View Full Version : Kimbo's back.

Flexin
06-03-2009, 09:20 PM
http://www.fightnews.com/?p=12816#more-12816

Jun
Why Kimbo Slice is still relevant
Love him or hate him, Kimbo Slice will Make TUF 10 a ratings giant

By Brady Crytzer

UFC president Dana White has rattled the cages of MMA fans everywhere by announcing that Kimbo Slice, the former golden boy of the organization’s now defunct competitor, would be trying his luck on the tenth season of The Ultimate Fighter. But, after a crushing (and embarrassing) loss to the unheralded Seth Petruzelli in 2008, why should the public be so quick to take Slice back? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice? Not this time. There is good reason to be genuinely excited about this free agent acquisition…and here’s why. WHY WE SHOULD CARE.

Raw Deal: In the world of professional boxing it would be unheard of to pit a rookie fighter against a twenty fight veteran regardless of ability. Case in point, although he is heralded as a future star in professional boxing, 2004 Olympic Gold Medalist Andre Ward has just recently taken the next step in his career against a game Edison Miranda. While ability may have suggested otherwise, Ward used those essential four years to grow and develop into a true title contender.

In his first four fights, Slice faced fighters with a combined total of 83 professional fights, ridiculous in comparison when compared to the aforementioned Ward’s first four opponents totaling 14 bouts. When he faced James Thompson, a nearly 25 fight veteran, Slice was criticized for his sloppy victory. Two professional bouts hardly qualifies him to be placed in that unjust limelight. The Ultimate Fighter is designed for young fighters to be given the chance to grow into true professionals.

Let’s watch Slice take that chance.

IF HE DOES WELL . . .

Ratings Spike: The Ultimate Fighter is the catalyst for the success that the UFC has enjoyed over the last four years. In recent seasons, similar scenarios and mediocre talent has left fans of the hit reality series wanting more. The UFC has made impressive adjustments (such as the “must win” scenario in the opening episodes and the hugely popular “USA vs. UK” concept) and Slice’s presence will take The Ultimate Fighter 10 to a whole new level. Season Ten will feature coaches Rashad Evans and Quinton “Rampage” Jackson which will culminate in a fantastic superfight. To put it bluntly, the tenth season of TUF will be the most watched in history.

IF HE WINS . . .

Heavy Hopes: The UFC’s top heavy heavyweight division will get a much needed booster. Regardless of your opinion of him, Slice remains as one of the most fan friendly sluggers in sports since Mark McGuire. While stars like Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir make the UFC’s heavyweight division one of the most exciting in the sport, recent retirement hints left by longtime staples Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira leave an ominously present gap in future plans. After all, The Ultimate Fighter 10 is exclusively featuring heavyweights for a reason.

IF HE LOSES . . .

Curtain Call: The UFC is truly in a no lose situation when considering the prospects of Kimbo Slice. If he wins TUF 10, a fresh, highly marketable star is reborn. If he loses, the UFC can finally close the book on the overhyped mythology that surrounded Kimbo Slice. While the light that surrounds Slice will burn out, a new star will be born…and he’ll be fighting for the UFC.

James

Corey
06-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I'm looking forward to this coming TUF. Besides Kimbo, there are 4 ex-NFL players in the mix. It's about time they start padding the Heavyweight division. It's been the weakest of them all for a while now.

Rider
06-04-2009, 08:41 AM
I don't care about this jabrone, but I am looking forward to the Brown vs Faber fight on Sunday.

NeonspeedRT
06-04-2009, 10:20 AM
When does the new season start?

Homeslice
06-04-2009, 10:31 AM
And the transformation of MMA into a soap opera continues.

Corey
06-04-2009, 10:38 AM

While the TUF stuff has been a little more drama focused, I give props to Kimbo for taking up Dana White on the offer to show that he has a place in the sport. He's taking the same opportunity that has produced some solid UFC fighters, and if he pays attention to the coaches, he may have a chance to score some respect and maybe a two or three fight contract even if he doesn't lose. In no way will it be easy for him. I guarantee that everyone on the show will be looking to take him out to make their own little name for themselves. Is this a great PR stunt to draw in more ratings? Of course, but it gives him the opportunity to prove he's legitimate, instead of being spoon fed washed up idiots to artificially inflate his record.

