PDA

View Full Version : FRUCK brake bleeding

NONE_too_SOFT
04-02-2008, 11:55 AM
so i was outside playing with my bike, thinking of putting it back together. i started it up just to let it run for a few minutes before i check the oil, and while i was blippin the throttle a little bit after she was warm my dumb ass squeezes the brake lever.

yea the caliper was still off the mount on my front fork...

so how fuckin hard is it to bleed my brakes? anybody offer some tips? a summary of events.

I know i'll need some tubing to prevent the shit from getting on anything and some DOT4 fluid, anything else?

LaFemmes
04-02-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, for $10 go buy a break bleeder.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-02-2008, 12:00 PM
think i could get one at the autoparts store next door to me?

LaFemmes
04-02-2008, 12:03 PM
think i could get one at the autoparts store next door to me?

Yes sir. Auto Zone or Pep Boys should do it.

Phenix_Rider
04-02-2008, 12:06 PM
As easy as it is to bleed them, save the $10. It's a one man job. Just get your tube hooked good, make sure your bottle won't fall over, and pump away. The lever is less than 3 feet away from the caliper!

NONE_too_SOFT
04-02-2008, 12:14 PM
well heres what i got... all i need?

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/3843/attid018ab61cbsx5.png

napa auto parts 50 ft from the house is awesome.

marko138
04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
How does that 1 man jones work?

dubbs
04-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Not sure I understand... The only problem is that the piston is out of the caliper right?

I would think all you would have to do is just clamp the caliper to push the piston back in to slide it back over the pads.. Unless I'm missing somethin.. :idk:

NONE_too_SOFT
04-02-2008, 01:01 PM
yea i did. but they felt a little spongy...

the brakes are the one thing keeping you out of the car in front of you's trunk... i think i'll spend 20 bucks to make sure they're 100%

dubbs
04-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Obviously brakes are important....

From your original post it seemed you wanted to bleed the brakes to get the caliper back on.. Bleeding is very easy.. I did it when I replaced my lines with stainless. I bought a mity-vac which only required me to bleed the brakes like 5 times and they were solid..

Just pump, hold the lever, then bleed and repeat many times..

That tube might help ya out..

Good luck.

DLIT
04-02-2008, 01:43 PM
Dumbass.

LaFemmes
04-02-2008, 02:29 PM
http://www.vmaxchat.co.uk/images/Paul/Mvc-004f.jpg

From Sears

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947746000P?keyword=brake+bleeder

dubbs
04-02-2008, 02:32 PM

From Sears

Looks like you built that at home.. lol

PhiSig1071
04-02-2008, 02:41 PM
You shouldn't *have* to bleed your brakes after that, but if you want to you can, it's pretty easy.

Open the top of your brake fluid reservoir, put a short section of hose routed into a catch can on the bleed nipple and get a wrench (should be 10mm). Open the bleed valve on the caliper, pump the brake lever til it gets soft, close the bleed valve, pump til it firms up again, and repeat as many times as necessary. The trick is to keep an eye on the fluid in the reservoir and keep it topped off with new fluid, and watch for clean fluid to come out of the caliper (though the hose into the catch can) and you're golden. Obviously you have to do one line at a time, I usually do the riders right side first, then switch to the left, then go back to the right and make sure no old fluid got back into the caliper. The toughest thing to do is to make sure you keep the reservoir topped off, because if you get an air bubble in the lines you're farked. Oh and use GOOD brake fluid, I like Motul or Bel-ray.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-02-2008, 08:06 PM

From Sears

thx but im not trying to make moonshine, uncle jesse.

You shouldn't *have* to bleed your brakes after that, but if you want to you can, it's pretty easy.

Open the top of your brake fluid reservoir, put a short section of hose routed into a catch can on the bleed nipple and get a wrench (should be 10mm). Open the bleed valve on the caliper, pump the brake lever til it gets soft, close the bleed valve, pump til it firms up again, and repeat as many times as necessary. The trick is to keep an eye on the fluid in the reservoir and keep it topped off with new fluid, and watch for clean fluid to come out of the caliper (though the hose into the catch can) and you're golden. Obviously you have to do one line at a time, I usually do the riders right side first, then switch to the left, then go back to the right and make sure no old fluid got back into the caliper. The toughest thing to do is to make sure you keep the reservoir topped off, because if you get an air bubble in the lines you're farked. Oh and use GOOD brake fluid, I like Motul or Bel-ray.

yea, turns out, i never broke any seals so i didnt have to bleed. just cleaned the calipers, put the new pads in and was fine... just have to get the bike on the road so i can get them set.

dlit You Are The Dumbass

6doublefive321
04-02-2008, 09:18 PM
Bleed em anyway, dood. You're gonna have to learn how sooner or later. Its always a good idea to bleed in the spring due to moisture build up in the system. Do it!

