PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new brake lines

fpzx10
02-26-2008, 03:05 PM
I got some Galfer SS lines for Christmas. Anything in particular I need to know about this mod?

marko138
02-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Bleed out the old fluid first. Lots and lots of bleeding after wards. Bleed the master cylinder as well.

Rider
02-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Buy some speed bleeders. It will save you a tone of time.

Beefcake Morris
02-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Brake bleeder is great. I am a worry wort so I did the old method too after I got fluid in the lines. Use Belray fluid, way better then galifer. Swith about 3 months ago.

fpzx10
02-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys

Trip
02-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Go ahead and replace your pads with some HH pads while you are at it.

You can get SS kits that come with the pads for pretty cheap at indysuperbikes.com

Gas Man
02-27-2008, 07:29 AM
:iagree:

Speedbleeders
Belray fluid

marko138
02-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Is there a shelf life on fluid? I bought some last September....never opened it. It's been sitting in my unheated shed since September. It will be ok right?

Gas Man
02-27-2008, 09:37 AM
Its good to go. If not opened. However, if its DOT 5 its good regardless.

Rider
02-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Its good to go. If not opened. However, if its DOT 5 its good regardless.

My bike calls for DOT 4, will DOT 5 be ok in my bike?

Gas Man
02-27-2008, 09:45 AM
DOT 5 has the same standards as 4, but can mix with all the others and is suppose to have a shelf life.

marko138
02-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks Gas.

Smittie61984
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Coolio. After new tires and some leather pants SS brake lines is my next mod. Then paint the bike and I'll be doen with the Project Flying Turd.

Mudpuppy
03-16-2008, 11:14 PM
yeah i want to do the ss brakeline mod for my front brakes as well.. let me know how it goes.. should be pretty easy eh? hardest part is bleeding / getting all the air out..

i switched to motul fluid a couple of years ago and it is great..

marko138
03-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Did you have these on for the track this weekend?

ceo012384
03-19-2008, 12:21 AM
I have these but haven't put them on yet.

A couple things... I'm going to get speedbleeders, I've only heard good things.

Another is that often the routing and branching of the lines changes with the aftermarket kit (for example, my stock setup runs one line from the MC down to the bracket that holds the horn, where it splits in two... in the galfer setup, it runs two separate lines from the MC down to the calipers). Anyways: Make sure the lines aren't rubbing anywhere weird. If it is, once the plastic jacket wears through, you'll have SS braid directly touching something, and it will mar the shit out of it.

DLIT
03-20-2008, 12:37 AM
CEO, I just routed mine and used zip-ties to keep them from going all over the place. I think I used a total of 3-4 ties. Maybe even just two. The lines bow out, but they don't rub against anything.

BE SURE NOT TO GET BRAKE FLUID ON ANYTHING!! It'll fuck your paint/wheels up even if contact is only a few seconds.

It's usually a good idea to change your fluid when it starts getting dirty. It's amazing what dirty brake fluid does to your braking. Fucks it up BAD.

marko138
03-20-2008, 08:51 AM
Are you guys cleaning your calipers every few months? You should be. I'm talking pulling the caliper off the bike (line still attached and one at a time)...and cleaning the pistons. You'd be amazed at what a clean piston does to your breaks. Trust me on this.

ceo012384
03-23-2008, 12:13 AM
CEO, I just routed mine and used zip-ties to keep them from going all over the place. I think I used a total of 3-4 ties. Maybe even just two. The lines bow out, but they don't rub against anything.

BE SURE NOT TO GET BRAKE FLUID ON ANYTHING!! It'll fuck your paint/wheels up even if contact is only a few seconds.
That's not bad then. I guess just a zip tie on the fork tube and one down near the caliper would be enough.

And yeah, I know about brake fluid. I'm going to pull all the fairings and wheels and everything anyways and do lots of things together...
Are you guys cleaning your calipers every few months? You should be. I'm talking pulling the caliper off the bike (line still attached and one at a time)...and cleaning the pistons. You'd be amazed at what a clean piston does to your breaks. Trust me on this.
I don't but I should... I'll do it when I do my big overhaul sometime before the track in 5 weeks...

You shouldn't do that with brake cleaner, right? I imagine it could damage the piston seals... maybe pull the pads and use some emory paper on those bad boys?

marko138
03-23-2008, 08:16 PM
That's not bad then. I guess just a zip tie on the fork tube and one down near the caliper would be enough.

And yeah, I know about brake fluid. I'm going to pull all the fairings and wheels and everything anyways and do lots of things together...

I don't but I should... I'll do it when I do my big overhaul sometime before the track in 5 weeks...

You shouldn't do that with brake cleaner, right? I imagine it could damage the piston seals... maybe pull the pads and use some emory paper on those bad boys?
You're right. It will eat the seals. Use some sort of biodegradable cleaner. I use Liquid Performance Total Cycle Cleaner and a toothbrush. It worked well.

OneSickPsycho
03-23-2008, 08:16 PM
You're right. It will eat the seals. Use some sort of biodegradable cleaner. I use Liquid Performance Total Cycle Cleaner and a toothbrush. It worked well.

Dish soap, water, and a toothbrush... Works well too.