PDA

View Full Version : suspension setup

lagerdrinker
03-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Ok to start my bike is a 02 gsxr750 mostly stock and daily commuted. it feels great and rides great. i bought the bike used and dont have any idea how to check if the suspension is to be set. sometimes it feels too soft and other times over dampened. I know the suspension is adjustable for all that but how/where to start? how to check preload and all that?
Bike isnt set up for track but i figured this would be the best place to post this question.

OneSickPsycho
03-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Ok to start my bike is a 02 gsxr750 mostly stock and daily commuted. it feels great and rides great. i bought the bike used and dont have any idea how to check if the suspension is to be set. sometimes it feels too soft and other times over dampened. I know the suspension is adjustable for all that but how/where to start? how to check preload and all that?
Bike isnt set up for track but i figured this would be the best place to post this question.

RTFM... seriously... a lot of bikes have charts in the manual that tells you how to set it up... That's at least a good place to start... Otherwise, pay someone to do it... I've heard nothing but stories of amazement from EVERYONE who's had their suspension properly set up by an expert.

6doublefive321
03-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Start out by setting the static sag for your weight. In my opinion, this step is skipped way too often. Setting the sag is the foundation for a good handling machine. If you don't know how, do a search. There are probably a gozillion articles on how to set the sag. Once the sag is set, follow OSP's advice and, using the owner's manual as a guide, start turning clickers. In the past, I always started in the middle of the adjustments, and worked back and forth until I was happy. Its a long and time consuming process, so be patient and make a lot of notes.

Mr Lefty
03-30-2008, 09:33 AM
check these links
static sag
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_geek/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw

random suspension articles
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/motorcycle_suspension/index.html

Trip
03-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Basically if you have never done this before, I wouldn't rely on videos or manuals. Find someone locally that would be willing to teach you what to look for. Setting up your suspension for you is very important.

lagerdrinker
03-30-2008, 11:11 AM
like i said i bought bike used. I didnt get a owners manual and dont have a service manual yet. I figured if anyone had a good method for adjusting i would follow it and see if it helped.
Paying someone to do it isnt bad but ill never learn that way, i want to learn about my bike and get to know it a little better.

let me correct myself. I didnt mention it but i bought bike used a couple weeks ago.

Gas Man
03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
And I would use this as a guidline to start off

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_suspension_settings/index.html

marko138
03-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Take copious notes. Write down where you started and exactly how many turns you are twisting things. You want to be able to get it back to stock in case you royally fuck it up and it handles like shit.

azoomm
03-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Take copious notes. Write down where you started and exactly how many turns you are twisting things. You want to be able to get it back to stock in case you royally fuck it up and it handles like shit.

And, take pictures. Digital is relatively FREE, so click away.

Spanner wrenches are your friend.

Go buy a Haynes or Clymer Service Manual - they will have stock settings in them that can get it to stock. Then, work from there. By work, I mean... it will be a work in progress until you get it where you like it. Personally, I don't care much for stock settings, I like to be able to feel the pavement.

I've learned the most from watching Roger (my suspension guy) at the track - most welcome questions and will let you watch what they do. He charges $30-$40 per bike... clicks away on it, go ride... clicks again, go ride... lather rinse repeat until it's where you want it. Be aware, each time you change something the bike may respond vastly different than it did before. Ride accordingly.

azoomm
03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
My original intention was to get help from people who know the specific vehicle.

Oh, I completely get that. But, I see the other side of it from a forum management perspective. The suspension on a GSXR isn't anything that is specific to a GSXR. There are things that can make it easier to adjust (read = Ohlins) like preload adjusters on the forks...

The videos posted should be rather helpful. :)

lagerdrinker
03-31-2008, 05:57 PM
The suspension on a GSXR isn't anything that is specific to a GSXR.

Well, i figured since my 750 is claimed to be the same weight as a 600 but obviously has more power than a 600 but not as much as a 1000 but they all use the same suspension i would ask to see if anyone had a good baseline and tweek from there. Yeah, those articles are great but you cant ask them questions, thats the point of forums isnt it? to learn and share info?

azoomm
03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Well, i figured since my 750 is claimed to be the same weight as a 600 but obviously has more power than a 600 but not as much as a 1000 but they all use the same suspension i would ask to see if anyone had a good baseline and tweek from there. Yeah, those articles are great but you cant ask them questions, thats the point of forums isnt it? to learn and share info?

It gives you somewhere good to start. But, there are somethings that can't be done on a forum. So, go do it... ride it and get feel... then report back :)

I'll tell you what, I had my suspension fitted to me and I hated it. So much so that I changed it back. So, there is something to be said for your own feel. Some will argue that point with me...

lagerdrinker
03-31-2008, 06:10 PM
So, go do it... ride it and get feel... then report back :)

Sure, im gonna go figure it out then ill have to teach you since you get others to setup yours...
How can you tell me to go try clicking and take pics but yours is setup by someone else??

Yeah, ill report back.

azoomm
03-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Sure, im gonna go figure it out then ill have to teach you since you get others to setup yours...
How can you tell me to go try clicking and take pics but yours is setup by someone else??

Yeah, ill report back.

*sigh*

No, you won't teach me how to do it... I already know how to do mine, and the side of your argument for your own section could start here if I tell you how EASY it is to do mine. I know you don't want to hear that.

FWIW, I didn't pay him, he works for me.

I took pictures of my set up, so I could put it back where it was.

I stood there and talked to him about each step he was doing and why he was doing it. THAT is more golden that what I could have gotten off a forum.

A few of us told you to get a manual - Buy one... or, how about this: http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp And go download yours. With the stock settings... get a spanner wrench for your rear shock. The likelyhood of that being changed is slim, as most will mess with the forks, but not the rear.

BTW, what do you weigh?

lagerdrinker
03-31-2008, 06:31 PM
I say take this into the suspension thread. this one will soon get lost and anything said here will likely get lost.

Edit: sorry got this and suggestion thread mixed up. this is the right one.

Trip
03-31-2008, 06:34 PM
I say take this into the suspension thread. this one will soon get lost and anything said here will likely get lost.

No it won't, cause I will movez it 4 ya.

lagerdrinker
03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Ok, i weigh about 170.

Mr Lefty
03-31-2008, 06:42 PM
with or with out gear?

lagerdrinker
03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
170 in street clothes.

Mr Lefty
03-31-2008, 07:43 PM
from everything I've read... (never set up suspension myself) you wanna set sag as you'd ride it... so what ever your normal gear is... if you do a long trip and load the bike down... you'll wanna adjust the suspension for the extra weight.

roadracing world's Trackday issue had a good 3 page article on suspension setup in the latest issue

lagerdrinker
03-31-2008, 07:50 PM
if you do a long trip and load the bike down... you'll wanna adjust the suspension for the extra weight.

Nah. just me, helmet, and jacket.
Long rides are what my other bike is for. This ones for daily commute when i dont feel like holding out choke and pumping carb and wakeing the neighbors and occaisional acts of stupidity.