PDA

View Full Version : Fork oil change.

Triple
06-08-2009, 11:19 PM

JoJoYZF
06-08-2009, 11:43 PM
Ask tigger to find a manual for the bike online. I know hes got a few sites that have them. Either that or find a haynes manual. I have one and its helped out a lot.

MikeSP1
06-09-2009, 02:28 AM
For those forks, you will need a fork spring compressor. There's two ways to go about it. This way http://traxxion.com/detail-25.aspx or this way http://traxxion.com/detail-26.aspx

There's a nut at the top of those forks that pretty much holds everything together and you've got to compress the fork spring to get at it.

After you've got the old oil out and the new oil in, you gonna need to set you oil height (the space of air between the top of the fork oil and the top of the fork tube). For that you're gonna something like this http://traxxion.com/detail-42.aspx

To do this seemingly easy job, you're gonna have to take the forks almost completely apart, then reassemble them and then set sag/rebound/compression. I had to have a friend show me how after I bought my RC. I thought it was gonna be easy, I quickly found out that it isn't.

If you have the service manual for your bike, it will have step by step instruction on how to do this.

marko138
06-09-2009, 08:07 AM
First thing you need to do is get a service manual. You're gonna need all those words. I know I've seen video of it...probly not as in depth as you want it to be but it should give you a solid idea after you read the manual. Peruse Youtube.

shmike
06-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Triple,

I want to buy your memoirs.

Your life would make a great sitcom.

We must act quickly before the blue-collar/redneck comedy phase is over.

shmike
06-09-2009, 09:18 AM
You are of no assistance.

$150 is steep but fair.

Rider
06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
As mentioned already if you can get the forks off yourself, you can get them forks rebuilt for a reasonable price. My CR250 forks were $125 for new oil, seals and bushings and I had them done yearly. I always had mine done at Pro Action suspension. I'm sure they can do sport bike forks.

marko138
06-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Tried Youtube, couldn't find anything useful.

I was hoping there would be something available online that would negate my need for a service manual. I'm already into this tear-down and I don't want to wait another week or more for the manual to arrive.

Traxxion Dynamics is less than an hour from my house. They can do a full rebuild on my forks for $150. Is this appropriate for the work involved?
Seems to be on par as far as pricing goes.

AquaPython
06-09-2009, 09:43 AM
hmm i need to do the same with my '04. sprung a little leak at the gap 2 weeks ago.

JoJoYZF
06-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Tried Youtube, couldn't find anything useful.

I was hoping there would be something available online that would negate my need for a service manual. I'm already into this tear-down and I don't want to wait another week or more for the manual to arrive.

Traxxion Dynamics is less than an hour from my house. They can do a full rebuild on my forks for $150. Is this appropriate for the work involved?

Thats why you find out from tigger or someone else who knows where to find the free ones online if there is one for your bike.

Rider
06-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Speaking of front-end removal, what tool is made for loosening the aluminum collars between the top triple clamp and steering stem? I wrapped mine in a rag and cranked them off with a huge set of pliers, but I'm sure there's something specific designed for them.

Steering stem nut wrench.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/steering-stem-nut-wrench-gsxr600750-2006-07.html

shmike
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Or: find an old socket that will fit the nut, use a cutoff wheel and make your own.

Amber Lamps
06-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Or: find an old socket that will fit the nut, use a cutoff wheel and make your own.

I used a socket and a breaker bar. Here's a site for manuals on line. I don't think there an exact match but you should find some help here.

http://www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/index.php?cid=10&sortvalue=date&order=ASC&limit=0

racedoll
06-10-2009, 07:58 PM

I would say that is reasonable. I had my forks done last year by an experienced local (1 hour away) guy. Even he had a hard time with my forks because of something, neither Erik or I remember what it was. So I'm glad I didn't try to do it myself.

Speaking of front-end removal, what tool is made for loosening the aluminum collars between the top triple clamp and steering stem? I wrapped mine in a rag and cranked them off with a huge set of pliers, but I'm sure there's something specific designed for them.

I don't understand why you need to loosen this to remove forks? My forks just slid out.

racedoll
06-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Turns out, the "full rebuild" doesn't include new seals. That's $25 extra. Still having them put in just to be on the safe side, however.

I am installing a 2006 GSX-R750 front-end onto my 2005 SV1000S. The SV's triple clamps are too small for the GSXR fork tubes.

I would pay the extra $25 for new seals. After all that helps keep everything "sealed" up otherwise a new rebuild wouldn't make sense.

Ah. I understand. I figured there was a logical reason you needed them off.

Full Throttle
07-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Alright Im having a similar problem now. I recently went to the dealer to just have them look over a few small things i was worried about. (didnt need to worry everything was fine) Anyways they went ahead and looked over the whole bike for me and rode it around a little bit and found somethings that i had not noticed. One of my Fork seals has a leak. I need a new Air Filter and a rear tire (well i knew i needed a tire just dont have the cash at the moment lol). So I thought i should try and fix the forks first. I need some help in that field cause ive never done anything like that before. I dont have a lift but i have 2 Car jacks lol so i can get the front wheel off but im not really sure what all i need to do to replace the fluid and the seals. Also im pretty sure its never been done before and its got 19,356 miles on it so it needs to get done. If Anyone has any experience on a 2000 R6 i would really appreciate any help.

Particle Man
07-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Steering stem nut wrench.

http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/steering-stem-nut-wrench-gsxr600750-2006-07.htmlThat's where I got mine. I just rode there and picked it up though :lol: