PDA

View Full Version : anyone use gps?

lagerdrinker
03-31-2008, 08:20 PM
Do you use a gps on your bike? what kinda bike? what gps (model)? Do you like it? do you need it?

dReWpY
03-31-2008, 10:21 PM
i think osp is getting or has one

Mr Lefty
03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
I'll be using my Garmin Legend on my trip this summer... but I never go anywhere with out a map.

I used the GPS on my drive from Anchorage to Portland OR, on to Fargo, and back up to Anchorage... worked well... gave me actual speed and a trip meter... (something my truck lacks :lol:)

I still don't know if I feel comfortable with it as my only source of direction... but it's a good primary with a map as backup

this is the one I have https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/assets/images/products/010-00629-00/en/cf-lg.jpg (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8701&locale=en_US#)

I got it for Trail runs in my truck... but I found a good mount for my bike that will "plug" the steering head nut... it's pretty cool

Trip
03-31-2008, 11:02 PM
I want a GPS to track my wanderings, I purposely try to get lost and find cool roads.

Mr Lefty
03-31-2008, 11:05 PM
I want a GPS to track my wanderings, I purposely try to get lost and find cool roads.

yeah that's the only reason I have it with me when I ride...

I marked trail routes in my truck

sfarson
03-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Picked up the Garmin Zumo. Liked the full North America detail maps built-in, MP3 player, controls on the left for a motorcyclist, buttons for gloved hands. Buy the XM antenna and can have satellite radio.

OneSickPsycho
03-31-2008, 11:20 PM
i think osp is getting or has one

I have one... I haven't used it on my bike yet, but it's got me to and a from a few places... My reasons for getting one are similar to what's mentioned here... map rides, find new roads, log miles, and of course help me around a new city...

Becca_007
04-01-2008, 05:38 PM
I have a Garmin 60csx. It's really a handheld. I use a ram mount to put it on the bike's bars. The main reason I purchased it was for geocaching but it seems to work great for every situation... car, hooked to a laptop, motorcycle, mountain bike, or just walking. I also love all the different stats it's capable of. Took it downhill skiing a few months ago and the data from that outing was pretty sweet.

lagerdrinker
04-04-2008, 09:54 PM
thanks for replies, like Trip i like to try to get lost and really its kinda hard to do but when you are lost looking for a gas station or food it can be a bitch. My girl has a Garmin and ive played with it in the car and it has everything from gas stations to ATM's and fast food. Her's also doesnt need downloads or any silly crap. just plug and play. Only thing is it isnt waterproof. Mainly i was wondering if i should get a bike GPS or just a little hand held when im lost. I think you all have helped make my decision in that im leaning more towards a little hand held.

Thanks.

Mudpuppy
04-04-2008, 10:07 PM
i used one at the gap to find our way to devil's triangle from robbinsville.. i also have one in my expedition that i use and one on my blackberry that i use.. it has helped me when i have got lost before..

nhgunnut
04-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Do you use a gps on your bike? what kinda bike? what gps (model)? Do you like it? do you need it?
At my wife’s suggestion / Instance when we bought our Goldwings I got the built GPS (its a Garmin set up) What a life saver I found myself riding a very tired and riding a high way in northwestern MD I came over the top of a mountain to find a sign that the next 23 miles would be grooved pavement. So here I am headed down a mountain on unfamiliar roads and for the next 13 miles 2/3rds of my control surface is gone. Rolled carefully to the next exit. told the Garmin to re route avoiding the highway and was at my daughters dorm 40 minute later having seen 40 miles of the prettiest secondary roads in MD. This year I am buying a portable GPS that can clip on the other bikes.:dthumb:

comonboys
04-07-2008, 12:16 AM
yeah that's the only reason I have it with me when I ride...

I marked trail routes in my truck

You know if you have Verizon service some of the phones now have GPS in them. It's called VZnavigator. I use it all the time on my Blackberry..... OOO the perks of working for Verizon!!!!!!! All the fun stuff at a discount....

Mr Lefty
04-07-2008, 12:17 AM
good to know... pick me out a good one :wink:

Captain Morgan
04-10-2008, 06:11 PM
You know if you have Verizon service some of the phones now have GPS in them. It's called VZnavigator. I use it all the time on my Blackberry..... OOO the perks of working for Verizon!!!!!!! All the fun stuff at a discount....

How well does that work? Do you need a special phone for it, or any VZ phone with web capability? Do you honestly feel it's worth the monthly fee?

Cutty72
04-10-2008, 06:19 PM
How well does that work? Do you need a special phone for it, or any VZ phone with web capability? Do you honestly feel it's worth the monthly fee?

She thinks it's worth it cause she works for verizon...
I say, if you are going to use it often, it's probably worth it, if you just go to work and home again... no.
Most newer phones should support it, but I'm not sure what will and what won't.