NONE_too_SOFT
04-02-2008, 09:22 PM
I will, actually. but as for right now im gonna start getting shit back together...

In the next months im going to be chging plugs, fuel filter, and other stuff, i'll add that to the list.

azoomm
04-03-2008, 02:29 AM

One point that someone here in Austin couldn't manage... take the diaphram out of the reservoir. Don't extend it and pour fluid into it thinking it is the reservoir. In case you ever wanted to know the definition of Dumbass when talking about brakes. He called me after getting every last drop of fluid out of his lines... just to ask for help because he couldn't figure out why no fluid was coming out. He even openned all the banjo bolts. Wheeeeeeeee

PhiSig1071
04-03-2008, 11:50 PM
:lol:

Nice!

DLIT
04-04-2008, 09:13 AM
thx but im not trying to make moonshine, uncle jesse.

yea, turns out, i never broke any seals so i didnt have to bleed. just cleaned the calipers, put the new pads in and was fine... just have to get the bike on the road so i can get them set.

dlit You Are The Dumbass

You still squeezed the brake when the calipers were off. You're a dumbass. Seriously though, when I had to do some wheel and tire swapping, I left a peice of paper on my brake lever that said "don't squeeze the brakes". I pretty much do that every time the wheels will be off for longer than usual or any time I leave the area and the calipers are off.

Gas Man
04-05-2008, 01:36 AM
As easy as it is to bleed them, save the $10. It's a one man job. Just get your tube hooked good, make sure your bottle won't fall over, and pump away. The lever is less than 3 feet away from the caliper!
Exactly...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/OUCH/Rebuild/Day12048.jpg

Other end into a bottle of the correct and new brake fluid... pump pump pump pump till you don't get any more bubbles in the bottle. Then tighten the bleeder and check for pressure.

DIMford
04-05-2008, 08:28 AM
It's pretty simple to bleed and replace brake fluid. First time takes a while but after that the hardest part is getting the fairing off.

marko138
04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Why do you need to take the fairing off to bleed brakes?

dubbs
04-05-2008, 02:31 PM

excellent question... :wtf:

OneSickPsycho
04-05-2008, 03:59 PM
To remove the heads.. duh...

PhiSig1071
04-06-2008, 08:38 PM

'cause it's a fucking honda!

You have to take the radiator off to change the plugs!

:zowned:

marko138
04-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Apparently I'm missing something.

NONE_too_SOFT
04-07-2008, 10:00 AM
You still squeezed the brake when the calipers were off. You're a dumbass. Seriously though, when I had to do some wheel and tire swapping, I left a peice of paper on my brake lever that said "don't squeeze the brakes". I pretty much do that every time the wheels will be off for longer than usual or any time I leave the area and the calipers are off.

well like i said aparently i didnt squeeze it hard enough cause i never needed to bleed the system.

i did anyways though.

??? i donno.

azoomm
04-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Apparently I'm missing something.

You aren't the only one... someone has a new strange model with the calipers stuck up under the frame... :skep:

marko138
04-07-2008, 11:19 AM
You aren't the only one... someone has a new strange model with the calipers stuck up under the frame... :skep:
They must. :lol:

NONE_too_SOFT
04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
who said we needed to take fairings off to bleed brakes? it wasnt me, i dont think... mine were already off from the oil change anyways.

Phenix_Rider
04-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Random question: What's the average thickness of new brake pads?

ceo012384
04-08-2008, 03:09 AM
Taking the fairings off to mess with your brakes isn't a bad idea... might as well strip the bike down and do some other maintenance at the same time. You get a drop of brake fluid on your paint, it's fucked.

I'm doing SS lines and HH pads soon... SS speedbleeders came in recently too... just need some damn time.

dubbs
04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Taking the fairings off to mess with your brakes isn't a bad idea... might as well strip the bike down and do some other maintenance at the same time. You get a drop of brake fluid on your paint, it's fucked.

I'm doing SS lines and HH pads soon... SS speedbleeders came in recently too... just need some damn time.

Lines are a breeze, takes 30 mins.. We could do it at the track during lunch.. :dthumb:

No reason to take off fairings, just some towels by the master cylinder.

ceo012384
04-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Lines are a breeze, takes 30 mins.. We could do it at the track during lunch.. :dthumb:

No reason to take off fairings, just some towels by the master cylinder.
If I fuck it up then you can help me fix it when I get there :lol: