PDA

View Full Version : Anyone thinks Kawasaki's quality is slightly lower compared to other bikes?

umairhashmi
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I never really noticed this before until i started working at a dealership myself and saw the entire lineup up close and had a chance to compare them head to head with Honda and Suzuki. For some reason a lot of people i asked and even what i could tell myself by touching the plastics and other materials it feels like Kawasaki uses somewhat inferior material in their bikes compared to the other guys (primarily honda and then suzuki). And their prices seem to reflect this too because right now Kawasaki's models are the cheapest in the entire literbike and 600ss class. I suppose its a you get what you pay for story but you do get a lot of bang for your buck if you thinking about performance only and not about long term reliability.
What do you guys think?
BTW im not a Kawi hater. I sold a Zx14 today lol

tached1000rr
06-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Not sure but I seem to hear more about Suzuki's or GSXRs being cheaply made in terms of plastics etc. I wanted to ask since it appears you owned both, but since you sold the ZX14 and kept the busa that you prefer the busa. Could you give a comparison of the two from your viewpoint? I'm trying to decide between the two, in terms of looks I like the front end of the busa but don't like the back end, and with the 14 I love the bike but not crazy about the front end.

umairhashmi
06-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Not sure but I seem to hear more about Suzuki's or GSXRs being cheaply made in terms of plastics etc. I wanted to ask since it appears you owned both, but since you sold the ZX14 and kept the busa that you prefer the busa. Could you give a comparison of the two from your viewpoint? I'm trying to decide between the two, in terms of looks I like the front end of the busa but don't like the back end, and with the 14 I love the bike but not crazy about the front end.

Im a salesman. I own a busa but because i work at a dealership i get to play with all of them so i just feel personally that the materials in the kawi tend to be a bit cheaper while honda's tend to be the best. Although keep in consideration that kawi is the cheapest in terms of price while honda is the most expensive.

BobTheBiker
06-15-2009, 06:19 PM
quality wise, kawi is the bottom of the barrel. suzuki is 2nd lowest, with the top two being Yamaha at #2, and Honda with the honor of #1.

I see a lot of kawi's designs that are just straight up shit, as are several ideas they have, unlike Honda's bikes where I've REGULARLY observed innovative and very well thought out designs. This starts WAY back with the CB750's up to the modern CBR 600's with the antilock brake setup.

tached1000rr
06-15-2009, 06:25 PM
quality wise, kawi is the bottom of the barrel. suzuki is 2nd lowest, with the top two being Yamaha at #2, and Honda with the honor of #1.

I see a lot of kawi's designs that are just straight up shit, as are several ideas they have, unlike Honda's bikes where I've REGULARLY observed innovative and very well thought out designs. This starts WAY back with the CB750's up to the modern CBR 600's with the antilock brake setup.

I've always been a Honda guy, if we could only talk the bean counters into making a modern "hypersport" machine to compete in the same class with the Busa and ZX14

umairhashmi
06-15-2009, 06:26 PM

Well performance wise kawis arent that bad. Most of the stunters i know prefer the kawis over any other brand. I just feel overall the material of the plastics and other small stuff like instrument cluster doesnt have the feeling of being high quality. Remember im just a salesman but even the mechanics who have worked on these things for decades tend to agree with that. But i respect the fact that opinions are like a$$holes and everyone has one.

zed
06-15-2009, 06:56 PM
But i respect the fact that opinions are like a$$holes and everyone has one.

all the mechanics I have worked with (only one shop I worked in included Honda) thought Kawasaki was higher as far as build quality. I say dependability wise, get a Honda but there are only two Honda's I'd own and they don't make one of them any more.

popularity wise I think Suzuki has that hands down, odd that you say stunters like the Kawi's in your area, seems most ride Suzuki's around the places I have lived.

Homeslice
06-15-2009, 07:14 PM
IMO, Kawasaki engines are durable, but their valvetrain is kinda noisy. Also, their overall fit & finish is nowhere near Yamaha's. Take the old 636's for example.......Thin paint and ugly cockpit w/cheap trim compared to the R6.