NeonspeedRT
04-11-2008, 09:13 AM
The Garmin Zumo 550 is the GPS that was built for motorcyclists by motorcyclists. Thats the mac daddy one. It retails for over $900. However several people have bought it on ebay for around $500. So look around.

If you want a good GPS and don't need the mp3/XM/bluetooth bells and whistles, i've heard the quest 2 is supposed to be a great GPS as well.

Amber Lamps
04-11-2008, 10:58 AM
She thinks it's worth it cause she works for verizon...
I say, if you are going to use it often, it's probably worth it, if you just go to work and home again... no.
Most newer phones should support it, but I'm not sure what will and what won't.

I have "gps" on my phone too. Helio uses Garmin's service and Google maps. The Google service is free btw.The real problem with phone based gps is that a premium/digital phone signal is necessary for most of them. What if you ain't got no bars? Oh I forgot,and it's sloooowwwww because it delayed going thru the towers and is usually somewhere behind your actual position.

comonboys
04-12-2008, 06:15 PM

It's a $9.99 monthly fee. However with the Verizon Premium Pack you get it unlimited with no data charges..... You have to have a premium capable phone. So let me know which phone you have and I can tell you about it. Or just PM with your information and I can let you know what the best option is for you...If you plan on using it alot it's better to get the premium pack where you don't need to worry about data charges..... Otherwise you accrue data charges which are $1.99 per mb. Which equals 100 refreshes of your screen, so yeah. do the premium pack but it's each situation is different.

And ebbs. When you are home we will pimp you up with all sorts of shit. BWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:whistle:

Mr Lefty
04-13-2008, 09:20 AM
I was actually think'n of switch'n my phone to a pre-paid phone... I don't use my phone much... and it's anoying to spend $50 a month when I use less than 1/3 of the minutes 11months out of the year. :idk:

lagerdrinker
04-13-2008, 09:32 AM
I was actually think'n of switch'n my phone to a pre-paid phone... I don't use my phone much...

i hate my cell phone, wish i never got one. Now anyone can get a hold of me and when i dont answer they leave voicemails saying i never answer and then the texting begins. Why cant they get the hint? i dont answer cause im busy and ill get back when im not...fuckers

Cutty72
04-13-2008, 10:02 PM
I was actually think'n of switch'n my phone to a pre-paid phone... I don't use my phone much... and it's anoying to spend $50 a month when I use less than 1/3 of the minutes 11months out of the year. :idk:

pre paid still has a base monthly fee i think.

Mr Lefty
04-13-2008, 10:29 PM
that's gay... fuck that...

comonboys
04-13-2008, 10:38 PM
that's gay... fuck that...

Prepaid is only worth it only if you plan on using it once a week. Other than that you are looking at $30 or more a month just for prepaid.
For prepaid, it's a $1.99 daily charge for whatever day you use it. Then it's 5 cents per minute usage. THats with verizon prepaid. They are the only one that I am aware of that doesn't charge you on days you don't use it. We will look at your account when you get back and i will see what we can get you on.:dthumb:

Mr Lefty
04-13-2008, 10:41 PM
wow... that's royally gay. like :what: gay...

yeah I tend not to talk much... I text quite a bit... but that's about it... don't need movies... don't need an MP3 player... but if ya find a phone that gives BJ's I'll spring for that one :lol:

Amber Lamps
04-14-2008, 01:16 AM
wow... that's royally gay. like :what: gay...

yeah I tend not to talk much... I text quite a bit... but that's about it... don't need movies... don't need an MP3 player... but if ya find a phone that gives BJ's I'll spring for that one :lol:

Make that TWO!!!!

OneSickPsycho
04-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Make that TWO!!!!

Two phones or you'll take one too? honestly, two phones intrigues me... one sucks you off, while the other one tends to the boys...

Amber Lamps
04-14-2008, 02:06 AM
Two phones or you'll take one too? honestly, two phones intrigues me... one sucks you off, while the other one tends to the boys...

I was thinkin' RIMJOB! but I guess the boys could use some attention...Besides,I might actually need to make a call and at least one of these bitches will always be occupied.

Mr Lefty
04-14-2008, 02:17 AM
just becarefull if you use the one for a rimjob... don't wanna be putting your mouth all over that... :lol:

Amber Lamps
04-14-2008, 02:31 AM
just becarefull if you use the one for a rimjob... don't wanna be putting your mouth all over that... :lol:

um,I don't won't put my mouth on it after I cum in it either!

Mr Lefty
04-14-2008, 02:47 AM
:lol:

OneSickPsycho
04-14-2008, 09:28 AM
I hereby declare the need for a 3rd phone... one to make and receive calls on.

Cutty72
04-14-2008, 11:03 AM
I hereby declare the need for a 3rd phone... one to make and receive calls on.

Truth!