View Full Version : Teachers counting down the days.

CrazyKell
06-02-2009, 08:45 AM
I know I might take a lot of shit for this.

In a former life I was a teacher so I feel like this *rant* is justified.

It IRKS me to no end when teachers publicly count down the days left of school each year.

It seems like it starts sooner and sooner.

A lot of my friends on facebook are teachers so I'm always seeing their status updates with the countdowns. Hell some of them even had it started after Christmas! :nono:

If you dislike your job that much......why the hell are you in it?!

/rant

wildchild
06-02-2009, 09:06 AM

/rant

for the time off

LeeNetworX
06-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I won't speak for all teachers, but my wife looks forward to her Summers. Hell, wouldn't you? It's not a question of whether or not she likes her job - it's nothing more than "Hey, I've got 2 weeks to go before a long break and all the cool stuff we have planned for this Summer."

If they aren't doing it in front of their students or their parents, who cares if they count down?

Trip
06-02-2009, 09:58 AM
I would love to get a couple months off from my job every year and would totally do a countdown. I think you are just jealous of them.

HurricaneHeather
06-02-2009, 10:03 AM
I would say that most people don't really hate their job, but it's a job so they would be excited about not doing it. :shrug:

I count down to my vacations. I don't hate my job, I just like vacation more. :lol:

marko138
06-02-2009, 10:05 AM
My wife is done on Thursday. What a life.

skiergirl
06-02-2009, 10:06 AM
yeah i have to agree whether I like my job or not if someone told me to take off 2 months and get paid I'd be counting down days too...:rockout:

Then I'd do a little happy dance on the last day out the door...:nana:

HurricaneHeather
06-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Then I'd do a little happy dance on the last day out the door...:nana:

:lol:

Adeptus_Minor
06-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I would say that most people don't really hate their job, but it's a job so they would be excited about not doing it. :shrug:

I count down to my vacations. I don't hate my job, I just like vacation more. :lol:

Exactly.
While "job satisfaction" is not an oxymoron, I'm betting it's a small percentage of people who find their work time more gratifying than their off time.

skiergirl
06-02-2009, 10:11 AM
It's not a REAL celebration without a happy dance you know...haha

jtemple
06-02-2009, 10:15 AM
My wife is a teacher. She doesn't count the days left in the year, but she does get giddy like a kid when there's a snow day!

She started teaching summer school yesterday.

I envy her time off. But, with countless hours of education more than me, and 2-3x the work experience I have, she's still getting paid less than I do, and always will be. The only way she can get any significant pay raise is to move into administration. Those positions are tough to get.

Particle Man
06-02-2009, 10:35 AM
for the time off

for many teachers the summer isn't time off...

the chi
06-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Good for them honestly. I love my job, but I'd be lying if I said I didnt want more time off, and several months off, puhlease sister, I'd be marking days off the calendar in FRONT of the students or letting them help!

unknownroad
06-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Bills to pay, I'd guess. :idk:

When i was in school, it seemed like most of the teachers i knew had summer jobs as well, often with summer camps or schools

CrazyKell
06-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Maybe I should have clarified more.

It's not the counting down to vacation that bothers me. It's the people that seem to update their status and count down every little last second.

EVERYONE counts down to their vacation. That's normal.

Some teachers though, in freakin' September they say things like "oh well, only 8 more months of this shit" or they count down half days, etc. :skep:

How many other people count down their vacations YEARS in advance when it's a regular part of their job. :?:

Personally I think this affects children when they hear stuff like that, but I know that's not a popular view.

Oh and HELL YEAH I'm jealous that I'm not a teacher at the moment....but not in the way you're making it out. ;) I can go back to teaching whenever I choose. I have chosen not to for the time being.

z06boy
06-02-2009, 11:08 AM

Yep I'll go along with this response. I've been here 20 + years and hope to be here alot longer unless I pull the winning lottery numbers. :lol:

I don't hate my job but look forward to EVERY day off...that's just the way it is.

If I was rich I wouldn't be sitting here with a suit on. I don't like dress shoes or neckties but that's just part of the job. :idk:

Before anyone says "then why don't you go find a job that doesn't require dress shoes and a necktie"...again I've been here a long time...don't hate it and make decent $$ and it's not that easy to do and maintain my lifestyle....so again...if I pick the winning lottery numbers...then I'll make that change. :lol:

Fleck750
06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
I count down the HOURS every night I am at work.

Is that bad? :bonk:

jtemple
06-02-2009, 11:36 AM
My wife works through the year, save for a few weeks in the summer and Christmas/Thanksgiving/Spring breaks. There are always extra hours to pick up for more pay, even during the main school year, and she does it.

Tmall
06-02-2009, 11:49 AM
19 years and 10 days to retirement...

Papa_Complex
06-02-2009, 11:53 AM

They're all members of a secret society of time travellers, waiting for the arrival of the next Hitler so that they can kill him.

Sixxxxer
06-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Yep I'll go along with this response. I've been here 20 + years and hope to be here alot longer unless I pull the winning lottery numbers. :lol:

I don't hate my job but look forward to EVERY day off...that's just the way it is.

If I was rich I wouldn't be sitting here with a suit on. I don't like dress shoes or neckties but that's just part of the job. :idk:

Before anyone says "then why don't you go find a job that doesn't require dress shoes and a necktie"...again I've been here a long time...don't hate it and make decent $$ and it's not that easy to do and maintain my lifestyle....so again...if I pick the winning lottery numbers...then I'll make that change. :lol:

Thats Pretty much How I am...Its a nice release to have a day off...mine come during the middle of the week randomly since i dont have a Set schedule...But It not to bad.

shmike
06-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Thank you.

I knew a lady that had a clock that sat on her desk.

Her retirement date was set and the clock counted down the days minutes, seconds until she was done. This was about 8 years before her retirement date. :lol:

marko138
06-02-2009, 01:07 PM

But who's counting, right.

askmrjesus
06-02-2009, 01:18 PM
It's not the counting down to vacation that bothers me. It's the people that seem to update their status and count down every little last second.

How else are the kids supposed to learn subtraction?

"Johnny, if teacher has 17 days, 4 hours and 20 seconds left before vacation, as of noon today, how much time will she have left to spend loathing your snotty punk-ass, at noon on Friday?"

JC