IMO Yamaha has always been the best. Better paint and smoother engines than the others. People say Honda is the best but they have no clue........Honda's paint is usually thin, their engines are buzzy compared to Yamaha, and their charging systems frequently go to shit. Yamaha is the best IMO. Shit, my old R6 had a smoother engine than my 929.

jtemple
06-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I have no complaints about my Kawi.

zed
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
I could care less about paint thickness or if the vavle train is a little noisy. as long as it starts every time I get on it and hit the start button and nothing falls off and it shifts into gear when I want it too.

I'm more concerned with the welds than the paint thickness too.

sorry man but I'm just not concerned with minor things. aestetics are not what gets you home after a ride (like what we tell the cruiser guys, "chrome won't get you home")

pauldun170
06-15-2009, 11:44 PM
Throughout my years of riding, the rule was Honda will run forever...unless it uses a rectifier or something with the word voltage in the description. then you gotta dump money into it.

Suzuki's are crashed before they had a chance to crap out
Yammer had clutch basket nonsense

zed
06-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Throughout my years of riding, the rule was Honda will run forever...unless it uses a rectifier or something with the word voltage in the description. then you gotta dump money into it.

Suzuki's are crashed before they had a chance to crap out
Yammer had clutch basket nonsense

and second gear on the Yamaha.

Sixxxxer
06-16-2009, 12:45 AM
I as well Dont have a problem with how My kawi was built.

Runs like a top and Looks dead sexy.

Homeslice
06-16-2009, 01:33 AM
and second gear on the Yamaha.

on one model (the R6 - speaking of which, mine and most other owners I heard from were fine). Best shifting bike I've ever owned, in fact.

and speaking of clutch baskets, Suzuki v-twins had that problem. Many were unbalanced from the factory.

nhgunnut
06-16-2009, 05:41 AM
As a fellow Busa Owner (05) I am curious about the Zx14 have you got saddle time on them both? I have about an hour on a ZX14 and the ergos felt a bit off but I suspect that may be because I have altered the ergos on the Busa to fit me. The brakes seemed to have a better feel than my Busa did when it was stock (I did the lines and pads) but not a Huge difference to its current state. Is there anything you notice that puts it ahead of the fist or second gen Busa's. They seem like nice hyperbike and I wish Honda and Yamaha would come to the table with something in the Hyperbike class BMW has but it is priced like a BMW.

umairhashmi
06-16-2009, 08:52 AM
As a fellow Busa Owner (05) I am curious about the Zx14 have you got saddle time on them both? I have about an hour on a ZX14 and the ergos felt a bit off but I suspect that may be because I have altered the ergos on the Busa to fit me. The brakes seemed to have a better feel than my Busa did when it was stock (I did the lines and pads) but not a Huge difference to its current state. Is there anything you notice that puts it ahead of the fist or second gen Busa's. They seem like nice hyperbike and I wish Honda and Yamaha would come to the table with something in the Hyperbike class BMW has but it is priced like a BMW.

I dont like the stock brakes on the busas (either first or second gen) but most people tend to upgrade brakes anyway after a while. I just felt overall the bikes are VERY similar in terms of performance and its just a matter of personal preference. I am just not a big fan of the way the zx14 looks (especially the front headlights).

z06boy
06-16-2009, 09:18 AM
In my experience and all that I have "heard" is that Honda has the highest quality followed by Yamaha with Kawasaki and Suzuki fighting for 3rd.

I've owned 2 Honda's...3 Yamaha's...and 3 Kawasaki's. I've never had trouble with any of them.

I've never owned a Suzuki and never really wanted one HOWEVER I think Suzuki has gotten better and they definitely kick azz these days and yes I now would consider one.