Flexin
06-04-2009, 05:02 PM
While the TUF stuff has been a little more drama focused, I give props to Kimbo for taking up Dana White on the offer to show that he has a place in the sport. He's taking the same opportunity that has produced some solid UFC fighters, and if he pays attention to the coaches, he may have a chance to score some respect and maybe a two or three fight contract even if he doesn't lose. In no way will it be easy for him. I guarantee that everyone on the show will be looking to take him out to make their own little name for themselves. Is this a great PR stunt to draw in more ratings? Of course, but it gives him the opportunity to prove he's legitimate, instead of being spoon fed washed up idiots to artificially inflate his record.

I think its cool that they are giving him the shot. Its not like they are just signing him to a big ass contract. He is given a chance and he has to run with it. Just like in golf. I only watch mma every now and then. Sometimes I will watch it for hours straight because spike will play it all day long sometimes but I'm more into boxing. But I still watch that show off and on, I like watching them develop.

James

Flexin
06-04-2009, 05:06 PM

What about Kimbo being there makes it more of a soap opera?

James

marko138
06-05-2009, 03:35 PM
A buddy of mine is a mirror image of Kimbo...he gets free drinks out of it on occasion.

Tmall
06-05-2009, 03:39 PM
I didn't like what Elite XC did with him by throwing him on main events right away.

And while I don't think he's much of a fighter compared to other MM Artists, I do like that he's being given a shot and having to earn his spot in the ring.

WARputer
06-05-2009, 04:33 PM
So when does the new season start for Ultimate Fighter? I gotta see this season !!!!

Particle Man
06-05-2009, 04:36 PM
His name is Kimbo Slice - anyone with that name has to be badass or he'd get his ass beat :lol:

marko138
06-05-2009, 04:40 PM
His name is Kimbo Slice - anyone with that name has to be badass or he'd get his ass beat :lol:
You got that right.

Flexin
09-16-2009, 12:26 PM
So when does the new season start for Ultimate Fighter? I gotta see this season !!!!

It looks like it starts tonight.

James

Mr Lefty
09-16-2009, 08:28 PM
interesting... I'd laugh if he was whooped on the first matchup

Flexin
09-16-2009, 08:41 PM
interesting... I'd laugh if he was whooped on the first matchup

I want to see him do well. It looks like there is some big mofos in that house this year.

James

Flexin
09-16-2009, 11:53 PM
LOL. I was laughing my ass off at how pissed off people get when Kimbo shows up. You have to make a name for yourself and he did (well I think it was the guys he worked for but he delivered the beatings) and with that and his mma fights he gets a shot. Don't get pissed off about it. It doesn't matter what the name of the other fighter is in that cage. Your job is to beat every fighter in there that your put against and win the contract. Suck it up and fight.

Kimbo isn't even the biggest there. This is the first time I have been excited to watch The Ultimate Fighter. LOL

Speaking of fighting. Mayweather-Marquez this weekend. :rockwoot:

James

OneSickPsycho
09-17-2009, 08:33 AM
LOL. I was laughing my ass off at how pissed off people get when Kimbo shows up. You have to make a name for yourself and he did (well I think it was the guys he worked for but he delivered the beatings) and with that and his mma fights he gets a shot. Don't get pissed off about it. It doesn't matter what the name of the other fighter is in that cage. Your job is to beat every fighter in there that your put against and win the contract. Suck it up and fight.

Kimbo isn't even the biggest there. This is the first time I have been excited to watch The Ultimate Fighter. LOL

Speaking of fighting. Mayweather-Marquez this weekend. :rockwoot:

James

I dunno... I thought it was completely gay that they brought in Kimbo last and made a big deal of him... if I were those guys, I would have said 'fuck that guy' too. He would have had a target on his back without that, but with that he IS a bullseye. Though, I'd say that could have been Dana's strategy all along...

Also, Kimbo will probably be the last to fight, which is totally gay. I'm guessing every week they are going to try to make you think Kimbo's fighting next week, until finally he's the last guy left to fight. They did it this week... totally gay.

