that. Only checked one yesterday and I was busy all day today so I only checked the fuel pump.

Well,it could be the ignition module,advancer (or equivalent), also your bike probably has separate ignition coils (at least two anyway) so one plug may spark but the others don't. If you have fuel in the chamber and you have spark, the engine has no choice but to fire imho.:idk: Man you didn't wash it or something did you? I've seen water get into the "module" area (where the fuses and relays are) or into the ecu connections before and cause problems... You don't have a power commander do you? Make sure you check all of your fuses, relays and ecu connections.

JoJoYZF
05-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Chances are, if you've got spark in one, you have spark in all four, but test all four anyway.

Someone else mentioned this, but it didn't seem likely, since, as far as I know, you haven't had the bike apart recently, but check all the vacuum lines for kinks, holes, etc.

I'd also verify that the choke cable is working.

Have you tried bump starting it? If you can get it to fire that way, that would help eliminate a lot of possible causes.

JC

Tried to push start it a couple times the day it went dead and it barely tried to start. No where near actually firing.

Havent had it apart recently but Ive been looking for any lines or hoses that dont look right and havent seen anything.

I figured. :(

Believe me, at this point if I had a way to get it there Id bring it down tomorrow or tuesday and take you up on your offer.

Well,it could be the ignition module,advancer (or equivalent), also your bike probably has separate ignition coils (at least two anyway) so one plug may spark but the others don't. If you have fuel in the chamber and you have spark, the engine has no choice but to fire imho.:idk: Man you didn't wash it or something did you? I've seen water get into the "module" area (where the fuses and relays are) or into the ecu connections before and cause problems... You don't have a power commander do you? Make sure you check all of your fuses, relays and ecu connections.

Havent washed it recently (been meaning to but havent had time lately) and no power commander. I checked the fuses and as many connections and relays as I could find. Im going to go back over all of them tomorrow.

And Im with you on if it has spark and fuel it should fire. Thats why Im starting to get real frustrated by this. It seems like it should run and that any issue should be very simple but I cant get it to.

racedoll
05-31-2009, 10:08 PM
No friends with trucks to get it down here? How far away do you live from Lodi? Do you have a decent place to work on it? Tools?

JoJoYZF
05-31-2009, 11:56 PM
No friends with trucks to get it down here? How far away do you live from Lodi? Do you have a decent place to work on it? Tools?

The only person that had a truck around me was my uncle but he moved to florida last year. Im guessing maybe an hour or so, not for sure on that though. Its in pieces in my garage so space isnt a problem and I have a decent set of regular tools and havent run into anything yet that I couldnt do with regular hand tools on my bike, other than the home made fender eliminator that all I needed was a drill and dremel.

marko138
06-01-2009, 07:39 AM
My Zuk used to not wanna start from time to time. I'd change all 4 plugs and she'd fire right up. Coincidently it also ran pretty rich...and fouled plugs. :idk:

JoJoYZF
06-01-2009, 01:00 PM
My Zuk used to not wanna start from time to time. I'd change all 4 plugs and she'd fire right up. Coincidently it also ran pretty rich...and fouled plugs. :idk:

I think Im gonna change the plugs and fuel filter (just since the tank is off) and see if it starts. If not then itll be going to the shop. Im really starting to think its electrical and I dont want to try to find a short or whatever it is since I hate messing with that type of thing. Ive had a few people tell me they think its a short, especially since the tach jumps on its own when the bike isnt even running.

Amber Lamps
06-01-2009, 05:47 PM
I think Im gonna change the plugs and fuel filter (just since the tank is off) and see if it starts. If not then itll be going to the shop. Im really starting to think its electrical and I dont want to try to find a short or whatever it is since I hate messing with that type of thing. Ive had a few people tell me they think its a short, especially since the tach jumps on its own when the bike isnt even running.

Yea I wish you had the service manual because that could be a code for a particular problem. GSXRs can tell you what the problem is based on where they stop on the tach when you turn the key on...

JoJoYZF
06-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Yea I wish you had the service manual because that could be a code for a particular problem. GSXRs can tell you what the problem is based on where they stop on the tach when you turn the key on...

That would be nice. For some reason Ive never seen a service manual for my bike, thats actually why I went with the haynes manual in the first place. The haynes is a great help, but it doesnt do any real troubleshooting.

I changed out the plugs this afternoon and also double checked all the hoses, lines, wires, connections, and fuses and still cant get it to run. As of right now Im just trying to find someone with a trailer or truck to get the bike to the dealer and just let them fix it and charge me out the ass for it.

HRCNICK11
06-01-2009, 07:27 PM
If you have a home depot near by some have trucks you can rent pretty cheap.

JoJoYZF
06-01-2009, 08:01 PM
If you have a home depot near by some have trucks you can rent pretty cheap.