I've only ridden one Suzuki...an 05' Busa and must say that I liked it better than I thought I would have.

zed
06-16-2009, 11:24 AM
on one model (the R6 - speaking of which, mine and most other owners I heard from were fine). Best shifting bike I've ever owned, in fact.

and speaking of clutch baskets, Suzuki v-twins had that problem. Many were unbalanced from the factory.

not just one model, the FZR's, YZF600R that I remember but had heard about second gear problems long before I started riding 20 some years ago.

nhgunnut
06-16-2009, 02:52 PM
Its funny it is the ZX14 appearance that has put me off but as you note that is matter of personal taste. The only other place the busa seems to come out ahead is in after market options but then they have been here longer. I am running one of a dozen plug and play turbo set ups on my busa I am only aware fo one for the ZX but that doesnt mean they arent coming.
in terms of quality in the Since 03 I have owned 3 Suzukis 3 Hondas 1 Kawasaki 2 Victorys and 1 Ducati. 3 of these were more than 10 years old GS550 Suzuki a CB750f and a Vulcan 750 oddly enough the Vulcan was the most reliable of the bunch. The Honda 77 CB750 F was a pain to bring back to running condition but once back was a good machine the GSI could bever get to run soa I traded it for gun parts.

Rangerscott
06-23-2009, 11:18 PM
I've never ridden a yammy so I can only go by what I've hear. I'm a rider, not a racer and it seems like Yamaha makes all their engines just racing. I dont need my power at high rpms going through town. I need low and med power cause I dont go 100mph through town.

I'm sure someone will chime in and call me an idiot but until I get a chance to ride one I'll go with comments from riders that have more experience with bikes than I'll ever have.

umairhashmi
07-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I've never ridden a yammy so I can only go by what I've hear. I'm a rider, not a racer and it seems like Yamaha makes all their engines just racing. I dont need my power at high rpms going through town. I need low and med power cause I dont go 100mph through town.

I'm sure someone will chime in and call me an idiot but until I get a chance to ride one I'll go with comments from riders that have more experience with bikes than I'll ever have.

In terms of literbikes on the street NOTHING is more powerful or torquier than the zx10. I understand all the reviews say the best bikes are the gsxr1k and the cbr1k but the down low torque that the zx10 makes is pretty much insane compared to the other three. Im talking in terms of street performance here for an average person. Not a pro racer on the track.

BobTheBiker
07-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Now I"m seeing what an engineer has told me before. kawi is dead last in quality. side by side with my 1978 Honda my 86 ninja is just terribly engineered and the product is shit compared to the Honda's design.

simply put, kawi sucks quality wise, Honda and Yammi are the top 2 jap brands in this respect IMO.
Kawi just lacks a lot of good design ideas. while Honda and yamaha were using rigid perimiter frames, kawi was still using a very shitty double cradle box steel frame that flexes like a limp dick, or in the earlier ZX600's from the 80's what amounts to a cruiser frame pretty much.
sorry but any brand where frames breaking with no previous abuse or crash damage just puts the gsxr into the piece of shit level for me.

pauldun170
07-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Now I"m seeing what an engineer has told me before. kawi is dead last in quality. side by side with my 1978 Honda my 86 ninja is just terribly engineered and the product is shit compared to the Honda's design.

simply put, kawi sucks quality wise, Honda and Yammi are the top 2 jap brands in this respect IMO.
Kawi just lacks a lot of good design ideas. while Honda and yamaha were using rigid perimiter frames, kawi was still using a very shitty double cradle box steel frame that flexes like a limp dick, or in the earlier ZX600's from the 80's what amounts to a cruiser frame pretty much.
sorry but any brand where frames breaking with no previous abuse or crash damage just puts the gsxr into the piece of shit level for me.

If my only experience with Kawi were the 900r\1000\1100's I'd have a few choice words.

Had my only experience with Honda been 80's and early 90's bikes I curse them as electrically fucktarded.

However ZX-9 going from the porker in the 90's to late Zx-9r are, from what I know solid bikes that will rack up the miles. I thought 636 was supposed to be well designed as well.

BobTheBiker
07-18-2009, 02:03 AM
If my only experience with Kawi were the 900r\1000\1100's I'd have a few choice words.

Had my only experience with Honda been 80's and early 90's bikes I curse them as electrically fucktarded.

However ZX-9 going from the porker in the 90's to late Zx-9r are, from what I know solid bikes that will rack up the miles. I thought 636 was supposed to be well designed as well.
very true, but when I look at the casting quality of the kawi, and my old hurricane even, the hurricane had SO many freakin nice traits that kawi never could have hoped to have even.

karl_1052
07-18-2009, 08:27 AM
What does it matter?