I WAS very excited for this season, until I started really looking at the guys and watched that first fight. I mean, the gore was money... getting cut so bad you can see the skull is always cool, but the fight was horrible. Take down, lay on top of him, ref stands 'em up, repeat. I don't blame Rampage one bit for walking out before the end of the fight. What's hilarious is they talked up that guy's Jiu Jitsu and he had NOTHING.

Unless the fights drastically improve, this season is only going to be watchable because of the shit talking between Rampage and Evans... which, btw, was AWESOME. Rampage cracks me up.

z06boy
09-17-2009, 08:44 AM
I watched it last night. I admit that when I found out Kimbo was going to be on there it made me want to watch it that much more. No I'm not a Kimbo fan but it is interesting that he is on there. The fight was good for gore but that was about it. The tall guy didn't do jack chit.

There is a rumor...yeah I know...about the results of Kimbo's first fight that was texted from one of the other fighters to someone on the outside. Even Dana White supposedly mentioned something about it during an interview.

I won't post what the rumor is so not to spoil it.

OneSickPsycho
09-17-2009, 08:46 AM
I watched it last night. I admit that when I found out Kimbo was going to be on there it made me want to watch it that much more. No I'm not a Kimbo fan but it is interesting that he is on there. The fight was good for gore but that was about it. The tall guy didn't do jack chit.

There is a rumor...yeah I know...about the results of Kimbo's first fight that was texted from one of the other fighters to someone on the outside. Even Dana White supposedly mentioned something about it during an interview.

I won't post what the rumor is so not to spoil it.

I heard about it a couple days ago... I think it's bullshit.

z06boy
09-17-2009, 08:59 AM
I heard about it a couple days ago... I think it's bullshit.

It very well could be. I wasn't there. :lol:

defector
09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Saw it last night. Kimbo and maybe two other guys look to be in shape. Everyone else looks like a fat ass - to the point they were making fun of one guys tits.

There doesn't apprear to be great amounts of skill in this class either. First fight sucked balls, as previously mentioned.

Flexin
09-17-2009, 12:17 PM
I dunno... I thought it was completely gay that they brought in Kimbo last and made a big deal of him... if I were those guys, I would have said 'fuck that guy' too. He would have had a target on his back without that, but with that he IS a bullseye. Though, I'd say that could have been Dana's strategy all along...

Also, Kimbo will probably be the last to fight, which is totally gay. I'm guessing every week they are going to try to make you think Kimbo's fighting next week, until finally he's the last guy left to fight. They did it this week... totally gay.

I WAS very excited for this season, until I started really looking at the guys and watched that first fight. I mean, the gore was money... getting cut so bad you can see the skull is always cool, but the fight was horrible. Take down, lay on top of him, ref stands 'em up, repeat. I don't blame Rampage one bit for walking out before the end of the fight. What's hilarious is they talked up that guy's Jiu Jitsu and he had NOTHING.

Unless the fights drastically improve, this season is only going to be watchable because of the shit talking between Rampage and Evans... which, btw, was AWESOME. Rampage cracks me up.

I don't think Kimbo will be fighting for a bit, and I think that is a good thing. There are guys there with more experience, let them fight and give the guys that could use more training more time to learn. Kimbo will only go up early if Rashad desides to go after him.

The fight was really bad. That fight was a poster child for what I don't like about MMA. But even with boxing there are some fights that are just ok (there are even fights that are just plain bad). I'm sure it will get better later on.

James

Flexin
09-17-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know which rumor your talking about but I don't believe them anyway. The first rumor I heard was that Rashad picked Kimbo which wasn't true.

James

Tmall
09-17-2009, 03:26 PM
Gardner should be embarassed after that fight. Not only did he have his skull exposed, he had the same move take him down four times. And each time he was as helpless as a baby.

Flexin
09-30-2009, 08:41 PM
Kimbo fights tonight against Big Country.

James

Flexin
09-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Fuck. Kimbo should have been throwing more right from the start. Big Country bitched out and didn't try to stay on his feet. He said if he wasn't getting is ass kicked he would keep it on his feet. He didn't want to stay up. Kimbo does need more practice getting off the floor and how to keep from going down in the first place.