I actually work at Home Depot but thats kind of a last resort since itd be a pain in the ass to get the bike up into the truck but its a possibility. Im seeing if I can find something with a tow hitch and see if any local uhaul has motorcycle trailers.

racedoll
06-01-2009, 08:09 PM
As of right now Im just trying to find someone with a trailer or truck to get the bike to the dealer and just let them fix it and charge me out the ass for it.

Rather than hauling to a dealer and paying out the ass, haul it down here!

JoJoYZF
06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Rather than hauling to a dealer and paying out the ass, haul it down here!

I was thinking about that. If wideopen thinks he can fix it I may do just that but Im completely out of ideas right now.

askmrjesus
06-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Here ya go...

http://rapidshare.com/files/49522145/YZF600R-FSM.pdf

Hit the free user button, and go grab a beer, it takes a few minutes to download.

There's a section for diagnosing problems via the Tach, starting on page 60 of Chapter 8.

I didn't read the whole thing, but you might have a bad throttle position sensor.

JC

JoJoYZF
06-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Thanks man. Ill be downloading that tomorrow and seeing if it gives me any last ideas before I resort to a dealer.

marko138
06-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Good luck, brother. I know how frustrating this can be. Hopefully that manual tells you something.

And if you do end up taking it to the shop...are there any good independent shops around? Rather than Yami dealers. They are most definately cheaper and probly do better work.

JoJoYZF
06-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Good luck, brother. I know how frustrating this can be. Hopefully that manual tells you something.

And if you do end up taking it to the shop...are there any good independent shops around? Rather than Yami dealers. They are most definately cheaper and probly do better work.

The only one that I know of is a motorcycle performance shop that I was going to check into. I know that they do a lot of performance stuff and race type bikes but I dont know if they do regular fixes though.

racedoll
06-02-2009, 10:26 PM
The only one that I know of is a motorcycle performance shop that I was going to check into. I know that they do a lot of performance stuff and race type bikes but I dont know if they do regular fixes though.

Would that be MPH in Peninsula (or whatever the area is called near State 8)? Doug is a good guy. I'd take it there before a dealer. He and Erik raced together.

As far as Erik fixing your bike? Neither of know if he can or not. Personally, I think he could because he is good with stuff like that is why I keep pushing him and you. But it's like leading the horse to water, you can't make it drink...

JoJoYZF
06-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Would that be MPH in Peninsula (or whatever the area is called near State 8)? Doug is a good guy. I'd take it there before a dealer. He and Erik raced together.

As far as Erik fixing your bike? Neither of know if he can or not. Personally, I think he could because he is good with stuff like that is why I keep pushing him and you. But it's like leading the horse to water, you can't make it drink...

Yep thats the place. I forgot that place was even there until I passed it after I went to state 8 to get new plugs.

I think Ive got it narrowed down to some sort of timing issue which is something that I dont plan on messing with so I think this time its going to the dealer. I really appreciate the offer but hopefully once this problem is fixed the only time Ill be heading down there is to go riding with you guys.

tached1000rr
06-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Just curious but how many miles on the bike?

JoJoYZF
06-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Just curious but how many miles on the bike?

Right about 6k

Gas Man
06-03-2009, 12:19 AM
was out all w/e..

summary...

where do we stand on this?

What has been checked? The thread got kinda confusing...

Amber Lamps
06-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Right about 6k

Dude your bike didn't break...it committed suicide from neglect!:lol:

marko138
06-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Right about 6k
And these motherfuckers talk about me not riding. Shit.

askmrjesus
06-03-2009, 10:43 AM
was out all w/e..

summary...

where do we stand on this?

What has been checked? The thread got kinda confusing...

We've ruled out everything, except for what's wrong with it. :lol:

JC

marko138
06-03-2009, 12:54 PM

JC
Accurate statement.

racedoll
06-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Yep thats the place. I forgot that place was even there until I passed it after I went to state 8 to get new plugs.

I think Ive got it narrowed down to some sort of timing issue which is something that I dont plan on messing with so I think this time its going to the dealer. I really appreciate the offer but hopefully once this problem is fixed the only time Ill be heading down there is to go riding with you guys.

Doug would fix your bike if you want to take it to him over a dealer. I know he would do an excellent job and the price would be right. He comes highly recommended!

JoJoYZF
06-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Dude your bike didn't break...it committed suicide from neglect!:lol:

Basically. I dont ride as much as Id like to. I have about 4500 miles on it in two seasons. I bought it just over two years ago with under 2k miles.

JC

That sums it up pretty well.

Gas Man
06-04-2009, 12:08 AM
Doug would fix your bike if you want to take it to him over a dealer. I know he would do an excellent job and the price would be right. He comes highly recommended!
Do this if its not too much hassle...

most anything is better than most dealerships.

Amber Lamps
06-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Do this if its not too much hassle...

most anything is better than most dealerships.

