PDA

View Full Version : I hate oil changes

tommymac
06-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Did another one on the priller today and i hate dry sumps. The fun part was I made a mess as usual but its not my driveway so I didnt care :didntdo:

Tom

Trip
06-18-2009, 07:05 PM
With the 50 and the DRZ, oil changes are too much of a regular occurrence for me.

askmrjesus
06-19-2009, 08:13 AM
I never minded oil changes until I bought a KTM.

4 drain plugs (2 in the bottom of the cases and 2 in/on the down tube).

2 filters (3 if you count the screen on the plug)

The frame holds .6 liters. It only takes about an hour to get it in there. :lol:

It would probably be easier to change the oil on the fucking space shuttle.

JC

tommymac
06-19-2009, 08:25 AM

The frame holds .6 liters. It only takes about an hour to get it in there. :lol:

JC

Man now i dont feel as bad, I have 3 drains if you count the filter cover, filling its not bad it takes just over 4 quarts so I can dump a full containe rof rotella in then add another 100cc's. I usualy need to run the motor somewhere inbetween to get some of the oil into the motor so I can fill the oil tank.

Tom

askmrjesus
06-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Man now i dont feel as bad, I have 3 drains if you count the filter cover, filling its not bad it takes just over 4 quarts so I can dump a full containe rof rotella in then add another 100cc's. I usualy need to run the motor somewhere inbetween to get some of the oil into the motor so I can fill the oil tank.

Tom

Yeah, I wasn't counting the oil filter cover with the two braided SS lines attached, that have to be removed to get the cover off.

Fucking Austrians.

JC

zed
06-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I wasn't counting the oil filter cover with the two braided SS lines attached, that have to be removed to get the cover off.

Fucking Austrians.

JC

maybe that's part of the reason the mechanic I worked with at Destination was happy the dealership dropped KTM. they dropped it a couple weeks before I started there. According to Pete, polaris wasn't bad compared to the KTM's and it sucked working on polaris.

z06boy
06-19-2009, 11:42 AM

JC

Geez !! I didn't realize this. I guess I won't b!tch anymore about having to remove the shift lever on the R6 to get the filter off...doesn't seem like that big of a deal after reading this. :lol

Phenix_Rider
06-19-2009, 12:09 PM
:wtfru: Poor suckers. All I have to do is pop the lowers off, open one drain, and spin the filter off. If I wanted to get creative, I wouldn't even have to remove the lowers. :lol

Amber Lamps
06-19-2009, 12:20 PM
:wtfru: Poor suckers. All I have to do is pop the lowers off, open one drain, and spin the filter off. If I wanted to get creative, I wouldn't even have to remove the lowers. :lol

Yea, I've never had to remove any plastic to do an oil change...:idk: Suzuki may have their problems but ease of maintenance isn't typically one of them. I've also owned a DRZ and a LTZ which I felt were pretty easy to work on.:rockwoot:

z06boy
06-19-2009, 03:25 PM
It gets real fun when I want to change a spark plug...remove some plastic...loosen radiator brackets...swing radiator out of the way....:lol

askmrjesus
06-19-2009, 04:52 PM
:wtfru:

Hey, I didn't build the fucking thing! :lol:

JC

Gas Man
06-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Hell I got 3 drain plugs (engine, trans, primary) and 3 different oils... but they are all easy to do. And mine are HDs.

Phenix_Rider
06-19-2009, 11:11 PM
It gets real fun when I want to change a spark plug...remove some plastic...loosen radiator brackets...swing radiator out of the way....:lol

Yeah- that's where it gets interesting on any sportbike. Fairings, fuel tank, airbox to get to any engine stuff.

Gas Man
06-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Fuck dat!

Mrs. Colleen
06-20-2009, 02:49 AM
I just learned how to change the oil in my bike. :runaway: :angel:

tommymac
06-20-2009, 02:58 AM
Yeah- that's where it gets interesting on any sportbike. Fairings, fuel tank, airbox to get to any engine stuff.

My Tl was/is ridiculously easy so i guess i was spoiled with that and karma got me with the priller, at least I dont have to deal with that for another 4 or 5k miles.