It is rare that anyone keeps a sportbike for more than 2-3 years anyways.

zed
07-18-2009, 08:59 AM
very true, but when I look at the casting quality of the kawi, and my old hurricane even, the hurricane had SO many freakin nice traits that kawi never could have hoped to have even.

I've known a couple people that thought the hurricane was the best bike ever made...........

Dave
07-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I've known a couple people that thought the hurricane was the best bike ever made...........

i really miss mine. woulda been awesome with a 180 out back and modern forks/shock

BobTheBiker
07-18-2009, 02:13 PM
The hurricane was a VERY fine example of Honda engineering. I think the 600F was an awesome bike. the F2 to me was the best CBR evar.

Homeslice
07-18-2009, 02:30 PM
What does it matter?

It is rare that anyone keeps a sportbike for more than 2-3 years anyways.

It matters in terms of overall satisfaction. I had a zx6r and an R6 from the same time frame (03-04), and the R6 was just leaps and bounds ahead in terms of fit and finish and lack of engine vibration.

TYEster
07-21-2009, 10:20 PM
No I don't think they are.

Particle Man
07-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Not really, I've found good and bad with all of the various models. I think it's more taste than anything.

Suzuki's or GSXRs

er.... :skep:

Rangerscott
07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
If by just looking at the plastics then the new models with the glossy finish look just as good as the other companies.

Now the flat color plastic on the 636 I saw looked real cheap. It was cracked so I could really see.

Amber Lamps
07-31-2009, 01:39 AM
Aha! That's why no one steals them! You know you can find all of the world's truths on this forum if you wait long enough. :twfix:

Homeslice
07-31-2009, 02:31 PM
gsxr's = frat boys, guidos, people who wear their caps backwards (or sideways), musical tastes limited to top 40

cbr's = Asians who think Honda is automatically superior, techies who assume Honda has the best tech or best quality even though they don't, conservative people who like Honda's conservative styling, or kids who thought their parents would feel better about them getting a bike if it was a Honda :lol:

Yami.......tend to be kind of metrosexual and GQ-wannabe

kawi = rebels, loners

:lol:

Amber Lamps
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
gsxr's = frat boys, guidos, people who wear their caps backwards (or sideways), musical tastes limited to top 40

cbr's = Asians who think Honda = automatically superior, techies who assume Honda has the best tech even though they don't, conservative people who like Honda's conservative styling, or kids who thought their parents would feel better about them getting a bike if it was a Honda :lol:

kawi = rebels, loners

Well I do wear my hat backwards... I'm not sure if I'm a "guido" or not?:idk:

Homeslice
07-31-2009, 04:25 PM
guido = an italian who adopts the whole alpha-male personality and fashion sense (wife-beaters, jerseys, thick chains, boxers showing, drives a Trans Am or other flashy ride

Dave
07-31-2009, 04:48 PM
pretty close. The techy nerds tend to be addicted to yamahas strong brand of kool aid that lets them claim superiority over specs that are either outright lies or largely unessesary inneffective tech for the sake of tech

marko138
08-03-2009, 02:49 PM

cbr's = Asians who think Honda is automatically superior, techies who assume Honda has the best tech or best quality even though they don't, conservative people who like Honda's conservative styling, or kids who thought their parents would feel better about them getting a bike if it was a Honda :lol:

kawi = rebels, loners

Exactly right. Look at CEO...no wonder that bitch is on a R6. :lol:

101lifts2
08-24-2009, 12:59 AM
I've owned many many bikes...Kawis mostly, but 1 new GSXR, 1 new Honda 600rr and a used YZF600r and FZ1. I will say Yammie has the best engines, followed by the rest. The Honda feels the most refined, but after 2006, Kawi was right up there. I would say the 2006 ZX10r felt just if not more refined then my 2007 600rr, esp. in the engine/transmission dept.

The one thing is for sure, Hondas are a PAIN IN THE ASS to work on, other than brakes an oil changes.