Boy I'm the last one to argue with that!

JoJoYZF
06-04-2009, 12:23 AM
I think Im going to call them in the morning and see when they can look at it. If its nothing soon Ive already got a reservation to drop it off at the dealer tomorrow night and be looked at friday.

tached1000rr
06-04-2009, 12:29 AM
I'd do the Doug thing too, but it sounds like you want to take it to the dealer which surely will cost more. Don't get paralyzed a decision is better than no decision.

JoJoYZF
06-04-2009, 11:55 PM
I'd do the Doug thing too, but it sounds like you want to take it to the dealer which surely will cost more. Don't get paralyzed a decision is better than no decision.

I didnt necessarily want to take it to a dealer, I wanted to fix it myself. The thing is, I have no problem fixing a problem, but I hate troubleshooting things to find the problem. So after I tried to find the problem for a few days I finally got pissed and just said fuck it and called the dealer. I had already made the plans to get it there before I found out about the guy at mph so I just said what the hell and took it to the dealer. If I end up with any other issues that I cant figure out it will definitely be going to mph.

tached1000rr
06-05-2009, 07:35 AM
It will be interesting to see what the problem was. Keep us posted

JoJoYZF
06-05-2009, 11:34 PM
It will be interesting to see what the problem was. Keep us posted

Will do. Im hoping to hear something tomorrow but we'll see what happens.

JoJoYZF
06-08-2009, 10:25 PM
UPDATE: Just heard from the dealer this morning, and now I get to spend a bunch of money. Turns out the little spark my buddy said he say wasnt nearly enough to fire the bike. They said one of the four coils is toast and of course theyre only sold as a package deal for all 4 for my bike. Parts are over 200, then over 150 for them diagnosing it and installing the new parts. Yay...

tached1000rr
06-08-2009, 10:28 PM
UPDATE: Just heard from the dealer this morning, and now I get to spend a bunch of money. Turns out the little spark my buddy said he say wasnt nearly enough to fire the bike. They said one of the four coils is toast and of course theyre only sold as a package deal for all 4 for my bike. Parts are over 200, then over 150 for them diagnosing it and installing the new parts. Yay...

Well ouch! Hopefully the ride home from the dealership will erase the trauma of the repair bill. (cough-ass raping)

JoJoYZF
06-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Well ouch! Hopefully the ride home from the dealership will erase the trauma of the repair bill. (cough-ass raping)

Yeah, Im dying for the ride home. Its been too long already and I wont have it back til this weekend or early next week. Nothing like getting to pay a ton of money to not get to ride for a while [/sarcasm]

Particle Man
06-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah, Im dying for the ride home. Its been too long already and I wont have it back til this weekend or early next week. Nothing like getting to pay a ton of money to not get to ride for a while [/sarcasm]

to be honest, there are more expensive things that it could have been... but I don't get why they can't get you just 1 coil from another "junk" bike or something...

tached1000rr
06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
to be honest, there are more expensive things that it could have been... but I don't get why they can't get you just 1 coil from another "junk" bike or something...

Cause it's the dealership, their process of repair, usually is replace all components in a system that could be causing said problem, vs only replacing the one known problem once found.

JoJoYZF
06-08-2009, 11:42 PM

Yea it definitely could have been a lot worse

Cause it's the dealership, their process of repair, usually is replace all components in a system that could be causing said problem, vs only replacing the one known problem once found.

Pretty much. He started on with the stuff about not knowing if used electrical parts like that would last or if theyd just crap out after a week too.

Amber Lamps
06-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Yea it definitely could have been a lot worse

Pretty much. He started on with the stuff about not knowing if used electrical parts like that would last or if theyd just crap out after a week too.

Dang I should have guessed coil! j/k Sorry to hear that but at least it'll be fixed and hopefully they took a look at everything else.

JoJoYZF
06-09-2009, 05:19 PM
I had a couple people guess it could be the coils but it was on the list with a timing issue as something I didnt want to mess with.

Gas Man
06-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Coils... hmm... I think that was one of our first guesses....

Did you get the bike back yet?

JoJoYZF
06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Coils... hmm... I think that was one of our first guesses....

Did you get the bike back yet?

No the dealer doesnt stock any electrical parts so they had to order them. They said hopefully this weekend or early next week at the latest.

racedoll
06-10-2009, 07:52 PM

No.... it's because they are a dealer and want to charge you out the ass for their service.

JoJo - check the bike over completely before you leave. Not once has Erik had a bike worked on at the dealer without something being screwed up on it.

JoJoYZF
06-10-2009, 08:11 PM
No.... it's because they are a dealer and want to charge you out the ass for their service.

JoJo - check the bike over completely before you leave. Not once has Erik had a bike worked on at the dealer without something being screwed up on it.