Tom

Amber Lamps
06-20-2009, 08:35 AM
I just learned how to change the oil in my bike. :runaway: :angel:

Good for you Muffin!

Seriously, everyone learned at some point! I know guys that have been riding for years that still take their bikes to the dealer for oil changes!:panic:

Phenix_Rider
06-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Good for you Muffin!

Seriously, everyone learned at some point! I know guys that have been riding for years that still take their bikes to the dealer for oil changes!:panic:

Fuck that! If I screw something up, I don't charge $80+ an hour to fuck it up even more.

HRCNICK11
06-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Yeah KTMs, My SMR450 had one drain bolt 2 filters when you removed the covers they drain out on the tranny cases. I'm sure it had screens too I just remember it taking forever. Safety wire on all of it after each oil change.

My Honda CRF150R has 2 drain bolts, one filter and a weap hole for the tranny case. I started measuring the oil, screw the weap hole. Not to mention that bike gets safety wired every time and has a small amount of oil in it so it gets lots of oil changes.

JoshuaTree
06-20-2009, 11:50 PM

JC

I'm sorry. The kitchen said you're all out of Brie. Would Gouda do with that whine? :poke::rofl:

:scared:

HRCNICK11
06-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Said the BMW rider that more than likely hasa cellar of wine!

JoshuaTree
06-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Uck-fay Ooh-yea astard-bay redflip

(Not a cellar, but a few bottles for entertainment purposes - now if you were talking Tequila, that's a different story... :D)

marko138
06-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Hell I got 3 drain plugs (engine, trans, primary) and 3 different oils... but they are all easy to do. And mine are HDs.

Really...trans and primary are seperate? Same fluid on the Buell.

Gas Man
06-26-2009, 05:54 AM
3 different fluids.

On sporty's the trans and primary share the same fluid. but not in any of the big v-twins.

Are you sure the buell isn't like the sporty? I have never seen a hd that didnt use 2 different oils in it at least.

marko138
06-26-2009, 07:37 AM
3 different fluids.

On sporty's the trans and primary share the same fluid. but not in any of the big v-twins.

Are you sure the buell isn't like the sporty? I have never seen a hd that didnt use 2 different oils in it at least.
For sure, I use 2. I just meant for the trans and primary. I use 2.5 qts in the engine and 1 qt in the primary....but I use the same shit in both. Amsoil 20w50 vtwin.

Gas Man
06-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Many would say that is bad. Many would not.

I myself always put in the type of oil that is intended for the hole.

marko138
06-26-2009, 10:09 AM
Many would say that is bad. Many would not.

I myself always put in the type of oil that is intended for the hole.
Amsoil in the primary is killer. Shifts so much smoother, easier to find neutral. The Harley Formula plus that was in it before = teh suck.

Gas Man
06-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Well that is atributed mostly to the synthetic above all else

marko138
06-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Well that is atributed mostly to the synthetic above all else
True...but HD doesn't make a synth primary fluid, do they?

Gas Man
06-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Yes... Screamin Eagle oil is their syth

marko138
06-26-2009, 11:19 AM
Yes... Screamin Eagle oil is their syth
Yeah that was in the crank case before the Amsoil. No thanks. Haven't heard of any issues with 20w50 in the primary. Amsoil says it's safe for primary and wet clutches. The only issues I hear is using gear oil in there...kills the stator.

CrazyKell
06-26-2009, 04:07 PM
I've never done an oil change on my bike. :panic:

This is the summer I learn! :rockout:

Gas Man
06-26-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah that was in the crank case before the Amsoil. No thanks. Haven't heard of any issues with 20w50 in the primary. Amsoil says it's safe for primary and wet clutches. The only issues I hear is using gear oil in there...kills the stator.
Yeah allot of guys do the gear oil thing... just not my thing.

marko138
06-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah allot of guys do the gear oil thing... just not my thing.
Besides, Screaming Eagle Syn-3 is 20w50 oil...so I'm using essentially the same thing.

Lucky3623
06-26-2009, 07:43 PM

Exact same thing the guy at the shop I have been frequenting for a while said to me today. I was looking for some 10w30 or 20w40 because I couldn't find either, in the brand(s) I want, anywhere... I asked him what he ran in his, and he runs in both his street bikes (both over a few years old), and it was 20w50. He said I may want to so to the 10w30 for the winter months though...

