PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shorty a mufler?

derf
06-18-2009, 12:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUqlPeObR74

I've been contemplating cutting down my muffler a little, along the lines of what is in the video here. Anyone have experience doing this? It doesn't look hard at all, but I really dont want to mess up my can.

Amber Lamps
06-18-2009, 12:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUqlPeObR74

I've been contemplating cutting down my muffler a little, along the lines of what is in the video here. Anyone have experience doing this? It doesn't look hard at all, but I really dont want to mess up my can.

A drill, a sawzall and a rivet gun. 1 hour tops.

BobTheBiker
06-18-2009, 12:44 AM
I had a shorty D&D on my old hurricane. trust me, dont. it goes from a nice mellow tone to ABSURDLY obnoxious.

Dave
06-18-2009, 01:11 AM
might the loss in pipe length kill off some torque as well?

Amber Lamps
06-18-2009, 01:33 AM
might the loss in pipe length kill off some torque as well?

It'll definitely lose some back pressure, which will hurt your mid range for sure! No offense but that bike wasn't exactly known for it's midrange... I'd probably leave it alone.:idk:

Rangerscott
06-20-2009, 10:53 AM
I serously doubt shortening the can that much will hurt back pressure since most of it is made with the size/bends of the headers.

I would repack the can. Two bro's sells a kit for 20 bones.

was92v
06-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Actually that bike was known for its midrange, back in the day.

Amber Lamps
06-20-2009, 04:16 PM

VS the liter class Yamaha? Sure okay.... Honda 60-100 mph top gear roll on over 7 1/2 sec- Yamaha unde:rockwoot:r 6 sec.

Dave
06-20-2009, 05:05 PM

the early ones were, but they got a rep for being underpowered and fat before the 929 and 954 showed up but by then they were far behind.

Amber Lamps
06-20-2009, 05:53 PM
the early ones were, but they got a rep for being underpowered and fat before the 929 and 954 showed up but by then they were far behind.

That's what I thought too. Heck, even the GSXR750 was beating them... Anyway, I thought that the length of the muffler could alter the hp and tq characteristics of an engine... I guess I was wrong.:idk: Sorry if I stepped on your toes Bro, I was giving honest advice based on what I thought was right.:rockwoot:

Tmall
06-20-2009, 06:23 PM
That's what I thought too. Heck, even the GSXR750 was beating them... Anyway, I thought that the length of the muffler could alter the hp and tq characteristics of an engine... I guess I was wrong.:idk: Sorry if I stepped on your toes Bro, I was giving honest advice based on what I thought was right.:rockwoot:

It would and does effect the performance.

Buell uses a long path for low rpm in the xbs and short for higher revs.

When I rigged it so I was using the short path, I lost low end power.

Amber Lamps
06-20-2009, 07:30 PM
It would and does effect the performance.

Buell uses a long path for low rpm in the xbs and short for higher revs.

When I rigged it so I was using the short path, I lost low end power.

That's what would think too...

Rangerscott
06-21-2009, 12:38 AM
Now my bike felt sluggish when I took off the muff and mid pipe. Even though it has a cat it felt slower getting up to speed. But between the shorty I have and the long scorpion (dont know what its really meant for), I couldnt tell.

Tmall
06-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Its simple really. Any kind of pipe or hose has an internal resistance to flow.

The longer it is, the higher the resistance.

A shorter path would produce less back pressure unless you throw some bends to compensate, or as some people do throw an adjustable baffle in the exhaust path. Then you can adjust the flow restriction accordingly. (this is usually a washer on the end of a bolt threaded into the headed or midpipe)

marko138
06-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Its simple really. Any kind of pipe or hose has an internal resistance to flow.

The longer it is, the higher the resistance.

A shorter path would produce less back pressure unless you throw some bends to compensate, or as some people do throw an adjustable baffle in the exhaust path. Then you can adjust the flow restriction accordingly. (this is usually a washer on the end of a bolt threaded into the headed or midpipe)
You a smart motherfucker.

http://theloveofmovies.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/pulp-fiction-sam-jackson.gif