James

the chi
09-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Fuck. Kimbo should have been throwing more right from the start. Big Country bitched out and didn't try to stay on his feet. He said if he wasn't getting is ass kicked he would keep it on his feet. He didn't want to stay up. Kimbo does need more practice getting off the floor and how to keep from going down in the first place.

James

That fight sucked ass. End of story.

If Kimbo could stay up so fat ass wouldnt just lay on him, he'd totally have it.

defector
09-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Rumor has it he has been training with American Top Team, so you know his ground game is improving. Also, he will have another fight in the UFC early next year...

Flexin
09-30-2009, 11:35 PM
That fight sucked ass. End of story.

If Kimbo could stay up so fat ass wouldnt just lay on him, he'd totally have it.

Yup your right. I hope he gets back on the show.

James

JARVIS518
10-01-2009, 12:27 AM
thats some bullshit he should have stand it back up instead of calling it

TYEster
10-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Terrible fight.

And if it wasn't for Fatty McFatterson, I think Kimbo could've rocked him a few more times. Instead since Kimbo couldn't bench press Big Cunt off of his face, the ref calls it. Weaksauce

defector
10-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Isn't it Kimbo's job to:
1. Get out of that position
2. Stay out of that position

Now having said that, Big Cuntry did nothing memorable, IMO. He didn't do shit except trap Kimbo's arms and baby punch him until it was stopped. Not 1 punch landed when he had full mount, or 1 elbow when he had both arms trapped.
That was his plan from the get go. He didn't want to fight Kimbo, he said he was going to do that the day before the fight, when he was telling his teammates to count the unanswered punches so the ref would have to stop it. Solid strategy (albeit very boring), but doesn't exactly make you popular with fans or promoters.

No wonder Dana White was pissed.

z06boy
10-01-2009, 09:02 AM
Looks like the "rumor" I mentioned earlier in Post # 19 wasn't BS at all. :idk:

I hope he gets back in as well...makes the show interesting at least. I'm not a big Kimbo fan but after seeing him on the show I like him a little better and no I don't mean based on his performance.

wildchild
10-01-2009, 04:06 PM
Personally I think it may have been staged. Funny how BC was telling people all you have to do is tap thier face. Doesn't even cause damage but they'll stop the fight if they can't defend against it.
Then miraculously that's exactly what happens in the fight. First fight had so much blood you could fill a drip pan and yet no stoppage. this fight no pain/blood/or damage but they stop it? Nah it is a set up for Marcus to back out and Kimbo will come back and then suddenly destroy his next opponent.

Just my opinion.

CasterTroy
10-01-2009, 04:13 PM
Personally I think it may have been staged. Funny how BC was telling people all you have to do is tap thier face. Doesn't even cause damage but they'll stop the fight if they can't defend against it.
Then miraculously that's exactly what happens in the fight. First fight had so much blood you could fill a drip pan and yet no stoppage. this fight no pain/blood/or damage but they stop it? Nah it is a set up for Marcus to back out and Kimbo will come back and then suddenly destroy his next opponent.

Just my opinion.

I share this exact opinion

z06boy
10-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Just my opinion.

You could be right and if it wasn't then....I hope they make a rule change to where the punches have to at least look like they are causing some pain/damage.

Tmall
10-07-2009, 04:26 PM
I have a lot more respect for Kimbo after watching this season. Not so much as a fighter, but as a person. The guy does not at all seem like the meat headed goon I had originally judged him to be.

I hope he works hard and makes a name for himself.

z06boy
10-07-2009, 04:36 PM
I have a lot more respect for Kimbo after watching this season. Not so much as a fighter, but as a person. The guy does not at all seem like the meat headed goon I had originally judged him to be.

I feel the same way. Having watched him on youtube prior I "thought" that I really didn't like him at all.

I do feel different about him now.

defector
10-07-2009, 04:49 PM

Dana White said pretty much the same thing today on the radio.

I will admit I got caught up in his hype as well. A couple of buddies and I met Kimbo at a local gym and he really seems to be a normal down to earth kinda guy.

Flexin
08-31-2010, 09:45 PM
Kimbo is back again.

Kimbo is doing something I thought he should have done from the start. He is going to try boxing.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5501435&campaign=rss&source=BOXINGHeadlines

James