Gas Man
06-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Besides, Screaming Eagle Syn-3 is 20w50 oil...so I'm using essentially the same thing.
I think they have a SE version of the forumula x

marko138
06-27-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm not worried about it. I'll stick with the Amsoil. Matter of fact, I need to pick some up.

I was at the dealer today...rode the XR around the parking lot.

Gas Man
06-27-2009, 10:14 PM
What did you think of the XR?

2009 is a year for bike switching..

Me and my switches
Trip and his GS
You and the buell/hd switch

Tmall
06-28-2009, 07:06 PM
DID YOU KNOW:

If you take the primary oil cover off of a Buell, and it's not standing exactly upright the oil will pour right out onto your driveway?

Well, we all know that now. Thank me later...

marko138
06-28-2009, 09:03 PM
What did you think of the XR?

2009 is a year for bike switching..

Me and my switches
Trip and his GS
You and the buell/hd switch

Well, it was the dealer owner's personal XR...so they wouldn't let me out on the road with it. But I can say it's super comfortable. And really responsive. I liked it alot. It pays to have a good relationship with a good dealer.

I did take a Buell Lightning out on the road for a demo as well. It was the XB12Scg. Which means lower center of gravity (as if it wasn't low enough). Lower seat, slightly lower suspension. Man what a blast that was. Sitting upright. No reach to the bars. That thing was so comfortable. I could ride it all day. That thing is now battling it out for the top spot on my list. The Lighting brought Buell back up toward the top.

I have yet to ride the CR...but honestly, I prefer the air cooled XB's. And they're cheaper.

So, I haven't made a decision. :lol:

DID YOU KNOW:

If you take the primary oil cover off of a Buell, and it's not standing exactly upright the oil will pour right out onto your driveway?

Well, we all know that now. Thank me later...

:lol I did know that.

Gas Man
06-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Just tell em around the lot... then wave and hit the open rd.. F'em

marko138
06-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Just tell em around the lot... then wave and hit the open rd.. F'em
Actually the salesman I was working with called me this morning. He got the ok from the boss to let me take it on the road. Back to White's I go....

Gas Man
06-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Schwing!!!

marko138
06-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Yeah, now to find time to get back out there. It's an hour from my house...and I'm on Budget patrol from now until eternity at work.

Cutty72
06-30-2009, 11:30 AM
That sux man. Thats a prob I've found with man HD dealerships is that they work real close to "normal" business hours. Tough to get in late afternoon...

marko138
06-30-2009, 11:32 AM
That sux man. Thats a prob I've found with man HD dealerships is that they work real close to "normal" business hours. Tough to get in late afternoon...
Yeah I might stroll out next time I've got a Saturday free...

Gas Man
06-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Shit mine is open from like 9-7 and 10-6 Sun.

But they are starting to do the off season hrs in july. Closing tue & wed. They said its DEAD in there on those days. Feel they better serve us by being open all weekend.

marko138
06-30-2009, 01:30 PM
M W F my dealer is open till 8. I outta stroll out tomorrow.

Cutty72
06-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Open M-F 9-5, sat 9-4 for service, an hour later every day for showroom, and sun noon to 5 for clothing only.

makes it tough to get in, pretty much have to take a half day min. off.

marko138
06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Open M-F 9-5, sat 9-4 for service, an hour later every day for showroom, and sun noon to 5 for clothing only.

makes it tough to get in, pretty much have to take a half day min. off.
Those are some shitty hours.

Cutty72
07-01-2009, 12:12 AM
Those are some shitty hours.

Yup, which is why they pick up and deliver.
But that's the kind of hours i've seen with almost all HD dealerships in the ND, MN area. In fact many of the Jap dealerships aren't much better. :no:

marko138
07-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Yup, which is why they pick up and deliver.
But that's the kind of hours i've seen with almost all HD dealerships in the ND, MN area. In fact many of the Jap dealerships aren't much better. :no:
Well, you are in no mans land.

Cutty72
07-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Well, you are in no mans land.

true.