I plan on it. If Im paying that much Ill be making sure everything is perfect. I actually dont even have my side fairings on the thing right now since I knew the dealer would be taking them off to work on it, one less thing that can get screwed up.

Rsv1000R
06-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Hmmm, Coils going bad in 6k miles :skep:

Well, you'll know for sure once the they get your bike running again.

BTW, where did you take it?

No Worries
06-11-2009, 07:01 PM

So you have one of those new fangled bikes where each spark plug has it's own coil? One of my two coils went bad and my four-cylinder was still able to start and run on two cylinders. Crappy, but it ran. I just don't see how your bike couldn't start and run on three cylinders.

racedoll
06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
So you have one of those new fangled bikes where each spark plug has it's own coil? One of my two coils went bad and my four-cylinder was still able to start and run on two cylinders. Crappy, but it ran. I just don't see how your bike couldn't start and run on three cylinders.

Yeah, my hubby was wondering the same. He thought it should run on 3 coils, but hell anything is possible I guess. We will find out soon enough if this fixed the problem.

Amber Lamps
06-11-2009, 10:43 PM

One thing I know about "service techs", if they tested the first plug and got a weak spark and determined it was the coil... trust me, no other plugs were tested after that.:lol: I'm still mildly worried that it's something before the coil, I just don't know what to call it... unless, when one coil goes bad, it throws the whole system out of wack.... I'm with the guy that thinks this is unusual for a bike with 6000 miles on it as well. I can honestly say that I have never replaced a coil on a bike and my last GSXR had 42k on it when I traded it in.:idk: Plus the sudden loss also bothers me... again :idk: I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

JoJoYZF
06-11-2009, 11:49 PM
One thing I know about "service techs", if they tested the first plug and got a weak spark and determined it was the coil... trust me, no other plugs were tested after that.:lol: I'm still mildly worried that it's something before the coil, I just don't know what to call it... unless, when one coil goes bad, it throws the whole system out of wack.... I'm with the guy that thinks this is unusual for a bike with 6000 miles on it as well. I can honestly say that I have never replaced a coil on a bike and my last GSXR had 42k on it when I traded it in.:idk: Plus the sudden loss also bothers me... again :idk: I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I questioned that myself with it only having 6k miles. The only thing is the bike is 9 years old and Ive only owned it for a little over 2 of those years so I have no clue how it was stored or anything from the first 7 of its life. Im hoping to have a new bike by the beginning of next season at the latest so Im not super worried, I just want to actually ride.

marko138
06-12-2009, 08:06 AM
I think the same thing...but if it runs when he gets it back, Fuck it. :lol:

Rsv1000R
06-16-2009, 01:44 PM
So, you get it back yet?

JoJoYZF
06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
So, you get it back yet?

They finally got the parts and finished it tonight. Im going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I get to pay $430 to ride it home 15 miles in the rain.

tached1000rr
06-16-2009, 11:51 PM
they finally got the parts and finished it tonight. Im going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I get to pay $430 to ride it home 15 miles in the rain.

$430 = damn!!!!!!

Amber Lamps
06-17-2009, 12:10 AM
They finally got the parts and finished it tonight. Im going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I get to pay $430 to ride it home 15 miles in the rain.

Do me a favor, ask them for your old parts when you pick it up. By law in most states they have to give them to you. When I look at the microfiche, I only see two coils that cost $50 each, the plug wires that are about $50 and maybe they replaced the plugs ($10) while they were in there...:idk: It could just be a bad pic/fiche but be sure bro!

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha/YearID/41/Year/2000/ModelID/5967/Model/YZF600R/GroupID/241589/Group/ELECTRICAL_1

marko138
06-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Unbelievable.

Gas Man
06-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Unbelievable.
That would honestly be "UN FUCKIN BELIEVABLE"

marko138
06-18-2009, 09:15 AM
You got that right.

Amber Lamps
06-18-2009, 10:54 AM

Yea it's too bad. For $400 he could have replaced the entire ignition system, including the ECU if he found one used. Oh well live and learn!

JoJoYZF
06-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Yea it's too bad. For $400 he could have replaced the entire ignition system, including the ECU if he found one used. Oh well live and learn!

Considered doing it myself but when it was $80 to find the issue already and over 200 for the parts I didnt bother doing it myself. And I dont like buying used electrical parts since I have no way of knowing if theyre gonna last more a week.

Amber Lamps
06-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Considered doing it myself but when it was $80 to find the issue already and over 200 for the parts I didnt bother doing it myself. And I dont like buying used electrical parts since I have no way of knowing if theyre gonna last more a week.

That's true enough! Well, I'm just glad that it worked out and you have your bike back!:rockwoot:

JoJoYZF
06-19-2009, 11:11 PM
That's true enough! Well, I'm just glad that it worked out and you have your bike back!:rockwoot:

Hell yeah. Now if only these severe storms that theyre calling for would move on Id be all set.